Christian Raid on the Super Bowl - Proselytizing on steroids

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

If you haven't heard, in short, a Baptist-led onslaught on the Super Bowl is being organized to push the "I am second" Christian marketing campaign. They are trying to stuff 1 million little cards with this "I am second" website into everyone's pockets in hopes that they can convert some people to their religion.

Here are a few links if you want to catch up:

http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?id=34452

http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/01/21 … -bowl.html

http://www.iamsecond.com/

Normally, I wouldn't bring stuff like this up because I don't pay attention to all the super natural stuff unless its in my face. Last night, a "news" story (or a "commercial") for this was on the nightly news, so, now I am aware of it.

My responses are as follows...

As a professional marketer:
    1. It's a bad idea. People are not at an event like the Super Bowl looking for spiritual advice. So, the close-ratio (conversion rate) on this will be super low, to non-existent.

2. If they hope that a few people will look at the little card later and think, "Hey, I should check it out," well, again, the percentage of close (conversion or even just a website visit) will monstrously low. A) because nobody wants that crap when they are in a good mood -- EVERYONE hates a salesman, and a churchy one is even worse, B) people aren't going to save the little cards; the parking lot will be literally littered with a snowfall of those things, C) they are small and will get lost if they don't get thrown away, and D) they completely miss the emotional "place" of the game--both before and after.

3. The return on investment is going to be so grotesquely negative it's hard to wrap my head around the idea that anyone thought this was a good idea--People wanting to give these cards out have to get to Dallas to volunteer to push the things at people coming in. For their time, traveling expenses (which will be large), and effort, they are going to get laughed at, mocked and ridiculed by emotionally amped up sports fans hungering for "blood" in the arena of FOOTBALL. People leaving will be even less inclined to care and the fans of the losing side will be even more rude, and the winning fans will be too excited (or drunk) to bother. Thus, the people who are doing this are going to be abused and miserable for the time and expense.

These people could not have picked a lamer marketing strategy.

My response as a person:
    1. I really hate to see such a push to get people believing in external, super natural/magical answers to their problems. Problems are solved by effort and discipline.

2. There's enough anger and vitriol coming out of the major world religions right now, do we really have to add more people to the warring ranks?

3. The attention that all these different religions are getting in the media these days is frightening. I feel like we are sliding backwards in time. When this showed up on the news, it occurred to me that there are factions both in the middle east and in the West trying to undo the enlightenment. Those factions are certainly getting a lot of press, which can only help with recruitment. It's mind blowing. And terrifying. I don't want to drive a donkey cart, dammit.

1. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wonder what their actual cost were...wonder how many better uses that money could have been put towards......

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Um...there are actually Christians who like football, and football fans who are....gulp....Christians, in case you didn't know.   The Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy even (God forbid! roll) said a PRAYER praising God after they won a few years ago.  I dunno what the new coach is like.  But I do know that some of the Colts believe in Christ.   And I think it's safe to bet that their team is not the only team that contains Christians or at least players who don't mind seeing cards as you've described.   As far as the audience being subjected to those little cards......um...doesn't sound like anything harmful to me.  People who can watch big tough guys get beat up on the football field can surely face seein' a card containing some GOOD news..
      As far as other religions, if they were to push propoganda for their religion, then I can see it being a nuisance but not illegal I guess.  Wonder if you'd be as vocal about this if little paper Buddhas were being handed out....
      ...reckin you'd call that their "rights" then instead of terming it a "raid" as your title accuses the Baptists of.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good news? roll

lol lol lol lol lol

1. profile image0

Well, let me clarify.....

I don't follow links from this site anymore.

So I'm assuming the cards were about the good news of Jesus.

Someone feel free to correct me if the cards were saying anything else than that...

There was no need for you to clarify. roll But, I'm not surprised you did. I guess it was a foregone conclusion you would. lol

1. profile image0

I just looked this up briefly online.
              Yep, looks like it's simply a plan to spread the YES, GOOD NEWS to people.

roll The last thing we need in America is more ignorant people not living in reality. lol lol

1. profile image0

I agree.  Go figure.  Apparently, some people are so intent on calling others ignorant that they can't evaluate their own state of mind and heart.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image61
                    Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Brenda, Agreed

2. Woman Of Courage profile image61

Brenda, Yes, the Good News which mean the Gospel. ( The News Of The Kingdom of God.)

