Are we really alone?

Jump to Last Post 1-45 of 45 discussions (145 posts)
  1. PFrutuosa profile image60
    PFrutuosaposted 13 years ago

I would love to know your opinion about the existence of intelligent life in the cosmos. I really belive we´re not alone but some of my friends joke with me because of that.
    Do you belive or not belive? And why?

1. michael's son profile image61
      michael's sonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Honestly i think it would be very cocky of the human race to say that in this endless universe of trillions of galaxies we are the only "intelligent life" that exists. Besides, were not so intelligent ourselves lol

1. profile image52
        markoweposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know how it could seem cocky. But look at the other side of the coin - wouldn't it be just mindblowing if we WERE literally the only intelligent life in all of that unimaginably vast universe? That WOULD make us pretty special, but I would be more humbled than cocky, I think!

Also, intelligent life is only a foregone conclusion if you believe in the spontaneous appearance of life, like via the evolution model. If you believe in some other model, like that of God, there is no problem at all believing we are alone, and no cockiness either, far from it!

PFrutuosaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But do you think there is conditions in other planets to have beings like us?

1. profile image52
            markoweposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good question - don't know what you think, but there is a pretty amazing set of circumstances that have come together to create the conditions for life on Earth. And because the life on Earth also contributes to these conditions (e.g. by producing oxygen etc.) then we are talking about an incredibly complex system. All in all I think Earthlike planets could be VERY unusual - in fact, with no life on Earth there would be no Earth and vice-versa, so maybe Earth is the ONLY such planet. People kind of point to the numbers and say there are trillions of stars, surely statistically there MUST be planets like ours. Well, again, there is weight in sheer numbers, but what if Earth really IS unique for some reason that we do not yet know. The numbers might mean nothing.

2. profile image0
        Edliraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@ Michael's son: Good point :-)... always had the same idea regarding this question. Why should it be just the human race the priviliged one to inhabit a plaxe in space. And as for intelligence... ehhhhh.lol, only time and God can tell how many stupid mistakes we have made.

2. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

PF:
      Our universe is about 14 billions years old.
      Life on planet earth has been here about 4 billion yrs.
      In that length of time, we "intelligent" creatures have only advanced this far?
      What makes you think that other life in "OUR" universe (and I'm sure there is)  is any more advanced than we?
      The possibility does exist that it could be, but why would their ability to travel the vastness of just "OUR" galaxy i.e. approx 100k light yrs across (1 light yr = 6 trillion earth miles) be any greater than ours?
      Maybe life beyond "OUR" universe, much older than "we," have conquered space and time and can do it.
      I doubt that you or I will ever know.
      Qwark

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
        couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

True, that.  Who's to say that somewhere out there, beyond our scope of vision/technology, there is not another ideal situation, perhaps not for humans but for another life form, one which perishes outside a vacuum, or one which thrives on the absence of atmospheric pressure.  Ok, I have no clue really, about quantum physics or anything close to the study of the universe and all of its awesome complexities, but whose to say?

3. profile image58
      henryearllposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, I don't think so. I believe that there is life on other planets too outside this galaxy.   
      http://zetaclearsite.net/

4. orchidmyst profile image56
      orchidmystposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes I believe, read my posting..

5. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If the Creator-God could create us; He can create other forms of life in the Universe.

2. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

I doubt that we are alone. With all those planets and galaxies out there, how could we be?

I agree with you...
      But do you think there is intelligent life or just life?

1. Jaymeyaroch profile image60
        Jaymeyarochposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who says any life isn't intelligent?

What is intelligence?  If it involves communication and problem solving and a progression away from ancestral roots, I'd say we've none of it here.

If it's not here, why would it be anywhere else?

2. tom_caton profile image80
        tom_catonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

where there is life I'm sure theres the potential for intelligent life, if you can believe that there were only microbes here on earth in the beginning...

I guess if we found somewhere that had just started seeing plant life in the last million years or so, we could leave the planet for a few (maybe a few hundred) million years, return and find intelligent (to whatever degree) life existed there.

Just have to find something to do, other than thumb twiddling, while we waited...

Oh I know! Strip the planet of it's resources and fly away laughing maniacally! MWAHAHAHAHAAA

1. couturepopcafe profile image61

Oh, so that's how you spell Mwahahahaaha

1. tom_caton profile image80
            tom_catonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In the most Dr. Evil way possible, yes!

3. couturepopcafe profile image61

Paisano - define intelligent life.

3. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

As I understand the maths - it is pretty certain we are not alone - but the distances between any possible intelligent life make it physically impossible to meet, ever. Even radio etc is likely to take so long to get there and back that even if a someone out there did reply - the time lag would be in the order of tens of thousands of years maybe.

