...so was Einstein a Deist?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (90 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

http://www.bigquestionsonline.com/colum … 80%99s-god

I thought what he said to the Besso family was very interesting - and it was said near the end of Einstein's life.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nothing unusual for old Al.  He was speaking dimensionally, not religiously.  He was such a kidder!

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So you're saying that he didn't believe in a Creator?

This makes it sound like he DID believe in a Creator:

When he turned 50, Einstein granted an interview in which he was asked point-blank, do you believe in God? “I am not an atheist,” he began. “The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn’t know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws.”

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He believed in a higher power, because chaos has patterns. Patterns point to "intelligence" especially inside of chaos.
          He is basing this statement on the fact that the mind cannot grasp eternity/infinity/never-ending.
          He is talking about Humanity being in it's infancy versus the knowledge ahead.
          The laws and theories acknowledged as part of all knowable knowledge. It deals with exploring reality. Which is what science ultimately does.
          And, he is right- we do not know where the laws, of physics comes from. We may never know. Was it planned? Part of a design?
          Again, he is talking about exploring reality via science.
          He believed in a higher existence. I think I read somewhere that he thought that the next evolutionary process would be to pure energy. smile

Just my view on what was said. smile

2. Randy Godwin profile image59

He did not know.  He was honest.  He saw no logical reason for a deity to act in the manner that any religious cult would believe in.  I have to agree with old Al!

1. habee profile image92

So why wasn't he just a confirmed atheist? Why did he refer to God so many times? How can you argue that he wasn't referring to a Supreme Being when he said, "...someone must have written those books." I'm sure his library analogy isn't lost on you...because you're so smart.

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
          mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Fabulous quote Habee, and the words he said are so intuitive and true to most of us..... after all, we are too small in our minds to understand the whole concept of 'God' if we are all truly honest!!

1. habee profile image92

I agree, Misty! When I think about it for very long, my mind starts going in circles.

2. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why do believers feel the need to fabricate things about Einstein? It's rather entertaining but it sure gets boring fast.

Einstein was a scientist and spent his time thinking about physics. He could care less and thought little of gods and religions. He didn't attend churches, he didn't pray, he didn't do or talk about anything believers want to believe that he did.

Try getting over it, folks. smile

2. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I thought this was interesting "...I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth."

He kind of summed up a lot of atheists in the forums.

Believers too, for that matter. LOL!  Glad I am agnostic!

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

And how do you interpret this?

“He has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. For us believing physicists, the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubborn illusion.”

Sounds like he believed that death is not final. What does he mean by "believing physicists"?

And what about this:

When asked his motivation for doing physics, Einstein replied: “I want to know how God created the world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details.”

He obviously believed that God created the world.

4. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

He wasn't referring to "books" in the literal sense.  He is referring to things we do not know.  That we suspect, perhaps!  but we still do not know.

The "believing physicists" remark refers to those who believe the theories espoused and originted by Al and many of his peers and supporters.  Sort of a "maybe, but most probably not."

He was often indignant when believers tried to interpret his words in a way which favored their beliefs.  It still goes on today.  LOL!

1. habee profile image92

I'm sure you've read this, but he was also indignant when atheists tried to say he didn't believe in God, and that still goes on today!

"I am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."

He also said, "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic … faith.html

1. MissE profile image77
        MissEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Einstein's the man!  big_smile

5. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I think what confuses many people is that they cannot see the difference in "a god" and "The God."  I don't think Albert ever suggested they were one and the same.  And his feelings on the matter seemed to lie more in line with the former rather than the latter.

1. habee profile image92

That doesn't work, Randy. Al said the he wanted to know "His" thoughts - singular, capital H. God with a capital G. If he had meant "gods," he would have said "their thoughts," not "His thoughts." Good effort, though! lol

Eisntein said several times that he didn't believe in a god who was involved with the daily goings on of man. That's why he sounds like a Deist to me.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Einstein was pushed into having an opinion about god and was pretty clear he thought religion and a personal god was nonsense -

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms."

"I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings."

Hey - I could believe in this god that does not have anything to do with the Universe. Why not?

