Non-compliant, not substandard

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (50 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

I recall a thread where it was suggested HubPages use the word "non-compliant" instead of "substandard" in their email when a Hub is unpublished.

I think that idea was adopted?

I'd love to see the word "substandard" banished altogether from HubPages and replaced with the word "non-compliant" (or "not in compliance" if you prefer).  And that means all of us Hubbers making an effort to stop using the word, too.

There's been a whole furore recently on the forum because a Hubber asked when poetry was "substandard", and some poets (wrongly) read that to mean poetry was regarded as low quality.  If the OP asked when poetry was non-compliant, we would have had a different conversation.

It's upsetting enough for Hubbers to find their work unpublished, without being told it's "substandard".  So let's please lose that word!

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

great point

2. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Voted up smile

2. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

While I'm not generally a fan of PC language, this one seems good to me as well.  Without the correct understanding of "substandard" (which most don't have) it carries a high negative connotation and is not very descriptive.

Non-compliant is much more descriptive and easier on the hubber.

1. livewithrichard profile image71
      livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Ign Andy profile image56
      Ign Andyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

+2  smile
      substandard is relative while compliance is absolute.

3. RedElf profile image89
      RedElfposted 13 years agoin reply to this

+ my vote too

3. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I agree with this too. Substandard suggests below par, not good enough, which isn't how it is meant here. Non-compliant is perfect.

1. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not wishing to complicate things, but aren't there actually two different categories?

There are hubs that are great/fine but non-compliant to HP

But there are some hubs that are frankly substandard, because they are short, spammy gibberish?

Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we are talking about two different categories, and in an ideal world HubPages would send two different messages.

However, the current system uses the same word for both - and it's not just HubPages emails, it's Hubbers here on the forums.  Given that we use the same word for both, it needs to be a word that applies to both!

Right now, the word substandard applies to the spammy gibberish literally, but it doesn't apply to the non-compliant Hubs literally.  I'm not talking about being politically correct, I'm talking about using a more accurate word.

4. Mutiny92 profile image65
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

smart idea!

5. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Huge thumbs up.

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I'll own up to making the suggestion that non-compliant was a better adjective to use. Even if a hub is dismal, there's no need on our part to be mean spirited. Non-complaint works in all instances - whatever the intention of the hubber. In the off chance that the spam was just misguided, it saves feelings.

1. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, especially if they, as most of us are, learning, trying and striving. I'm sure that the majority of hubbers are genuine in what they are trying to do, whether it is creative writing or sales hubs or providing information.

But coming in off a hub hopping session, I do think that there are some cynical, calculated users out there gaming the system for a fast buck and who really don't care about the HP community or the mess they leave behind

7. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I should say I also never liked the phrase "Quality Hub." In that instance I prefer compliant hub. We have necessary rules here that should be met for the good of the community. I have no idea of what a Quality Hub is. For some it means using videos and pictures, for others it's the grammar. For others it means no products. Others keep comparing it to the Flagship Hub program. Too subjective to be useful.

1. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, Nelle. Some people do genuinely care about quality in their work and undermining that care is a great disservice to the site.

Bland euphemisms don't always cut it.

Of course, you could open a debate on what constitutes quality.

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm actually quite tired of the nasty tones of the forums lately the relish that people are taking in using hurtful tones - and I have no need or desire to continue it.

The bland euphemisms are juster kinder words. But kinds words are not the words that many forum insiders like to use.

Whatever HP central wants to call them is fine.

1. Will Apse profile image88
          Will Apseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I only just noticed this shriek of indignation.

Which would you prefer a site where people cared about quality. Or a site where people grudgingly agreed to comply to a minimum standard of acceptable, compliant content?

8. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 13 years ago

We are working at creating more moderation categories, but point taken.

Please keep in mind, though, that if we change it to "non-compliant" there will be accusations that we've chosen a cold, soulless word. wink

How would you rather be seen - cold and soulless or downright mean?  Because that's how people react to the word "substandard".

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
        Jason Menayanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, neither; I was being facetious (well, a little). My point is that most people will be offended that their Hub was taken down no matter what you call it. And some will object to the term "non-compliant".

But, as I said before, we're reforming the moderation categories. Stay tuned.

2. camlo profile image84
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If a Hub of mine were taken down for being 'non-compliant', I would interpret the term used to mean my Hub does not comply with HubPages' rules. Therefore, and with no hard feelings, I'd alter it in order that it does comply. If anything, I'd be annoyed with myself for not having paid closer attention to Hubages' stipulations.
      On the other hand, if my Hub were deemed 'substandard', I'd take it to mean  'below an established or required standard' rather than simply 'nonstandard'. This would obviously cause some pretty negative feelings as well as uncertainty (they think my writing is utter rubbish - what do I need to do to improve, and can I?).
      I don't see anything 'cold, soulless' in 'non-compliant'. To me, it seems kinder and clearer.

Thank you, Camlo, that's exactly what I was trying to say.

9. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I'm just wondering what the reaction would be if the poor hub reviewer just had a Friday moment and said exactly what they thought of the sub st..., sorry non compliant, nonsense that they are forced to read in some kind of literary hell.

Dear Chancer,

your page was the worst kind of spammy moronic pointless garbage,

get lost.

...would be one that I would enjoy sending.  Although not so much receiving obviously.

