Abrahamic God...Universal or Regional?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (57 posts)
  1. Rishy Rich profile image73
    Rishy Richposted 14 years ago

The Abrahamic religions are mainly world's three primary monotheistic faiths of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. The origins of Abrahamic religion are found in Judaism, which began in 1,400 BCE. Some 1,500 years later Christianity was formed by the followers of Jesus. Islam was founded by Muhammad in the 7th century CE upon the teachings in the Quran which also refers to past figures like Abraham. They are considered inextricably linked to one another because of a 'family likeness' and a certain commonality in theology. From a rational point of view, I always concluded that being in the same region, these three religions actually evolved from one another, a precise Religious Evolution!

All these three religions share the concept of a Universal Creator God. However, If their God is universal, then why his message was limited in a specific region? Why the messengers were chosen from the same region again & again? And why peoples from other part(such as America) were neglected by God? Doesnt all these questions lead to one conclusion...Its no Universal God, just Evolution? hmm

1. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Evolution with no intelligence is not possible as evolution is also beyond the scope of the human till date.

Its the way god works, beyond the human intellect, god works in mysterious ways.

Its a supreme intelligence coordinating this cosmos with absolute perfection at all time or rather beyond time.This planet and all of us are puppets, peanuts for him to create , operate and destroy.
      Brahma, Lord of creation
      Vishnu- Lord of preservation
      Shiva- Lord of death

Then man is god at the same time.

America is a very spiritual country , there are mostly believers of god.

2. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely not, those sacred texts are only those known to the common world.  There are sacred records out there that detail even Christ's ministry here in the Americas.  There are records of a people who resided here in the Americas after separating from the Tower of Babel.  There are records of a Twelve Apostles here in America following the Crucifixion. 

Yes, there are many more records out there yet undiscovered.  In time, when the world is ready, they shall be made available and shall complement the other records - thus becoming another witness.

3. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One God, different interpretations.

2. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

OK  I'll use my imagination and try to think of something.
      How about?...  Life was created then evolved. Man was created !? Civilization grew and soon became more trouble than they were worth.
         FLOOD! FLOOD!
      He started all over. God; for no particular reason choose the Hebrew Nation to pick out of the crowd so that he could show his stuff to the rest of the world through them.
      Mankind took his word and made a religion out of it, made up all kinds of rules to play by. Mankind was doin it again!

God said to his children, "Maybe i should start over again."

One of his kids stepped up and said, "Daddy, I've got an idea."

Remember the story Jesus told about the busbandman that said "No lets not cut this tree down yet. Let me prune it, and take care of it for a year and if it doesn't produce fruit then we'll cut it down"   Kinda like that.

The son said I have an idea, let me go down there and show them a few things and see if I can alter their attitudes".

They killed him thinking that they were getting away with something.
         But they didn't get away with anything cause this was his plan in the first place.
         God chose another group of people to take under wing sorta speak.  They also made a religion out of it. Sh--t.
       Now they are fighting against each other,
       Who knownswhat the rest of the plan is. ot me.

Maybe that year is almost over that he was talking about. before they cut the tree down, if it doesn't produce good fruit.
       OK.   that is my SI FI for the day ??

Rishy Richposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Other than hundreds of flaws & incredible loopholes...I think ur idea was great roll

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What loopholes and what flaws?

hmm...loopholes in ur thinking & flaws...in ur observation neutral

2. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There will always be flaws and loopholes in any mans perseption or definition of who and what he/it is.

I Agree... but being a man in this 21st century, I refuse to accept the massive amount flaws & loopholes that your 2000 year old logic provides!

1. Jerami profile image59

No offence but you do not understand what my logic dictates.
            My logic is not 2000 years old. My logics may have it's roots embedded in a 2000 year old belief. That 2000 year old belief has gone through several dramatic changes. Christianity as it is known today is only about 1680 years old. And upon its beginning it has been in a constant change going in the direction that it has gone.
               I think that everyone that calls them selves a Christian should drop every belief that they have been taught, and start all over, building a NEW faith.
               Do not stubornly hold onto one that has been continuely rewritten and interpreted.
               Build your own beliefs and not be satisfied with (as poor people would know as...) hand-me-downs.

