Ten Commands or ...

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (37 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

...One Command (divided) into many parts?

1. Why was the Command handed down --originally?
    2. Why was it divided?
    3. Why were the tablets written in stone, then broken, then restored, then sealed in the arc?

Your thoughts...

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't understand -One Command (divided) into many parts?

Maybe, divided we fight

I think everything is connected in the Universe.

2. Titen-Sxull profile image72
      Titen-Sxullposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The actual verses in Exodus that lay out the 10 Commandments don't say where one begins and another one ends and this has led to there being a handful of competing versions of the commandments.

More interesting to me is the obsession that some Fundamentalists have toward the commandments despite the fact that they are Old Covenant and only apply to those that God brought out of Egypt.

3. pennyofheaven profile image78
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Man will do what he needs to do to try to guide the masses to a better quality of life. Sadly it is sometimes used to control.

2. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

Have you ever watched Mel brooks history of the world?

And, Moses came down from the mountain. People I give you these 14 (tablet falls to ground and smashes into tiny pieces) these 10! 10 commandments! The religious stuff is hysterical. Like the scenes from the last supper.

3. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Hypothetically then ...

1. Why was the Command handed down --originally? To create order (control?).

2. Why was it divided? - Possibly too much to take in. Some folks lack the wit.

3. Why were the tablets written in stone, then broken, then restored, then sealed in the arc? - Posterity. Pen and ink are not known for their long lasting properties. Broken due to the rows such things cause (as I'm sure you're aware), fixed by those that believed and hidden away in a vault (Ark)

1. SpanStar profile image61
      SpanStarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like your response to these questions frogdropping

2. Daniel Carter profile image63
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Additionally it's interesting to me that Moses came down with a set of commandments, and when he saw the chaos and idolatry, he went back up to the mountain and came down with the 10 we know of today. What's very telling to me is that God being God, who knows all, apparently DIDN'T know that the Hebrews couldn't live up to the first set, so he installed a second set. (If God is God, he would know this before hand, and why would he give commandments he already knew the Hebrews were not capable of living by or refused to live by? Hmmmmm....)

That's a deduction based on the information that the Bible gives, which leads me to believe there's a lot of hokus pokus going on about how accurate and sacred the writings are.

Just sayin'.

Another interesting point is that the New Testament says that Jesus fulfilled the law (10 Commandments and all Jewish law) and reduced it to "love one another", adding (in paraphrase) "on this do all the law and prophets hang."

Religions argue about which it really is, and usually add a few more "commandments" for herd control.

1. hanging out profile image61
        hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think quite differently about this whole thing. If one checks out G4137 in strongs concordance no where do the definitions for fulfil:
        Think 3543 not 3361 that 3754 I am come 2064 to destroy 2647 the law 3551, or 2228 the prophets 4396: I am 2064 0 not 3756 come 2064 to destroy 2647 , but 235 to fulfil 4137; state that the law is thrown away or come to naught. Lately i have found it very interesting that this scripture does not say the law was even diminished or reduced to two laws. The two laws of jesus do encompass the whole law and the 10 commandments (which are not part of the law) I see jesus as being sinless and under the law, hence he was the sacrificial lamb without blemish but even this does not abolish law. Truly we do not sacrifice but were sacrifices part of law? I do not think so.
        Of course God knew the hebrews couldn't live up to the law. This is why he gave his son, etc. But the laws purpose was to expose sin and by revealing it made the person under the law aware of sin and this was the purpose of the law, to make the person aware of sin, the sacrifices atoned for the sin but until jesus, the power over sin to live sinless was not yet available to gods people. Jesus came to give sinners power over sin.

4. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

I find it interesting that people always point to God missing something because of some event in the bible.

How about this-I believe God did know but he let it happen anyway why because he's not like people, he's better then than that.