As a side note someone commented on one of my earlier hubs today and I read it back thinking what the hell is this rubbish - why wasn't it flagged.

It might at least have got me to raise the bar a bit.

10. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

As Jason said, we are (and more specifically, I am) working on updating the moderation messaging to be more specific and easy to understand.  I'm happy to change the word "substandard" out for something else, but I'm not sure "non-compliant" is specific enough.  Overly promotional Hubs are non-compliant.  Adult Hubs are non-compliant.

What it looks like right now is that going forward "substandard" will be applied to such problems as poor formatting, insufficient length, broken links, and poor spelling or grammar that interferes with the readability/credibility of the Hub.  If anyone can think of another word to sum those issues up, I'd be happy to hear it.

1. camlo profile image84

'Textual Inadequacy' springs to mind, or just 'Text Issue'. I'll keep thinking ...

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol Textual inadequacy

1. camlo profile image84

I said I'd keep thinking. smile

2. lakeerieartists profile image63
      lakeerieartistsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maddie maybe just change the wording to say that "this hub does not meet our publishing standards for grammar", or whatever.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
        Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Definitely, we just need a short-hand term for display as warnings, and as the title of the moderation email.

1. lakeerieartists profile image63

Well the only remotely decent term I can find on thesaurus.com is "insufficient" or "incomplete"

3. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not one word, but two: "Quality issues," "quality concerns," or even "quality problems."

These are terms often used in critique, because they have a softer and less judgmental tone to them, leading in a more constructive direction. Like meeting the author in the middle. This is mostly about psyschology, anyway. I, for one, don't mind "substandard" at all.

4. Marisa Wright profile image85

Maddie, why does it matter if it's not specific enough?  "Substandard" is already covering a range of unconnected problems.

Think of it from a newbie's perspective.  You get an email saying you're 'substandard'.  If I said that to you outside HubPages, you'd understand it as 'you're not good enough for the likes of us'.   

If the writing is awful, then fair enough.  But if it's just errors made by a novice on a Hub that's otherwise well written, you could be sending people away with their tail between their legs, who could have been valued Hubbers.

Even experienced Hubbers react badly to the word.  Look at the recent thread on poetry where Ralwus took umbrage and left. I read through the posts and honestly couldn't see anything he could take offence at - apart from the repeated question of whether poetry was "substandard". 

I started this thread as much to ask fellow Hubbers to stop using the word, as much as the HubPages team.

1. camlo profile image84

Yes. It might not have happened had we discussed whether the length of many poetry Hubs be 'compliant'.

11. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

How about, "This Hub's gotta go.  If you can't figure out why and/or if you get your feelings hurt over this, so do you!"  lol   (Only put in a big, mean-face, emoticon with the message. )

12. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

I don't think there is a word that sums up poor formatting, insufficient length, broken links, and poor spelling or grammar all at once.
    Just one word?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

See, it's tricky!

13. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

How about "sub-par"? tongue

14. Kangaroo_Jase profile image76
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

I must be the only one around happy with the word 'substandard'. Why?

Because I don't always straight away have an emotional response to being advised my work does not reach a certain criteria or specific measure of standards.

If a certain standard of writing needs to be achieved not just here but elsewhere that one may write, it is usually not always because of poor grammar, or copied work (one's own work) or similar activity, but it is something that does not adhere or reach 'a standard' plainly set out in the TOS and/or user agreement of a site.

Non compliant has almost nothing to do with bad spelling or poor grammar.

Also something to ponder is the word or terms used to report information to a user may or may not come from a legal dept as well (internal or 3rd party).

Case in point because of occasional rogue spelling or structuring a sentence that I am informed is incorrect in grammatical usage prompts me to most often change it with many articles I produce on Ezine Articles, I often re-write said article 10 to 15 times BEFORE it becomes accepted for publication on their site.

A rule breaker does not always constitute a deal breaker.

15. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I personally don't have an issue with "substandard", just for the record. Then again, I don't have psychological issues or self esteem, or self confidence issues either. lol

16. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

Here are some alternatives to 'substandard':

unacceptable, imperfect, shoddy, second-rate, inadequate, inferior

Apart from 'inadequate', I think 'substandard' is the better option for these issues.

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I doubt that calling hubs "inadequate" will contribute to boosting certain people's self-confidence.

1. camlo profile image84

Well ... yes.

It's probably worse than 'substandard', but maybe not quite as bad as some of those others I found. smile

I, personally, like 'shoddy'. smile

1. lakeerieartists profile image63

Yes, from the lists of words I looked at, substandard was the best of the lot.

17. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I had a girlfriend call me "inadequate" before. I'd hate to be called that again! hmm big_smile

18. KristenGrace profile image61
    KristenGraceposted 13 years ago

Figured I would offer up my support for the change as well - I am personally not a fan of "substandard."

19. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Back in school it was "Needs Improvement".

20. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 13 years ago

I agree.
    Sub-standard kind of sounds like saying "Your writing sucks."
    Non-compliant sounds more like, "You're not quite following the rules."

Exactly.  That's the point I'm making.

Sometimes when you work somewhere, you get so used to the jargon you forget what it sounds like to new arrivals.

Substandard says "your writing sucks".  No wonder people get upset by it!

21. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I like noncompliant.  It's a neutral term whereas substandard involves subjective appraisal.  I don't think people would like it much if Google judged HubPages as substandard.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)