Is it possible that Google gave HubPages a bigger 'slap' down

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (27 posts)
  1. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

because of the new ads. they were testing on the site before the  Google changes ?

Or are they too big (Google) to care about the other ads here or maybe Google search and Adsense are not 'connected' in anyway?

Sorry, I just have the sort of mind that keeps asking questions even about subjects I do not know much about.

1. Hubman007 profile image60
      Hubman007posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Google do say its nothing to do with ads.

However, it does seem more then a coincedence that hubpages was affected more by the change then others.

Perhaps it is something about the way the pages are set up or maybe it was personal?

2. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No. Do check potpiegirl's blog for some stats that she collected on content farms(this includes HP). If that's how things started then HP got hit way before feb. Another point is that many sites which are not running google ads are not touched at all. In fact 'made-for-adsense' sites got hit badly.

3. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

search and adsense are supposed to be unconnected. Adsense team will give different advice than webspam team .. so seems true

- { Matt cutts on adsense /index  }

the ads on hubs have been running for a very long time in the HP share.

seems to be heavily influenced by user experience of which adsense placement is relevant

1. Michael Willis profile image67
        Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have read in several places that the "flow of the reading" is important. I can see where the Ads in the middle of the page would disrupt the reading. (ex. amazon, e-bay and some adsense)
        I know I don't like to be reading an article and see an Ad shoved right there in my view!
        I personally would prefer to see the Ads to the right or the left outside columns of the Text area. I know that one or two placed correctly in text may be acceptable, but they do disrupt the readers.

4. cpvr profile image60
      cpvrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The advertisements have nothin to do with it, its the amount of different content, and not enough links.

2. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

Most of the sites that rose up in the ranks had no Google Ads on them at all. Wikipedia, Amazon... nada. I highly doubt Google revenge bombed Hubpages.

Now, it is possible they just don't like lots of ads in general. Google Ads+HP Ads+Amazon Capsules is a lot of advertising in one article and it could have been an issue.

But what do I know! I just write and trudge along.

3. Rising Caren profile image79
    Rising Carenposted 13 years ago

Google is very big. Even if they end up losing adsense revenue from HP, they'll still make money from many (MANY) other sites.

So personally I don't think the new ad program has anything to do with it. I think it's mostly because of all the duplicate/spun content, or very short useless content that exists only for a linkback. Even though I've seen a lot of really good hubs, I've also noticed a lot of the bad ones and it really does affect how HP is seen.

I'm on various other websites and HP is often considered "the site where you put short articles to link back to your real article and you still get to earn from adsense/amazon and it will get you visitors because it ranks highly and very quickly". That kind of reputation is just not that great.

So that's probably why it had to be slapped so hard: to stop this linkback attitude and to stop people from abusing HP's easy rankness. Now that it does poorly, I imagine a lot of abusers will rethink their strategies.

4. 2uesday profile image66

Thanks everyone, it looks like the only way we can help is to keep on Hub Hopping then and make sure we do it properly.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

But why is Wisegeek so high when their articles are so hard to read because of ads?

1. sunforged profile image70

? they were heavily effected in  a negative manner?

n conclusion, Searchmetrics identified some two dozen websites that suffered drops in traffic ranging from 70% to about 98%. The worst hit in terms of percentage was blippr, which fell some 98%; Associated Content, mentioned by Swift, fell by more than 91% while Swift’s other loser, wiseGEEK, dropped about 77%.

http://www.bizmology.com/2011/03/04/goo … an-others/

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I thought they went up

2. Michael Willis profile image67

Oh wow!!! I just went to WiseGEEK for the first time and....it an AD site with a few paragraphs added in between! How in the world have they ever done well? lol

1. 2uesday profile image66
        2uesdayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just took a look and the 'paragraphs'on the page I looked at were nonsense, just the sort of thing I thought they were trying to cut down on.

smile Maybe Google search made a mistake and put its new formula into effect so that it works in reverse.

2. sunforged profile image70

Whats the difference?

