What's The Future of Our Natural Resources

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (65 posts)
  1. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 15 years ago

I heard a radio program the other day. It reported on a study done on the future of our natural resources. The study results showed, that at the current rate of consumption, along with the population growth forcasts, we will exceed the available resources, by our demand, by the year 2030.
    That means that the human population will be unsustainable!
    How do you see the future, bearing this in mind?
    Better yet, what suggestions do you have to change/solve this dilemma?
    I don't know about you, but my faith is NOT in governments, nor in polititians!
    Heck, look at the current economic dramas we are having. Many experts are saying, there was ample evidence etc. to warn us in time to implement corrective/preventative measures in the early stages, to prevent it. Now they are scrambling to fix it!!!

1. Uriel profile image73
      Urielposted 15 years agoin reply to this

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      i do know that we say that alot, but our ticket out is alternative resources i mean:
      1-Let us more depend on solar energy, hydroelectric rather than completely depend on petroleum! Wind energy can also do the trick!
      i do know that these cost hell of money but is we want life to continue we have to stop worrying about our pockets and start thinking of life and the future generations. I mean the analysts expect a WORLD war in the middle east (for example) and other regions for water and other important resources.
      2- For Pete's sake stop bringing that much kids (family organization). CONSUMPTION increases due to that! You have to know that i am not against having children but these are the facts: We HAVE OVER-population! And we have to think straight for the future and for our future generations if we plan to keep life on earth. We have to face  that earth is over-populated and  family awareness is thus expect.
      3- We have to practice what we preach and help environmentalists in protecting our natural resources!
      4- Let's go green people!
      5- Encourage further studies on alternate natural resources.
      6- recycling and and reuse!

2. RKHenry profile image63
      RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So it's true, we are running out of time.

3. my-success-guru profile image57
      my-success-guruposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I understand your concerns and throughout history we have always found new resources or more effective ways to get at more of the resources we currenly have so I am confident this will continue. Right where I live I believe enough oil was recenly discovered to last for the next 40 years! Plus as you probably know you can't just go by one study. You have to examine several studies and make sure they are reliable sources.

Wishing You
      Health Wealth and Happiness,

Jim

1. Paraglider profile image87
        Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Several studies confirm that our gross consumption is unsustainable. The only ones that say everything's fine are the ones sponsored by energy companies. 40 years is great though - it means that the present generation doesn't have to change its ways. Tough luck, kiddies - your generation can pickup the mess...

2. Uriel profile image73

--------
        Dear Jim, i am pretty glad for you , but if there is one thing we worry about is that no one looks for the future. Trust me once this oil has been discovered, people and authorities will overuse it and it won't last for 13 years. That the thing with us we don't use the resources given to us wisely. I mean we live not thinking of the future generations. Then how are we supposed to keep life going on if we don't make plans for the future. Maybe we won't live to reach 100 or see 2080 but that doesn't mean we shouldn't think for the far away future. The people tend to abuse and yet every time we get another chance we seem to throw it in people's fce

4. lawretta profile image63
      lawrettaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi aka-DJ,  i am sure that as the population multiplies,God will replenish the earth with more resources so don't be scared.

He might on the Religion Forum but I'm not so sure he will on the Science Forum wink

2. Shil1978 profile image87
        Shil1978posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hmm - why are you so sure?? Well, I suppose some people hold this view too!!!

3. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

So - no need to take any responsibility then? Use it up wastefully until it is all gone - god will give us more. lol

2. Paraglider profile image87
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

Continuous growth, meaning consumption growth, is unsustainable. Our best bet is to acquire a taste for desert sand and salt water, because there won't be much else left.

3. Milla Mahno profile image60
    Milla Mahnoposted 15 years ago

Paraglider, this is scary!

