Re-hopping same hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)
  1. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 13 years ago

I hopped some hubs yesterday, praised some, flagged some and simply hopped some. Today, when I started hopping once again, I found I was getting a number of yesterday's hubs coming up again from all three categories. Is this a glitch?

1. Michael Willis profile image66
      Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had this happen several times last week. Maybe the HP filter is catching more of the sub-standard, spammy or T.O.S. violating  hubs before we see them.

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's the weekend wink Probably be perused on Monday when the team gets back to work smile

2. Rising Caren profile image79
    Rising Carenposted 13 years ago

Dunno if it's a glitch but I've experience this as well.

I'll be hopping and maybe 30 MINUTES later I'll see the same hub! I just press the hop button without rerating or anything, but it is a hassle.

Heck, I once saw my own hub! Surely HP wouldn't want people to rate their own material?

3. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

I have noticed something like that before and wondered if it was people re-posting the same hub or a almost identical one.

4. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

I'm guessing but I'm thinking that maybe a hub has to be flagged more than once in order for it to be removed. That's the way it works on most sites.

5. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I was under the impression that the hubs in the hopper simply rotate and its the luck of the draw which ones comes up. I've often seen the same one several times in a single session.
    I'm also pretty sure that flagging a hub will not do anything other than alert the staff to it, and of course they are not on all the time.

6. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

Well, these days when I hop, I probably flag five for every one that's okay. The amount of spam I'm coming across is horrendous!

1. Rising Caren profile image79
      Rising Carenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You'd think with the massive google slap hubpages got, the spam would slow down...

1. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The spammers probably don't stop spamming long enough to read about google slaps!

1. profile image0
          Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's also the marketing ompanies. They've heard that Hub pages is a good place to launch their product. Also, all those people who teach one how to make money on the net, say to sign up to hub pages and write something about their product in a few words.

They are going to go on doing it until HP stops it someway. The bottom line is that none of us have sufficient time to stop the flood. What has to happen is that HP has to put on minimums! They have to say no hubs less than 800 words and that they cannot be specific about one business or product, that there has to be a variety so that there is no bias. Until that happens, spammers are going to keep using hub pages.

1. SimeyC profile image87
            SimeyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just asked a question about whether Hubpages should introduce a minimum word requirement - most of the other sites are doing this! However, I'm not sure if this will work. A spammer can create a 150 word spam article, it doesn't take much to add another 150 words or 300 words of fluff!

What I feel is required is more moderation and that comes down to every user to flag garbage and spam.....

1. profile image0

Simey, with all due respect, I do not have the time to flag the amount of spam that is now on HP. Nor am I paid to do it.  I don't do this for fun. I do it for money. If the money is not forthcoming because the site doesn't provide an adequate platform, like many others, I will simply move on. However, I have confidence that HP will get its head around it.

Also, flagging does not mean that HP is removing it. Someone at HP still has to look at it manually and decide whether it's going to stay or not. The sheer volume of that makes it impossible at this point.

So, I think it's going to have to be automated, and if it's not word count that does it, it's going to have to be something else.

1. SimeyC profile image87
                SimeyCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sophie I understand we all cannot flag every hub out there - but if we all spend ten minutes a day or five minutes or even one minute, we can flag a lot of garbage.

I just flagged about 4 hubs in the last five minutes...

You say that you do Hubpages for money  - then surely it's in your best interest to flag content.

Simply bringing in an arbritary rule that stops short hubs isn't going to stop spammy or garbage hubs, or hubs that go against the TOS.

As an example, recently I have flag some excellent quality hubs that were about gambling - against the TOS, but no restruction would have caught this.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
                  Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Even long before the google slap I tried to take some time to peruse the latest hubs for bad content and spam.  This was before the Hopping feature. 

Unfortunately, I read many posts on the forums by some of the members which stated they never flagged or rated down content.  You might be surprised at who some of them were and their reasons for their lack of ridding the site of such garbage.

I now find my efforts were in vain as HP themselves make it easy for such crap to affect those of us who try to do what's best for the site.  I will continue to be loyal to this site for now and to attempt to eliminate the content which HP allows to hurt this site.  But not for long if HP doesn't quell the admittance of the dreck.

We cannot get away from the fact that the conscientious writers are being punished for the admittance of bad content on the site.  Who is in a position to easily stop this?  smile

2. profile image0

@Simey. Well, if we were all nice to each other, we wouldn't have wars either. And if peole decided not to murder and steal from each other, then maybe we'd live in a better world.

Yes, I'm sure if every hubber flagged four or five scammers a day, and HP took them off, this would be a good thing.

Here are the flaws in your reasoning.

a) The vast majority of hubbers will never do that.
                  b) It's not four or five hubs. It's probably 20 or 30 and growing for every hubber that is willing to do it.So, it's not five minutes.

7. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

There is little hope of cleaning up the mess here until HP decides to require decent content from the new, and some present, writers.    Good luck on that! smile

1. profile image0

@Randy. I agree.

It's no brainer, SA!  I never realized how similar HP was to other sites I have criticized until members gave an example of some obviously detrimental hubs which have been on the site for many years. 

They have millions of views which makes it impossible for staff not to have noticed these hubs.  But you probably won"t hear staff address these hubs, nor why they were knowingly allowed to remain here.  Another no-brainer, of course. 

I will give HP a month to stop allowing junk to be published and will continue to flag and rate.  After the month is over and nothing changes to quell this stuff I would feel like a fool for wasting my time for nothing.  smile

1. profile image0

well, I gave up on flagging. I did it for 30 minutes a day and then realized it wasn't helping much. More to the point.  I noticed an overnight increase about 6 weeks ago.
          Anywway, I'm going to hubcamp this coming Saturday and I'm going to ask about it. I like hub pages. It's got the best group of writers I've ever come across on the web.

I agree with there being some good loyal writers here, Sophia!  I started to attend Hub Camp in Atlanta but now I'm glad I didn't waste my time.  Besides, it coincided with the slap and I'm the type to ask hard questions of the powers-that-be of any business I am associated with.  smile

1. profile image0

I don't think of it as a waste of time. It's only a few hours and I'm sure they're great people. I think, probably, because there was no bjacklash against spammers, it just continued because there appeared to be more important issues to focus on.

Anyway, I'm not going to make a rush decision. I really like HP. However, if I'm on here because I want to earn money and that becomes ineffective, than like others, I have to move on.

Do you think it may have been because they were making too much money from the junk to take it off?  By the way, some of the most telling of these hubs have finally been removed after millions of views over a period of 4 years.  Finally noticed, I suppose!  lol

1. profile image0

Well, spam, etc. is relative. One is n ever going to have a perfect internet. One man's meat is another man's poison.  There's really nothing wrong with spam if it is permitted. It just becomes a problem when it interferes with other things. If it was okay previously, and it wasn't interfering with anything, why remove it?

I don't think one can blame anyone - not even google. It's just that people have to adjust to do what's okay for them.

2. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

yes, the same ones keep showing up...

I am getting annoyed at some very short one paragraph hubs or the all photos hubs.

I like to be some variety such as photos, videos, a beginning,middle and end,,,wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)