HubPages CNet Article - the Anti-Content Farm?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Pandoras Box profile image59
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

"Regardless of the changes Google makes, we will continue to strive to create the most rewarding place to publish online and continue to innovate for our fantastic community," Edmondson said in a statement, adding that had the algorithm worked as Google wanted it to, he would have expected to see HubPages content with higher "HubScores" ranked more prominently in search results. "While we welcome changes that improves quality, and we hold our authors to the highest UGC (user-generated content) standards--much more comprehensive and strict than Google's YouTube. We feel that too much high quality content is suffering as part of this update. We haven't seen any change in traffic from Google to higher quality Hubs (articles) since the update. This is disappointing."

A HubPages representative told CNET that internal metrics did not correspond to Sistrix's findings, and that it's still too early to tell what the long-term implications of Google's actions will be.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-20037 … z1FMiMKFHq

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I could read that with a jaundiced eye and decide that Paul thinks there is nothing that needs to change at HP...

2. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I should zip my lip here in an effort to remain all HP-warm-and-fuzzy, but...

I find it rather disgusting that Paul opted to make his first public statement about this whole thing a PR opp instead of addressing the HP community directly.

And I found it very interesting that he equates high hubscores to "quality" content. As far as I can tell from my hubs, traffic and comments plays a huge part of hubscore -- not quality. I've seen spun garbage that has a higher hubscore than some of my hubs.

I just lost quite a bit of respect for Paul.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, although I am open minded, there is a small chance that a journo squeezed a couple of quotes out of him and managed to string together an article out of it... rather than a pre-arranged interview in which he considered his statement.

Albeit, we could do with some additional communication. On a positive note, he is fighting the corner for Hubpages. I would hope that his insistance that Hubpages is high quality will go hand in hand with some stricter publishing conditions though, because that seems to be the general response in the wider market.

There is tonnes of great stuff here, but more could be done to weed out junk (and not just new junk but also retrospective junk). Personally I think that there should also be a huge "Improve Your Hub Challenge" inititiative too.

You know, 30 improved hubs in 30 days, all that shizzle wink

2. Pcunix profile image90

Starting popular threads in the forums increases Hubber score too.  Getting a bunch of folks really incensed at  your opinion is worth two or three points easily.

1. dingdondingdon profile image59
        dingdondingdonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well then, on that note may I just say that I hate puppies and I keep a collection of them to kick in my free time. smile

1. profile image0

Great idea!

2. waynet profile image70
          waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

evil....!

3. ewd76 profile image61
          ewd76posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You too?

2. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well then, I'm surprised your hubber score isn't significantly higher! smile

It was - when I started some big controversial threads.  And it stayed there until they petered out.

3. I am DB Cooper profile image63
        I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah, so that's why people start those stupid "Let's count to 1 million" threads.

3. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, Paul did respond to the community with a blog post several days ago.

Also, while I am torn in that I sincerely want to reassure all of you, I'm not sure what any of us could have said, other than "we're on it," which I did say.  Instead of spending the weekend sucked into back-and-forth in the countless forum threads, we all put our heads down and did something much more ultimately useful--continued to work for the betterment of the site.

1. dingdong profile image58
        dingdongposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great team!

2. Don Simkovich profile image60
        Don Simkovichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Maddie, for posting this. I know I've written high quality content. I just did an interview with two owners of a fabric company in LA. I've seen Ezine articles send out emails in response to this as well.

4. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think both Google and HubPages would consider traffic and comments marks of quality. A comment should show that a reader stayed on the page rather than clicking back or immediately leaving through an ad and also was stimulated by the quality of the content enough to interact.

It also makes a page dynamic and shows that it is still relevant and timely.

If Google was only sending sites that it finds to be "quality" traffic, then in turn HP should consider traffic a quality indicator.

I suspect some elements of wishful thinking in Pauls comments, but it makes sense that Paul would stand by his algorithm just as google stands by theirs. Probably from a macro level, the hubs that fall in the 80-100 range are mostly top overall quality and the ones that stay in the nofollow range are not of great quality.

And Hp would rightfully expect that if Google switch was quality focused then some reflection should be seen in HP's vast portfolio - but as everyone knows the algo flip just helped established ecommerce, ancient outdated forums and content and eHow - oh yeah and scrapers

That's the problem, for them and us.

We don't know WHICH of many possible reasons has caused this.

It would be foolish for HP to delete all duped content if that is NOT part of Google's gripe.  There is no point in getting tougher about spammy stuff if Google doesn't think we are above its magic percentage for crap.

There would be no point in removing hubs with links from spammy sites if the percentage is again too low to affect us and there is no point in changing internal linking structures if THAT isn't what made Big G roll its eyes.

HP needs to figure out WHERE the problems really are.  That's the hard part. Fixing them is much, much easier.

3. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Why i respect HP ? Because staff is not gaming SE like any other content farms. I found plenty of articles on IB with 1 or 3 views but 100+ FB likes. Not taking a shot on IB but have to openly admit that why HP staff deserves *rant-time-out* during this period.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4703318_f248.jpg

4. Pandoras Box profile image59
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

Huh. That makes sense. I went months and months without publishing but as long as I was active in the rel and pol forums I always enjoyed high 80's and low 90's anyway.

It's a traffic draw I guess. Makes ya wonder why they don't monetize the forums.

