Are Humans Still Evolving?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (71 posts)
  1. superwags profile image67
    superwagsposted 13 years ago

It was long regarded that humans have done the majority of their evolving and have largely stopped because of the cushy way in which technology has influenced out lives.

In characteristics like skin colour, lactose tolerance and capillary density in people living at high altitude it is obvious that we have had a degree of evolution acting upon us for the past 250,000 years; but is it still happening today?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Evolving into what?  haha
      Well, we adapt sometimes.
      I won't get into a big discussion of biological evolution.
      Just got tickled at remembering a Stephen King movie where a meteor hits the ground outside his character's home (King often played bit roles or whole roles in his shows).  He touches the glowing green ground and eventually winds up with green moss-like stuff engulfing his whole body.  He gives an awestruck but resigned look and says "I'm GROWING!"  LOL  I cracked up.  The man sure has a wild imagination.

superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As I've said earlier, this is in the science and eductaion forum, not the religious forum.

1. profile image0

Umm....I didn't say anything about religion!
          But please excuse me if you thought my post wasn't okay?  I was just inserting a funny point into it, actually related to the discussion of evolution....

2. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

..of course they are!
      As long as life  exists, evolution will be in full blossom and healthy!
      Qwark

I guess the question was whether we'd evolve in a discernable way in our current conditions? There are no longer the evolutionary pressures that were present before.

Obviously evolution will still be a possibility to adapt to a certain pressures, but do these still matter, given medicine, technology etc?

More over, because we are so interconected now; is it likely that there would be sufficient geographic isolation to keep inherited traits like skin colour etc.?

1. qwark profile image61

Wags:
          Evolution is controlled by environment.
          As Melpor said evolution, relevant to complex life, is very tortuous and slow.
          The more complex the species the longer it takes to make  necessary adaptations as environments change.
          "ALL" that we are, wherever we exist on this planet, is due to the environment within which facets of the human species lingers or has developed over great periods of time.
          Man is currently, profoundly involved in his evolution and as long as he survives, evolution will always be be doing it's natural job as it does with all other life.
          Skin color, the ability of the body to carry oxygen in people living in high altitudes, all the digestive processes have been explained and are not a mystery.
          Thanks for the response.
          Qwark

But if I had to postulate on whether humans will evolve in a discernable way in the future, I'd have thought it'd be unlikely, save for a disaster such as a pandemic with which modern medicine couldn't immediately solve. If AIDS was left uncontrolled for example then it'd be likely that it would leave people with the CCR5 allele behind to continue on evolutionary progress.

Let me be clear, I am aware that evolution is an organic process which will go on every time the genetic code is transcribed to a new individual, however I don't see ourselves as likely to be profoundly affected by it going forward unless we ourselves choose to apply it in a "designer baby" scenario. I don't see where an advantageous mutation is likely to be magnified through evolution anymore.

I mean, clearly it has in past - and in relatively short periods of time, as I posted to Melpor on a couple of points (skin colour and digestive process). But is this going to be given the opportunity to influence us in the present and future?

Andy

1. qwark profile image61

Hi Andy:

Since we cannot predict the future even, from day to day, why would anyone think that evolution would evolve in a "discernable way," unless accomplished under controlled circumstances?

There is no doubt, in my mind, that if man survives the next 100 yrs, he will genetically engineer another 'species" of human being. That would be the result of the human, utilizing the fruits of his continuing evolution. Having accomplished this, would make your thought: "I don't see where an advantageous mutation is likely to be magnified through evolution anymore." (of course it might not be advantageous) null and void.

Andy, I understand your point. Evolution, as it relates to "us" will not be recognized by the LAYPERSON in OUR lifetime.

If we last another millenia and have not been involved in a disaster that will adversely affect our intellectual progress, the possibility exists that man will learn to control his environment, thus controlling his evolution and as an adjunct will have progressed like a geometric progression in his tech abilities.

I don't see that as being a possibility tho.

If you've read any of my "hubs," I, pessimistically, predict a massive reduction in human population sometime in the next 50 yrs.

Fingers crossed I am wrong.

Qwark

3. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

4. toddwertz profile image59
      toddwertzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think so. I f you believed that humans had evolved since the very beginning according to Charles Darwin, then it could be possible. This is my own view.