But if it exists and if it´s intelligent too, some must be more advanced than us technologically... Why they do not contact us?

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you were really really advanced, would you contact us?
        For me, I would only contact us because I really wanted this planet and the resources it has. Not for the conversation, thats for sure!
        I am this highly advanced being, no malicious intent to invade and conquer, eat, or enslave. I come to this here planet and I am probably going to be asked over and over again if I have found Jesus yet? Have I accepted him as my personal savior. Me an advanced being of alien origin, would not likely be above good christian saving. No I don't imagine I would choose earth as my top holiday spot! Gosh, what would happen to me if I didn't become a good alien christian/muslim? From history it seems reasonable to expect being burnt at the stake or stoned to death (not the good fun kind of stoned either!)

1. lightning john profile image59
          lightning johnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Right on Kirston! I would like a ticket myself to a place where the stupid to smart ratio is a little better.

2. PFrutuosa profile image60

smile probably not...
          But we must have some interesting things too, even for them.
          Are you trying to say that if we had something they really want they would come to steal it from us? or conquer it?

Sadly, the arguments I have heard have all suggested that an alien race that is advanced enough to travel space and come to earth would do so for very few reasons, mostly to do with resources. Good chance they exhausted their planets resources getting out into space in the first instance and are now traveling looking for a new home or new resources. I think its Hawkings that says, we don't want aliens visiting us!

1. peterxdunn profile image60
              peterxdunnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just because we cannot imagine that crossing the vast interstellar distances will, one day, be possible doesn't mean that it actually is impossible. People once thought that heavier than air flight would be, forever, impossible. Just because we don't know of a way - doesn't mean that there isn't a way.

Furthemore why would ET need our resources? We know that there are huge asteroids out there composed of almost pure iron - what else might be out there? Then there is nuclear fusion. We are, at present, developing fusion reactors that will transmutate hydrogen into helium: actually transform one element into another, in other words pure alchemy. When we've learn how to do this will it stop there? No, eventually we will learn how to transmutate base metals into gold. ET probably learnt this trick several million years ago.

ET doesn't need anything we possess.

1. qwark profile image59

Peter:
                Maybe ET does. He may not be any more evolved than we.
                In geologic time, we (et's) should all be about the same age.
                Qwark

Most astrophysicists think that the majority of stars in the Miky Way Galaxy are older than our Sun - a lot older. Ergo they will have planets orbiting them that are a lot older than the Earth. Planetary scientists - almost to a man - openly state that, if there is intelligent life out there, it will be millions of years more advanced than we are. We are, most definitely, the new kids on the block.

1. qwark profile image59

Peter:
                    As I said, the possibility exists.
                    Even if WE could exist another millon yrs, why do you think, after 4 billion years of evolution on this planet that life would be that much more advanced than we beyond us?
                    I understand what you said, and I agree that what you offer could be.
                    Qwark

2. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Again, as I understand the maths - the stars we see in the sky are the few that are closest to us and they are hundreds of thousands of light years away - light being the fastest thing I think?.  This means that if 'someone' out there heard the radio racket we send out every day they would get the first messages (say) 100, 000 years later and we could expect the reply in the year 2002,000.  Especially if you remember that we only invented this stuff in the last 250 years.

The physics that we understand so far would seem to prevent us travelling faster than the speed of light - so if they 'popped over' for a chat we can also expect them around the year 2002,000.  If faster than light ever happens it would still have to be much much faster than light to shrink the time from place to place to within any meaningful communication time lag.

Of course there could already be life out there that have been on the way here for a few hundred thousand years - whether they would consider us 'intelligent life' is open to question.

The nearst star to our solar system is Alpha Centauri: it is four and half light years away. Radio and TV signals (also radio waves) have been propagating outward from planet Earth for about 120 years - to date they will have reached hundreds of star systems. Using the Drake Equation there is at least 100 million planets within the Miky Way Galaxy capable of supporting complex life. They are out there and they know that we are here.

I will go even further and say that I know that they are here and - what is more - I know how they got here. I have set out my stall on this issue elsewhere.

The evidence that Planet Earth is being visited - probably even monitored -by extraterrestrial intelligences is mounting all the time. If you think me a whacko for saying this - go ahead - just remember that as categories go airline pilots constitute a rather large one in the UFO reporting field (though most of them wait until retirement before going public). An increasing number of former astronauts are going public too.

Try googling these phrases. Westar six satellite capture. The Disclosure Project. Story Musgrove (former astronaut). Moon Tower of Babel.

