What Makes A Great Story?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Sarah Masson profile image60
    Sarah Massonposted 13 years ago

We all like different genres for different reasons but what do you believe are the elements of a great story?

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think beyond the standard writing-class stuff of good character, desire, conflict, change, etc., what really has to happen is the writing must be good. Not just grammatical and proofread, but truly good, with style. It must be marvelous to read. I think of lines from Shakespeare all the time and am like, GAWD, that is sooooooo good. An example from Hamlet is the lines:

Thrift, thrift, Horatio, the funeral bak'd-meats
      Did coldly furnish forth the marriage tables.

I mean, he could have just written, "Wow, they got married really soon after the funeral." That would have served just as well to convey the point, right?

When someone can tell a story WELL, selecting details to share in such a way, the experience of reading becomes one of immersion. It's not just a story, it's an adventure in language and cleverness and character and poetics and puzzles and just lots of things. (Which is why people still read Shakespeare despite how "hard" it is.)

1. Rafini profile image83
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

an adventure in language and cleverness and character and poetics and puzzles and just lots of things

gotta agree with Shadesbreath

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Any story which engages the reader in some way.  We must be able to identify with the protaganist, we must be able to become part of his life.  Even an antagonist must, in some way, draw us in.  We must feel sorry for him or want to help him or even hate him.  Above all, what makes a good story is honest writing.  By that I mean that the writer cannot withhold information, cannot change tack in the middle of the story.  We, the reader, must feel we've been dealt fairly.  Don't confuse this with twisting plot.  It's more about keeping the story true to its genre down to the smallest detail.

3. JamesRTaylor profile image61
      JamesRTaylorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A really great story comes only when the fictional characters are more real, more personable and, more believable than a live person. The character doesn't of necessity have to be a likable one, simply a truly believable one.
          Of course, plot development and reader involvement are essential to the successful telling of any tale. Scenes, dialogue and interactions are of no less value in conveying the story, but, to be written truly greatly the prose must paint a picture to "show" the reader what's taking place instead of simply "telling" them.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60

Wasn't In Cold Blood one of those 'telling' stories?  I guess it's more rare but when done by a master story teller, gets the job done.

4. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

a beginning -a middle-and an end smile

1. Tinsky profile image91
        Tinskyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd also add to the above a climax!

5. ceciliabeltran profile image65
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

a semblance of truth and honesty. It has to be authentic at some level.

6. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

engaging the reader, new descriptions (not tired old cliches) - this goes for creative non-fiction too (like memoir)

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

What's your own take on what makes a story great?

3. nell79 profile image78
    nell79posted 13 years ago

That's a great point! And I totally agree.

Another thing I might add is that it has to be something that makes you feel: angry, tense, excited, devastated, etc. The story has to pull you in and engage you in a way that makes you care what happens because it feels like it's happening to you, and not just some random character in the story.

4. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

Short is good.  Plus pictures to pad out a bit.  And a happy ending.

No of course not I jest.  It's just the really great stories I have read have kind of stuck in my brain and sometimes I wish they wouldn't.

I'll try again.  A great story is one you don't feel like you're reading - it just happens and you share it.

1. nell79 profile image78
      nell79posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Haha, I think you've got it! lol

Yeah, I love those stories that pull you in and make you lose track of time. The great ones are the ones that have you so embedded within them that when you are disturbed in real life, you're actually jarred and have to consciously remember that the world you were just in was all imaginary.

5. KristenGrace profile image60
    KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

For me it's all about the characters.

They should be realistic with at least one character who I can relate to.

I also appreciate the ending I never saw coming.

6. starme77 profile image76
    starme77posted 13 years ago

One element of a great story is when the writer becomes the reader when they write smile

You mean literally?  (No pun intended)

1. starme77 profile image76
        starme77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well, kinda ... ya know .... how it is.... write your stuff, let it cool , go back, and read it out loud as the reader and objectivly hear how it sounds ... smile smile so , kinda literally I guess

1. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I use text-to-speech software with natural voices for this purpose. Highly recommended!

I'm always reading my stuff out loud so I can hear how the flow is. There's a software out there that does it for you? Yikes! I'm so behind on the times! LOL That's awesome!

1. profile image0

It really works. You can highlight any text, press a shortcut combination, and it will read the text out loud. Or you can ask it to create wave/mp3 files - it can record an entire novel in about 1 hour. The best part is that the voices are synthesized human voices, so natural-sounding that it is virtually impossible to tell it is not a real person speaking.

Wow!  Me, too.  What's the name of this software please?

1. profile image0

The basic software is called TextAloud, available from nextup.com. You then need to pick one or more voices, available from different providers. I use British Daniel as the default voice, my favorite by far, it is from RealSpeak. I also use some voices from AT&T. Samples are available on the site.

Thanks!  No need to answer the email I sent you.

2. starme77 profile image76

freaking software .... whoaaa, didnt know it existed , shit guess I'll get some so I'll quit having to hear myself talk smile maybe it will stop me from trying to answer myself so I dont go nuts smile

2. couturepopcafe profile image60

I think its a great idea if the writer wrote a story in which a writer is reading his own story and the story actually happens the way he's reading it, but not like a narrative, like he's an actual character.

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh, you mean like "Forrest Gump"?

and I was referring to the people above you who were posting their ad about that voice writing from AT&T stuff - in case you didn't see that - wow, I admit, I didn't entirely puke, just really felt like it.

exactly like Forest and thats all I have to say about that smile smile smile

7. Jaggedfrost profile image61
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

A good story, IMO is where defined people change from start to finish.

1. KristenGrace profile image60
      KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely.

8. Sarah Masson profile image60
    Sarah Massonposted 13 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. For me, it's mainly about the characters being believable and interesting. I also enjoy being surprised by the ending but really being involved with the story is the winner.

1. SingleCityGirl profile image59
      SingleCityGirlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you write only fiction?  Or do you also write autobiographical stories? Just curious.  I'm new to hubbing and have only produced one autobiographical story..

9. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

JK Rowling does a great job of making the reader feel that they are actually a part of the story.  That is why so many have read her books.  When you are drawn in and are mentally living the story, you can't put it down because you want to see what happens next. 
    Harlan Ellison was very good at this as well.  However his writing would at times hit you like a 2x4 up side the head.

10. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

newspapers - they make a great story now and then.  And when you're done with them, they're great for starting fires, mulching the flower/veggie garden/allotment and wiping up the vomit you _______s with your AT&T ad just made me puke up all over the floor!

smile

p.s.  do you get PAID for doing that?  and can I join the "paid club"?  Or would you rather to remain clueless, innocent and irritating?

That was a good story.  Thanks for sharing.

2. starme77 profile image76

hey I do that
      smile smile ya stole me idea lol smile

3. profile image0

I have no financial interest whatsoever in those companies and am not affiliated with them. I am a licensed and registered user who has paid full price for the software. Your allegations are absurd. I genuinely think this is a useful program, and am entitled to share my experiences. As for company names, I was being asked a direct question by Couturepopcafe and gave a direct reply.

You are being exceptionally rude. Knowing your forum posting style, I will not respond to any further posts from you.

I had no idea of what she was talking about until I read your post here. I think that software is a great idea and I thank you for sharing it.

As someone else mentioned above, I too, get tired of hearing myself talk!

11. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

What makes a great story? The greatest of liars of course, in a manner of speaking. Clemens was the best.

yeah, ya know ,  you put things into perspective Ralwus - yer asbolutly correct  smile smile yes... I meant as bo lutly - smile  no mis spellings there smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)