Is anyone Obsessed with HP and forums?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (57 posts)
  1. profile image0
    cookingdivaposted 13 years ago

Hi,

My name is cookingdiva and I am hubpage and hubpage addict. I have spent last 2 weeks about 15 hours day (yes I know, there are only 24 hours in a day) here.

I am reading, questions/answers, sometimes participating and commenting but mostly silently trying to learn from great and some interesting people (specially in answers section).

I took a part in 30 minutes challenge that took me over 3.5 hours to finish as I choose broad topic of Xmas movies. I guess I am very bad at math too. And I am not as quick writer as I thought, matter of fact, if anyone does slow hub challenge, I know I may win! :-)

I have stopped blogging on my blog, my family and friends do not remember me (in 2 weeks) as I am always on here. They are all threatening me to come back to real life.

I think and feel, I am beyond cure. Is this common to feel this way? Is there a cure?

I am planning to take a few days break to get my family out of my back...will it work? See I come here for answers.

Thanks for listening and reading.

1. profile image0
      cookingdivaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess, I am the only one :-)

1. saleheensblog profile image60
        saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol you are close to me but haven't beaten me yet. I am hubronie addicted too.

1. profile image0

Shifa,

Wow, You have spent more than 15 hours a day here? Then my friend you surely win!

I hope that there are more than 2 of us who are forum addict.

lol lol there are many more for sure

1. profile image0

I sure hope so :-)

2. profile image0
      Jake Gene Barnesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't say I was addicted... not quite yet anyway.

However, this is really the ONLY thing I do on the internet now-a-days (that's not an exaggeration either, lol).

Every time I get on my computer it's either to:

A: Listen to music

B: Write

C: Get on Hubpages

1. profile image0

Jack,

Sound like you have 3 good thing going! I do mostly B and C here :-) I guess I can do it while listening to music as I love it. Thanks for the idea.

3. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is the site I am usually on. While other people are on facebook I am on here.

My goal is to succeed on here. I like the forums. I can not say I am addict, however, this is where I am on the internet mostly.

The thing is, people on facebook can not make money, I can on here.

This is a great site, and can be very productive to learn and write wink

1. profile image0

David,

I am not on facebook but I heard some people are making money on FB, how? I wished I knew.

Hubpages I get to be creative, make money and make cyber friends, many benefits indeed. Good for you.

1. David 470 profile image81
          David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wait, how can people make money on fb? You mean the people who created it or???

no. there are many ways like creating application and others. Now you can write for facebook and earn digital currency which is great towards games within the website. http://www.facebook.com/product_application/ If you have paypal you can create a group to sell fb games' materials also. I have an account that was offered 500 dollar by someone but I just couldn't sell as I don't have a paypal. Many people earn a lot selling accounts and materials through their groups.

2. profile image0

David470,

I am guessing that people may advertise their money making site there to make money but not sure.

2. saleheensblog profile image60

people can make money from FB too

4. yolanda yvette profile image60
      yolanda yvetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know where you're coming from, but I don't think I'm that far gone yet.

I had been away from HubPages for about nine months.  I was working on other ventures.  I cheked my email about 2 weeks ago and saw that people were commenting on hubs I'd written way back.  And after getting to my moderator page to check the comments, I finally checked out my hubscore (the one on the profile picture (not sure that's what it's called) but it was 90 or close to it and I couldn't believe it was that high since I hadn't been active on here for nearly a year. 

Then the next thing I knew I'd been captivated, once again, by hubbing.

It's funny I ran across this post today.  Yesterday I was supposed to spend the day doing things other than hub or anything online.  The plan was:  get online for an hour or two at the most earlier in the day.  Then shut down the computer and do other things I needed to do. I ended up spending more than half the day online and on HubPages.  That's crazy.  I said I wasn't going to do the same today, and I'm not. 

The internet hasn't taken over my life, but it sure can overtake anyone's if you let it.  I'm not going down that road.  Everything in moderation.

It probably won't be easy for you, but you should TRY slacking off a little at a time.  Maybe give yourself a certain amount of time to be online, then when that time is up, get off the computer. Stick to whatever time you set.  Then perhaps, get back on the computer later. I have to do that myself sometimes.

As a matter of fact, it 3:42pm central time right now.  At 4 I'm getting offline so that I won't have a repeat of yesterday and end up getting nothing done.

I'll get back on later, I'm sure.  But taking the breaks helps.

You're not beyond cure.  You just need to exercise self-control.  And so do I.

1. profile image0

Yolanda,

So true! Thanks for detailed response. I am hoping to balance my hubpage addiction to normal level :-) let' see.

