What do you think of the polygamy in the show Sisterwives?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (25 posts)
  1. brittvan22 profile image75
    brittvan22posted 11 years ago

What do you think of the polygamy in the show Sisterwives?

Polygamy has its origins since the dawn of time. There is a show on TLC called Sisterwives, where polygamist Kodee is married to four women with each new season a wife seems to be pregnant. They appeared on Anderson Cooper and he asked what if the roles were reversed. The women seemed appauled by the mere mention. What do you think?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6891449_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

I personally think polygamy is wrong. A marriage should be between one Man and one Woman. Plus, How in the world do these Women not get VERY jealous?

brittvan22posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, but whatever floats your boat. They say they get jealous, but its their duty to overcome it. Like its a test of faith.

2. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. But, It's definitely not for me. smile

3. brittvan22 profile image75

Me either seems a bit greedy, I really don't buy deep sisterly bond, because if one of my friends was with my husband we would not be getting closer, but we'd have issues for sure.

3. nmdonders profile image71
    nmdondersposted 11 years ago

I don't know if it's right or wrong, that's not really for me to judge.  I think it's strange and I could never live like that.  From the parts of the show I have seen it seems like they all get along like one big happy family.  I wonder what the kids are learning from it though and how they are growing up in a home where dad is always on the run visiting with his other kids.

I understand your position and he tries to divide his time evenly (as if thats possible). I was just shocked that they were not even a little open about a woman doing the same as Kodee.

4. innerspin profile image88
    innerspinposted 11 years ago

It's not my idea of a great way to live, but after seeing an episode of the show, this family do seem to thrive. I guess if a woman had more than one husband, they couldn't be sure who fathered any children.

True, but that means there is a double standard in play.  Then it makes me question the equality in the relationship and if its even plausible.

5. yssubramanyam profile image61
    yssubramanyamposted 11 years ago

one woman married by more men is polygamy. it is just fake idea. it is narrated in maha bharatha ,very famous mythological story. good hub.

I'm going to have to check that out. Thanks for your input, love to learn new things, it sparks creativity.

6. profile image58
    atheistchickposted 11 years ago

Polygamy is not a good thing. I disagree with it entirely. A test of faith huh? Really brittvan22? And JThomp42, marriage is between two individuals. Man-Woman, man-man and woman-woman. I fully support gay rights, because unlike so many of my fellow Americans I believe in the equality of love. I myself am straight, but I see no wrong in being gay or bisexual. I haven't lost my sense of humanity. Shame on those who have and decide to judge and criticize others. Shame on you! Didn't Christ said we should love and respect each other "Judge not so ye be not judged" Christ said in the Beatitudes. Anyone who believes in Christ should follow ALL his teachings, not cherry-pick the Bible verses to read and follow. I'm ashamed of my fellow man who can't see goodness and worth in everyone due to their sexual orientation. It's sad

Thats what the women said of their union when it comes to jealousy. I have no issues with gays my issue is polygamy.  I don't understand how they can show instant disguise at a polygamous woman have several husband when the only difference is gender.

2. profile image58
      atheistchickposted 11 years agoin reply to this

you know, according to the Mormon faith, in the afterlife, the righteous men gets planets and infinent celestial sex with MANY females...their motive to perform well on earth...its so disgusting. WHy can't one man have one wife or husband?

7. Daughter Of Maat profile image93
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

I love this show. I find the concept fascinating. Polygamy is definitely not for me, there's just something gross about sleeping with different partners and I think it's ulitmately a license to cheat. But the concept is nothing new. The anciet Egyptian pharaohs had a chief wife and then several "lesser" wives and children by all of them. If anything, monogamy is the new concept. You've got to give the wives credit, women are jealous by nature (and hormones) and the fact that they are able to overcome it and be a family is fascinating. These are some very strong-minded women!

As for the children, if you watch the show you can see what the older kids think of it. Most of the females find polygamy to be fine for their families but usually say they won't practice it when they get older. I find that fascinating as well. They prefer monogamy, something they've never experienced. You've got to wonder why they would chose that way of life over something they've grown up with.

Again, polygamy is not for me, I'm a one man woman. But I'm also not going to stand in the way of someone who wants to practice it. If that's what they believe, and all the adults are consenting, it makes no difference to me. To each his own.

But I love the show for the psychological aspect.

I agree with you 200% i often think of how tormented I would be knowing my husband is with someone else it has to play with their self-esteem. I'm really have seen a handful of episodes.

2. Daughter Of Maat profile image93
      Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I watched the 1st and 2nd seasons on Netflix. I had to watch it when hubby wasn't home lol. You could tell the wives weren't very confident. They recently moved to Nevada and now live in 4 different houses, which has had a huge impact on the dynamics

3. brittvan22 profile image75

Lol. I bet it  does. Especially now he has to house hop. Smh. What I found interesting was one wife wanted to carry a baby for another that said she was jealous of her at one point.

4. Daughter Of Maat profile image93

I'm thinkin the house hopping doesn't help with the jealousy, but at least the other wives can't hear anything... Why is overcoming jealousy a test of faith for the women? How is Kody's faith tested? By sleeping with multiple women? I don't get it

5. brittvan22 profile image75

Me either, it makes no sense to put yourself through that kind of unnecessary torment, but i gues its what they chose. His hardest test is oh did i give that wife her 25%.

6. Daughter Of Maat profile image93

lol so true. I went and watched a couple episodes again and the wives said this lifestyle assures their never lonely. I couldn't handle that. I need my alone time!

8. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

I have not seen the show but look at his face - at least he's happy, I can't speak for the ladies standing behind him like second class citizens.  I do not believe polygamy is right.  What is amazing is that I thought polygamy was illegal and here we have a show celebrating it.

Duffmom I bet he is and it is illegal. I think they are, but don't know it. They willing signed on for the lifestyle.

9. profile image0
    LikaMarieposted 11 years ago

I don't watch TV much, and this one isn't one that I would consider.  On the other hand, I wouldn't support a show that I didn't believe in.  Thing is, polyandry is legal in some faiths, such as Hinduism Buddhism.

Anyway, I think the act of having multiple spouses is sexist against that gender, and I think polygamy is for those men who really think that they need to spread their seed, so being selfish.

Sometimes I think it would be nice to have multiple men service me like a queen, but, then of course sex doesn't equal marriage, so I wouldn't need a license for that.  I really don't think that people in general were meant to be able to love enough to have multiple spouses.

Of course there's always an exception, and then those who weren't meant to be married...  So maybe polygamy is just convenient for those who can't settle with one.  Just because the women accept the lifestyle, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are happy.  How many monogamous couples marry and stay with each other even if they're not happy (even if abused)?

You have a point about staying inspite of being unhappy. I think that may be the case with the character Mary (1st wife) she only has one child. Very insightful!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)