There is tons of stuff out there - much of which is fake I know - to explore and assess.

1. profile image0

I don't think you are a whacko at all as it is all quite possible, I even leave room for the 'possibility' that there is some kind of god thingy out there playing snooker with the Universe.

I do think most ofh te alien stuff is wishful thinking and the modern equivalent of ghostly phenomenon, this mostly dissapeared with electric lighting banishing those flickery shadowy corners to be replaced with techno-effects of various kinds that could be anything when enowed with wishful thinking.

On balance I would say alien life visiting us is a significant percentage of possibility, compared to an insignificant percentage for a god figure.

If they are out there watching us - I wonder just how stupid they think we are as the most prominent politicians are the most obvious in the 'waves' we send out - if they think we are all like Bush we are done for !

I totally agree with the idea that politician's aren't representative of an average person's outlook or intellect. Moreover - I should imagine that a passing extraterrestrial wouldn't even bother asking a politician for directions to the nearest petrol station: given the fact that politicians have a pathological aversion to giving a straightforward answer to a straightforward question.

4. know one profile image61
    know oneposted 13 years ago

As long as I continue to see stars in the sky, whether through my own eyes or through those of a telescope, I have no choice but to believe life, as I understand it, exists elsewhere in the cosmos. How intelligent? That's anyone's guess until the evidence of it is set before us.

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The statistical chance of us being the only life form in the Universe is less than zero. It might not be life as we conceive it, but it will be life.

1. profile image0
        luabuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

probably true sohia
        we want to know so that we can start our crusade to meet them
        lets leave well enough alone
        there is a good argument for alien intervention in  history
        i don't believe it but i'm far from sure
        jesus seems like someone from the future/like a time traveller/that seems wierdly possible /i don't know

5. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I do think we need to get out there if we want to stand a chance of making peaceful contact. Who knows but any peaceful race we would want to make contact with probably has some prime directive instructing them not to meddle in the affairs of less advanced races smile

1. know one profile image61
      know oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If they're anything like us they'll be itching to colonise us, institute a new rule of law, and seize anything of value for their own purposes.  I wonder if they will like our chocolate, coffee, and tea?

While I totally agree, I do wonder if they are anything like us are they really advanced enough to master space travel? I am not sure we are advanced enough to not kill ourselves off completely hmm
        Let alone make it out of our solar system.

True smile. But maybe a long departed and smarter indigenous race (currently sightseeing the universe via the time-space-continuum) left a special instruction book behind for them. Like a super-advanced Leggo Technics set for ages 144-523.  Perhaps they'll be smart enough to follow instructions if not invent the thing.

I think we're going to survive the human race - only in very small numbers. I hope its the genetically clever that survive... we'll need them to put the place back in order.

That would be really nice, us making it through to a more advanced state smile And that there might be races out there who would be really cool to hang with too, fun to think about thats for sure. smile

Yeah, I'm reasonably optimistic on both counts - advancing and having fun!  A change in the direction of fashion would be good too... too much retro on this planet smile

2. Pandoras Box profile image59
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would be concerned for any peaceful alien race we encountered.

6. PFrutuosa profile image60
    PFrutuosaposted 13 years ago

We must be wise following the path of unknown. Of course, nobody wants to find violent races but they can be there and it´s a risk we must take. But we live in an endless Universe so we must consider the chance that "they" don´t know we´re here! I think there are races we shall avoid but I belive there are friendly intelligent races out there and "they" feel the same desire than us to meet others. I do not think that curiosity is a characteristic only of humans beings. smile

7. Jaymeyaroch profile image60
    Jaymeyarochposted 13 years ago

If we are alone, it sure is a galactic waste of space out there.

What makes us believe we are so special that we could be unique in the universe?

Are the odds the same as when I ask myself if I'm the only person alive who believes in proper English?

My only answer is I hope not, but the proof is staggering.

8. lightning john profile image59
    lightning johnposted 13 years ago

There were over 400 scientists and Air Force, and Navy officers that have came forward  for the disclosure of them witnessing other life forms in space and on earth.