5. TheRaptorClaw profile image60
      TheRaptorClawposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am not obssessed but i like it a lot. It is something i like to do in my free time.

1. profile image0

Raptorclaw,

You're normal like me then ? tongue

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Is anyone obsessed with HP and forums? When I first stumbled on to HubPages, I was amazed at how simple the Platform was for writing. Then, when I began participating in the forums, to get to know people who were part of the community(which I learned from), was a huge bonus.

Yes, people can be addicted to the forums, because it is so easy to keep up with forum posting, almost like a chat type atmosphere. That's the attraction. A Chat isn't necessary, with the speed of the forums. Besides, you can talk to more than one person in a thread. So it has a similar feature to an open chat room. This is only providing you use forum decorum(if you are directly talking to someone else, you reply to their posts. If you are talking in general, then you simply post to the thread.).

HubPages ROCKS! without any doubt. smile big_smile

1. profile image0

Cags,

I agree, hubpages and Forum rocks. I used to hang out and answer people in Answers sections but after few spat over minor thing, I hardly go there and hang out here.

Most people here are so inspiring to me, that what makes it more addicting. :-)

3. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4251882_f248.jpg

1. profile image0

Skyfire,

Nice pic, care to elaborate?

4. evvy_09 profile image60
    evvy_09posted 13 years ago

I am not addicted, I just spend most of my time here...
    I know I'm not, I do do other things sometimes... ummm... I did go to sleep last night with no problems so that proves it right?

....Right?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes.  I did the same, and went to bed last night.  I had breakfast this morning, though I skipped lunch writing a hub.  That's OK, isn't it?

2. profile image0

Envy_09 and Widerness,

Yes, it surely proves you are not hubpages addict! :-) You're taking time to sleep and eat,

5. vicki simms profile image67
    vicki simmsposted 13 years ago

Cookingdiva, I am 100% addicted, I LOVE Hubpages, i'm very similar to you with quietly learning and reading everything although sometimes I do stick my nose in and add to the forums. I love reading the forums and hubs that help you learn new things. I really have learnt so much and i'm starting to know different hubbers who are great and really help me and others out, I asked a stupid question yesterday and they straight away helped me, they are great and its such a brilliant community big_smile

1. profile image0

Vicki,

Yes, it is fun to learn and be part of conversation. That is what I like about it. There are no stupid questions as long as we are learning ! I am sticking to this story :-)

6. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

I have to tell you, when i first found hub pages, i was absolutely addicted.  I couldn't even use a computer very well, but wanted to write, and communicate.......  I made some many friends, and it helped through a very difficult time, i have changed my name since, but still have some friends out there.  Never have i been so addicted to anything i was to the forums, and learning to write, i got so much encouragement.......

No time on hub pages is wasted, it is a great community and learning curve.....  alias, Brenda Scully, Poet Lorraine..... some may recognise these names.  And remember my 15 hour stints on here..... enjoy

1. profile image0

Joy56,

You are no time on hubpages is wasted is either doing something you love, eventually get paid and be with great people from the world. I just need to balance a life so I can do it all. It is fun to be here, as long as you stay away from religious and political things. :-)

7. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

I suppose I am drawn to the HubPages habit as I consider the time I spend here is what I think of as my 'time out' from problem sorting.

I found once I could say I had earned something through writing here, people did not think I was wasting my time any longer. In fact although I do not earn as much as some people here, I earn on some days what it took me a month to earn in the beginning (enough for a couple of cups of coffee) was my original quote for a month at the fifty hubs written stage.

After a day out when I come home, I like to check the Hubs out to see what is happening and then if I am in the mood to write I forget how long I am here for.

1. profile image0

2uesday,

I can imagine that. I do not know how much money, when I will make it here. But it sure is good and educational. I went out today and first thing I did was to check here :-)

I am learning a lot, which I did not learn from blogging.

8. lindajot profile image66
    lindajotposted 13 years ago

This is so funny that I came across this thread - I was literally thinking about how much time I spend on here reading, and writing of course.  I was so shy to post my first message on the forums, but, everyone is so nice here.
    I've learned so much from the "pros" here.  Haven't been so hooked on something for a very long time.

1. profile image0

Lindajot,

Yeah, me too.  leave it to me make a fool of myself to ask questions :-) I am enjoying and learning here.

9. princess g profile image60
    princess gposted 13 years ago

I spend way more time than I should, lately. But I love how active the community is, especially the forums

1. profile image0

Princess G,

Me too, I love it too. Did you find your hot guy? tongue

10. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

I expect to see everyone of you in Hub Therapy Monday morning bright and sharp!!!  lol  lol

It is also expected you be showered and fully clothed, as is expected in this writing profession.