2. mohitmisra profile image59

These are eternal truths , god is timeless .

3. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 14 years ago

Hi friends

Abrahami religions present the same Creator- God Allah YHWH, which is Universal but has different name due to languages.

Since man has evolved as per the design of the Creator; we cannto say that with the time his concept have not been widened; nevertheless the Message from the Creator- God Allah YHWH has been the same all over the world to believe in ONE-God and to obey His commandments as communicated through the Messengers Prophets selected by Him.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why is then that Jesus teaches to turn the other cheek while Islam teaches to lie and kill?

They both teach peace an oneness.

Yes, and black is white, up is down, and so on... smile

4. luvpassion profile image63
    luvpassionposted 14 years ago

In ancient times world media didn't exist. Teachings and traditions were handed down via ancient writings and word of mouth.

Since many cultures have ancient legends as old as the religions you mention, is it hard to understand that these religions were more popular hence spread more quickly?

R u with 'Evolution'?

1. luvpassion profile image63
        luvpassionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Personally, No; however I am a seeker of truth and do not discount ideas based on religious bias

Gr8...& what is ur method for seeking truth?

2. Pandoras Box profile image61
      Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Judaism spread and evolved so effectively because it was picked up by the greeks and romans. Greece as a center of commerce and Rome as congueror of the world.

The influence of greek story telling is pretty obvious in the NT stories, and makes it very plausible that jesus never existed.

& Islam spread because of its massive military campaigns. Muslim conquests of non-Arab peoples began after the death of the Islamic prophet Muhammad & continued till the end of 8th century. During this time they fought several major battles with major powers i.e. byzantine, persia etc. which changed the shape of muslim empire.

Even Muhammad fought several battles in his lifetime & can be considered as the only warrior prophet we are aware of.

If u look at muslim world population map today, u will learn that the most populated muslim regions are those which were once conquered or ruled by muslim empires.

1. Pandoras Box profile image61

Christianity spread the same way to a good extent, even after they started calling their soldiers 'missionaries'.

Exactly...& finally we see that its not the love of religion but the military & political influence which ensured the spread of these religions

Religions are build on the directions of the enlightened ones or knower's of god.
              Its not what they teach.

Where Muhammad is concerned he had to fight to save his life .
              Krishna and Rama are considered as prophets both kings, warriors who fought battles and killed god knows how many

2. profile image51
          paarsurreyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend Rishy Rich

Islam spread by peaceful means due to the superiority of its teachings and the rational reasons. Battles only hinder the spread of a religion. Islam/Quran need no wars and battles for its spread.

It is a wrong concept needs to be corrected.

Thanks

Lets look at some factual information & then decide roll

Heres goes the Islamic Conquest List:

1.1 Byzantine–Arab Wars: 634–750
            1.2 Conquest of Persia and Iraq: 633–651
            1.3 Conquest of Transoxiana: 662–709
            1.4 Conquest of Sindh: 664–712
            1.5 Conquest of Hispania: 711–718 and Septimania 719–720
            1.6 Conquest of the Caucasus: 711–750
            1.7 End of the Umayyad conquests: 718–750
            1.8 Conquest of Nubia: 700–1606
            1.9 Incursions into southern Italy: 831–902
            1.10 Conquest of Anatolia: 1060–1360
            1.11 Byzantine-Ottoman Wars: 1299–1453
            1.12 Further conquests: 1200–1800

More Details:

Byzantine–Arab Wars: 634–750

Wars were between the Byzantine Empire and at first the Rashidun and then the Umayyad caliphates and resulted in the conquest of the Greater Syria, Egypt, North Africa and Armenia (Byzantine Armenia and Sassanid Armenia).

Under the Rashidun
            The conquest of Syria, 637
            The conquest of Armenia, 639
            The conquest of Egypt, 639
            The conquest of North Africa, 652
            The conquest of Cyprus, 654

Under the Umayyads
            The conquest of North Africa, 665
            The first Arab siege of Constantinople, 674–678
            The second Arab siege of Constantinople, 717–718
            The conquest of Georgia, 736

Later conquests
            The conquest of Crete, 820
            The conquest of southern Italy, 827

http://www.usu.edu/markdamen/1320Hist&Civ/slides/14islam/mapspreadofislam.jpg

If you look at Muslim World Population Map today, u will find that most Muslim populated regions are those which were once conquered & ruled by the Muslims

You are welcome...

