Inaccurate DUPLICATE warning

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 13 years ago

This is puzzling to say the least.  One of my hubs, i.e.

Product Review : The Yamaha EF2000is Portable Generator

has been flagged for duplicate content.  Yet ONLY the title, NOT the content, is anything other than 100% original work.  In fact, it's a blow-by-blow account of our personal experience with that model; it's literally impossible that my writing actually duplicated any other page out there.

It's not the "somebody else copied your" copyright heads-up we get when somebody snags our stuff, either.

I didn't put the link in here, this being the Forums, but if anyone has has a clue about this particular bit of weirdness--if you've had it happen, or if an Admin member would be willing to take a "human look" at the page and try to figure it out, I'd be plumb tickled pink.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It may not mean that you've created duplicate content - it may mean someone else has copied you.

Click on the duplicate content message in the hub to read more details. Hubpages usually provides a link to the location of said duplicate content.

If that doesn't help or you want to keep track of people copying your work, I'd recommend using HubDefender, a duplicate content tracker created by Hubpages member Edweirdo.

2. Polly C profile image90
      Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had a duplicate warning on one of my hubs once, and it was stolen and posted on a scraper site. I asked for help in the forum where the problem was solved by another helpful hubber. I managed to get it taken off the site by contacting them.

3. momsponge profile image71
      momspongeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just got the same thing and I created my content as well.  The only thing I did was added a link to a book that I referenced.  Did anyone figure out the problem?

2. Aware1 profile image60
    Aware1posted 13 years ago

If it is only the title that is duplicate, why not just adjust the title and be done with it?

1. Polly C profile image90
      Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not sure that would be the problem, it takes more than just a few words

2. WebbyAvatar profile image58
      WebbyAvatarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not really. The warning will appear only when noticeable amount of the text appears elsewhere on the web.

3. profile image0

No, it's not just the title.  On the page itself, the warning wording stated that "substantial content" was involved.

When others have copied my pages prior to this, the result has been the little "circle c" copyright notice, not the big red "DUPLICATE" entry.  Unless HP changed their protocol....

Not familiar with the term "scraper site". Time for research...when I can find the time!

Thanks for all the quick responses to my query.

I actually don't mind at all if people steal my stuff most of the time.  "Scraper" sounds nasty, though.

1. WryLilt profile image88

Basically a scraper is an automated system that steals content matching certain protocols. Some scrapers are specifically set up to scrape content without writer/copyright details or on sites like Ezine, without the resources box.

4. Aware1 profile image60

I see, I misunderstood.

I will run your article  through copyscape for you and see how many results show with percentage of duplicate... Or you may want to connect with copyscape youself. It is rather reasonable. I use it often when writers submit content to verify.

a second option would be to copy some of the content and run it through a search.

Sorry to here your news.

5. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I don't see your stuff copied anywhere Ghost. Maybe the filter isn't working properly. Tried emailing team?

6. Aware1 profile image60

The ONLY results that show in copyscape is your hub... NOTHING else!

According to copyscape it is the one and only... nothing even similiar at all!

1. brandonhart100 profile image75
      brandonhart100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just had a similar problem with one of my hubs.  I'm wondering if the protocol has changed.

1. Aware1 profile image60
        Aware1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not really sure what could make content that is not anywhere near having any results for copies suddenly show as duplicate here.

If it is not copied that is that!

Copyscape is the best and most thorough that I know of. I have recieved content that had been spun and showed many results.. with varying percentages of copy.

Ghost's hub is the only result in copyscape.. nothing even similiar.

If there are better ways to find copies... than I'd like to know.. I though copyscape was THE place.

7. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I got a duplicate warning once on a Hub that was entirely my own, brand-new content, and it turns out what I had written had used so many of the same words as other web pages on the same topic that the filter got triggered.

Just contact admin for a manual review.

8. profile image0

Haven't tried emailing the team yet; gotta go tackle a local politics battle for the next few hours.  Back late p.m.

Relache, you're making total sense (as usual!).  Now, if I can remember how to contact Admin....

1. dingdong profile image57
      dingdongposted 13 years agoin reply to this

team at hubpages dot com

2. WryLilt profile image88
  9. profile image0

I just emailed Admin (Thanks for the link, WryLit; I really was brain dead.) requesting a manual review as Relache suggested (Thanks, Relache). 

Will pop back here and let everyone know when the problem's been resolve.

Really appreciate all the input, y'all.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Ghost,

Just ran a manual review on the Hub.  Looks like it was duped once upon a time, but is no longer.  Should be all clear now!

10. profile image0

Thanks, Maddie.  Just checked, and it is indeed clear.

11. amalloy profile image69
    amalloyposted 13 years ago

I'm a bit late to the party here, but it looks to me like http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com … p2785.html has included your text on their page as a customer review. You can see it by pressing the "Reviews" tab on that page when it's done loading. It's not visible when you first load the page, which may be why you can't find it on Google.

If they copied this without your knowledge, you may want to ask them to remove it.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)