He sees our sins everyday, generation after generation but he doesn't wipe up off the face of the earth-at least not yet.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but according to the bible, he did wipe us all off the earth some time ago, so clearly, he is not better than the majority of us, and indeed had the same motives as any murdering despot dictator. smile

You don't have to be dictator or a God to enslave, hate, kill, murder, rape, steal, lie, toture, rob and all the rest you just have BE HUMAN and have the Nerve To Think We're Better Than Others.

But, isn't that exactly what Christians claim to be?

If you mean better I believe you need to look at people like yourself who never get tire of acting that way.

That must be an emotional outburst on your part considering I've never once stated to anyone I'm better than them. However, Christians are always telling me they are better than me as they will go to heaven in the afterlife while I roast in hell. That would certainly show their superiority complex, yes? smile

They are the ones telling you so to speak that you're going to hell, they are reading from the bible and if they as Christian didn't accept Jesus salvation then they'd be saying the same thing about themselves.

Maybe some Christians do act superior I don't know but that's the individual not the legacy of God.

Exactly, and you should have noticed by now that I have never read from a book and repeated in there what it would say will happen to Christians. The only thing I have stated was that Christians will most likely have to stand before all the other gods along with their god who are all waiting to judge them.

They most likely wouldn't be acting that way if they didn't have the legacy of their god in hand. smile

sofunny.... the perception of something being above something else is usually arrived at, not by judging, but by assessing. If i look over a cliff edge and see a valley and then i look up and see a mountain top, clearly the mountain top is higher than the valley.
                    Often people when they hear they are going to hell, become defensive and during this momentary lapse of sanity they begin to justify themselves as being better than the person telling them they are going to hell. Some of these people come here and rant about stupid things like disneyland and starving people or they say the christian is judging me or they say the christian is putting himself above me. Never really addressing the situation of their going to hell at all but rather incriminating the one who is warning them that their present course is harmful.
                    Clearly the legacy of God in hand has throughout the ages and today gives, and has given, christians, the complete right to speak the truth through the reality that they know and unless the listener has another lapse of sanity, that listener should know to stay away and not confront christians, so as to hear their reality and thusly, whine about it, point fingers and smear jargon unfounded; oooh i dunno, like all the other gods will waiting to judge them along with their god. Clearly the bible refutes this other god syndrome completely and since that is the case, a pat on the back awaits the christian who tells the sinner he/she is going to hell.
                    So you can bet your booties that christians will always speak the truth of their reality (which is not up to debate about what truth is or their truth is not real.. that's just desperate rubbish argument) and God will be glad these christians, here on hubpages, persevered with ... well, you sinners can fill in that blank.
                    you're welcomed

2. profile image0
        Travis_S_Musicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Beelze, a little example. When you play with an Etch-a-Sketch, and you take your artwork to heart, it's something you really love to do and improve on if you don't like it, what do you do? You erase it. Or say you're drawing, that's probably a more understandable one. You draw and draw and draw for days, maybe even weeks or months, trying to make your picture come out exactly how you want it. But in the end it, after all the erasing and redrawing, and trying to perfect it, it still is not even a smidgen close to what you wanted. So you erase it, throw it away, and start over. In the same sense, God saw his human creations were not good, they were not even a tiny bit close to what he had hoped for. So what did he do? He erased it. Started fresh, in hopes of a better work. Because God gave us free will, we are not completely predictable. Anything can and will happen, according to what we decide. If it's not liked, it's not even a smidgen close to what He hoped for, then he may start over.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And you worship this thing?

Dear me. sad

1. profile image0

Eh, people worship much more strange, flawed, and just disgusting things compared to what you see in my beliefs.

2. hanging out profile image61

and you dont worship it???????????????

dear me. or rather dear you lol

2. Beelzedad profile image58

First of all, each time I engage your claims and ask for clarification or an explanation, you disappear. So, I'm not sure whether it's worth my while to expose the glaring hypocrisy and contradictions in your claims here.