1. profile image51

Hi friend Rishy Rich

You have not mentioned here about "Peaceful spread of Islam in Melanesia/Oceania". I have started a thread on that. Please see it.

Thanks

Exceptions are not examples

3. mohitmisra profile image59

I agree with you Islam has been spread with a lot of bloodshed and so has Christianity.

1. profile image51

Hi friends

I don't agree with our friend mohitmisra that Islam spread with bloodshed. Quran/Islam/Muhammad never advocated spread of Islam with sword. Islam always spread for its good teachings and non-violence. It is the politicians who did it; and it hindered spread of Islam.

It is a wrong notion that Islam spread with sword or bloodshed. Islam never needed it as it has brillinat arguments and teachings in Quran which convince everybody of its truth.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaaceful Muslim

You don't seem to agree with any facts.

You see, you do know and you do admit it was spread by the sword.

It isn't a notion, it is a fact. smile

5. luvpassion profile image63
    luvpassionposted 14 years ago

I use many methods including the bible, other religions, science I review the information available...I pray and make decisions with an open mind, trusting the wisdom and experiences of older and more learned people regardless of their beliefs and I form my own opinions.

Sometimes I believe I stumble on the truth...I don't dismiss it as such but continually anyalize and question

1. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

add to that an outside perspective of both sides and that would be me...

1. luvpassion profile image63
        luvpassionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As it should be for all...even disciple's of Christ. A disciple is a learner. 

John8;31-32  Jesus is speaking to people that believe in him.  Now He is taking them one step further in terms of truth.

You have got to continue in it. It is not good enough to just step across the line with a measure of commitment acknowledging that what we have so far is true. There must be a continuous searching for more truth that pertains to this top priority in life

1. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You mean continue on with the search, I think....

I believe "continue" in that verse in John 8 means to "abide" in the Truth that Jesus already had given them,  not to veer from it and not to continue on searching for any different interpretation of it.

Once we have the Truth, Christians are not only to abide in it, but to spread it to the world.   Otherwise, there's no rest and no commitment when one keeps seeking some elusive "truth"......

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
            Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So - Pro-divorce is now the Truth?

So far you seem to be pro divorce, pro adultery and pro war.

This seems an odd position for god to take. almost - IDK - hypocritical.

But - if you say that is your Truth - well- thanks but I am not interested in your religion.

I am against divorce and adultery.

Shame on you for promoting divorce and adultery. sad

Shame.

1. profile image0

I wondered when you'd show up, Mark.
              And indeed you must be interested or else you wouldn't keep stumblin' on my posts.
              Are you jealous 'cause I've been talkin' more with earnest?  LOL

Jesus Loves you Mark.  Accept it or deny it, your choice. Not the god of Islam, but the God of Abraham!
              Now that's the Truth.

What does that have to do with your pro-divorce agenda exactly?

I see you pushing your Truth of divorce and adultery - as a good person I feel the need to point out that divorce and adultery are wrong.

Morally.

Should I not say so? When I see you pushing your Truth - which includes divorce and adultery. What should I do? Be silent?

1. profile image0

Of course not, Mark.   roll

I tell ya what, why don't you go make a thread about divorce and adultery, including the subject of Christians who've been divorced and forgiven for adultery,  instead of trying to bait me personally in this one?

I may or may not respond.  But you just might get some other people to  help you clear up this moral dilemma that's in your mind.  I am done with responding in THIS thread, though.
                  big_smile

Goodbye then.

I was just responding to your claims to have Truth - which apparently includes a pro divorce and adultery agenda.

I am morally opposed to that.

It is wrong. Morally.

No matter the excuses and lies you produce to push your pro divorce agenda. Wrong. Morally.

But - you are a Christian - so I would not expect you to understand.

Bye wink

2. profile image0
                  SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm304/michael1923/Fishing/gonefishing.jpg

6. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

Pro 23:23  Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding.

7. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

G.O.D = Government On Demand

1. profile image51

Hi friends

God the Creator- Allah YHWH of everything in the heavens and earth.

Thanks

1. marinealways24 profile image58
        marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

So the government says. lol

8. Pandoras Box profile image61
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

Funny thing is that the bible itself tells us not to believe in false prophets, not to trust your heart, to never have any other god but the OT god, etc etc, all kinds of stuff telling anyone who believes in it NOT to believe in christianity.

So if there was a Jesus, who claimed to be a god nor was posited as a god, the jewish people had been commanded already to not believe in him.

And all those 'personal revelations', and people saying they just know it's right, and Jesus is in their hearts and all that stuff, all of them ignore what the bible specifically says about that. At least in certain parts, albeit in other parts it may contradict.

Surely someone will say there are no contradictions, and try and explain how those verses don't mean what they say, but anyone can as easily say the same about the verses they will use to prove otherwise, so good luck with that.

1. Jerami profile image59

Mornin - PB
        I agree with ya and yet ..  I'm not going to say "ALL", but all too often when we read contradictions in prophetic scripture, it is created by false interpretations that we have been taught.
         Upon close scrutney we can understand one or the other verses, or both, to mean something other than what we have been taught.
         Due to these preconcieved ideas as to the meaning of what we are reading, we all to often miss the intended message.
         At least I think so

1. Pandoras Box profile image61

Mornin' to you Jerami, hope you're well.

Yes! I fully agree! You guys have a bad habit of totally over-interpretting the thing! lol

Love ya and you're a sweetie with obvious integrity, but I'm sure it's just the opinionated writings of long dead men and outright fables -with some more or less accurate historical information thrown in for good measure.

But I won't rant at you this morning. smile

9. sagbee profile image58
    sagbeeposted 14 years ago

I believe in universal god.. God is one and it has been taught in every holy book, may it be an Islamic Quraan or Geeta according to hindi mythology.. Or even Jesus Christ.. God is one and universal...

1. profile image51

Hi friend sagbee

You are right; the Creator- God Allah YHWH is one; and it cannot be more than one; as the laws in the Universe are the same everywhere; hinting to ONE CREATOR. If there would have been many; then there would have been no laws/principles and hence no sciences; resulting to a chaos.

Thanks

1. marinealways24 profile image58
        marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

We are in a chaos, we still act like animals. lol

10. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 14 years ago

Abrahamic God...Universal or Regional?

Hi friends

The Creator- God Allah YHWH is ONE and has always been ONE who is Universal. Buddha,Krisha,Zoroaster, Socrates, Abraham. Moses, Jesus ; all believed in ONE GodAllahYHWH, having different names in their languages yet depicting the same ONE person.

Thanks

Yet, the message given to Christians is to turn the other cheek while Muslims message is to kill.

Something seriously wrong here with your prognosis?  smile

1. profile image49
        Muslim guyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The message in islam is not to kill. those who think so know nothing of islam.

In the bible you have
        "Thou shall not kill"

In islam you have
        "Whoever kills, kills the whole community. whoever saves a life, saves the whole community."

If someone has any evidence against please post it. You have none though, because this is from a Quran.

Islamic terrorists are people who say they are muslim, yet, the disobey one of the biggest rules in islam, witch is do not kill.

1. pennyofheaven profile image79
          pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Seems Chrisitianity has had the same problem. It all comes down to peoples choices not the religion they follow in my opinion.

2. Beelzedad profile image58
          Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

2:191 And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers.

2:193 And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah.

2:216 Warfare is ordained for you, though it is hateful unto you; but it may happen that ye hate a thing which is good for you, and it may happen that ye love a thing which is bad for you. Allah knoweth, ye know not.

2:244 Fight in the way of Allah, and know that Allah is Hearer, Knower.

5:33 The only reward of those who make war upon Allah and His messenger and strive after corruption in the land will be that they will be killed or crucified, or have their hands and feet on alternate sides cut off, or will be expelled out of the land. Such will be their degradation in the world, and in the Hereafter theirs will be an awful doom.

So what, there are no Muslims who follow all the rules in the Quran, hence using your logic, there are not Muslims even who say they are Muslims. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)