9. wearing well profile image74
    wearing wellposted 13 years ago

Just maybe God chose the Planet Earth for our Heaven and hence the reason for Jesus Christ to deliver us from all things evil;so that Earth wouldn't become Planet Hell(only being philosophical as I am currently experiencing a mid life crisis!)
    Maybe the cosmos is a mass of spiritual life(Are Angels  Aliens?);hence everlasting life and eternity.Everything is made up of matter or energy.I would love to know the ultimate truth about creation and the reason for being here;maybe we'll receive the answers when we are finally at peace with God.Let's make the most of our lives whilst we've still got a planet to live on and without worrying too much about what the universe might hold smile

1. profile image0

Sorry to be the one to tell you - but the sky is not teeming with spiritual life - that is why christianity locked Galileo away until he died - he improved the telescope and looked up there - no angels.  I know this is only 500 + years late gettin gto you but there it is - sorry, you will have to manage that mid-life crisis on your own and only the support of us ever-loving hubbers smile

1. wearing well profile image74
        wearing wellposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK china man, but some people would strongly disagree.You don't have to see to experience spiritual comfort!One of the reasons' I'm having a crisis is that this world seems to have gone mad!
        Only philosophising china man smile
        I also have buddhist beliefs too!
        I shall do my best in knowing that at least there is always a hub to cry on here at HubPages and take comfort in knowing that I have managed mentally alone for most of my life  smile
        P.S.So what do you truly believe ?

1. profile image0

You are quite right - you don't have to see to have spiritual comfort - it is all in the mind and spirituality works fine just the same.  Which is kind of the point really, as long as we realise there is no 'real' god and angels out there and all the stories are metaphors somebody has made for the things we think about - then there is little harm done.

1. wearing well profile image74
            wearing wellposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely especially if you believe in scientology;you haven't answered my question china man !
            I agree God doesn't have to be an image or a body in the physical dimension.As for angels your speaking to one right now ha ha

10. BillyDRitchie profile image61
    BillyDRitchieposted 13 years ago

Well, I am a Christian and yes I do believe there is life elsewhere.  I get reamed for that position a lot because the Bible is silent on the subject.

I figure if there is and we need to know about it, then we'll eventually find out.

But yes, the idea that we are the only ones in such a vast and endless and incredible universe is just a tad on the arrogant side....

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And God sending his only son to save us on the planet that was made for us is not arrogant? lol

1. What's News profile image64
        What's Newsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No. This is not arrogant Mark. What about this makes you feel that it is arrogant. It was a way for God to show us that he is real and we can trust that our sins are covered. Jesus was a calm and loving man from what we know in the Bible.

If it were an act of arrogance Jesus would have been loud, boisterous and coveting. God had shown no arrogance by allowing Jesus to walking among us. Jesus was sent here to save us from ourselves not as form of God flexing his power.

Now to answer the topic of the post. I do believe that there are other life forms of life out there. If you take the size of our galaxy alone it would take 90,000 to 100,000 years traveling at the speed of light to cross it.

Now that we know that it is estimated that there are hundreds of billions of galaxies in the universe. So to think that among all of those billions of galaxies there is no other forms of life out there just seems crazy to me and is a TRUE form of arrogance.

lol

Way to miss the point.

11. Merlin Fraser profile image60
    Merlin Fraserposted 13 years ago

I honestly believe the fact that we have not been contacted by any alien life forms proves conclusively that the Universe teams with intellegent life !

12. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Yes.

13. What's News profile image64
    What's Newsposted 13 years ago

Mark you are lost. I pray for you.

LOLO

14. What's News profile image64

I have read so many post by you trying to prove that God does not exist. Are you this diligent in everything that you do?

Yes.

I pity you and hope you learn the error of your sad, sad ways. sad

But good luck persuading your Invisible Super Being to make me think the way you do. wink

15. What's News profile image64

Why pity me? Where have I errored and what are the consequences?

Look in the mirror. wink

16. What's News profile image64

What has happened to you that makes you so angry with the thought of the existance of a higher power? What do you believe in exactly? You have to have some sort of belief system.

What makes you think I am angry? I believe in the Star Goat - of course. Dear me.

Why are you so angry that I do not believe the nonsense you shovel into your head?

17. What's News profile image64

What is wrong about believing in something? Finding a purpose in life that is bigger than ourselves?

Really? What is your purpose in life?

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The highest purpose you could possible rationalize within reality is to have a purpose that benefits humanity, and not some imagined god.

There isn't a need for a higher power to gain a purpose in life. The meaning and purpose of each person's life is to be solely determined by them, but based on what is knowable, possible, probable and rational.

Anything else is meaningless. smile

18. What's News profile image64

I am not angry Mark. I love you, you are my brother. Instead of being angry with you I worry for you. I am not trying to say that I am above you. I myself may not make it into heaven but I have recently decided that it can't hurt for me to try. I just want to see you there if we make it.

Nonsense - you do not even know me. I have no interest in going to heaven, thanks. Off hand I cannot think of anything worse. Eternity with you crowing about how righteous you are? No thanks. Give me the lake of fire any day. sad

19. What's News profile image64

Honestly I haven't found a true purpose for my life but I believe in time God will show me what it is and he will help me complete this purpose that he has for me.