1. profile image0

Forums are notoriously difficult to monetize, the CTR for AdSense on a typical forum can be something like 0.1% so it really isn't worth the hassle.

It would also mean 24 hour per day constant moderation, and topics being banned. It's bad enough not being able to write about certain topics for Hubs, yet alone being banned about talking about gambling or sex on here!

1. Pandoras Box profile image59
        Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good point, Ryan, that makes sense.

On another note, I was making no observation myself, merely providing the link.

(kiss kiss)

5. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 13 years ago

Personally - I am glad he is out there fighting for my content and promoting the site rather than in here telling me not to worry. big_smile

1. skyfire profile image79
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same here!!!

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm so in agreement here. I'm sure he's been contacted by numerous media outlets for comments and response.  As far as not speaking to the community first, well, they let us know last week that new advertising changes were on the way, plus his own blog post.
      It's his business that's at stake, I'm pretty certain he's doing whatever he has to do to move forward in the business community. HP reputation is at stake. I'm glad to see he's out there fighting the fight!

6. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

I've been interviewed a few times over the years. Always the same: what I meant and said wasn't close to what got read hmm

No idea how it went and tbh I'm square with some pr. Someone better because we're getting a kicking all over. That cheeses me off more than the algo change.

So Paul can get himself around and remind everyone just how great this site is/can be. Hell I'd drive him there if he'd get in my frog-mobile smile

7. Froggy213 profile image63
    Froggy213posted 13 years ago

Thank you Paul.
    He is out there fighting for us and I see people whining.
    Take it from a guy who has been here at hub pages a long time, Paul and Robin have us all as their priority. They know if we are happy, they are happy.
    I have tried out many writing sites and no one has been more personally involved than Paul and the staff at hub pages.
    This is not a butt-kissing but an honest statement. I would be the first to jump if I thought Paul was doing wrong, but I agree with how he is handling this whole thing.
    Count your blessings, at least you are not in Egypt with no internet or a means to publish your thoughts and ideas.

1. Brie Hoffman profile image61
      Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  I mean at least he's out there trying to do something, what more can we ask.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

Sigh.

That's all.  Just sigh.

Oh and say hi.  But not yet goodbye.

Maybe soon.

There ya go - that's high UGC content and that's what rakes in the traffic - or did until Friday.

No need to change.

9. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

It is a mostly positive article on cnet, that is a pretty big deal. It would be nice to hear a statement from the team HERE, but I think I feel even better having the entire world hear good things instead of having my ego stroked on the forums.

1. Brie Hoffman profile image61
      Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree

10. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 13 years ago

Sit tight, folks. Maddie's right when she says we're on it. Things are very, very (very) busy here, but Paul is readying a second blog post which we hope to have up shortly. No one should think that we're ignoring this. (We're posting on the blog since it's more widely read by our community and beyond)

Paul's been asked to speak to many different media outlets over the past few days, and naturally will not miss an opportunity to share what we've noticed about the update (the substance of which is similar to what he shared in his previous blog post)

1. Mutiny92 profile image63
      Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks Jason and Maddie!  I look forward to seeing the plan of action to 1) remove old, bad content; 2) address the variance between Google's definition of quality and HubPages definition; 3) lay out a path to keep HubPages well respected (read: good positions in SERPs)

Thanks for the hard work!

As I said above, we don't know what actions need to be taken, so there is no point to a plan until that is known.

you're right!  It will be interesting to see what those actions are.

1. IzzyM profile image87
            IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm getting all excited now waiting for something good...

2. Pcunix profile image90

It wouldn't hurt to put a link to it in "OfficialHubPages Announcements" as it is an .. umm .. Official HubPages Announcement..

1. webismine profile image58
        webismineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This would be fine, considering how many hubbers do not visit the HP blog at all.

3. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think we are, for the main. Reckon we're sat more squirmy than tight but we're still sitting.

I've seen some sad stuff though, have to admit. Companies that are already considering who to lay off if the dust doen't settle a bit more fairly. And I'm talking about the guys that don't deserve to be buried under the dross that's now risen to the top.

Anyway, both - and everyone else in the office, thank you.

11. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

My traffic's still a big pile of pants but relieved to hear from HP team so off to celebrate with an enormous glass of whisky and coke.

Thanks team.

Spacey Gracey - you could just ask for donations now that the views are in the tank.  http://hubpages.com/hub/Help-is-very-much-appreciated  Gotta make up the income from the SERP-busting of the past few days!

I LOVE hubhopping!  These are hilariously poor quality.  tongue

1. Spacey Gracey profile image39
        Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol - maybe I should just post up my home address and you can all send me tea bags and whiskey - the two things I need to cope day and night with the trauma smile

12. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago
    1. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting read! I would love to know which hubbers have been in with the testing (I usually get asked to do some of that, but not this time sad)

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Positive improvements about to be implemented isn't it? Maybe you were included, you just didn't know, LOL or they just culled it from their data.

1. Susana S profile image94
          Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very positive smile No I definitely wasn't in - I'd be grinning from ear to ear if my income had risen 60% big_smile I could sure do with kind of increase right now....

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
            prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Def we were hit but love to see the extent of it coming from our own data not sistrix etc, but of course it is for the HP management management to analyze it.
            I need that 60 percent increased too, LOL

13. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)