Are you always THAT pessimistic? Being just a silly girl I would think things will take care of themselves somehow smile

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Maybe after everyone is dead and gone the Earth itself with fix herself, but not in our lifetime.  smile

Sandra - the Earth is quite safe. So are the cockroaches. It's mostly biggish mammals that we are endangering. Biggish mammals like, tigers, polar bears, oh, and human beings wink

1. profile image0

yeah I know, I thought I covered that.  wink

4. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Sooner or later we are going to run out of stuff to make stuff out of:

http://markpknowles.com/ten-pieces-of-p … dont-need/

It will not just take care of itself. sad

5. Paraglider profile image87

Well, we can continue with our present consumer growth if we can find a second planet. Check out my newest hub http://hubpages.com/hub/good-recession which deals with this, and in particular take a look at the link to the BBC article.

1. Milla Mahno profile image60
      Milla Mahnoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Paraglider, it is a very interesting and thought provoking hub, and I really enjoyed reading the hub itself and comments. I think I agree to it in the most part - except for your bias towards relying on government to fix things. At least I read it this way. I would expect it to be more a grassroot type of thing, you know smile

And you are definitely not THAT pessimistic, I see it now. :*

1. profile image0

There I can agree.  Relying on our governements to do anything is like...well I don't know what it is like cause...well....um....yeah....and...  smile

2. Paraglider profile image87

Thanks Milla - in fact, I am certain that government can't change course substantially. All they know is the consumerist model. Change has to come from the grass roots.

2. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The search is on for that (elusive) second planet. Some preliminary results have narrowes the field to a few possible galaxies. These apparently meet the major fundamental requirements.

That still leaves a HUGE hurdle. Travel. We still haven't gone past the moon. there is talk of a mission to Mars, but that is still a L O N G way off from happening. What about the time to get there first. What about the remaining population?

I said a second planet because our recent consumption growth would take us to 200% of the Earth's sustainable consumption rate in about 20 years from now. I'm not seriously suggesting we're all about to move! smile

My apologies.
          This, however, is a real possibility in some peoples minds.
          Just thought I'd build on that idea.

6. Mark Knowles profile image59

Great hub. A change of values is what is needed, I will link to your hub. We are not the only ones thinking this way and I am slooowly building a network of people who do. Slow going though, because there is not an easy answer.

My current thinking is that the best way to do it is to make it possible to make large amounts of money from "sustainable" business practices. How to achieve that is another question. smile

Thanks Mark. Your appreciation is a valued prize. If you link from a place of yours with a similar message, I'll gladly reciprocate.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

Most of what I write has a similar message smile

Despite whatever URLs I choose and promotional work I may do might suggest. smile

I have added a link from my blog's blogroll and will link next time I write something appropriate.

7. Milla Mahno profile image60

I like the pics on your blog Mark - they are funny smile

As for the plastic things - well, some people find them useful I guess, or what is the point of producing them then? I personally can appreciate  freedom fries holder - I am gonna get one for myself, thanks for your idea.

lol

No - the really funny ones are the people that think they need them smile

1. profile image0

Nice, I totally went to that site.  Left a comment there.  tongue

Damn. I left the electric tennis raquet fly zapper off the list big_smile

2. Milla Mahno profile image60
        Milla Mahnoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Don't tolerate opposing opinions, do you? big_smile

Tell me, why I am funny if I just want something to hold my fries when I have to eat in the car?

Of course I tolerate opposing opinions. You can have whatever opinion you like on anything you like.

I just think it is funny that you think you need a french fries holder for your car. You don't see me arguing that you don't need one do you? If you think you need one, then you think you need one. Clearly nothing I say is going to change your mind.

Feel free to ignore anything I may say, but if you are the sort of person that buys this rubbish, I am going to make fun of you.

Why do I think it is funny? lol If I need to explain, I am not sure it is worth the effort, but I will try.

It is funny on so many levels, but here are a few.

Wanting to buy a plastic french fries holder for your car says a few things about you.

1. You are the sort of person who buys food from junk food drive-throughs. I personally do not buy food from these places, for a number of reasons, most of which are covered in Paraglider's hub. I find the idea of eating food like this funny. Sad also, but mostly funny.

2. You obviously didn't read my post, or you would have known where I stand on the whole idea of wasting our planet's resources and would not have thanked me for suggesting it. It is funny that you said what you said and are now somehow surprised at my reaction. Funny. Sad also, but mostly funny.