1. Cagsil profile image70

So I guess free thinking for yourself is out of the question? hmm

20. What's News profile image64

Yes of course I think for myself but you know when you are truly making a difference and when what you are doing is in vain.

Awareness, Clarity and Wisdom are awesome when used properly. wink

21. What's News profile image64

It is not impossible for anyone to love everyone. We have the choice to hate and I choose to love and only dislike. As for claiming that I am righteous I am not assuming that I am any better than you are. I know I have my faults and shortcomings.

22. What's News profile image64

I don't have to know everyone to love them. I only have to know that they are human beings like myself. None of us are without fault and we all strive to be loved by someone.

23. Detective L profile image60
    Detective Lposted 13 years ago

Considering the exact placement that a planet must be away from a star.   And the star must be at equal condition to our sun.  And that a planet must have atmosphere-like barrier.  It would be impossible to have some alien friends out there.  Maybe we should stick to to people who are illegally migrating.  They are called aliens too. hehe

1. Me, Steve Walters profile image78
      Me, Steve Waltersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well said, Detective!

2. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is a region around a star called the "Habitable Zone" in which a planet can maintain water and hence can be favorable for sustaining life. smile

Well...that would be the same "Habitable Zone" that the Earth pretty much falls into...right? Thats pretty much a given.

1. Beelzedad profile image59

True, and it is a fairly large region  which means a large number of planetary bodies around any given star could sustain water and life. Of course, scientists agree it is likely on few might have lifeforms that have evolved any sort of intelligence. The vast majority probably contain only microbes or bacteria. smile

Beelzedad, You make a Good point. Statistically...what would it take to have all the proper elements, proper distancing, proper atmosphere, etc. to support life! I don't know myself...but I believe that statistically speaking...it's a long shot! lol

Considering that life exists a mile down in the Mariana Trench as a result of underwater volcanic "chimneys" it doesn't take a lot of elements to sustain life. I suspect the statistics are quite high for life in general and low for intelligent life. smile

24. What's News profile image64

I know that there are christians out there that make people think that they are not as good as them. I have no answer as to why they think they are better than anyone. They should instead try to understand someone elses stance on religion and respect them for their convictions.

You should try to convert through actions not by force or anger this will get you no where fast. You can't forcefully change someones mind. You show them how you act and what you believe and leave the rest up to God.

Leaving anything up to an imagined "God" isn't an option. hmm

25. What's News profile image64

You can leave it up to God but when faced with it I think this is how it should be handled.

Again, an imagined "God" is exactly that...imagined.

I mean, seriously, if you don't know what "imagined" means, then by all accounts, please look it up.

26. What's News profile image64

After all it is going to be between that person and God as to how they continue their journey with him.

Irrelevant.

27. What's News profile image64

I refer to him as I see him and that as a real being. So, again I will say God.

Real? Look up the word.

28. What's News profile image64

Cagsil why are you so angry?

Ha...*snorts soda pop out through nose*..."Ow!"

Interesting you get anger from the things that I said. I suggest you look deeper into yourself before you make irrational statements, such as "why are you so angry?". Your assumption is based on a complete lack of knowledge on me or what was said.

You assume because someone doesn't believe in a god or believe a god exists, then they must be angry.

A perfect example of how skewed thinking of the religious can be seen. Thank you for showing your true colors.

I stated that you were angry because of how you kept making comments like

Trying to insult me by attacking my level of intelligence. I mention God as an actually being and you come completely unglued. I never got angry. Anyone can go back and see that in fact your comments seem to be that of an angry and confused person. If I did indeed make you angry I am truly sorry those were never my intentions. wink

Maybe you should not look at it as attacking your level of intelligence and actually re-read the definitions known to humans. I wasn't attacking your level of intelligence, I was pointing out your lack of comprehension.
          Unglued? You must be seeing things. I want you to point out your imagined "God"? If it's real. Something that is real is real. When you stick the word "real" into a sentence- it has boundaries. Got it?
          Good you weren't supposed to.
          So, now you're telling me I am confused that your "God" is imagined. I find that ironic, considering the source.
          Nice try. I don't get angry with irrational statements, I only address them.

29. princess g profile image60
    princess gposted 13 years ago

I think it's very likely there's intelligent life somewhere in the universe. Probably not here, though

1. Druid Dude profile image61
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Evidence has been hidden in plain sight which definitively demonstrates that we have never been alone. It is strewn across the face of our planet, and written everywhere you can possibly look. All that is lacking is your understanding of that evidence. It is truly astounding.