Please have your Hub Journals and Logs up to date ,as these will be presented for quality and content.

Nice to meet all you  great cubby hubbers smile

Have fun and rest assured the addiction will subside, though for me it happened cold turkey ,relocated and no internet.
    ( After the shaking and trembling stopped ,it was actually good,because I had no distractions and wrote..( in preparation -of course)..lol )

1. profile image0

Eaglewiki,

Aye aye Captain, will be there!

I wish to have balanced in addiction so I can pay attention to all my likes. Some friends and family members seems to be missing my corky absence.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light.
        May good luck pursue you each morning and night. wink

Balance is a game ,sometimes ya get it right ,sometimes ya dont.

Communication helps a little.

What irriates me is my hubby is addicted to TV, and its whiney noise is constantly on,but TV abusers (lol) are often sarky as soon as you fire up the computer -Whats with that.
        Double standards..dont impress me much

Now I just give it back or express comments like ..You should have been a comedian,too funny ,or challenge him right back..

Geeze I really am too old to have to account to anyone what I turn on or off anymore  lol

11. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

I was seriously strung out on HP for over a year and only recently did I back off a bit.  But I actually needed a break from computers in general.  Like Joy, I am pretty new to computers and left behind an essentially sedentary existence in front of the TV when I needed to be entertained.  A couple of weeks ago, I pretty much disappeared from HP, just checking in every day for sh*ts and gr*ns.
    A number of days ago, I got to 'jonsing' for community and good writing-and of course, the friends I've made here.
    I LOVE this site and am glad to be back!!!

1. profile image0

Lorlie6,

Yes, Hubpages is very good but it is great have balance in life. Good for you, I hope it happens to me too.

12. lindajot profile image66

I'm sure everyone is glad you are back as well lorlie!  I'm sure I'll need a break as well some day - just not yet, lol.  But, it's only been about 6 weeks.
    And, Eaglekiwi - I shall be showered, but fully clothed . . .uh, m m maybe.  Is barefoot okay?

1. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!  Hey, lindajot, you know unless you have Skype, you don't have to wear a da*ned thing!!
      Barefoot is best, as well!

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Barefoot absolutely!

Highly recommended for Kiwis and Aussies this time of year too  smile

1. wytegarillaz profile image60
        wytegarillazposted 13 years agoin reply to this

been so hot just a sarong is best, was 44 deg sunday , will wear swimmers for swim tho , only skinydip in private!

13. libby101a profile image61
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

I think a lot of people get addicted quite easily to hubpages! It seems there is quite a few who get highly addicted to the forums. i know when I first came, I was very addicted to the forums...then I took a long break from the forums to write--now I am right at 100 hubs!

I think the forums are fun and probably a little too easy to get addicted--and truthfully they can keep you from writing hubs! So be sure to manage your time wisely! Don't get so hooked on forums that it keeps you from writing--because writing is the reason we are here!!!

1. profile image0

Libby101a,

Yes, being addicted to forum means less writing hubs, good point. No wonder my hubs at 15 only. Thanks for inspiration. I am learning this from forums too. Thanks for keeping me straight.

14. know one profile image60
    know oneposted 13 years ago

Tonight I seem to be! Staying up late while hubby works on a report... I'm supporting him from my study, but its nearly midnight and I think one more cup of tea, perhaps a post or two,  and I'm done in for the night.

1. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Im hardcore, I stay up with coffee lol

1. know one profile image60
        know oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol, never thought of that wink  Truly, I had too many double-shots during the day... was queasy at the thought of more. And yet here is another day with more double-shots chasing the tiredness away.  smile

15. Karanda profile image79
    Karandaposted 13 years ago

It's true, I'm an addict. HubPages, writing hubs, reading hubs, participating in forums. There's not much else that gets done around here unless it's related to hubbing. I even wrote a hub on it, hoping that someone would offer a cure for the addiction.

How comforting to see I'm not alone. lol lol lol

16. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

At the end of the day

I really like the Internet !! smile

17. lindajot profile image66

Oh my gosh, I thought I was gonna be late!  Insomnia was not my friend last night.  Still time to shower?  No matter - my hubbing day begins!

18. Joy56 profile image68
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

definately a good idea to stay away from politics and religion, as no fun when the rows start.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74

I agree ,sometimes the forums get well...childish ,and I come to escape parenting  lol

19. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

Is anyone Obsessed with HP and forums?

Not me, I can quit anytime.

20. lindajot profile image66

I've heard the 12 step thing doesn't work here.

1. profile image0

Knowone, Richib799, Karanda, Eaglekiwi, Lindajot,  joy56, Disturbia,

Thank you so much for your voice and input. I am glad to know I am in company of great people and not alone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)