Somehow hubs now look sub-standard.

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (44 posts)
  1. imatellmuva profile image77
    imatellmuvaposted 13 years ago

I went to one of my articles today to respond to a comment, and noticed that sentences have shifted. Words have been cut-off, not  broken into syllables, even the letters in non-syllable words have been seperated. It makes my article look extremely substandard, as if I may have typed, and then published the article in this manner.

I looked at the rest of my articles, and they have changed too. This is very upsetting. Has anyone else had this experience? I am unsure what to do.

1. iQwest profile image49
      iQwestposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I noticed this as well this evening while updating / editing older hubs.  Once the updates were published "live", I didn't notice the same word wrapping issues that were quite apparent while editing.

2. CarolineVABC profile image68
      CarolineVABCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This sounds like there's a "glitch" in the HubPages system.  Although I have yet to experience this since I have not written a new article in a while.  I am working on my new article, and it's good to know this ahead of time, so I won't think it's something that I've done.  This definitely needs to be looked at.  Hope that they get to it pretty quickly because it can be frustrating for writers if this lingers on.  Thank you very much for bringing this up.  Hope this gets resolved soon:-).

3. Mike's Corner profile image70
      Mike's Cornerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was having the same problem last night (not just in edit mode, also after I published my new post) -- I just checked this morning and it seems to have resolved itself -- have everyone else's hubs gone back to normal too?

I'm going to check all of mine again later tonight and hopefully they will still be okay.

1. Mike's Corner profile image70
        Mike's Cornerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah, I spoke too soon -- mine do look okay if I am not logged in, but when I look at them in edit mode they are still wacky,

4. profile image0
      ssaulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yep i had same problem after publishing everything just shift around, i had to edit it and it was all good. Happen to me one too many times.

2. KCC Big Country profile image86
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I have experienced that tonight as well on a new hub I started and finished tonight.  I haven't seen it yet on old hubs.  It was cutting words and wrapping the text in weird ways.

1. Michael Willis profile image66
      Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Glad it wasn't just me. lol I had the same issues as you had when I was working on a hub tonight. My screen even froze up once and had to close down browser and come back to re-do everything I had just done.

3. KCC Big Country profile image86
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I just sent an email to the HP staff to look into this and referenced this forum thread as well.  Something's up with that.  I've been here over 2 years and have never seen that happen.

4. jantamaya profile image61
    jantamayaposted 13 years ago

I've seen it too and was thinking it was only in edit mode... Apparently it is all over here. Help.

5. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 13 years ago

lol I thought it was only me. When on edit mode, the words were breaking in strange ways but as soon as I published, my hub came out ok.  I better check my older hubs too.

6. viking305 profile image93
    viking305posted 13 years ago

Yes I got a shock when I went into one of my hubs and saw this.  I hope that HubPages fixes this very soon.  It looks so unprofessional. 

I see from this forum that the problem has been reported.  The sooner it is put right the better

7. profile image56
    TajSinghposted 13 years ago

Same thing happened as I was editing some of my hubs. It seems like a glitch in the site. I hope this will be fixed soon. Gonna check my other hubs.

8. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

Yes, my hubs are all messed up like this too!

9. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 13 years ago

Same, and not just in EDIT mode either.

10. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I wish this were in Extreme Hub Makeover so someone could post an example!

11. Karanda profile image79
    Karandaposted 13 years ago

Have a look at the Hub I wrote on beds. It is here as well and thought I had made an absolute mess of things till I discovered the same thing on other Hubs.

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where specifically are you seeing a problem?

I'm looking at it with Chrome and don't notice anything immediately.

Could this be yet another case where Microsoft has fubared their browser?

Ooops.  never mind. I see it now. I was too hasty.

2. Karanda profile image79
        Karandaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Fubared? Is that a word? What does it mean?

FUBAR: Fouled up beyond all recognition. Substitute ingredients if you like smile

12. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Well, the text itself is OK (do a "View Source"), so it looks like HP has made some change to the "txtd" CSS class.

Whatever silly thing they did, they should be able to fix it quickly.

It is odd, though - I looked at my most recent hub and do not observe this. I'll have to scan the whole thing; perhaps it only happens under specific odd circumstances.

