Should you give children multivitamins?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (18 posts)
  1. hinazille profile image82
    hinazilleposted 13 years ago

...or is it best to increase their fruit and veg intake?

please include reasons for your point smile

2. leahlefler profile image95
    leahleflerposted 13 years ago

Our kids eat plenty of fruit and veg, but our Nolan is on a multivitamin. He can't eat any citrus or other acidic fruit/veg, so he misses out on vitamin C - he's also on long-term proton pump inhibitor treatment (going on 2 years now) and the risk of fractures is high due to a problem with calcium absorption, so we want to make sure he gets calcium, too. The PPI's also prevent iron salt absorption (leading to anemia). He just gets a regular Flintstones vitamin every day (with iron).

hinazilleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hey leah that sounds like a sound decision to make...would you still have the same thoughts if there wasnt a NEED for the multivitamin?

a lot of parents i notice are substituting fresh fruit & vegetables for multivitamins...

1. leahlefler profile image95
        leahleflerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If Nolan didn't have other medical issues, he wouldn't be taking one. My older son is five (no significant medical issues), eats a typical diet (we have fruit and veg with every meal) and is healthy as a horse. My five year old does not take a multivitamin.

Nolan's situation is fairly rare (his reflux is getting progressively worse with age, to the point where it caused his airway to collapse), but he needs nutritional supplementation. For a while he was on a calorie supplement (DuoCal), and we liked the DuoCal system: it is just a calorie additive that can be sprinkled in or on regular food. That way he wasn't getting used to a "milk shake" diet (like with Pediasure) - he could still eat broccoli and drink regular milk, but got the extra calories he needed.

this is off the topic...but what is the cause of the reflux..have they determined this yet? im a pharmacist so this interests me smile

3. recommend1 profile image59
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

Vitamins started because diets were deficient, the lack of the various main vitamins was clear in the condition of people then.  Now the issue is different and with a minimum of thought a wide enough range of food types can be used to cover all the bases.

I would say don't give anything they don't need and cut down on the 'snacks' that are just a way of producers dumping their various waste into your house via expensive packaging.

are their any herbal multivitamins that you know of? every multivitamin preparations they have on the market seem to have so many chemicals...it makes me think twice about this concept..

1. recommend1 profile image59
        recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am in China and my Chinese partner controls our diet. This occasionally includes stuff i would not eat by choice but we are having it for some property or other that it contains.  I have never been so healthy.  This whole issue is huge in China, where it is normal to consult your Chinese medicine pharmacy and get leaves and thankfully unidentifiable 'things' that are put in the food, made into drinks or taken as a pill or medicinal liquid.

One of the big projects on my new site (see my hub) is to try to get some senior somebody at the Chinese Medicine University to write the real information in a form that is useful to western applications, ie in thefirst instance that we can get it.  Double big because it will all have to be translated before going online I guess !

that sounds interesting...do the herbal remedies you are being provided with work? is there any noticeable difference in your health that you can feel?

4. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Should you give anybody multivitamins? If you need multivitamins then you are eating an unhealthy or unbalanced diet, unless you have an overriding medical condition which dictates that this isn't possible.

I suppose multivitamins is better than novitamins, but telling them to stop stuffing their faces with fries and chocolate and buying in fruit and veg is all that anybody really needs to do.

ryan there is sometimes a health need to supplement with certain vitamins - for example leah mentioned above that her child is unable to take in citrus products (main source of vit c)...so what would be your solution in that case?

although i do agree with the concept of reducing fatty sugary oily snacks and switching to healthier fruit snacks and grains and seeds!

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can I hear an echo? I said:

"If you need multivitamins then you are eating an unhealthy or unbalanced diet, unless you have an overriding medical condition"

You said:

"ryan there is sometimes a health need to supplement with certain vitamins"

I know.

"so what would be your solution in that case?"

To take multivitamins. This is your question, not leahlefler's, and you have at no stage suggested that a medical condition has been involved.

So my answer remains the same:

"Should you give anybody multivitamins? If you need multivitamins then you are eating an unhealthy or unbalanced diet, unless you have an overriding medical condition which dictates that this isn't possible.

I suppose multivitamins is better than novitamins, but telling them to stop stuffing their faces with fries and chocolate and buying in fruit and veg is all that anybody really needs to do."

5. wilsontom profile image60
    wilsontomposted 13 years ago

i would suggest giving multi vitamins would be harm in future, try giving green vegetables and fresh fruits.

6. melpor profile image91
    melporposted 13 years ago

You should always give your children and yourself some form of multiple vitamins simply because children  do not eat a balanced meal most of the time. Vitamins taken from a bottle is the same vitamins found in vegetables and fruits. There are no differences between the two sources of vitamins. Also no matter how balanced your meals are you still do not get all the vitamins you need because during the cooking process a good portions of the vitamins are degraded. I personally take multiple vitamins everyday and I eat healthy balanced meals as much as I can. However, I do not believe in taking megadoses of vitamins because they do not serve any purpose, your body only use what it need. Also taking too much of a good thing is not always the best thing to do.

you said 'There are no differences between the two sources of vitamins'...the multivitamins that are packaged contain many chemicals additives and preservatives...it must affect your body in some way..

7. Iontach profile image68
    Iontachposted 13 years ago

Deffo better to increase their fruit and veg!, but since children are sooo fussy you may have to give them supplements. I know this is the case with my little sister, she can't even stomach vegetables.

i suppose you guys have tried recipe alternatives to the normal steamed veg? i.e. put mixed veg in pasta bake - i found that always worked with my little sister!

8. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 13 years ago

I think they should because they don't always get their "5 a day".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)