Best Hub Length

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Benjimester profile image88
    Benjimesterposted 13 years ago

I've been experimenting with different hub lengths and was wondering if anyone has found what they consider to be the best length that a hub should be.  I'm experimenting with hubs that are between 1000-1200 words, whereas before I was publishing hubs that were between 600-750 words.  Has anyone noticed if there's a noticeable difference between longer articles and shorter in terms of traffic, indexing, or pagerank?  Thanks.

1. Dale Nelson profile image38
      Dale Nelsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good question. It has been debated a few times, but my opinion has changed over the last few months.

My opinion is that persons searching for relief and answers to questions will generally be happy with 500 - 600 words if the solution is clearly available.

Persons however reading general interest pieces and articles containing fact or historic reason, would absorb as much content as possible from one article.Therefore this is where aiming for lengthly content of 1200 - 2000 words would be spent.

Product articles are better served in short succint lists of pros and cons and technical data with the focus being on product options once educated on the primary benefits of the product.

Benjimesterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think I agree with you, though I would throw in the caveat that 500-600 word articles that are answering a question really would depend on the complexity of the question.

2. pisethz profile image62
        pisethzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Even a 250 or 300 words is difficult for me as English is my second language, i don't see much impact from my article and aiming to reach 700 to 1000 words in the coming year. I hope to see better result in term of converting benefits.

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

my hubs are reasonably long, but I break them up with photos etc to avoid long chunks of text.  I also try to use fresh text capsules regularly so people can quickly skim down to next portion if want. No-one has complained my hubs are too long.  One person said I might have gone a bit overboard with the number of links in my last hub (could cull a few)

3. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I usually say 400-1000 is good. Try and make them at least 500. Sometimes 1000 words does not look like that much, but its just because text appears small.

2. CASE1WORKER profile image63
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

the only one I have that earns a decent amount of money is quite long

3. katiem2 profile image59
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

Good question.  I think it is more about content.  You have got to provide the reader with good and interesting content.  They do like to learn something and your content earns their loyalty or not.  I must stick with the content answer.  Some things can be said in fewer words so a variance in length is do doubt a given.

smile

That's very true.  I agree that good content is very much more important than length and that often overly long content bores the reader.  However, I also wonder if there's a specific range of content that Google's algorithm seems to prefer to other lengths.  Most of my best performing hubs saw a nice boost in traffic once I added more sections and brought them up to around 1000 words each.  So I was wondering if that's a good practice right from the start.

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

The longer it is, the more secondary keywords there are. smile

That's exactly what I was thinking, why I originally started the testing.  More long tailed keyword phrases.

5. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

I personally skim to parts that look interesting, big walls of texts are too much reading for me in most cases when I'm searching. But I seem to be the only person who thinks that.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.

As a rule, I'm big on lots of small paragraphs.

6. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 13 years ago

Good content is naturally a necessity and long tracts of text are more interesting if broken up with photos, links and the like but I can't answer your question.  I'm also curious...so will be watching answers to your question.

7. Benjimester profile image88
    Benjimesterposted 13 years ago

Yeah, I really agree with long blocks of text being too overwhelming.  I'm thinking that having at least 1 new heading per 2 paragraphs is probably key.  In a 1000 word article, I generally have at least 5 different headings.  That probably breaks it up a lot nicer, both for the reader as well as for Google.  At least that's the hope. 

I did a 3 month chunk of 600-750 word articles.  I'm going to write a month's worth of 1000-1200 word articles and see if there's a noticeable difference.  I'll let you know if there is Peggy.

1. Peggy W profile image95
      Peggy Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Benjimester!

8. july18 profile image59
    july18posted 13 years ago

Ah, the age old question: Does size really matter? Or is it more a matter of technique?

1. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile

9. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 13 years ago

At the first HubCamp, we recommended a word count between 250 and 1000, but the ultimate optimal count depends on the subject and content of the hub big_smile

1. wordscribe43 profile image91
      wordscribe43posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I don't even think I could describe my forearm in 250 words...  smile

1. Pandoras Box profile image59
        Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm blown away by that as well. 250 word hubs. *Recommended.* hmm

2. saleheensblog profile image60
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if it's not a poem or a how to type hub I don't think 250-400 words can create a quality hub. And those 300 words sales hubs are not quality hubs from my viewpoint.

3. Benjimester profile image88

250-1000 words is a pretty huge margin though.  I mean in percentages, 1000 words is 400% larger than 250 words.  I can see how it would depend greatly on subject matter though.  I guess each hub is unique and needs to be as long as it takes. 

I'm just a born numbers guy smile  I like to maximize my time, and if in general it makes no difference in traffic whether hubs are 600 words long or 1000 words, I'd just as soon try and maximize my time and write twice as many hubs.  But as an author who wants to give out quality information, it really all comes down to writing as much as it takes to fully cover the topic.

10. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

For me a quality hub contains 600-800 words, lots of small paragraph with a bold headline and at least a couple of relevant photos.

11. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

hi- I would say it's about the content, but would add that hubs about 600-750 are ok for small sales type hubs- but for anything else i would look at 1450-1850 maybe even more.

12. deuxlai profile image61
    deuxlaiposted 13 years ago

Short hubs to build backlinks while long hubs for seo purposes. Just my 2 cents

1. ofmelancholy profile image59
      ofmelancholyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

is linking a hub to an other hub backlinking, or you link external sites on your hubs?

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is still considered backlinking but it is internal, not external. Internal backlinks do help as well so continue to do that.

13. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/50840

That may help with the question of hub length.

14. profile image0
    akycrawlerposted 13 years ago

Writing good content with longtail keywords sems to be the best bet from what I hace seen. Using many variations of this keyword sprinkled thru the text will certainly help.

Adding additional capsules with subtopic headings for related search terms will help you rank for more then one keyword set if the content is good.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)