1. Karanda profile image79
      Karandaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have noticed it on several Hubs that have been published recently, but others are fine. It seems completely random.

1. CarolineVABC profile image68

I think you're right, Karanda! It could be something "completely random" because I've checked my hubs, and they were fine! Although it would still be nice if this gets resolved soon for the sake of other hubbers that have been affected by this as well as writing future articles:-).

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
          Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you saw my reply at just before yours, it has been resolved! wink  Or should be.  If you see any further Hubs having this line-break issue, please email us.

1. CarolineVABC profile image68

Thank you, Maddie!!! I apologize for not catching your reply earlier.  Glad to hear that it has been resolved-thanks for the info!!!:-)

13. Karanda profile image79
    Karandaposted 13 years ago

Looking good now, have they fixed it?

Seems so.

14. Bard of Ely profile image80

Mine are still messed up and I am holding back on publishing a new hub until it is fixed!

15. Twilight Lawns profile image73
    Twilight Lawnsposted 13 years ago

And I thought it was just me.
    Let's hope they fix it soon.  It just looks so unprofessional.

16. Bard of Ely profile image80

Unfortunately for me one of my hubs is being shown to some staff at a school today and I might be getting work out of this, however, if they see a messed up hub they may not have a very good impression of my ability! Such a shame this has happened now!

Arrgh.   That's bad timing indeed.

There might be a way to fix it though.  See if Opera (which is strict HTMl compliance) shows it broken.

If it still does, you might try downloading the hub to your machine and replacing the CSS reference to a local copy where you can change the "txtd" class wrap attribute.

I just tried your page in Opera.  As I expected, it shows correctly.

Well - almost. It ignores the videos. If the hub you are showing is not one with video, you can do that.

2. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh man!! I peeked at a few of your hubs and they look fine on my computer, so maybe hopefully when the meeting happens whatever computer your using will ignore this glitch? Good luck!!

17. Bard of Ely profile image80

The hub I am concerned about has videos showing a potential walk through countryside in Teno Alto here that I was hoping to get a job as a guide for a nature walk on. I have done this before and although it's not regular work the payment I get helps me pay my bills here!

That's tragic.   There may be something that will work, though.  I tried Safari - still broken.

Your best bet might be downloading as I suggested.  I just tried this (File, Save, Web Page Complete) and did a quick removal of hp18337.css from the files directory.  That's probably overkill, but it fixed it.  Probably all I needed was to edit "break-word" out of that file.

18. Bard of Ely profile image80

Thanks DoorMattnomore and Pcunix for your comments and having a look!

19. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

Looks like a change was done in the CSS.
    Noticing changes in the sub-menus, buttons, etc.

20. Bard of Ely profile image80

I am afraid my knowledge of software and websites isn't that advanced and I don't even know what css is! A teacher friend was going to be showing my hub to her colleagues today and by now may have already done so! This is just my luck! sad
    Thanks for trying to help though!

Do a File->Save As.

That should create two things - a copy of your page and a directory with all the associated files.

hp18337.css

is the culprit.

To view your saved page, use File->Open.

Not much help if someone else is doing it, but the exercise could still trach you something useful.

21. imatellmuva profile image77
    imatellmuvaposted 13 years ago

Wow! What an overwhelming response! I can't say that I feel better, knowing that this has happened to others. At least I know the issue wasn't isolated to my hubs, and obviously is a bigger problem.

When I first noticed this glitch, it was while hubs were in AND out of edit mode. I looked at my hubs today and all appear fine.

I see from this thread that the issue has been reported. Perhaps the HubPages team corrected the problem after being notified, or it was one that self-corrected. Nevertheless, thank you to all for your responses, your support concern and interest.

22. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

Hi guys!  This should be fixed now, thanks for bringing it to our attention.  If you see any more incidences of this, please email team(at)hubpages(dot)com right away!

1. Peggy W profile image95
      Peggy Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is good.  I have not noticed it in any of my hubs that have gotten recent comments (older hubs) but when I read someone else's hub that had made a comment on mine...I wondered what was going on.  I could not believe the disarrayed lettering!  Will go back to see if that person's hub is now up to par.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)