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59
        Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Incorrect.  All Colts players and fans worship our dark lord Satan.  We fired Dungy for his blasphemy.

1. profile image0

Yeah, sure. hmm

3. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"As far as other religions, if they were to push propoganda for their religion, then I can see it being a nuisance but not illegal I guess"

I assume from your statement that buddhists of muslims doing the same thing  by educating people to Truth and God it would be a nuisance but if christians do it then it's not a nuisance.

Does it never occur to you that the christians with their brand of nonsense are just as big a nuisance as the others and, in this country, far more prevalent?

Or did I misunderstand your post?

4. Stump Parrish profile image59
        Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK Brenda, how would these christians feel if I got a group together to pass out cards promoting satanism to them and their kids? Is it still an apropriate venue for passing out religious info now? How about cards promoting the beliefs of the Marijuana Ministries who preach that marijuana is sacred and healthy, would this be ok?

Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe Woman of Courage will tell you that would be perfectly fine. If they were not interested in the pot faith or the goat sacrificing joy of Satanism, they could just say, "No Thank You." 

We'll just encourage all the religions to line up, and we can have a never ending onslaught of "I have the answer" pushed at us, which will be fine because we can, "Just say no."

Wait, where have I heard that before?

Yes, you are right, that is what everyone is forced to do in a civil society. My point is that these people don't care that they are forcing themselves on others. It's the righteous conceit that gets me. Because it's their favorite thing, they feel it's fine to push it. But they'd probably be outraged if there were a bunch of bikini-clad hotties out in mass handing out invitations to a bikini car wash or something, or, like was mentioned above, Satan worshippers, or maybe abortion doctors inviting people to their clinic.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Shades, I guess it's a good thing I don't watch TV anymore, especially the ignorant news. lol

I watch the news to fall asleep at night (go figure). What's really funny is, I searched all over the station's website for the story to link for this post and they have literally every other story they covered last night on the page, and no links or mentions of that thing at all.  I had to really dig to find any mention of it via Google too.

It's a FOX affiliate local news. Made me wonder if they were trying to slip in a God commercial without leaving any evidence.

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4531927_f520.jpg
    Sorry religionists. I just couldn’t pass this one up. smile

lol lol lol

4. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

I think the point is that any canvassing of any kind of propaganda would be annoying at such an event. If you've ever been to the Strip in Vegas, there are people lined up on the Boulevard, with little leaflets that range from great deals at local restaurants to prostitution. The latter is far more common. What's even more scarey is that at times I've seen minors trying to give these out. If they are caught, they are jailed and so is their pimp, if they can be found.

People who are on the strip at night are not seeking God. They are seeking diversion from their normal lives and some happy moments. The point of the Super Bowl is to divert our attention to something other than the regular mundaneness of our lives, and it would seem to me that for the most part, it's a waste of effort to proselytize. I don't think it has anything to do with which coach is Christian and which is not, nor which players. That's beside the point. The game is not about finding God or yourself. It's a diversion. For the coaches, players and all the rest, making ti to the Super Bowl is their job. Their individual personal beliefs are not associated with the game or the Super Bowl.

I rather agree that it's a misguided, misplaced effort to canvass such an event for religious purposes. I do think the Baptists are setting themselves up for some kind of martyr thing that they can complain about and spew vitriol over for some time to come.

They certainly have the right to do it, but I think most people will find it annoying, since most people don't take the leaflets, and they mostly throw away anything left on their windshields except for perhaps a parking ticket. Hence the ample evidence that it's basically a waste.

1. profile image0

I find it difficult to believe that those of you who oppose this are simply trying to keep the Baptists from being disappointed.....lol

I'll say this-----if Jesus were to come back during the Super Bowl, I think He would be very disappointed at how many people will shout like crazy for a certain football player or team, but are ashamed to even mention His name in a respectful way.

