Movember (formally known as November)

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image84
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

This was in my email box this morning...

Movember(formally known as November) is a month long fund raising event during which participants(almost always adult males) attempt to grow a luxurious and stylish moustache throughout the month. They also ask people to sponsor them for this event, and all monies raised go toward mens health issues and further research...
    The rules are that at the start of the month the shaved smile must be photographed and posted, updates must be provided for donating parties, and at the end of the month the results must be photographed and displayed. In addition Participants may organise a Movember party do display the completed Mo!

Fun fun fun

1. cally2 profile image61
      cally2posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've joined up and am growing the mo for the good of my health. Its been three days and my wife hates it already. It's gonna be a long lonely month. help me get through by donating here
      http://nz.movember.com/mospace/317470

2. rmcrayne profile image96
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Wow never heard of such a thing.  Interesting idea.  The cynic in me however, says historically most research was geared toward men's health issues until the last decade or so. Most research into diseases and disorders were of male subjects, and therefore treatment for same centered around men's health.

1. darkside profile image58
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm interested to know what uniquely male diseases were well researched up until a decade ago.

(As yet they haven't found a cure for turning on the gene that makes a man put down the toilet seat wink)

1. rmcrayne profile image96
        rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I beg your pardon for not expressing myself well.  Up until the last decade (or maybe 2 decades; the less young I get the faster time goes by and distorts my perceptions of same), research subjects were skewed male.  Therefore findings and resulting treatments were biased toward males.  Heart disease is one example that is widely cited in the literature. 

And if you were just joking, never mind.  Toilet seat gene would be worthwhile.  But I'd be interested in the gene that jumps over the part where any idea that is the wife's idea is unimpressive.  If we could just skip to the part that usually happens later when the husband thinks it's his idea...

1. darkside profile image58
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was joking in part. The bit about the toilet seat.

Not to make this a heated debate so I'll throw in a smiley face so you know I'm not being Mr Cranky smile <-- See, smiley face... but isn't heart disease something that effects both sexes?

I was thinking more in terms of strictly female diseases versus strictly male diseases.

Breast cancer gets a lot of attention, and deservedly so. Prostrate cancer on the other hand hasn't had the same sort of publicity.

Raising funds for more research is always a good thing, but if nothing else if it raises the level of awareness then it should be encouraged. Typically, males don't go see a doctor to do check ups for things like prostrate glands. Pap smears are constantly advertised and pushed (and deservedly so) but getting guys into the swing of regular check ups benefits not only men, but society as a whole.

Look, another smiley face --> smile

Thank you for not being heated smile

My point about cardiac disease is that the etiology, sequale, morbidity and mortality are different for men and women.  Prevention and treatment therefore should be different.  And actually I can’t claim it as “my point”.  I’ve been exposed to this info multiple times. 

I agree that anything that raises attention and awareness of serious health issues, supports research etc is great. 

I also agree with you about attention to breast cancer vs prostate cancer.  Not to diminish the seriousness of breast cancer.  Prostate cancer is a really good example BTW smile  I’ve heard multiple physicians say that all men would get prostate cancer if they lived long enough.  I’ve never heard that said about breast cancer.  (And I’ve seen many breast cancer clients.)  I’d say personally I know as many men with prostate cancer as I do women with breast cancer. 

Finally, I’m all for anything that encourages facial hair on men smile

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image84
              Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you RM I just love facial hair on a guy.

Darkside you're absolutely right about most men not taking their health as serious as they should. The more awareness in all male or female health problem is raised the better.

We all need to learn to turn the radio down and listen to the rumbles coming from 'the old car'.  And that it's actually a good idea to 'complain' about ailments.  (If I had a dime for every client that told me "I don't like to complain".)

Ladies I've almost got facial hair.
                  Anyone for tickles?

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOLOLOL!

3. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

I could so rock this contest!

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image70
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking the same thing!  5 o'clock shadow?  I get a 2 o'clock shadow! big_smile

4. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years ago

I think it sounds like a lot of fun for the moustache growers. Anything to address health issues can be a good thing.

5. Gemsong profile image61
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

*looks at husband dozing in recliner* Then there are those who you can only grow oddly spaced tufts and should remain clean shaven.

Can you see me from there?
      smile

6. The Rope profile image60
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

What a fun idea!  In today's world anything that can make a profit for a cause and be fun at the same time, seems to get folks fired up and getting folks involved is a good thing.

7. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

is ED a disease?

8. Resolver2009 profile image59
    Resolver2009posted 14 years ago

Loving MOvember.. my MO grows stronger by the minute. wink

http://hubpages.com/hub/Movember

9. DogSiDaed profile image60
    DogSiDaedposted 14 years ago

I wanted to get involved, but my 6th form forced me to shave it off -.-

10. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I had never heard of this until this weekend.  The guys my daughter attends school with (University) call in No Shave November.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)