3. It suggests that you are too lazy to hold your french fries while you eat them. And the very thought of you looking down to find the little plastic ketchup holder while you are driving along is funny.

4. After a few uses, this piece of plastic will smell very bad, and you will be forced to then remove it and wash it some how.

5. The whole idea of junk food restaurants is so you don't have to clean up the mess, you can just throw the containers away. And you now want to use a plastic container to hold them which will then need cleaning. This is funny.

I am always torn between feeling sorry for people who do think they need a plastic french fries holder for their car, and considering them idiots and arguing with them.

I have now given up either and have decided to just make fun of them instead. So, I will continue to make fun of you. I am sure you can take it smile

The odd thing is, not long ago you asked me to show you THE WAY. Here I am doing so, and you don't like it. Seems you have already decided on YOUR WAY.

Pieces of plastic crap from China.........

8. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

"Pieces of plastic crap" = jobs. The more people there are the more jobs that are needed and the more crap that has to be produced. Voluntary population control is nearly universally condemned. Therefore buying crap is necessary to give people jobs. It would seem that either there must be population control or government control, the latter where people are given their needs even though they don't make crap. The former is not possible. And only catastrophe would produce the latter.

That is my fear.

9. Milla Mahno profile image60

Wow! You made quite a few assumptions about a poor girl, all on the basis of her not wanting to burn her tender skin with a hot freedom fries package! wink

Fine, you dolphin hater, let's go and see if I can rebuke at least some of your assumptions and explain myself satisfactory going by your list, item by item.

Have you ever seen a wooden fry holder? I haven't, and I don't think a metal or paper one has a lower environmental impact than plastic, all things considered.

Wrong assumption. smile I have to admit I did that kind of stuff back when I was a teen just because it felt cool to get your food without leaving your car but I haven't been through a drive-thru for the last 10 or 15 years. Nowadays I park my car, go inside to buy, and then eat outside, often in my car. Please realize that Florida is not France and while you guys have a bistro on every corner, we have a McCrap (yes, of course I DID read your masterpiece smile ) Since my life is fairly mobile, I have to eat somewhere while on the road. I don't really have much choice unless I prepared my lunch at home. McDonald's fries are one of the best choices available believe it or not.  I personally would prefer French crepes for a fast snack but alas!  They don't make them here. smile

Wrong assumption! I obviously did. The point I was trying to make was that not all the people would consider exactly the same items a waste. What you have no use for others can use pretty efficiently. Everyone draws her/his own line and I don't believe you are proposing coming back all the way to stone age tools. You don't have a use for a fries holder, I do - what is sad or funny about that? You probably have a use for a few things I don't need either. Am I supposed to make fun of it? wink

Wrong assumption smile Sure, I am lazy, and don't see anything wrong in it. However, this has nothing to do with the case in question. I know you don't eat freedom fries so you are  kind of ignorant about this process. Let me tell you THE TRUTH. The package gets hot! Real uncomfortably hot to hold it in my hand.  Its odd shape does not allow it to stand on a flat surface. This is the whole reason I got interested in the holder!  Oh, and another wrong assumption - I never eat fries while driving.  Hands get dirty you know, and then the steering wheel and shifter knob get dirty - yikes!

Umm... Well, yes this assumption is dead on!  Do you wash your dishes?  I do. Usually before they start to smell  wink

I actually don't know what the whole idea of junk food restaurants is.  Yours is as good as anybody else's.  I don't really care about ideas here. For me this is a way to get some snacks while on the road - no more, no less. If this is funny, so be it. Oh, and I don't really think about them as "restaurants", cause they are obviously not. smile
    Sure, I can take you making a fun of me, and make some fun of you in return - exactly following THE WAY you showed to me wink

10. Mark Knowles profile image59

lol

If there is one thing I appreciate it is being made fun of in an intelligent fashion. So - thank you smile

But - a couple of points -

McDonalds fries already come in a container. So you are now wasting that paper container and using another container as well. Seems a waste to me. Now, if you are talking about carrying a container around so that you can use that instead of the one they give you the fries in, you might have a point.

