Google adsense is very ironic (my opinion)

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. David 470 profile image82
    David 470posted 13 years ago

There has to be some explanation for the way my(and others) PPC, CTR, and other statistics are so variable. (totally different all the time)

For some reason, I noticed "many times" when my traffic is high and ctr is better, the PPC is bad.

However, inversely, when my traffic is lower and ctr is horrible, my clicks are worth a lot!

I have come to the conclusion that I may have had a lot of invalid clicks or something before, or perhaps when you get more clicks advertisers start to pay less or something?

I call this IRONY.

2. kephrira profile image60
    kephriraposted 13 years ago

At one time there may be a very interesting advert that gets lots of clicks, and hence is the best ad to show (for your earnings as well as google's) even though they have bid a low amount per click.

At other times there may be an ad which doesn't look so exciting, gets less clicks, but pays a lot per click. So if you want to earn the most possible money then that is the best one to show at that time.

Advertisers and offers vary over time, so different ones get shown.

That may be why.

3. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Kephrira, since we don't get control over which exact adverts that are shown, this is what makes Google so unpredictable.
    PS, Dave has your earnings gone up at all yet? my have been average nearly all through January, I only had 2 days where theyve gone up to highish again.

David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, my earnings are coming close to what I made in December, but most of this month has been bad compared to last month.

However, the last couple days have been really high in pay per click, EVEN with lower traffic and ctr etc..

It seems like my clicks are worth a lot near the end of the month. I remember on halloween, I had a record day.

At the rate I am going, I might actually beat my previous December record, but its very hard to say. If I have a couple of horrendous days like last week, I won't .

2. kephrira profile image60
      kephriraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know that is why it varies Richie, that was what I was saying. What did you think I was saying? I wasn't suggesting you could choose yourself, I was saying that it was google choosing the best ad at any given time that causes these variations.

1. Richieb799 profile image74
        Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah ok sorry, I was confused, it seemed opened ended, I thought you were implying there was a way of choosing them but the only control we have is urls in Ad filter isn't it.

4. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

So where is the irony?

When it looks like income will be good, it is bad. (high ctr, low ppc etc)

When it looks like income will be bad, it will be good. (low ctr, high ppc)

Just my opinion, perhaps its just random, but I have seen trends for me...

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok. I don't mean to be pedantic, but that's not irony.

Doesn't matter.  I see your point.

1. arthriticknee profile image66
          arthritickneeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What is more ironic than the misuse of 'irony'

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
            Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile

1. vaguesan profile image70
              vaguesanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/irony

perhaps this qualifies as situational irony?

5. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I've seen the trends as well David, I'm just standing firm hoping that we will see some changes in February, its very ironic!

Yeah, I still see potential for me. I tend to look at the potential of things a lot. If I actually had a decent CTR consistently, I would be bringing in maybe 75% more income lol.

All I know is that September-December are probably the best months because of how advertisers are bidding. Depends what type of hubs you have though, along with other factors.

2. Suzanne Day profile image94
      Suzanne Dayposted 13 years ago

If you have a look at your total traffic for all time on your hubs, then have a look in Adsense at the Reports/Overview/All Time Report Page Impressions, you can see that not all traffic is reported immediately in Adsense. There's a few day's lag at all times. This means that even though you earned it today, it's not showing until 4 days away. That and the fact that topics fluctuate wildly and not necessarily seasonally too. I have one really good perfoming hub which performs for a few weeks then vanishes for weeks. Got no idea why. But it's a complex algorithm - the internet!

So you mean I can get a bunch of clicks that may not seem like there worth much, but they actually don't count right away?

Because sometimes I get like 10 clicks that = less than 1$, but then another day I get like 10 times more revenue. Maybe that is revenue adding up from other day, or maybe not.....?

1. Suzanne Day profile image94
          Suzanne Dayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm only guessing, and haven't seen any forum posts on it, but if the numbers don't add up, I suggest that there is a lag between what is actually earned and what Adsense displays. For example, my Adsense account report "for all time" shows 500 less visitors than my Hubpages account.....

3. Flightkeeper profile image67
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Although my Adsense is not as good as December, this month's  total not only outperforms the month of January last year but the monthly totals from February through September of last year. It might even beat October by the time this month ends.  It's really a big difference from that first year.  And all I can say to newish hubbers, if you were happy with your first year, your second year is going to be a blast.

4. Kidgas profile image63
      Kidgasposted 13 years ago

Irony or not, the same thing happens to me and it stinks.  This has been a record traffic month but bad month for earnings.

5. sabrebIade profile image80
      sabrebIadeposted 13 years ago

Higher traffic lower earnings with Adsense doesn't seem to be an isolated problem.
      The forum over at Webmaster World has been going on about it all month.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)