5. Shahid Bukhari profile image59
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We ... Humans ... are the ultimate "living" Time Machines !
      ... and not ... what H.G.Wells or other Science's rationalized Fiction writers, like Darwin, have to say on the subject.

Our "evolution" ... if Evolution is the right word, begins, when we are conceived by our mothers ... we evolve 100% unto the human form ...
      never 97%, or 99% ... this being the Rule ... then we grow; meaning, Evolve, ... from a child, unto the adult, and on to old age ... and then we die.

Modern Genetists, are however, trying their level best, to alter The Ordained Course of Human Evolution ... but rest assured ... they will fail.

Erm, ok. I'm not really sure what you're on about...

I'm not sure you're really going to be much use in this debate!

2. qwark profile image61

...this is pure, unadulterated idiocy! ILMAO!  smile:
        Qwark

Hehe, this guy cracks me up! Check out some of his other responses. They're like the ramblings of an embarrassing mad and drunken uncle at a family party!

1. qwark profile image61

Wags:
            WE've been putting up with his religiously inspired idiocy for years.
            I usually don't respond to any of his comments, but this one was so funny, I just had to...smile:
            Qwark

6. Pakmara profile image52
      Pakmaraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

evolution is a change that goes beyond the species border.
      Mutation is a change within the species. Have you seen mutation that lasts longer than one generation?

The only change you can see is that people are getting taller (or fatter smile ) but this isn't conditioned by some external necessity like "the need to see beyond tall grass" or something.

So, if mutations are not taking place, what can we say about evolution.

Almost everything you've just said there is wrong. In answer to whether mutation lasts longer than one generation, the answer of course is yes. In fact I'm quite baffled that you've actually said that! I thought even the most dyed in the wool creationist would have to accept that at least!

I'm really not sure that this justifies a proper response.

2. Pandoras Box profile image59
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

I sincerely hope so.

3. rorymullen profile image61
    rorymullenposted 13 years ago

I honestly can not accept that we came from Monkeys or mice or any other creature that we are genetically close to. I think God put us on earth and with time everything evolves giving time. Look at the fish give them time and more fish will be able to walk on land.

1. simeonvisser profile image69
      simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You don't seem to understand how evolution works. It does not claim we came from monkeys (nor mice). It also does not claim fish will walk on land tomorrow.

2. superwags profile image67

That's great Rory, but this forum is on "Education and Science", not on "Beliefs and Religion".

3. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

god put us on earth is one of first concepts which humans had...though proven wrong but it was first answer of its kind...slowly reasonable findings proved that theory wrong...

4. Sneha Sunny profile image86
      Sneha Sunnyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i think, however both science and god/religious concepts gives the same conclusion (like humans were evolved)  but when we  talk about it  in deep (like about how humans were evolved), science and religious views will always oppose each other......

4. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

This might be the easiest question I have ever answered.

Absolutely. Our brain is evolving, as we get smarter and smarter. If we were to live in complete darkness, there is no doubt in my mind we would evolve a new way to see. And possibly even lose our eyes.  That certainly would be something wouldn't it?

1. rorymullen profile image61
      rorymullenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Would we use our eyes like cats or evolve like bats.

1. profile image0
        jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It would have been better if you cared to use your brain.....

2. superwags profile image67

But is our brain evolving in a Darwinian sense? People are't dying out for the most part because our brains are taking in more information (don't take into account "Darwin award" winners!).

I'm just not sure there's sufficient evolutionary pressure on 99% of humans any more.

1. rorymullen profile image61
        rorymullenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We will not evolve any more faster due to the stigma of practicing controversial  medicine on humans. We need to take drastic measures to see if we can tap into what our brains can handle.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes - we are evolving. This is a process that cannot stop - ever. The pressure is simply "artificial" now - i.e. - we create it ourselves to a large extent. The more we control and pollute our environment - the more we will be forced to adapt. Another 100 years burning fossil fuels and we will either adapt or die. Simple.

Actually, having just joked about Glasgow with you, there's actually an important study that focuses on that city in particular.

Its (in)famously low age of death is down to greater levels of antibodies in people's systems as children. Basically, it is more beneficial (or was in the 19th and early 20th century) for kids to have higher survival rates to reproductive age than it was for them to live for a long time. The upshot is that places like Glasgow, Manchester, Birmingham residents have a lower life expectancy regardless of other factors.

