Racist liberals?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (31 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Yes, I think they do exist! Take, for example, the liberal/progressive Alternet's treatment of Herman Cain. Allusions to "black garbage pail kid" and "monkey" are included.

I have no problem with the black writer's opinion - I just wish he hadn't been so disrespectful to Cain. He could easily have chosen more appropriate words and still gotten his point across.

Can an African American be racist toward a fellow AA? I admit, I'm not up to speed on the latest guidelines for racists. Maybe the writer is just mean?

1. weholdthesetruths profile image61
      weholdthesetruthsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

habee, it's not required that someone be a racist, to use racial epithets and use racially demeaning and insulting jargon.   The question is: "Why do it?"

Do the people who engage in this think they are going to intimidate Cain into changing ideology?   Or at least shutting up?   Perhaps.   But I doubt it.

The real purpose for the racial tones and venom... Is to warn OTHER black people to not stray from the plantation.   It's a veiled warning "Stay with us, or we'll do this to you!"  It is the ultimate bully tool "Keep saying the right things, and stay with the right politics, or we will socially, economically, and publicly destroy you!"

It works on the cowed and dependent, ie, the Democrat Party constituency.

2. Wayne V profile image61
      Wayne Vposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hello,
      It would seem the biggest racists in my country are the black people, they hate, other black ethnic groups, our "coloured" and us white people too!
      South Africa, the Rainbow Nation. :}

I'm not sure that's true.   I just believe that liberal black people, are specifically racially tuned, and most sensitive to (as they seek to find offense for purpose of economic and political advancement) the racial prejudices and the expression of same.   

Thus, they're the "most equipped" with the verbal tools to attempt to insult, defame, or even more simply, to intimidate those who share a racial trait.   

Again, the question is "why"?    Is the racial animosity expressed toward Cain equal to that toward Jesse Jackson and Bill Cosby, from the same people?  I suspect not, and thus, the racial aspect is exposed as a lie, and the real motive is mere political or philosophical disagreement, and then the resulting efforts to intimidate the offendee into silence or compliance.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
        Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Apparently your memory of apartheid has faded.

1. Wayne V profile image61

Not at all Mr. Deeds, not at all. I am just reminded of it, but now in reverse. You do not know me but I was not a racist then or now. Not because of some lofty ideal, I just have never given a damn about a persons colour or politics. I watch how people behave then decide if I like 'em or not.

Sorry, I must add, my government representatives said today, if us whites okes refuse to sing the was banned/not banned /who the hell knows/ "Shoot the Boer" song we are been racist...

1. profile image0
              Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean, "if you refuse to sing the song"..?
              You're being forced to sing the song?
              Or just told you can't legally oppose it?

From what I read online, the song's offending words are repeated over and over like a sort of chant or actual political message, not like a regular song with mostly surrounding lyrics.
              What the heck is Bono thinking, to back the singer without realizing the song's impact?  Bono has a lot of talent, but has he become just another activist-minded singer?

The situation in SA is getting bad, we are on UN genocide watch, high up! This type of thing is very, very dangerous. I was in some of the African countries when they just went mad, Congo, Sierra Leonie etc. That idiot Bono has no idea what he could have sparked, huge ego, no brain. In the Mau Mau up rising 56 whites were killed, we are losing that many and double in a month, farm murders. The gov says it is robbery, not true. So, we are not forced to sing the song.... yet. I hope the world is watching. This is going to get messy.

1. profile image0

Wow.
                  Do local authorities have any power to protect the farmers?  Or is that the government you're referring to anyway?
                  What options are there, if any??

The local authorities are with the killers. I do not expect you to believe that, but this is Africa. The government is the ANC. What was called a terrorist organization, but the free West decided they were freedom fighters, they did this before, they still do it, they will kill whoever stands in the way of the gravy train. Shit, this is coming from a man that has no politics, but I have seen a lot and this is what I see now. It can become like Ruanda and the West will say, "Oh dear!" and lots of people will be dead. I am quite old and have no fear of death, but what of the young white farm children that don't even know the word apartheid? Wrong is wrong and this is very wrong.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

What goes around comes around...the shoe's on the other foot and pinching a bit.

I have nothing to say to that utterly callus remark. Tell that to the two year old child that was executed with a bullet in the back of her head on a farm the other day, because of the colour of her skin.
                I do not like you very much sir.

1. profile image0

Indeed.  Mr. Deeds' remark was totally callous, exhibiting the misplaced vengeance that so many liberals proudly carry on their sleeves.  In other words, just plain ol' liberal racism!

Don't let his shoulder chip distract us.
                  How are you today?
                  If you're willing, please tell me more about the situation.  Do you actually live in that area?
                  What started the whole thing?  Why is there such animosity toward white farmers?
                  A lotta questions, I know, but this is a subject of huge concern and effect.