I certainly wish this is the one you lot believed in. wink

1. habee profile image92

Didn't have anything to do with the universe? Einstein believed God created the universe!

No he did not. Spinoza's God did no such thing. I would do some research before making such a wrong statement. That is the problem with your beliefs - anything that sounds like it might validate them is instantly accepted as fact and propagated by the faithful. wink

1. habee profile image92

When asked his motivation for doing physics, Einstein replied: “I want to know how God created the world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts, the rest are details.”

"I want to know how God created the world..."

I'm not sure how else to interpret that, Mark!

You will do once you understand Spinoza's God. That Einstein was clear is the only one he could believe in. Look at how you are pressuring me - how much pressure do you think Einstein got? lol

6. Rishy Rich profile image71
    Rishy Richposted 13 years ago

Einstein was not an atheist & Its not at all a new revelation, anyone with little knowledge about Einstein should be aware of that!

However, Even if he used the word 'God' in several interviews or in conversation with others, one should keep it in mind that it is not the same God of Bible or Torah or any other scriptural God we are aware of.

A major characteristic of Einstein's God is Non-interference. He tried to portray God with Harmony & Laws of physics that refuses to interfere in the Fate, Destiny & Lives of Man & any other life forms of this Universe.

Among the existing religions, Einstein showed his affection only for Buddhism  & thought only this faith might have a profound impact in the future.

Dont forget that the same Einstein also stated 'Personal God' is a major source of CONFLICT. The same Einstein also stated the followings:

1. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)

2. I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings. (Albert Einstein)

So you see, Although he talked about 'God', its obviously not the God you understand. To him, a RELIGIOUS man was someone who searched for knowledge in a Science Lab, not a man who goes to Church or reads the same holy book again & again! 

A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man. (Albert Einstein)

Quoting certain lines from a man's life & misinterpreting it doesnt change the fact that he wasnt an admirer of the known religions. At best, One can say he was an Agnostic. But to say, he was a DEIST, I think one needs to define DEISM from a new angle first.

7. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Wow. Read what he says about Jesus and atheists!

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic … -1,00.html

Dear me. Like I said - anything that sounds like it validates your beliefs is instantly accepted as fact. This is a lie made up by desperate religionists. Do you accept everything you read in an online article as fact so easily?

And if you have read and understood Spinoza's concept of God in those few minutes - I am impressed - because it took me months to grasp. wink

2. Rishy Rich profile image71
      Rishy Richposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@habee

Your bounded rationality is a blessing for you, but its a curse for humanity  neutral

3. Woman Of Courage profile image62
      Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

habee, Thanks for sharing the link. I found this information very inspring. Einstein's words were very clear. He wanted to know how God created the world smile Awesome!

8. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

How do you explain this?

You accept the historical existence of Jesus? "Unquestionably! No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life."

No, Mark. I don't believe Time made up Einstein's words. I'm not pressuring you - lol. You came to this thread of your own free will, which, of course, Einstein didn't believe in. Why do you doubt the authenticity of the Time article?

I realize that Al's views on God were much different than mine.

Just look at you. You don't believe it is possible someone made up those words and put them into his mouth? Interesting that you accept this completely out-of-character reference as a fact. Because religious people are so incredibly honest? lol When you understand Spinoza's concept of god - you will understand more.

Einstein though your religion is childish nonsense and said so on many occasions. When pressured - he said he could believe in Spinoza's god - a conceptual being with no involvement in the physical world.

He  thought the term atheist was nonsense also - as I do - but am stuck with it because of you guys. How silly. Are you an anazi? wink

And yes - Al's god and your god are two entirely different things. Al thought that yours could not and does not exist, and that people who thought it did were being childish.

1. habee profile image92

Mark, I don't think Time is a religious magazine. Obviously, Einstein's views changed over time, according to the article.

I never said Time is a religious magazine. Einstein maintained until his dying day that your god does not and can not exist. Hearsay in an online magazine? OK - must be true.  wink

"I believe in Spinoza's God, who reveals himself in the lawful harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."

