Polygamy

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (50 posts)
  1. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

I've been watching a TV show called 'Sister Wives' and think I just might be happy in the role as one of the wives.  I think!  Do you have any opinion on this?

1. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds exciting until the reality sets in. I'm sure you will be disappointed.

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aren't you a mormon? wink

1. profile image0

Yeah, so?

1. Misha profile image62

I would expect a mormon to defend it, hence my surprise. smile

1. profile image0

Nah, the way I see it, unless it's sanctioned by God it isn't gonna work.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd be cool with it as long as their cycles were not synchronized.

3. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 13 years ago

I think whatever suits you is the best for you. smile

4. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Having more than one wife is a selfish act. wink

lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

So?  Really, if everyone is happy, then what's the problem?

1. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can a selfish person truly be happy? wink

Okay Casgil, how do you define happiness?

Forget I said anything. It would be a complete waste of time and effort. wink

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
                Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh so like a man lol

Exactly!

2. Cagsil profile image71

Actually, why would I want to discuss the underlying discussion of happiness, in this thread, when this thread is not about that. wink

Again, as I said- Can a selfish person truly be happy? Which is in another thread already running, if you care to search for it.

Look up- Can a Selfish Person Love?

But, thank you for your biased input toward men.

Youre most welcome smile

And I was teasing.

Men are lovely,boys in mens bodies really ..hehe

2. lorlie6 profile image73

Cags, I don't know whether to laugh or be insulted. smile

Do you think I would insult you Lorlie? hmm If so, then so be it, you'll believe what you want regardless. hmm

2. saleheensblog profile image60
          saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No problem, but is it really possible? Islam allows polygamy if every wife is treated equally otherwise not.

5. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Yes, I'm watching too. I don't know. They seem happy together. And I understand why it seems good to you. The emotional support, help, sense of community. But I like the intimacy of me and my husband and no one else. Somehow I think you would lose that with so many others.

6. stclairjack profile image77
      stclairjackposted 13 years ago

most men i know cant keep the one happy,... how on earth could he endure the nagging of 3?..... and most women i know dont share and play well with others,... in that sence,... why cant i have 3-5 husbands?

Oh, come on!  'Nagging' is a personal trait, not a trait shared by all women.  3-5 husbands sounds like fun!

I havent seen the programme (what channel is it on?)
          Curious what the hubbys like though, I mean is he the kind of guy that you wouldnt mind sharing ,or the kind you wouldnt miss anyway lol

It's on 'TLC.'  I think that's The Learning Channel.

2. stclairjack profile image77
          stclairjackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

nagging is in perception,... asking where the skillsaw is might be contrued as nagging if he's the one that left it on the job site and lost it as the last 3 he lost,.. go figure,... had to give him credit the last time though,.. he answered,.. "at the hardware where you're gona buy it tomorow"

2. Misha profile image62

I think Aya Katz has an interesting hub on that smile

7. smalika profile image60
      smalikaposted 13 years ago

I have been thinking about writing a hub on polygamy and polyandry, polygamy is the need of today as there are far more women in the world than men. How can we expect each woman to have one husband when there are not enough men in the world but i do agree with stclairjack, that keeping multiple women happy is a mammoth task. Polyandry is against the laws of the nature, it is cruel and there are no means other than a DNA test to verify which kid is whose??

1. stclairjack profile image77

in 10 years or so it will be the need in china as the ration of women to men will be wildly out of whack.

polyandry that is.

1. smalika profile image60
            smalikaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ahem,,,, I would love this to be backed with some good data,, in south east asia we have had almost equal men and women, reason being the rampant female foeticide.  I don't see this practice in China, they had taken some extreme measures to curb population growth, but still this does not explain the ratio you mentioned,,,,,, considering what you're saying is correct; the world as a whole would still be in the need of polygamy.

