Madison - Capitol of Civil Protest

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

"I just spent four days in Madison and the state Capitol, reporting, and saw absolutely no violence. There were no arrests on Saturday, when 80,000 liberals rallied and a smaller number of Tea Partiers counter-protested. There were no arrests last night when hundreds of angry protesters watched the GOP-led Assembly pass the budget repair act. There are no arrests, so far, in Madison."

This is from David Weigel on Slate.com.

The facts are remarkable. Eighty THOUSAND people and NO arrests. There is a huge popular revolt against union-busting that winners want to discredit. The last major poll had 61% in SUPPORT of collective bargaining rights. And the crowds everywhere are well-mannered until some teabaggers out for a confrontation manufacture a fake one.

That's what's really happening.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

If gasoline goes to five or six dollars a gallon or more, might be seeing Madison's'
    everywhere.

Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If gas goes to $5 per gallon, you will see a lot more interest in hybrids, eclectic cars, mass transit, and high speed rail. GEE, what president has encouraged and financed the development of these alternatives to foreign oil?

3. AnnCee profile image66
    AnnCeeposted 13 years ago

With a captive audience of core Democratic voters at their feet, U.S. Reps. Edward Markey, Michael Capuano and Stephen Lynch took turns rallying a pro-labor crowd, defending the collective bargaining rights of teachers, nurses, postal workers and other unionized workers.

The protest of Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker’s proposal to eliminate core bargaining rights for unions gave the three Congressional Democrats a ready platform to reach out not just to the crowd, but to Democratic voters across the state watching the rally unfold on television and through the media.

The crowd cheered and hooted for each Congressman as they spoke - the tougher the talk, the louder the reception.

http://www.dotnews.com/2011/potential-u … nion-rally

It's NOT for lack of trying.

I'm not real clear what your point is. Yes, democrats are in defense of worker's rights. Conservatives are attacking those rights. There is and will be tough talk about the role of unions and collective bargaining.  Free speech is extended to democrats, liberals and even progressive.

Last time I checked, anyway.

If we are in agreement, great. If you have a rational point of disagreement, I must admit, I missed it.

4. knolyourself profile image61

"If gas goes to $5 per gallon, you will see a lot more interest in hybrids, eclectic cars, mass transit," Actually most American major cities had mass transit in the thirties and forties. The oil, auto and tire industries told the cities they could run these systems cheaper called privatization. What a deal.
    'Cept oil, auto and tire ran them into the ground and bankrupted them so then they could sell buses, more gas and more tires. Seems to me alternative industries have to contend with these existing power structures not friendly to competition.

Agreed.  Those power structures have fought against alternatives for decades. Now we have an administration who will block for fledgling industries and give the consumer access to options.

5. knolyourself profile image61

"Now we have an administration who will block for fledgling industries and give the consumer access to options".
    "block", Freudian slip I presume. Obama will block fledgling industries. He works
    for the giant corps. He's a fox in the hen house. Look what he does and not what he says. How much tax payer money did he give to the Wall Street gangsters. And has he prosecuted any but one.

6. DatChicLeeLee727 profile image61
    DatChicLeeLee727posted 13 years ago

Citizens protesting in Wisconsin are keeping hope alive for working families all over the country. Working people wont have anybody to help them without unions to uphold their rights.

1. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So who is going to stand up for the rights of the taxpayer?

"Rights of the taxpayer" is a cute little sound bite. Learn that from Glenn Beck? Did you ever stop to think that the cops firefighters teaches and other state workers ARE taxpayers?  Did you forget that a real poll (USA Today/Gallup) showed only 33% of 'taxpayers' would strip state employees of collective bargaining?

You have every right to argue a minority opinion - but let's be clear and factual. The majority of taxpayers are NOT out to cheat workers their rights.

1. profile image60
          logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No one said anything about cheating workers out of their rights.
          Not that it is any of your concern, but I never watch Beck.
          I learned from reading the Constitution, and other documents pertaining to the rights of individuals and the limitation of government.
          I am a taxpayer and I pay the public employees through elected officials. When my employee's start making more than I do, when their benefits are several times greater than mine, then it is time to rein them in.  I bust my ass every day to make my living and pay my taxes.  I do not deny anyone a good living, but when they are making it off of me and I am sacrificing my quality of life so they can enjoy a much greater quality of life, then I'm going to dig in my heels.
          As far as polls go, they only reflect how you want to interpret them.  I've been polled and been part of an organization that had polls done so I am well aware of how they work.

7. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

And lets not forget, the REAL tax cheats are the Uber wealthy and the corporations.
    They came to the middle-class to pay their share!!

And,they are also financing the gv'nor!!!

This is class warfare. Has been for a very long time.

Check-Mate.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)