Apples from WalMart Taste and Smell Funny

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (33 posts)
  1. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

I noticed I no longer care for the taste of apples which have long been a staple of my diet.  Today I took the time to smell my apple and it smells like a musky all suit of clothing.  What is it with apples?  Is there a coating that they are not informing of us?

HELP!  Inquiring minds MUST know.  What am I smelling - more importantly - what am I eating?!

1. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Beef from McDonalds smells funny too. Nasty.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ever since my kids saw that movie Fast Food Nation ,McD'S become M'Poo's in our house, nasty

2. profile image0
      askahealerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I always buy organic apples.  Unfortunately, the one period of time where the local Walmart had organic apples, they were mealy.  For me, almost nothing sold by Walmart should be eaten unless it's the few organic products they carry.  Almost everything has been dipped, sprayed or had ingredients like MSG or high fructose corn syrup added.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I think visiting a nearest farmers market would be a wise thing to do...

1. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately the dipping starts at the farm - so - any apple you might buy out of the narrow 'season' will have been dipped to keep it in good nick.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

IDK, may be the farmers my wife buys apples from do wash them before sale - they taste and smell like apples smile

3. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

When I had a little to do with apples - they were/are commonly 'dipped' in an anti-fungicide that increases their shelf life by months.  The advice on the can is that this can be washed off before eating.  I seem to recall that before this apples were coated with an ultra thin layer of wax, but this may have been the anti-fungus stuff before it was made un-noticeable.

4. recommend1 profile image60

I'm sure they do - and I don't know that the anti-fungus dip is harmful anyway, or if peeling the apple removes the chemical entirely.

Do you know it was common for there to be near 100 different apple varieties of all different tastes and textures before the current bland varieties that grow easier and faster arrived.  My father grew around 20 different varieties (1940's to 1970's) and often talked about especially good varieties that had already dissapeared by that time under commercial pressures.

5. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

Thank you all very much!  I don't like the anti fungus stuff or the wax.  I would pay more for pure apples - you are right - I must make a trip to the apple orchard. 

Oh, this makes me long for fall!

6. Aya Katz profile image82
    Aya Katzposted 13 years ago

Apples from Walmart all look identical. Apples from my trees come in all shapes and sizes. They also have worms. But protein is good for us!

There are many ways of protecting apples from worms, fungus etc - without the need for chemicals.  The whitewash band (or black sticky tar) around the bottom of fruit tree trunks are to stop the wingless moth climbing up to lay the eggs in the first place. Soapy water sprayed onto greenfly drowns them and I can't remember the rest but I am sure they are all hiding online somewhere.

7. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I've never regretted buying organic fruit.  Not once.  Nor do I regret never shopping at Wal-Mart.

Did you know that commercially-produced apples have some of the highest concentrations of pesticides of all fruits produced by Big Agriculture?

8. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

Apples are 4th on the Environmental Working Group's 2010 list of foods to buy organic, or at a local farmers market, where you can ask the farmer if he uses pesticides. It's a list which is updated each year, called the Dirty Dozen. Apples are high in pesticide residue. Celery is #1, #2-peaches #3-strawberries.
    you can download a list to avoid and to buy.
    http://www.foodnews.org/walletguide.php

you can also check theses sites to find out where you can locate farmer's markets/organic produce in your area.
    http://www.eatwellguide.org/i.php?pd=Home
    http://www.localharvest.org/

9. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Why is organic food so much more expensive?

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Organic farmers don't receive government subsidies to reduce the cost of farming and production. Actually organic food probably better reflects the true price of growing food, and it's real food in contrast to some of the junk, which is more like food stuff.

Organic farming is more labor intensive and time consuming.

Those are a couple of reasons I can think of off the top of my head.