1. Daniel Carter profile image63
        Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not opposed as far as preventing them from doing it. I just think it's wasted effort, on the whole. I think it's poor vision and insight, and poor guidance.

If Jesus appeared anywhere for any reason, and we could all witness it, it would change everything for every body permanently. And I'll bet you that most people at the Super Bowl would claim they have mentioned his name all their lives, but at the Super Bowl are looking for a diversion, not Jesus.

Therein, I believe, lies the rub.

1. profile image0

If they're willing to "waste" their time doing it, then that's up to them, right?

Well...the problem with everyone witnessing Jesus's appearance at the same time is that, when that does happen, it will be too late for everyone to "change"........Faith is required now, today, while we still live.    And so, I assume, those Baptists are simply doing their part to fulfill the Commission with which they're entrusted.

5. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure I fully understand the problem. A bunch of people want to use their time, their money and energy offering on what probably is a lame idea of attempting to hand you a tiny card that can easily be thrown away. This is not something I find particularly offensive or threatening. This happens to me in the parking lots of retail establishments all the time. I just say no thank you and forget about it. Call me crazy.

6. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Daniel Carter pretty much made the points I would have made in response to things being added, so I won't belabor them but to sum up: it's not about whether there's Christians playing. My observation was mainly on how stupid this is as a  marketing effort, which is made annoying because it is just plain irritating to think of a whole shipload of Christian Borgs descending on people at the Super Bowl with fists full of "resistance is futile" cards passively demanding assimilation lest those hapless sports fans burn for eternity. And none of that would have mattered to me but the news channel, a Fox affiliate, tried to package this garbage up as news when it is really so un-newsworthy as to be almost impossible to find with even the most determined Google search. I hate it when my news is corrupted by big companies buying time and composing faux news stories. I hate it when slimy politicians do it. And I hate it when for profit religion does it. Those are the main points I was making.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely Classic! smile

2. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I saw your points as good ones. It seems like an idea that will get little return for the effort, and the media does have a knack for hitting our hot buttons, in an attempt, I assume, to raise ratings. I do apologize. I didn't catch that the cards were threatening eternal damnation. I would have to say hell no to a card like that. Don't get me wrong. I agree with you completely; corporations, politicians and organized religion are slimy, but as offensive as it is, on so many levels, it really does boil down to a bunch of people wasting their time, we hope.

Well, I was speaking to the implication rather than the actual text on the cards. I think the cards just try to get them to the website where the recruitment actually will begin (which is not to say that the recruiters themselves will not be pointing out the potential for eternal damnation, as I'm sure some will as emotions wear thin: they usually start out all nice, "Jesus loves you," but after the 4,000 person tells them to piss off, the message may get to the heart of it, and go straight for the real cost of not assimilating." So, that particular detail shouldn't be read too literally.

1. profile image0
          just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not assimilating. That's a funny way to put it. I understand where you're coming from, but being related to Jehovah Witnesses I've learned a million ways to smile when I'm politely informed where I'm headed. I guess I've just learned to roll with it and not let it get under my skin. I don't always remember that others aren't accustomed to it.

7. Woman Of Courage profile image61
    Woman Of Courageposted 13 years ago

There are people who are interested. No one can stop someone from recieving the gospel and recieving Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior. It's their own choice to believe.

Yes, they just don't get a choice as to whether or not someone is going to come stuff a piece of religious propaganda in their face while they are trying to enjoy the diversionary experience of the Super Bowl, a rare outing for most.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image61

Like I stated above, there are people who were interested. If anyone were offended, a simple "no thank you" would be the solution to not recieve the card.

1. Beelzedad profile image57
          Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah yes, very similar to the cable companies who lifted their scramblers and allowed their customers some free movies and such, but they kept it on and then started billing their customers, who never wanted the services in the first place. They were really pissed at the cable companies.

Same thing. smile

2. Beelzedad profile image57
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think most people want to stop the delivery of the gospels from those who are compelled to share them. Of course, it is your own choice to disrespect them and continue doing so. smile

8. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

Amen, Woman.

9. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I checked out the "I Am Second" website. It is very well done.
    Found it interesting that it is a ".com" not a ".org."
    Actually, why am I not surprised by that!???

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)