I lived in the USA for ten years. I never once ate in a McDonalds, even when I was traveling. And I spent a year on a Harley traveling all over the country. I almost always managed to find a more healthy, tastier alternative. And I met a lot of interesting people that way.

And if you think McDonalds fries are one of the best choices, you need to watch this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD-0-mIisLo

11. Milla Mahno profile image60

Hello Mark,

Sorry I could not reply earlier - told you my life is mobile. I am glad we managed to find some common ground - making fun of you and me - which I definitely will continue, given the chance. smile

The video you linked to does not really get your message across, try this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCfHA7AdjIY&NR=1 And yes, it really prompts me to rethink my choice of McCrap fries, thank you - but they still taste good, damn! Oh, by the way, I am impressed you did not take a bite on freedom fries - of course it was a bite big_smile

And Wow! Spent a year on a Harley travelling all over the US! Mark, I told you I bow to you, this is just one more reason to do this smile

12. Mark Knowles profile image59

lol

Freedom fries?

You have no idea just how funny the rest of the world thought that was lol

If you get the chance to watch that film all the way through, you will never eat at a McCrapalds again......

13. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 15 years ago

It seems that we  humans are going to outgrow this planet at the rate we're going
    and that's why there's such an interest in finding another planet that can support life.
    smile

Too little,too late. By the time we get to send any(one)thing over there, we may all be history right here. On fool with a nuke, and "goobye Irene". big_smile

1. Uriel profile image73

We are doomed if we don't do something about it write now :S:S

2. Uriel profile image73

We are doomed if we don't do something about it write now :S:S

14. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Dave, do you really have an exhaustive list of studies including their sponsor? I would love to know who sponsors other studies too then. smile

No. I just remember reading that most of the climate change studies that say there's no evidence that it's happening are the ones sponsored by special interests.

1. Aya Katz profile image84
        Aya Katzposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dave and Misha, while it's true that special interests tend to back one particular story concerning depletion of resources -- industry has a bias toward expansion while environmentalists have a bias against expansion -- there is one natural resource that we are bound to run out of eventually, if we keep expanding, and that is land.

You didn't know that you can just build more? smile

http://internationalpropertyinvestment.com/wp-content/uploads/Dubai_Palm_Island.jpg

I watched the first Palm island being built. You know that they are committed to dredging the sand from one side and depositing it back on the other side, forever, because they didn't take proper account of the tides in the Gulf.

I know. And "The World" is at least as bad if not worse. They were shocked to discover that the water in the middle is stagnant - because no one did any research on how the water would flow through the breakwaters - they have already had to cut several holes in them and it is still not right.

Have you seen the monstrosity of a golf course - the Tiger Woods? And no one has done any research on the possible effects of importing thousands of fully grown trees and planting them in the desert lol

A friend of mine in Dubai is a tidal engineer. He did some consultancy work on the Palm project but pulled out when they made it clear they didn't want to listen.

The funny thing about the golf courses in the Gulf is that they have to import sand from Wales for the bunkers. Desert sand is too fine. A good line on a CV - the man who sold sand to the desert Arabs...

LOL

I did not know that - do you know where they get it from? That will be a great story. smile

I have been saying for some time that this one can only end in tears. Thank goodness the credit crunch stopped the mile high tower they had planned.

Apart from Wales, I don't know in more detail. The kilometre high building, Burj Dubai, is now wholly owned by Abu Dhabi in exchange for some bail-out money. And they've halted completion so it will stand empty and unfinished for a year as a monument to Dubai's misplaced ambition. There's no love lost between the Shaikhs!

2. Shil1978 profile image87

The Arabs importing sand - now that's funny smile

1. Sufidreamer profile image79
                    Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I am working on a plan to import marble into Greece wink

2. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

as well as most of the studies that say there is an evidence, just sponsored by the opposite special interest... Come on, what's the point of making a point if you can't back it? smile

I could, but life's too short wink

2. Sufidreamer profile image79
          Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Tough call, Misha - you are completely correct. Oil and automobile companies are notorious for sponsoring science to obtain the results that they want.

Many environmental groups are equally as bad - junk science is junk science, whoever pays the bills.