The main reason of course is that the whole intensive huge scale chemical farming thing is about cheaper food - not for our benefit, but to make more profit.  And cheaper means MUCH MUCH cheaper, a factor that is not reflected in shop food prices.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes.. nor is the cost of environmental clean up reflected in the cost of cheap food - that is passed on to tax payers.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Thanks Rebekah ,I really confess I didnt relise that about Govt subsides not being available.

Incredible when they are supposed to be behind health and 'the green movement'.
        I understand the First Lady Michelle Obama has an agreement with Walmart to reduce salt and perservatives  in many of their canned foods,while maintaining prices for affordabilty etc ,so thats a positive step.

I know when I was a young mother with three growing sons ,I just could not afford to buy organic ,but we did eventually makes some good changes i.e free range hens, vege garden, fruit trees etc,plus traded with other mums in the neighborhood.

Thanks again for your informative post

10. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 13 years ago

I never shop at cheap supermarkets, and especially not for fruit and vegetables. It's all chemically treated.

11. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

They taste and smell that way for a reason.  God is punishing the USA for electing Obama.

12. rebekahELLE profile image84

lol of course, why didn't LL come and let us know!

13. Woman Of Courage profile image62
    Woman Of Courageposted 13 years ago

Have anyone tried the gala apples in the bags at Walmart? These are the only brand apples I will purchase at Walmart, and they taste delicious to me without any funny smell.

GALA apples were developed for factory style farming and are likely to be among the most pesticide and fungicide contaminated apples you can buy. 

I seem to recall they were cross-bred or 'modified' to be especially resistant to specific deseases that are mostly only a problem when grown in huge quantities all the same.

Cauliflowers, and the white broccoli that look like cauiflower had the same problem - grown as the only crop on hundreds of acres of vast treeless and hedgeless fields in Thanet England an occasional desease, caulifower mosaic I believe it is called, obliterated the whole crop one season - never happened again thanks to chemicals, but increased the chemicals on cauliflowers for the consumer.

I find that so disgusting ,all that pesticide!!

Who decided that was ok for our health?

So irresponsible

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who gives subsidies? Answer this one, and you will answer your own one big_smile

Guess the other question now for me is,

What is the role of the F.D.A, and are they not accountable to the people, ie decisions they make regarding food standards etc?

If its all about greed and $$'s,Im mad!!

Protest ,grrr,damn

2. recommend1 profile image60

The label on the can for the apple preservative dip that I looked over (and passed on buying) when I was responsible for storing several tons of apples of about fifteen different varieties was  Monsanto

2. Woman Of Courage profile image62
        Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing. I notice the other apples in Walmart has no flavor at all. It's awful how harmful pesticides are sprayed on the fruits. I have never purchased organic foods yet. It's very expensive.

14. rebekahELLE profile image84

Eaglekiwi, it's quite a hot topic and there's much the everyday consumer doesn't know or realize about our food, and where this farm subsidy money really goes. Most of our food is produced by huge multi-national, agri-business corporations. I'm sure you've also heard of Monsanto? If not, it gets kind of alarming when you start reading about who has all the money.
    a couple links:
    http://www.ewg.org/farmsubsidies
    http://subversify.com/2011/01/14/why-ag … s-farmers/

Fantastic links!
      Wow, I will definately be spending some time reading up and sending some info on.

Im just gobsmacked!

15. recommend1 profile image60

Interesting chat with my Chinese half - she points out that our washing up liquid is labelled as being the recommended cleaner for fruit and vegetables to remove pesticide residues and preservatives from the skins of the fruit. Now I know why the wash liquid seems to have no smells or colours put into it smile

I also realise that most Chinese friends peel all their fruit.

I confess I buy the wash liquid that smells the best,so Im probably not going to wash my food with it ,hehe.

I  grew up being taught that all the natural vitamins were just under the skin,in fact we were not expected to waste much of the fruit at all, but I guess that was then and not now.

Even if we grow our own fruit n vegies ,the soil is probably filled with contaminates.
      There is truth afterall in the saying:

We reap what we sow sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)