100 Best hub: http://hubpages.com/hub/art-of-japanese-gift-wrap
        Wisegeek : http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-furoshiki.htm

equally hard to navigate, same level of content

its an informational query - so its equally abrasive to have products intertwined as it is adsense ads.

I think they both serve their purpose just fine, but it has been pointed quite a few times that wisegeek actually has a stricter editorial control and level of content than most UGC sites .. but it is damn ugly. I wouldnt stick around to read, normally

Wow! And this page rates a 100 on HP?  As a reader I would find all the Ads way too much and quickly leave. If I come upon a page such as this, all I see is a "BUY ME" all over it and no information, even though it may be very informational and well written, but that is hidden behind the Ads!

2. Mutiny92 profile image65
          Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It makes me wonder if part of the algorithm is a density of text compared to ads.  Or length of text uninterrupted by ads.  It probably has nothing to do with "google ads" per se, but rather any ads.  There must be a usability factor for the reader jumping around text like that.

BTW - I like Relache's hub, but it (like many of ours) is definitely sales driven.

Part of that is us inserting sales modules.  Part of that is HP.  Add the two together and there is a decent saturation of "buy me...buy me" surrounding the text.

I have read many of her hubs. She is an excellent writer. I have found many useful as well. I was speaking my take on that type of hub from a reader's point of view.

2. sunforged profile image70

Please dont think I was in anyway putting down the content.

I was just comparing the first "best" hub that wasnt about making money with  one on wisegeek. Pointing out that the content on wisegeek wasnt deserving of the neg rep, but the layout may be.

Something that is important to take note of, is that its not a transactional query. Its not a buy me term - its informational,

"the art of"
            "what is"
            "how to make"  (not buy) but the closest to CI

so both examples are poorly composed for usability. "Sales capsules" make sense in a review , comparison, buy widget now etc .. but sticking them in the face of an information searcher .. not so good and then add all the adsense ads - and a searcher with a checklist would go ..nope this isnt for me without ever even noticing that both are filled with the necessary information. relaches even has videos and links that are very on topic and useful.

All theory aside, It probably does well as it is a "best hub" - it was picked out specifically to be an example of good content on HP.

1. Mutiny92 profile image65
              Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't take it that way at all - It should be interesting to check to see if quantity and layout of ads impact the rankings.

6. 2uesday profile image66

I am finding it harder to get the result I want to read on Google searches, since the changes. It means I am going further down the page for the result, as the top of the first page are relevant or what I am looking for, the subject match but they are not the sources I wanted. Which seems to be the opposite to what they were trying to achieve.

7. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

The Google Slap!

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4726804_f248.jpg

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Brilliant! big_smile

8. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I am sorry Wisegeek has been hit because they are a site I am happy to use when researching. Their content is always factual and written in a succinct manner, once you navigate round the ads.

1. Shil1978 profile image86
      Shil1978posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The content may be well researched, but I have always been put off by the way they mask AdSense ads to make it seem like they are part of the content or navigation. That (for me) is not optimization of AdSense, but just misleading readers. The ads are just so blended in that one thinks they are informational links. It is against AdSense TOS too and have always wondered if they'd be docked for it.

9. 2uesday profile image66

Yes, the 'Google slap' does have a ring to it. smile

I could n't help but think when I read that the panel of people ask to evaluate the search engine results were questioned over them in the way they do eye tests.

So would that be -

you know,like this

"Which do you prefer this or this?" 
       "Which one is brighter/clearer?"
       "Is the line above or below the circle?"

10. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think sometimes the 100 hubs have to do with comments and FB likes. I've noticed that often my highest scored hubs have a lot of comments which is viewer feedback, which may give it more 'authority' although authority really isn't the word I'm looking for..

I just checked out the most recent hub by a prolific hubber who almost always has a 100 and it's not the first time I've noticed these hubs don't always give the information in the hub. They are covered with kontera words and hyperlinks to the point that's it very distracting. After reading the hub, it didn't have the info the hub should have given without clicking on an underlined word. I think it's deceptive.. if I come to the article, I want the info the title/search query implies. This is what makes readers upset with search results.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)