Read about Spinoza. Far as I recall, he was thrown out by both the Jews and Christians for heresy and atheism. wink

1. pisean282311 profile image63
            pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well but thinking that god interferes in one of species life out of so may species in the world is not something which AI can be expected to belief...He studied how universe operates and his views would be more holistic..isn't it?

2. habee profile image92

I said that Einstein didn't believe that God interfered with the doings of man. Deists don't either.

3. habee profile image92

Why is your direct quote more valid than the ones I cited?

Because it is taken from a letter that Einstein wrote. And the letter exists.

http://www.einsteinandreligion.com/spinoza2.html

The "direct quote," of yours is hearsay that some else said he said at a gathering.

He said this many times in any case - now go read Spinoza - and you will see what I am talking about.

He was not a Deist - correct me if I am wrong but Deists think God started the Universe and then vanished? Sounds like atheists who do not want to be labeled "atheist." wink

1. habee profile image92

This quote is also from a letter:

"The fanatical atheists," he wrote in a letter, "are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who--in their grudge against traditional religion as the 'opium of the masses'-- cannot hear the music of the spheres."

Yes - and? Some of them are like that. I was for a while. So what? Religion does a lot of damage and a lot of people are pissed off because of that.

http://www.relativitybook.com/resources … igion.html

Now tell me where that letter is. wink

2. pisean282311 profile image63

No myth is filled with such life.???...well habee there are many myths world over which are far more entertaining that jesus christ...they are far more vibrant..but jesus is not myth according to me...he did exist...but yes he is not what he is made out to be according to my opinion...

I agree with AI's point of view...I find personal god or god who judges and such things to be human's manifestation of how god should be...it is not holistic view....

1. habee profile image92

I didn't say that, Pisean - Einstein did.

AI did?...well then i disagree with AI on jesus being myth part...

We have two perspectives on the life of Jesus. Historical & Spiritual/Mythical.

When we study the historical perspective, we learn about a man who got crucified about 2000 years ago for his teachings about life. We dont see any factual evidence that God put his Mojo in mary to bring his Son in this world. We dont see any evidence of Jesus performing miracles. Even if he did perform such miracles, theres no verification whether those were street magic tricks or truly miracles. In fact, we dont have any information on his life between the age 12 - 30. This man had less than 500 followers, who did not stand beside him while he was dragged away. The teachings of this Jesus was later accepted by the Roman government which obviously made necessary changes in the context.

If Einstein ever showed his gratitude for Jesus, he showed it from Historical perspective, not for the legendary, mythical Son of God you are thinking of!

9. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

He can't reconcile what he knows from what he really feels - and from what comes out of his mouth. In the end, he believes what he feels as that of what he knows. He is a deist.

10. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

Who is AI?

habee is on first name terms with the late Dr Einstein. big_smile

1. habee profile image92

I knew you would pin that on me. Randy was the first to call Einstein by his first name. I was just following suit because it was easier to type. Uh huh, blame it on the Christian and let the agnostic slide! lol

Mark, I thought I understood that Spinoza equated god with nature - until he said that those who think that are wrong. Yep, I think it will take me some time to figure him out - if I ever do!

Sorry! Just because Al used to call and ask me for my opinion on certain theories, I sometimes forget you guys know him by a different title.

But he'll always be Al to me!

11. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Oh, I agree, Rishy. But he believed that Jesus of Nazareth actually lived. I guess that kind of surprised me. Many non-Christians don't believe that such a human being ever existed.

No - some religious person said he believed this, and it is so out of character - I think it is a lie.

Yet you are taking it as a fact. Why?

1. habee profile image92

Okay, Mark, I see what you're saying about this.

I have no idea for sure if he said it or not - but religious people are often not 100% honest in these matters and it really is out of character if you read the other things he said.

2. habee profile image92

Oops, Mark. The Jesus quote came from an interview with Viereck - it wasn't overheard at a party.

Ah - OK - so he believed Jesus existed. What does that mean and how does that have any bearing on his being a Deist or not?