1. seanorjohn profile image71
        seanorjohnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i think you missed Princessa's point. She meant there was a lack of intelligent life "here" on this forum.

2. princess g profile image60
        princess gposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ummmm..it was a joke. aimed at human intelligence. anyway, i've never seen ONE peice of evidence of aliens visiting the Earth. PROVE it:)

30. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years ago

Dropped by to give my thoughts on life in the cosmos. Should have known there was a religious debate going.

Anyway... I definitly believe there's life out there. There is absolutely no reason why there couldn't be.

1. Merlin Fraser profile image60
      Merlin Fraserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's not really a religious debate it's just the usual Gang playing "It Tis So !"   "Tis Not !"

Tiresome I know but it keeps them off the streets and away from sharp objects.

I think I mentioned it earlier on but for me the proof that there is intellegent life out there is that they steer well clear of this planet...

1. lightning john profile image59
        lightning johnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So true

31. arb profile image76
    arbposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure whether there is intelligent life, here on earth, sufficient enough to determine the answer to your question, indeed whether intelligent life exist anywhere has yet to be determined. Just watched congress and another Social Security debate on C Span and can only conclude that intelligence life can now be verified as extinct. Evidently, it was tried, found unprofitable and returned to where ever it came from.

1. Merlin Fraser profile image60

I think if you look at and listen to any committee on any subject I think this will prove your theory beyond all reasonable doubt.

32. pennyofheaven profile image80
    pennyofheavenposted 13 years ago

I am still wondering what intelligent life means in the context of this thread?

33. What's News profile image64

It was clear that you were angry anyone can see that.

You see hostility? I cannot imagine how. I questioned your ability to use words and the restrained definition of said words.

You seem to re-write them, to suit what you believe. How nice of you? hmm

34. What's News profile image64

It's funny that people get angry over something they don't even believe in. It would seem to me that they would just ignore the topic altogether.

You have 29758 posts and I would be willing to bet that 29,000 of them are conversations you have had with people about God.

How Christian of you. It's always a pleasure to see a True Christian at work. You've just reduced yourself, to almost no value. That's a shame.

You resort to picking on the number of posts I've made and then claim that almost 90% of them were made within the religious forums.

You would be wrong, but what else is new. On the other hand, it's been a pleasure learning from you and about you. Much appreciated.

Man, that is an age old trick, Cagsil...and weak point. C'mon, I thought you were smarter then that. You don't get to be Judge and Jury-Prosecution and Defense at the same time. And you don't get to referee Christians...if you don't claim to be one. You already demonstrated that we ain't on the same page...so how you going to place a judgement call on any Christian.

It's ironic you find anger? Unbelievable. I am correcting the usage of words you've elected to use to form your sentences.
      Irrational statements need to be address at the time they are spoken. Otherwise, an opportunity to learn is lost. wink

3. Woman Of Courage profile image60
      Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What's news, I agree with your responses.

roll

35. What's News profile image64

My words need no corrections. Grammer and capitalization were all in place.

Your words usage needed correcting. If you're unable to grasp why? Then admit that.

It is simple to see that when you place "God" and "Real" or even "Being" in the same sentence, then you've err.

It's obvious. Yet, you seem to not realize it. Hmmm....? hmm

36. melpor profile image91
    melporposted 13 years ago

After reading the book "The Grand Design" I am more convinced we are alone. The book clearly states we are here by a random series of events that started about 14 billion years ago. As the book mentioned to illustrate the point of randomness, if the weights of the protons, neutrons, and electrons in the atoms were different from the values that they are now we would not be here and the elements such as hydrogen, helium and the other heavier elements would not have formed to create stars. Gravity itself would have a different value. If all those were changed this universe would not have formed or would be entirely different from what it is now. If there is life in other parts of the universe they would have to be made of the same elements as we are, their world would have to be the right distant from the star it is orbiting in order for life to survive, and life on that world would have to progress through a similar form of evolution and the end result of that evolution process must create a living organism with intelligence. As you can see in our case we are the only living organism on earth that is capable of looking around and asking ourselves the question "Are we alone? So the possibility of finding or even communicating with another intelligent life form in the universe is extremely remote.

37. lightning john profile image59
    lightning johnposted 13 years ago

I have seen four starcraft, 3 at night and one in clear daylight. These objects were very large moving extremely fast. But I do not blame anyone for doubting. I used to make fun of people that had seen these U.F.A.s too, that is until I saw them myself.  Where do you think all of our new technology comes from, a bunch of guys sitting around smoking weed at college.

38. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

Okay, I wasn't going to post in this forum originally, but I have to say this, as I can't help but wonder about something that I can't seem to wrap my head around for a minute.  What does the possible existence of aliens have to do with the possible existence of god?  Seriously, these both entirely different subject matters that has nothing to do with the other.  Yet, I see many of you arguing and turning this into a religious argument about god.  I'm sorry. Wasn't this about whether or not YOU believe there was such a thing as aliens, then you were supposed to state why or why not? 

Second of all, to all you guys sayings aliens don't exist on the basis of god's unconfirmed existence, then all I have to ask you people is what do those two subjects have to do with the other?  I'll tell you what they have in common....NOTHING!  The debate whether aliens and/or god exist are two different subject matters.  The question of god is a matter of faith.  You believe in one or you don't. It's that simple. Nobody is putting a gun to your head to believe in god, so it's your choice to follow one.  Now before any of you smart asses get on me about how in other countries and past history they force religion down other people's throats, I would like to point out that I'm aware of that fact.  However, is anyone pointing a gun at YOUR HEAD, and telling YOU to believe in a god that you don't believe in?  Hmmm?  If there is, then I apologize to you completely.  If not and your just stating facts of what other people had to go through, then that's great if the complaint came from them directly.  From you?  It means about as much as dog crap on the street. 

Aliens, are a definitive possibility as Spock,from Star Trek, would say:  "It would be extremely arrogant for humanity to assume they're the only intelligent species in the galaxy."  Your telling me that out of the billions and billions of solar systems and planets, we're the only life out there?  Is that truly what you want to believe?  Gee, I guess those jerks at NASA don't know what the heck they're talking about when they talk about the possibility of life on other planets, huh?  I didn't realize we had a forum full of rocket scientists here.

Look, I respect anyone's opinion here, but I will say this.  Stop trying to turn this into a religious argument, as the speculation of aliens and god are two different subjects all together.  It's apples and oranges.  No comparison.

1. profile image0

The comparison is because IF there are aliens out there then a whole raft of god stuff becomes clearly nonsense even to the sheeple who baaandy their silly words about here.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah I see.  Well I don't know if I necessarily agree with that logic, but that does make sense on how this topic diverted from aliens to religion rather quickly.  Thanks China for clearing that up.

1. Diane Inside profile image73
          Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile

1. profile image0

hi diane, hows it going? long time no see.

It's good how are doing, really.

1. profile image0

I'm doing okay I guess.  Just been busy.  It turns out I qualify for the written exam for the job i told you about that i was applying for.  hopefully, if i pass it, then all i have to worry about is the physical test.  other than that, im good.  what have you been up to lately?

edit:  by the way, it's good seeing you again, Diane. I know forums hasn't been the same without you here.  smile

You'll pass, I know you will.  I have been trying to get accustomed to being on the road , I have not had much opportunity to get online but tonight I happen to be able to take advantage of free wifi, lol.

Its something else, I don't know if I will ever get used to it. Or if I want to. lol

1. profile image0

thanks diane. I appreciate the vote of confidence then.  That always means a lot to me coming from such a lovely lady like yourself. wink 

So hows life on the road treating you though?  The roads aren't too bad where you are, are they?  I know some roads around this time of year can be slippery, so be careful. I hate to see anything happen to you.

2. Merlin Fraser profile image60

If you were to pay attention you would notice that the God Squad invade any Forum where they think they can sneak in the odd "Let's Hear It For God," quote or three.

Personally I find it extremely amusing, ironic if you will, that some of the worst offenders chose this Forum topic about Intelligent Life for their latest attack.  Makes me wonder who they are trying so desperately to convince that God exists.... those of us who could care less one way or the other or, as I suspect, themselves by their own one track mentality which apparently needs constant massaging and reassurance from their own kind !

2. PFrutuosa profile image60

Thankx... I wouln´t say better!!
      This is not about religion... this´s about science and supositions!

39. thirdmillenium profile image62
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

I did have an occasion on these pages to say this only some months ago:
    There are at least 100,000 planets in our galaxy alone. When it is Carl Sagan who had said this, you have to sit up and think

40. Lady Rose profile image74
    Lady Roseposted 13 years ago

Go to bed guys.

41. etower036 profile image60
    etower036posted 13 years ago

I once read that intelligence is measured according to it's own intelligence, in other words...

A fly for 5 days is intelligent because it can think and reason, while it is alive. In order for a fly to judge the distance as it is flying in the air, to reason it needs to slow down enough to land on the wall and not splatter itself on it.

Humans are intelligent because we can think, and reason so to dose every living creature on the face of this earth. If it can think even on instinct, it is intelligence at work.

