Accourding to you which will be the best gift for 12 year old ?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JASON NICHOLSposted 13 years ago

I want to give my son a gift for this christmas and new year. I was thinking to buy a mountain bike or a psp3 or a Xbox 360. Anything will do but My son is mostly intrested in tecnology and electronic things. Please suggest me what to buy.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ages 12 to late teens is a difficult time to buy gifts.
      It is an important transitional age.
      I can't suggest a particular gift, except for the one they need and desire the most -- your presence, time and influence.
      If there is a material gift that you can enjoy together, that makes memories between you and that gives you a chance to share common experiences and time together, it might be the best gift you have ever given.

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

xbox.  psp3 is too distracting and could get him in trouble at school or he could lose it or get it stolen etc.
      Also, you have parental power on the Xbox so he cannot play games you don't want him to play. smile

The bike is awesome but if he wants electronics then get him electronics.

1. profile image0
        JASON NICHOLSposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok then sandra rinic, I will give my sone a mountain bike plus and x box.
        And thanks for the reply:)

1. profile image0

But other hubbers, Please suggest me with some more gifts!

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
            Jean Bakulaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does he have an MP3 player so he can download his favorite music? The technology changes fast and even if he's had one for a few years, it may be obsolete. Tickets to a show?

3. home witch profile image69
      home witchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bike, I'd say. If your son's into technology, he needs to get out of the house and have more exercise or he'll end up just sitting in front of his computer all day. So the bike, for lots of reasons.

4. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jason:
      Give your son the money with a card telling him how much ya love him and ya want him to buy whatever he wants with it.
      When he opens the present, and reads your card, give him another good hug and tell him how much ya love and respect him!!!
      Qwark

2. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 13 years ago

Have you heard about that new motion thing for XBox? I think it's called Kinect.. It tracks your body movements without using a controller.

Personally, I don't like to give kids video games simply because I don't want them sitting around playing them all day.  This looks like something different though, it actually forces kids to get up and move.  I'd probably get an XBox, and then get that motion thing later on down the road - if he's that set on getting a gaming system.

1. profile image0

Yes Urbane Chaos, I have heard about the motion thing for XBox and you have suggested me a very good addition gift! Thanks for the suggestion! And you said it right, " This looks like something different though, it actually forces kids to get up and move".

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

If he's like most twelve-year-olds there's probably a thing or two he's got in mind that he'd like to have.  I think, maybe, finding out if there's one of those things he has in mind may be the best bet.  Different kids are different (although these days the electronics stuff seems to be "The Thing").  Some kids have a particular interest, though.  I know one twelve-year-old who loves music and collects Beatles stuff and Coke stuff.  I'd go with either trying to find out if there's one thing he's hoping to get, or else if there's something he's really interested in, and there's stuff you know he could use with it(like a kid with a guitar may like an amp - that kind of thing).

1. profile image0

Actually Lisa HW, My son aldready has a gituar and a normal one and he likes it a lot! But still thanks for the suggestion:)

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then how about stuff to go with it.   smile   My sons are guitar people (and grown up, by the way).  A couple of years ago "Santa" gave them each twelve-string guitars.  (I don't know if they use them or not, but they have them.   smile  )  OR, if he has electric, what about acoustic (or the other way around).

4. Eleanor's Words profile image95
    Eleanor's Wordsposted 13 years ago

My 10.5 yr old son wants an xbox for xmas, they are all the rage with his friends. We have the wii, but he likes the graphics on the xbox - he is also very interested in technology,

For his birthday last year he got an ipod touch, and he really loves that as well, because he is just getting into music. I know 12 year old boys as well and they all like the same things.

1. profile image0

Yes you are right Eleanor's Worlds, XBox graphics is much more better then Wii but Will is also good and looks attractive:) Now i am very much confused!

1. Eleanor's Words profile image95
        Eleanor's Wordsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wii has more family games, but boys of your son's age seem to prefer xbox as they think it is cooler, from my own experience.

My son likes games such as fifa 11, the graphics are much better on xbox. But then there are a lot of older games on xbox like call of duty and halo etc, that my son would love to play, but it not allowed to. There are quite good racing games though.
        Xbox has a lot of mature games compared to games for younger players, it seems.

My son wouls probably love playstation 3 as well, but they are pricey.

1. profile image0

Ok then Eleanor's Words I am going to give an XBox 360 to my son on Xmas. But what to give my son on new year?

1. Urbane Chaos profile image90
            Urbane Chaosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A really nice party hat? big_smile

5. kazemaru2 profile image60
    kazemaru2posted 13 years ago

a gift card or prepaid credit card to minimize the chance of giving a horrible gift.

1. profile image0

Ha, Ha, Ha that was very funny kazemaru2. My son is just 12 year old! Ever heard of a 12 year old having a credit card? My son may even loose it! LOL!

6. profile image0
    JASON NICHOLSposted 13 years ago

Anyone else who can suggest me with better gifts?

7. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

my son, aged 12 wants a ps3 but he also likes lego

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

YES! LEGO. Just a good one with lots and lots of things to do with it. The most expensive you can afford. Mine were crazy about lego.

8. jackie.t profile image59
    jackie.tposted 13 years ago

My son is 12 and loves Lego too! And anything to do with Star Wars! So naturally he's getting lots of Star Wars Lego for Xmas!

9. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

Most of the 12 year old boys that I know could really do with swift kick in the pants for Christmas. What? Oh, yeah. PC thuggery, of course. How silly of me!

I would suggest a book or a gift voucher from your local bookstore. Not enough kids spend enough time reading these days. Everything has be plugged in to the TV, computer, stereo, and make horrible noises.

And the biggest thing that a book has over a video game? The special effects are better.

10. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

How 'bout a 12-year-old girl? lol. She might be hard to wrap, however.

1. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Habee:
      My granddaughter is 12.
      I gave her $200 bucks in cash and drove her to the stores so she could spend it on things she wanted...or put it away for a rainy day.
      She spent $100 and put the rest away.
      The reward I got was worth, in dollars...thousands! She gave her "grampa" a big hug and said "I love you grampa!"
      That hit the soft part of my heart and tears filled my eyes.
      What I felt was inexplicable!
      Love is not a powerful enuf expression of my feelings at that moment.
      Qwark

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)