When I ask, are we evolving, I suppose what I'm asking is whther any of these traits will show up, or have enough time to show up in any meaningful sense in the modern world?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

Yes. I forget the name, but people of white European descent developed an gene that makes them more resistant to AIDS than other races.

The thinking is that this developed during one of the European plagues and has a beneficial side effect. I will see if I can find the information when I get back from my therapy session.

The google shift has not been kind to me. Going for a run in the woods. big_smile

1. Amanda Severn profile image95
              Amanda Severnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I remember seeing a documentary about that. It focused on Eyam in Derbyshire, the so-called plague village. Some of the families living there survived the Black Death, and their descendants still live in the area. They have been found to have the same genetic marker as certain prostitutes and members of the gay community who have remained healthy despite repeated exposure to HIV.

CCR5-Δ32 allele

http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/99/8/497.full

Mostly Northern Europeans developed it.

I don't like the opening line of this article that "Black Death and AIDs have really captured the popular imagination"! I think if I'd reviewed this I may have recommended a change here!

2. Pandoras Box profile image59
            Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That study sounds interesting. Got a link or a name?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news … s-science/

The UCL study mentioned within this is the study to which I refered earlier (I think!!). I'm not sure it mentions it here in too much detail, but in some big industrial cities in the UK (and presumably the world over) where the disease problem was really accute, people overactive immune systems cause the their bodies to shut down even more quickly in the long run.

As far as evolution is concerned, it doesn't really matter whether you die at 40 or 140 of course, so long as you've kicked out your kids by that time!

1. Pandoras Box profile image59

Thank you, I don't think I'd heard that before. The first part yes, about exposure causing greater resistance, but not about the association with reduction in life spans.

Interesting, thanks.

5. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 13 years ago

Every living organism on earth including human are always evolving from generation to generation. Each offspring of all living organism is a slight improvement over the previous generation. Evolution is the essence of life, only the fittest survives and the weakest dies. Evolution does not stop for an organism until it become extinct.

When I ask, are we evolving, I suppose what I'm asking is whther any of these traits will show up, or have enough time to show up in any meaningful sense in the modern world?

1. melpor profile image90
        melporposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Some traits will take thousands of years to present itself. Remember it took about 4 million years to get to where we are now. Evolution is a very gradual process. There are some noticeable traits such as increase in height, the ability to consume carbonhydrates, a leaner body, etc., just to name a few that have occurred over the last thousand years.

That's what I'm getting at; I think it's unlikely that much evolution could still take place given the time it takes and the geographic isolation generally needed.

I'm fasciated by the evolution of traits like skin colour, the bodys' ability to carry oxygen in people living in high altitudes and the ability to process alcohol, milk etc.

It's likely that we've bee able to digest lactose for around only 7000 years, white coloured skin may have originated in Europe less than 10,000 years ago etc. That's a pretty short space of time in a humans who'd already pretty much established animal husbandry and farming practices. Even so, evolutionary pressure would have been far greater then...

6. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Yes, we are evolving and doing it at super speed.

Look at old suits or armor - the average man can't fit in them today because we're bigger.

We are losing our wisdom teeth - many never grow them now and jaws are getting smaller

There are many such things that are changing in the human species.

The change in height is mainly down to better nutrition and general health though. It is remarkable how much taller we've become since even the turn of the 20th century.

It looks like wisdom teeth will hang on bacause of modern medicine. People just don't die of wisdom teeth anymore. Or appendix problems. They probably would have proided sufficient evolutionary pressure to get shot of them out of our genetics without medicine though!

7. joshhunt83 profile image60
    joshhunt83posted 13 years ago

I think we're evolving mentally. As the global knowledge base increases as a race we're evolving because of it. In terms of physical evolution that is a difficult one.

Social evolution. Very good, but not quite the same thing.

2. maven101 profile image71
      maven101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I disagree..By simply increasing our knowledge base does not increase our genetic IQ...Critical thinking requires effort and concentration...The enormous accessibility of knowledge now available at the click of a mouse is not much incentive for brain development...The folks that built the pyramids, the Great Wall of China, the Greek philosophers, all developed critical thinking skills with a bare minimum of prior information...Someone here has stated that we are getting smarter...I contend that those ancients were just as " smart " if not more so, than present humans...

8. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

We still are evolving! The problem is we get involed in to much trivial stuff to progess as a human race.

9. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

I always wonder how scientists explain how the human race seemed to suddenly have this explosion of literature and social behavior only over the last few thousand years. It seems to me that the human mind very suddenly was capable of writing and learning only a few thousand years ago, and since then has gotten to the point where we are able to build monuments and machines of advanced complexity to the point where we are able to send people into space, communicate between hemispheres through extreme technological advances, etc. On an evolutionary scale that is a huge spike in the development of the human mind.

The current theory on that - and this is something we did not have a full explaination for until recently - is the trade in ideas. Humans are the only animals which trade ideas in this way, and trade labour amongst others.

If you're interested here's a talk given by Matt Ridley (from my own home town!) on the subject of the trade in ideas and why things take off as quickly as they do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLHh9E5ilZ4

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

Really - you wondered but never bothered looking I take it? sad

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well it hasn't been a burning desire for me to scrape through the intralies about it.

No - I figured you would not bother looking. wink

10. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

It is pretty much proven that we are still evolving, our brains are getting more advanced and larger. We are however devolving physically, we are becoming weaker, as the last 100 years really have been the only years where only the strongest survive and bread with each other to create stronger beings. That is the reason, sadly, why Africans tend to be much more physically strong.... the sad part being that the "survivol of the fittest" is still very much applicable to their children in many parts of the continent.

Scientists recently announced that the only things getting bigger are our heads smile Literally though.

11. Sneha Sunny profile image86
    Sneha Sunnyposted 13 years ago

yes.... one scientist have even given an idea about how the future humans will look..... process of evolution will never stop.... it can stop for some time but as soon as the environment will change our physical look and advancement/capabilities will also change.........

1. profile image0

Okay I gotta ask--
      What does he say humans will look like?

1. skyfire profile image79
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Some possible physical changes include - big head, less hairs on skin, no appendice etc etc.

But is that right? We need survival pressure on these characteristics for them to evolve to future generations.

Appendice maybe, but we have medecine to deal with this now, so will it evolve out still, it has in the past obviously.

2. Sneha Sunny profile image86

like.....humans will be taller........about 6 to 7 feet, life span upto 120 years, chin will recede, youth and fertility will improve...
        maybe in future our immune system will be weak due dependence on medicine....
        and two sub-species of humans will evolve (genetic upper class and a dim-witted underclass) because People would become choosier about their sexual partners....The descendants of the genetic upper class would be tall, slim, healthy, attractive, intelligent, and creative and a far cry from the "underclass" humans who would have evolved into dim-witted, ugly, squat goblin-like creatures.
        Dr. Curry says that humans will be almost similar to the humans predicted by HG wells in his novel THE TIME MACHINE (1895).

1. profile image0

Wow.
          Just wow for now....
          I gotta google Dr. Curry.

1. Sneha Sunny profile image86

its very interesting........ but i was thinking only because of sexual partner's selection, can two different sub-species will evolve......??? because environmental conditions in which we all will live will  be the same.....and since the environment and its effect will be same then the possible changes should be same......

1. profile image0

Dr. Oliver Curry in London...I found an article you refer to.

Well.  Yeah, I don't understand what he means by the change being caused by sexual partner selection either.

I find his theory very imaginative, but that's it.  I think he dismisses the fact that humans have always had a wide range of different body heights and shapes.  And from his theory, it would seem that humans are gonna "devolve" instead of "evolve".....

yeah.... genetic variations will always be there....
                due to advancement in science we will be able to select the features of our offsprings....their intelligence, colour of eyes, shape of lips etc etc....

There's a town in Massachusetts that's been part of study in evolution modelling. They found that people would generally become more stocky and slightly shorter in future. Strange one really - what you'd expect.

This was discussed on a documetary the other night but I didn't pay enough attention to who's study it was and can't find the reference!

Dr.curry says  that they will be 6-7feet tall.......  in discovery channel also i have seen that people will be taller......... strange looks, and the number of finger in hands and feet will also increase......

12. FifthEdition profile image60
    FifthEditionposted 13 years ago

we are still evolving

13. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I would argue that some of us stopped evolving a LONG time ago

1. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

considering you natural instinct , it sounds pretty true wink

14. alexisanne1977 profile image59
    alexisanne1977posted 13 years ago

Yes!  Undeniably YES!

15. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 13 years ago

How could we not evolve? We create our conditions by our actions.

If we could all learn just that we'd have made a huge step.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)