Or are you trying to get some sort of validation by association? wink

Going Christmas shopping now - nice chatting with you and I learned something I didn't know - always welcome. big_smile

1. habee profile image92

I always enjoy our discussions, Mark! Happy shopping!

2. habee profile image92

No, I don't need validation. I was just surprised that Einstein believed in Jesus. And while I have no doubt that Einstein did not believe in the divinity of Christ, he evidently supported the teachings of Jesus and other religious leaders as positive:

The following comes from "What Life Means to Einstein: An Interview by George Sylvester Viereck,"The Saturday Evening Post, Oct. 26, 1929, p. 17. The questions are posed by Viereck; the reply to each is by Einstein. Since the interview was conducted in Berlin and both Viereck and Einstein had German as their mother tongue, the interview was likely conducted in German and then translated into English by Viereck.

Some portions of this interview might seem questionable, but this portion of the interview was explicitly confirmed by Einstein. When asked about a clipping from a magazine article (likely the Saturday Evening Post) reporting Einstein's comments on Christianity taken down by Viereck, Einstein carefully read the clipping and replied, "That is what I believe."[6]

"To what extent are you influenced by Christianity?"

"As a child, I received instruction both in the Bible and in the Talmud. I am a Jew, but I am enthralled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene."

"Have you read Emil Ludwig's book on Jesus?

"Emil Ludwig's Jesus," replied Einstein, "is shallow. Jesus is too colossal for the pen of phrasemongers, however artful. No man can dispose of Christianity with a bon mot."

"You accept the historical existence of Jesus?"

"Unquestionably. No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life. How different, for instance, is the impression which we receive from an account of legendary heroes of antiquity like Theseus. Theseus and other heroes of his type lack the authentic vitality of Jesus."

"Ludwig Lewisohn, in one of his recent books, claims that many of the sayings of Jesus paraphrase the sayings of other prophets."

"No man," Einstein replied, "can deny the fact that Jesus existed, nor that his sayings are beautiful. Even if some them have been said before, no one has expressed them so divinely as he." On Buddha, Moses, and Jesus

Our time is distinguishedby wonderful achievements in the fields of scientific understanding and the technical application of those insights. Who would not be cheered by this? But let us not forget that knowledge and skills alone cannot lead humanity to a happy and dignified life. Humanity has every reason to place the proclaimers of high moral standards and values above the discoverers of objective truth. What humanity owes to personalities like Buddha, Moses, and Jesus ranks for me higher than all the achievements of the enquiring and constructive mind.

What these blessed men have given us we must guard and try to keep alive with all our strength if humanity is not to lose its dignity, the security of its existence, and its joy in living.[7]

12. Rishy Rich profile image71
    Rishy Richposted 13 years ago

I really found your Time Magazine article amusing smile & I am pretty sure you have not read it throughly or you intentionally manipulated it. The whole article provides information which clearly postulates that Einstein did not believe in any kind of scriptural God, rather he understood God as harmony or laws of Universe, much like Spinoza. The following quotes are from the same Time Magazine link you provided above:

1. "Through the reading of popular scientific books, I soon reached the conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true. The consequence was a positively fanatic orgy of free thinking coupled with the impression that youth is intentionally being deceived by the state through lies; it was a crushing impression." (Page 1, last para)

2. Do you believe in immortality?

"No. And one life is enough for me." - Perhaps he did not believe in afterlife.

3. "The main source of the present-day conflicts between the spheres of religion and of science lies in this concept of a personal God" (Page 3, Para 4)

4. Einstein, on the other hand, believed--as did Spinoza--that a person's actions were just as determined as that of a billiard ball, planet or star. (Page 3, Para 6)

5. For some people, miracles serve as evidence of God's existence. For Einstein it was the absence of miracles that reflected divine providence. The fact that the world was comprehensible, that it followed laws, was worthy of awe. (Page 3 ,Last Para)

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic … -1,00.html

I BELIEVE NO FURTHER ARGUMENT IS REQUIRED ON THIS ISSUE...lollollol

1. habee profile image92

We're arguing? I thought we were having a friendly debate! No one's been nasty!