Secondly, you appear to be answering for your god and making the assumption that what you wrote is what he was really thinking, considering there isn't anything in the bible that would support your claims.

Obviously, if your god still can't get it right or even remotely close to "what he had hoped for" then he isn't all-knowing or all-powerful. He is in fact inept and incompetent if after so many tries and so many millennium of trying, he is worse off then when he started.

Most corporations would have fired his butt long ago for such shoddy workmanship and lack of foresight.

But of course, I can understand that these are the kinds of ideals your religion is teaching you, that we are all just mindless "stickmen" drawn on an Etch-a-Sketch waiting to be erased, yet we are supposed to love and worship the failed artist who drew us. It would be quite hilarious if it wasn't so dangerous for the future of mankind. smile

1. profile image0

Beelze, I don't disappear every time. My explanations are always right beneath your reply, you simply have to click the little drop arrow that says "1 reply" or however many replies there may be to your post. And your reference to corporations firing him already, seems rather invalid. If minor flaws are the reason to be firing people, we would have no corporations, no businesses, and no jobs, do to everyone's being flawed in some way or another.

2. hanging out profile image61

The only ones who think Gods ways are flawed are the ones that know they stand on the wrong side of judgment, so rather than me "talk for God". I will just let you know that the christians don't think God is wrong or a bad corporate leader or flawed or unknowing or inept or incompetent or hypocritical, this kind of stance is always taken by the ones who will be going to HELL.
            you're welcomed.

oh and yes you are stick men waiting to be erased, its painfully obvious in the book you choose not to believe in. lol Enjoy your stick because it only lasts for a short time and its not dangerous for the future of mankind because mankind has no future. The future is owned by God too. lol

Thank you for exhibiting what is known best about Christians and their superiority over us all. smile

5. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

I'm confused. Those were just the fist ten. There were over six hundred commandments on the covenant.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can boil all commandments down to, be honest and don't kill or harm.

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I could live with that.

2. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

613 to be more precise.

1. profile image0

Thank you. I can never remember that and I didn't want to count them.

they aren't so bad. How can one criticize something they have never read about. they laws are taken from the first 4 books of the bible and here's a link to them in list form.
          http://www.jewfaq.org/613.htm

they are not outlandish and if we bother to think about how many laws we are currently under in our wonderful modern day societies, we may discover more than 613.
          In any way you look at it God always comes out the winner.
          enjoy.

1. profile image0

I have read them. and many of them are outlandish and easily followed because we would never consider to do a lot of it in the first place. But you are right, God always comes out the winner.

6. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

What language was the commandments written in?  And who was educated enough to read them?  smile

moses came out of egypt. After babel the world was confounded with many languages but Gods people always had their own. This may be likened to the many different dialects of the united states and how it varies from state to state. I would assume God wrote the tablets in a language that moses understood, because this is the way it worked back then, moses was the speaker and the torah was read aloud until after the wilderness experience.
      Of course when the 10 were memorized no one needed to read them..

a little longer thought on your part may have prevented me from writing this. lol

7. CMCastro profile image70
    CMCastroposted 13 years ago

Ten Commandments, in Moses' time was the Law and Order given by the Chief Commander, who is God. Those who live only by the Law of Moses' Time are only bound to one part of God's Plan. In the time of the Moses, there was no Law and Order, and there was no Jesus yet. Now that Jesus has come to the earth, died, Resurrected, sent His Spirit to help us, we have become Free, but In order to become Freed by the Bondage of Law and Order, we must make a Relationship with Jesus Christ.
    Still, teach your children the Ten Commandments, and when they get old enough to understand, then teach them about Jesus and what He can do for us if only we Believe.

8. TLMinut profile image59
    TLMinutposted 13 years ago

The New Covenant is just a new agreement concerning the same things though. The difference is supposed to be that the laws are written on our hearts - meaning (as I understand it) that these lawful things will be done naturally from the spirit now inside a person.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)