Personally, I believe the following, based upon the research.

1) Global Warming and Climate Change is happening.
          2) The effect that humanity is having upon the process is very unclear - the junk science has muddied the waters.
          3) I do not like Al Gore - wink There is little doubt that a band-wagon is rolling. Green is the new cash-cow.

The problem is that many people use the Al Gore hype to deny that the process is happening - that is throwing the baby out with the bath-water. The planet is in a warming cycle - humanity's influence is a separate and uncertain issue. I would like to see a lot more research upon preparing for the inevitable rise in sea levels - the Dutch are on the case, and they are the experts upon holding back the sea (The designers of Palm Island should have listened).

Having said that, there are many other good reasons for conserving resources and reducing the amount of oil consumption. Economic, as well as environmental. smile

15. Paraglider profile image87

Uriel - you're absolutely right. The best we can hope for is that the current recession will bite deep enough to force an alternative to consumerism. But that's a tough nut to crack when the whole political world is intent on restarting the engine.

1. Shil1978 profile image87

Paraglider, I don't think there's much hope of that happening. This recession isn't going to bite deep, and when the engine starts, countries are going to be gobbling up oil like never before - once again - and you'd have crude prices shooting up like before.

You could be right. I think it's too early to say. Let's wait and see...

2. Uriel profile image73

--------------------------
      well i dont htink it will help.. You can observe these days that when the situation is critical people tend to focus on the most obvious instinct they have: survival. So i don't believe people would put their hands together in order to solve the resources problem due to the recession. I bet, they would start killing each other in order to survive :S:S

There is no 'resources problem due to recession' - the opposite is true - recession lowers demand, so supply is a non-issue.
        But never refer to people as 'they'. People are 'we'. Who are you going to start killing? Neither am I.

1. Uriel profile image73

- I am not saying that we are going to kill people. HELL No! but if we really want to measure things up this happens. For example, we are running out of fuel right? well what do we do? We rage a war against some country and get the fuel. The truth is we didn't learn that we have to share and join our hands with other nations to live and survive. We don't have to start a war, if fact, we can trade (in a way or another). Instead of doing so, for example, we run searching trying to cover our needs regardless to the other brothers we have around the world who are incapable of finding food. And i bet you understand that any place in the world is not equipped with all the resources that we need in life. So, i believe there is a wisdom in that. For example, we don't need to kill our brothers for them, in fact we can collaborate our powers. We need fuel, you need food and wheat for example. The solution is not in raging wars. And we never lived by the code : the survival of the fittest. So why do we live by it now. I asked once a kid about what is your goal in life. She said : i want to survive. i find it hard to live nowadays in this jungle of civilization". So this thought got me wondering, how do we live by fighting our brothers in order to survive. This is not the way we do it. We don't have to fight for fuel water or even land.
          the lesson to be learned is that we have to join hands with all races. I believe we can't live by our survival instincts doing just like animals. there are many lovely stuff to cherish in this world other than trying to survive and to erase our fellow brother from existence. But nowadays, it is really hard to portray this moral to our younger generations. We don't have to live by the instincts like the animals. We can rise above this all. Trust me and all we have to do is to work our problems together peacefully.but sometimes we grow selfish and want to survive alone regardless to our other brothers who are struggling out there. We shouldn't take actions to preserve our resources for a certain group only in fact we should do what is right in order to save the whole planet or humanity not one nation. Yes, we have to wake up and try to do what is right. But first of all we should learn how to look beyond ourselves and learn to do what the situation demands. YEs, i know this is hard to do but we should implant these morals and virtues in our children for they are the future generations and they can help fight corruption and raise awareness by our sides in order to serve the greater good.

What planet are you from exactly?

Unless we all curb our incessant need for "growth" we will eventually end up fighting for resources.

I agree that there should be a better way, but it has been like this forever. And the US is no different. I am assuming you are American?

The US is fighting for oil right now - in Iraq and Afghanistan. The US killed off almost an entire race of people to take their land from them.

I hope the recession bites deep enough for us to rethink our ways, but I am not holding my breath.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)