Ha, ha this thing started long ago and sort of hit the news with the Mau Mau in Kenya. Kenyata not Mandela was the first "terrorist" around here to become a president. :}
                    As to Mr. Deeds
                    I belong to a group on facebook that has many Americans on it, first I looked up Mr Deeds, saw his card carrying status. This rang bells, but I do not know the difference between a Democrat and a Republican, so confessed my ignorance and asked them. Wow! It is a very military group, vets etc. Boy, they sure do not like Democrats!!! :}

The attacks on white farmers is good tactics, as a soldier I know this. So that is why the poor farmers, that feed a lot of Africa get slaughtered. Look to Zimbabwe history.
                    I smile when you say, "this is a subject of huge concern..." Damn right, survived a few wars but looks like I may not make this thing.
                    I am a gypsy type chap so move around all over and have stayed in some of the hot spots, where I dare not set foot outside after dark.

2. AnnCee profile image66
                AnnCeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Typical violent liberal response. 

South African Genocide

The number of white South African Farmers murdered since 1994 as of February 20, 2011:  3141

Youth Survives Panga attack

March 24 Randberg youth survives machete attack when his family home was invaded twice in seven hours.

Elderly woman viciously assaulted

25 March 2010: "I am just grateful he didn’t rape me,’ said 79-year-old Afrikaner resident of Bloemfontein Mrs Hester Thomas after her attacker stabbed her above the eye, beat her purple and blue, choked her, jumped on her chest and kicked her during a so-called ‘house robbery’ in which very little of any value was actually ‘robbed’. Volksblad journalist Vicüs Bürger reports that this is the third attack on elderly Afrikaners in Bloemfontein within a week. She was admitted to Pelonomi Hospital. The attacker merely ‘robbed’ some meat, cheese and clothing…

http://southofzambezi.blogspot.com/2010 … frica.html

Edit:  I took the photos down, they are just too painful.  White people are being forced out of jobs and forced into early retirement.  They are not being hired.  These are people who's families have lived in South Africa for nearly 200 years. 

Shall the US govt give or sell Manhatten and all the rest back to the various Indians who claimed to own it?

You liberals make messes where ever you go with what ever you get involved in.  Always.

3. uncorrectedvision profile image60
                uncorrectedvisionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So when a young black man beats you in the head with a brick and laughs, spitting on you and takes your wallets you are going to say,  "Dang, I sure had that coming for being an old, white man." ???

Please be consistent and say, "Yes."

1. profile image0

I wouldn't hold my breath for him to answer ya.
                  He hasn't responded to Wayne V or me either.  But hopefully he will!   I've tried 3 times to get an answer from another liberal on another thread too.....seems they kinda "hit and run," don't they?

2. SpanStar profile image60
                  SpanStarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

uncorrectedvision,

Your are correct that isn't right however let me go on to say We as people can effect how people think and behave by the way we've treated them.  Most people know if you get a puppy and you do nothing but be mean to it you will wind up with a mean dog.

People who come out of a mean prison usually don't come out with thoughts of love and tenderness.

Years of mistreatment and/or abuse can change people in to doing things with little regret.  It's unfortnate but none the less true.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image59
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not sure the term "monkey" is racist.  My wife often refers to her little monkey in a way that doesn't offend me in the least.

1. DTR0005 profile image61
        DTR0005posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah... I noticed she does...wink

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
          Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hands off the monkey!!! mad

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

couturepopcafe --when have we EVER been isolationist? It's a serious question. Not in my lifetime!
    Not that I disagree with you. Not at all!
    We have more than enough pressure-cooker issues going on here at home. No matter which country is in turmoil -- friend or foe -- what we do (or don't do) we will be blamed.
    Well ok. If the world wants us to be their keeper, then how about being a little grateful when we help you out?
    If they want us to stay out of their business, we should. But then don't turn around and blame us for not playing Superman and saving the day.
    Can't have it both ways!

3. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

Racism isn't confined to one ideology or another nor is it a simple  binary of "is this person racist, yes or no."  Oftentimes a person does not even understand what or why their actions are racist.

Take, for instance, an oft repeated study.  Researchers called a number of homes which they have previously collected data on (without informing them it would be used for an experiment later).  The caller would pretend to have misdialed a tow-truck company's number.  In half the instances, a "neutral" voice would be used while in the other half a voice which was identifiably African-American would be used.

Speaking with the homeowner, the researcher would explain that while he was sorry for the wrong number, he had used his last two quarters calling for a tow truck and if they could please call a towing company for him so he could get his car to a garage and go home.

The researchers, unsurprisingly, found white conservative homes were less likely to offer aid to the black man's request than one they might identify as white.  Well and good right?

Well, they went back and crunched some numbers and found something odd. While white liberal folk were more likely to offer help to the black person, they were also SIGNIFICANTLY more likely to hang up on the black person before they even reached the point of requesting help in the first place, leaving the unlucky "stranded motorist" just as screwed as if they had said no to their request for aid.

Why is this important?  It is an example of how even people who make a conscious choice to do the right thing may have some ingrained racism other bias they are not even aware they are acting on.

Most importantly, doing something racist does not make you a bad person. If you refuse to apologize, if you continue to perpetuate behavior that harms others even after it has been pointed out to you- then you might have a problem, though. Otherwise, it just makes you a person that needs to learn.

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this.  Everyone is racist to some degree.

Nonsense.

4. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/11/24/128720334179767399.jpg

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

He wasn't gonna spank it, Ron. At least, I don't think he was... were you, DTR? lol

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Just going to feed it bananna!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)