1. Rishy Rich profile image71

So I guess you have nothing relevant to response? Dont try to switch topics like kids do. Its better to admit mistakes than continuing pointless conversations...

I would appreciate if you admit now that you had been WRONG about Einstein. smile

Will you do it for the sake of truthfulness?? roll

1. habee profile image92

Rishy, no one is forcing you to continue this conversation. I said:

E did not believe in a personal god

E stated that he was not an atheist

E said he believed that Jesus lived and that the teachings of Jesus and others are good for humanity

E's and Spinoza's ideas of a god were very different than mine

I could be wrong about the Deist part, but if E beleived in a creator or a creative power with "superior intelligence," I'm not sure what he meant. Perhaps he was referring to the universe itself?

So hypocrisy choses to continue over truthfulness. But thanks for at least admitting that you were wrong about the 'DEIST' part.

2. habee profile image92

You said E saw no use for any known religions: "he wasnt an admirer of the known religions." It doesn't sound that way in the Saturday Evening Post interview:

"What these blessed men have given us we must guard and try to keep alive with all our strength if humanity is not to lose its dignity, the security of its existence, and its joy in living."

Do Einstein's own words seem to contradict what you said? Please tell me how you interpret the above words by Einstein, just for the sake of truthfulness.

"What these blessed men have given us we must guard and try to keep alive with all our strength if humanity is not to lose its dignity, the security of its existence, and its joy in living."

where these men blessed...well yes...how can ordinary men who thinks about his life , his family , his bread , his success create something like these...so they were different ...and we can call them blessed...

secondly religion is relevant...

First of all, if you really want to know about a famous person, try to read his biographies. Dont haste your judgments from a Saturday evening post. I have mentioned in my first post that he only admired Buddhism among the known religions. Here is what he said about it:

1. Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: It transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural and spritual; and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity. -Albert Einstein

It is clear from this statement, Einstein did not like Dogmas & theology which is apparent in other known religions.

2. If there is any religion that would cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism. -Albert Einstein

Obviously he saw no future for Biblical God

3. A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe'; a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compasion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely but striving for such achievement is, in itself, a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. -Albert Einstein

These three statements clearly shows his affection for Buddhism & not to forget that Buddhism is the only religion which has refuted a creator GOD. Buddhism is also fundamentally very different from Abrahamic religions. If someone believes in Buddhism, he can not believe in concepts of other monotheistic or polytheistic pantheons.

Other than that, I would like to repeat 1 quote from the above about Christianity:

"Through the reading of popular scientific books, I soon reached the conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true. The consequence was a positively fanatic orgy of free thinking coupled with the impression that youth is intentionally being deceived by the state through lies; it was a crushing impression." (Page 1, last para)

Hope this works for you.

1. habee profile image92

Rishy, much of the info I cited in earlier posts WERE from Einstein's biography by Walter Isaacson. I'm surprised you didn't recognize the excerpts.

And really, I'd think Einstein's own words in an interview would be more revealing than something someone else said about him.

Then study other interviews as well rather than sticking to a single Sunday Evening post. Also try to cover all his quotes & opinions about religion rather than sticking to few selective lines from all his sayings. That would help you to get rid of the nonsense you were assuming about Einstein.

2. Woman Of Courage profile image62
                Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

habee, Interesting, Einstein's own words in an interview should be more revealing to everyone than something someone else said about him. I am in total agreement. smile

Absolutely. He said the Christian religion is childish nonsense. I trust you agree?

How revealing is that?

1. habee profile image92

Yes, I agree that he said that.

2. habee profile image92

I said that I did not believe E was a Christian. Believing in the existence of Jesus as a human being is far different than believing in His divinity.

BTW, have you guys seen the info about the House of David in National Geographic? I haven't read it yet. A friend just told me about it. Anyone seen it?

13. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Did Einstein say clearly that he was an Atheist?

no paar einstein was not atheist...he also didn't believe in known religion.....he conceded that only buddhism is compatible with modern science ...rest he called child like...he didnt believe in personal god theme , nor he believed that god would be interested in interfering in day to day affairs...but he was not atheist either...

14. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

Fascinating articles - thank you for sharing them, habee.

It's amusing to see the atheists assiduously claim Einstein as an atheist, with as much fervor as they reject Hitler as one. wink In his many quotes on the topic of religion, he doesn't bear any animus towards different religious beliefs, only towards nationalism, which he presciently described as an infantile disease. He also says atheists are reacting to a childhood of religious doctrination, which has been my impression, frankly, too.

It's clear to me that Einstein's thoughts on religion were fairly complex, and understandably so given  his study on relativity, causality, and other matters related to physics that he was trying to reconcile with his "childlike" wonderment at the unexplainable. He clearly believed that the universe was eventually understandable, but that mankind is still far too primitive to understand any of it.

1. habee profile image92

Great post, LL! Do you think we humans will ever be able to fully explain the workings of the universe?

1. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I think so. But that's just my hope/belief. smile It's beyond my comprehension, but hopefully our descendants will continue the process of inquiry and arrive at a greater understanding.

What about you?

1. habee profile image92

I don't know. Sometimes it seems that the more humans learn, the more mysteries we uncover. lol

I often wonder if man will survive long enough to unravel the mysteries. We seem to be hell-bent on a path of self-destruction.

Yes, it unfortunately seems that way often...which underscores our need for moral development to parallel that of our scientific development, too. (beating swords into plowshares, etc) smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Was Hitler an atheist? Good for him.   I though he just hated those who claimed to be God's chosen people. Oh well - I am sure that will not cause an issue- why would it?

He hated several other types of people, too, all of whom challenged German-Aryan ideas of racial superiority.

And I wasn't saying he was an atheist, only that neither atheists nor the religious want to claim him.

I will claim him if you like.

He was an instrument of the Banking System of the day. The self same system of today.

15. Pandoras Box profile image59
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

Goodness gracious, poor Einstein. The man was honest, and spoke quite clearly of his UNKNOWINGNESS!

Like the rest of us, Einstein didn't know. As a smart man, he recognized the obvious falsity of the 'known' gods, but was also too honest to negate any possibility of a higher power. He saw order in his studies, and wondered at the soure of that order.

That's it! That was the extent of Einstein's faith and atheism.

He was very simply an honest man with intellectual integrity who didn't know, like most honest men with intellectual integrity.

But like Jefferson the christians never will leave him alone.

1. habee profile image92

I agree that Einstein was agnostic. From what I've read, he sometimes struggled with his views on God and on an "intelligent designer" of the universe. I love and admire his sense of wonder - our minds are too small (I think he said "feeble") to comprehend such wonder and order.

16. Beege215e profile image57
    Beege215eposted 13 years ago

Just a touch of clarification. A Deist believes in God but does not believe in religion.  God did not just create the world and go away, he exists. It seems to me at Einstein was a Deist. I am. And I believe in Jesus as well. He was a son of God,in the sense that we are all children of God. Jesus was a good man as was Muhammad and many other prophets that have tried to show mankind about a peaceful loving decent existance. I have no argument with your religions, I just have a different way of relating to God.

1. habee profile image92

Right. Many Deists believe that Jesus was a philosopher. Some believe that he never existed at all.

17. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Einstein said, "My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. That deeply emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God."

Who/what is the "superior spirit" and the "superior reasoning power" he spoke of? Do you think it's Nature?

18. profile image57
    C.J. Wrightposted 13 years ago

It would appear he was a deist that did not believe the common explanations, or lack there of, comming from established religion. One could also easily argue that he was simply unwilling to exclude the idea of a deity because he didn't have all the answers....

1. habee profile image92

That seems reasonable.

1. profile image57
        C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thank you, since the statements were made late in life. He could have been hedging his bets!LOL

Yay  No god ! Seems like he was not !

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Yes - seems like he dismissed all the easy answers wot u sed! Awesome.

19. Beege215e profile image57
    Beege215eposted 13 years ago

C J Wright,  none of us has the answers, not philosophers, religionists, scientists. As Gertrude Stein once said
    " There is no answer, There never was an answer, there will never be an answer. That is the answer"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)