There is no need for polygamy. wink

1. Misha profile image62

Actually, if we want to stop the population exponential growth, there is a need in polyandry smile

roll

Cagsil;;there is a need, if people would prefer to keep their relations to one partner which would work wonders to stop the exponential growth of AIDs and other sexually transmitted diseases and single parents.. men certainly do not understand the mindset of women,, women want security and life long partnership.
                    Misha;; why do you want so many women to go without husbands? wink lol

2. Misha profile image62

I would rather have polyandry than WWIII. Though looks like most people choose differently...

I do agree with Cagsil that there should be no compulsion for men to have more than one wife hence the "need" should not be taken in this context. Any one who wants to, can afford and do justice with their wives should be allowed to. Polygamy is a solution for all the women who are trying in vain to find a husband, as is the situation in the west.
                      Misha: smile I would definitely not choose world war 3... thank God there is no such choice; lol

2. saleheensblog profile image60
                saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

48% Men- 52% women in Bangladesh. What will the 4% do?? I don't want them to do naughty things. lol I am not going to take their responsibility though

2. stclairjack profile image77

http://www.euthanasia.com/china-ra.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5953508

the ration of boys to girls born right now is said to 120 to 100,... women will become a traded comodity, more so than they already are.. when the 20 men left behind are lonely

if you watch the over seas adoption stories, you wont see them adopting little boys from china, only girls,... they are abandoning thier daughters in droves because of the one child pollicy,... and thats when they arent resorting to sex selective abortion or infanticide.

oh yea, forgot to say that a surpluss of girls on one continant does not balance the defficet on another,... on loine dating is hot, but i dont think match.com will fix this.

aha so there is selective sex abortion in China as well..... why are in favor of correcting one wrong with another,, they have created unnatural unfavorable circumstances for themselves because of which they will suffer and eventually will try to correct the situation by letting nature take its course,, the natural ratio is 'women more than men'. Even when the odds of female and male child are the same more girls are born than boys,, moreover men tend to die early and suffer from more diseases because they are genetically weaker.

men are geneticaly weaker? ok, i'll bite, give me a link for that assertion.

2. Ivorwen profile image65
                Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

From what I have read, the ratio of boys to girls born has been steady for a long time, however, by adulthood, the ratio is 51 women for ever 49 men in the world.

More boys die in infancy due to health problems and more boys die in accidents (4 and 14 being two critical ages).  Plus, how many Darwin awards go to women?

i guess my point was that a world wide average has about as much meaning to chinas particular situation as the average income in america means to me,... apples and oranges.

china is just now starting to impliment monetary incentives to get the culture to value the daughter, but its too late for a whole generation there.

gota say, you are spot on, dont see too many female winners of the darwin awards! ha!

1. Ivorwen profile image65

You are right about China. From what I have read, the lack of females is already critical in some rural areas.  I have read that there are entire villages with no girls, and in other areas parents are arranging marriages between cousins, which is producing very unhealthy children.

I think it is really sad, and definitely too late for this generation.

its shocking for me to see a culture wich has a long history of placing a very high value on the family, now courupting the dynamic for no other reason than economics.
                      the one child policy was meant to hasten economic growth, and its debatable if thats been any help at all to chinas explosion,... more accurately atributued to the greed and consumption of the west than to population controll in china.
                      chinese girls are being adopted by those in the states, its an awfull thing to watch china give away its genetic future for a few pieces of silver,...

they say that china is the monster of the future,... no monster who fails to reproduce can be very fearsome for very long.

2. Pente profile image78
        Penteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought most polyandry was practiced in the past with brothers that couldn't afford a wife. They would pool their money and buy one wife to share between them.
        Any children born would either be half their DNA or a quarter of their DNA, so either way they would still have a genetic investment in them.

yeah I watched a documentary on Natgeo about this practice, what exactly does a quarter of DNA mean?? the child is born of two parents and two kinds of DNA??

meaning "my brothers genes are 1/2 the same as mine, and i will value all children in the relationship as my daughters and sons or my nieces and nephews,... all are my family"....

its a concept that evolved in more matriarchal soc.as found in some pacific island cultures and in sitiuations as pente describes

2. Ivorwen profile image65

And then there is 'Paint Your Wagon'.  wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)