So now we come back to the original question...

ARE WE REALLY ALONE?

No we are not alone in the universe. There is life on other planets, its life, but not as we know it. Take creatures in the sea. There are creatures which have adapted through years and years that have allowed them to swim and survive miles and miles under the sea. Some with no light from the sun, with water pressure that could crush a man with in seconds. But it is life. So we can say yes there is life on other planets, we do not know yet if there is life on mars cause we have not seen anything, but it could exist under the ground where it can survive. It may not be like humans, it may not even look human-like, but no we as humans are not alone.

"Jim, I'm a cook not a scientist...."

42. The_Watchman profile image59
    The_Watchmanposted 13 years ago

I should first say that there is such number of people in this world and mostly the youngsters who are curious about the unknown. Now for the main subject of this discussion, we all are believers of what we see and we can feel as that is what is taught to us by the evolution and progress of SCIENCE. But have we given a thought to the fact that we know only a minuscule in the huge spectrum of science. To understand my point better, I can explain to you with the example of a light bulb, the place which is lit by the bulb is the place we can see but the areas which are not lit by the bulb we cannot see. In a similar way, science has a limited area of teaching and knowledge and the area which has not been touched by science is still unknown to man and has to be explored and studied. The idea of aliens, ghosts and such other paranormal beings do exist in this Universe of ours since the spectrum of science which we know has not reached far enough. It is only through certain circumstances that we come in contact with these paranormal beings.This is for all those who think that we are the only person to be existnt

Excluding aliens, science understands that the paranormal violates the physical laws of the universe, hence they cannot possibly exist in reality. smile

1. Alastar Packer profile image71
        Alastar Packerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Beel, is there a disconnect between the dictionary's and science? The dictionary's state it plainly:what can not be explained scientifically,is by definition, paranormal.

Would you agree Beel, that if a person in the woods was suddenly confronted by, say a unknown entity and said entity pinched their nose, boxed their ears and slapped them across the face, that the person should seek a cat scan and physiologic evaluation immediately?

What definition do you refer? That certainly isn't a definition of science that I've ever seen.

What entity are you talking about? Please explain.

Its a hypothetical question, not to be taken literally Beel, but if you don't answer those its o.k. by me.The question meant if a person claimed such,would this be the proper course to take for said person,or would you recommend another? smile

Oh,as to the first,will just have to assume from your answer that Webster's dictionary and relativist science are out of tune with each other. smile

No idea, there really isn't much information to go on.

But, I didn't answer other than I had not heard of that definition before and can only assume it was made up as there is no match for 'relativist science' that I could find in any dictionary. smile

2. The_Watchman profile image59
        The_Watchmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Beel, there is a thin line that differentiates conventional science and paranormal science. I do agree to the fact that paranormal science does defy and violate all the possible laws in science, I guess that is why it is known as paranormal science meaning something which is not normal. The word ghost is a synonym for the Latin word SPIRITUS meaning BREATH. The reason why most people see or say the saw ghosts in the form of mist or apparitions is due to this fact. If you are to check the analogy and classification of ghosts, then you would be surprised to know the fact that you would not find ghosts except a few who try to scare or do scare the living.

There's no such thing as "paranormal science" - it is called 'pseudoscience'.

"Paranormal science" is merely a term made up by kooks and cranks who pretend to do science.

I think you a referring to souls, which also have never been shown to exist. Of course, "breath" is something quite real in terms of the physical, but has nothing to do with souls or spirits. Mostly, that is just the ignorance of the past.

Or, they're just making it up because they believe in that nonsense.

lol

43. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 13 years ago

Definitely we will be alone .

44. Alastar Packer profile image71
    Alastar Packerposted 13 years ago

Ditto khmohsin.

1. The_Watchman profile image59
      The_Watchmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Alaster and khmohsin I guess you guys should check out the latest findings by NASA which states that there is water found in the moon and if there is water found there exists life. In a similar way, there was life found in the Mariana Trench which is the deepest point in this world, again it is a place where there is no sunlight but life exists which means there are life organisms unknown to us which exists in this world or around our Earth unknown to us.........

Watchman, I am in agreement with your comment;was presuming previous comment, although appearing off thread, to be alluding  to a certain crisis going on at the moment.Don't know...perhaps I was being presumptuous assuming that..it was like 4 in the morn or roundabout.

45. Alastar Packer profile image71
    Alastar Packerposted 13 years ago

Great Einstein's Ghost Beel ! Have some mercy on a lesser I.Q. Hopefully you'll be pleased to know I actually agree with you on a few subjects. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)