Should a 7 year old be issued with a shotgun license? (UK)

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    wilbury4posted 13 years ago

It has been revealed that some children under 10 years old in the UK now possess shotgun licenses, in my opinion some 10 year olds aren't safe with a pencil!
    Although the UK has one of the toughest gun laws, there is no minimum age requirement to possess a shotgun license.
    I personally have a very strong opinion that this is ridiculous.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this
    2. superwags profile image66
      superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree that kids shouldn't be allowed shotgun licences at that age, and should be subject to extremely strict control from say, 16.

But the BBC reported that it was only 13 kids under the age of 10. I'm not sure this constitutes "many" from a population of 61 million!

3. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ridiculous isn't even a word used to describe a 10 year old with a shotgun license.

Absurd is the closest word I could assign to it. yikes

4. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I don't know if i would feel too safe knowing a freaking 7 yr old is holding a gun.  if anything, that makes me very nervous to quite honest.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah but your cat has a gun......

1. profile image0

what are you talking about woman? I am that cat in the picture.  lol wink lol

lol
            want some nip? big_smile

You might wind up like this tho hmm

http://image.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=12028.0;attach=1862;image

1. profile image0

umm...no thanks then.  can i sit on your lap and you can scratch behind my ears. would that be okay? big_smile tongue lol

5. tritrain profile image70
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No. 

A 12 year old, maybe.

A 7 year old maybe could shoot a 22 or pellet gun, after completing a gun safety class.

2. simeonvisser profile image68
    simeonvisserposted 13 years ago

Totally ridiculous and absurd of course.

3. NateSean profile image66
    NateSeanposted 13 years ago

Now, the following response is based on the radically dangerous assumption that this scenario is unlikely.

Cute British kid with an adorable Cockney Accent: May I have a shot gun license, sir?

Lisence official: Awwww, what a sweet little bugger. 'Ere you go. (Hands license over)

I know this is not the case, since only Americans fall for adorable cockeny accents. (Seriously, a British kid soundlike Daphne Moon could get away with murder in this country)

So, going with that assumption, I can say this. In order to get the license, one probably has to go through a very similar testing process that we go through here in the US. That means that the people holding the licenses are probably legally responsible people and would not just go shooting someone.

Since this is a case of a ten year-old boy holding a shotgun lisence and not actually holding the shotgun that would necessitate it, I say go ahead. Because now I can feel safer knowing that this ten year-old boy has responsibly studied hard and taken the tests that are required to obtain this lisence.

Considering how many unlisenced kids get ahold of guns and blow their own brains out, I have to say that I would sleep a little better knowing that they had lisences as well. Because typically kids take responsibility for partaking in, what to them must seem like such an adult privielge, very seriously.

4. simeonvisser profile image68
    simeonvisserposted 13 years ago

Yes, of course they have to undergo tests but for all other things we have minimum ages. For driving in cars, for drinking, for cigarettes but a gun does not have a minimum age?

Furthermore, if a kid does use a gun to kill someone, he'll be out of prison in a few years / months due to being a minor. Carrying a gun is a big responsibility and I'm not sure the average 10 year old, even after tests and exams, should be given that responsibility.

1. NateSean profile image66
      NateSeanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Again. We're talking about a gun license. So unless there's a big bowl of guns with a sign that says, "Please take one" at the testing facility where one goes to apply for the license, I still don't see the issue.

Presumably, once the government grants the ten year-old the lisence, it will still be up to the parents to decide if their kids can hold a shotgun or not.

1. simeonvisser profile image68
        simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So if the parents decide their kid can have a gun then you have no problem with a 10 year old + license + gun walking around in the streets?

I'd like to go with Logical Extremes for $500 Alex. OOOh, I got the Daily Double.

The license in question is for a shotgun not a concealed weapon. These are rather heavy weapons and very hard to carry around. Oh and for a ten year-old, that'd be virtually impossible to conceal.

Odds are, if a ten year-old were caught carrying a shotgun in public, not only would he lose the lisence, but his parents would be brought up on some kind of charges relating to negligence.

The point is, there are laws protecting us from the illegal usage of a gun. Your "example" would most likely be going against those laws. And as we in the US are well aware of, banning guns does not prevent the illegal use of guns.

Nine times out of ten, the idea behind this license, is to instill a sense of responsibilty and safety in the child. It does not guarantee that the child will ever have access to a gun in the near future. But if the child does get access to a shotgun, then he is less likely to have an accident with it as he understands the responsibility and the safety required for handling it. (Oh, and unless this ten year-old is the son of Clark Kent, he'll likely have a hard as hell time of carrying it too)

Now, refusing to lisence the kid does not prevent any kind of danger. That example you gave could just as easily happen to a kid who is not licensed. And, as the media has shown us for the last twenty years, if a kid is going to get into any kind of gun related trouble, he sure as hell doesn't need a lisence to do it.

5. profile image0
    wilbury4posted 13 years ago

The top and bottom of it is that a 7 - 10 year old is a child. During childhood, children want to play, they should learn life at a normal rate, it's a part of growing up. Working guns of any kind (excluding water pistols and similar toys) should not be a part of childhood.
    So, in a way, should we blame the parents for pushing the child into wanting to shoot guns?

Unless those children are raised in a nunnery in the middle of the barren lands of Northern Canada, you can't keep children from knowing about guns and weapons.

My parents were on the fence. I wasn't allowed to build guns out of duplos and legos. So where did I learn of toy guns mostly? Because half of the kids I went to school with played with them.

Oh and on TV, people shot guns at other people. Star Trek, Godzilla, Lazertag and a host of other shows and movies that we watch over the years involve guns of some kind. So unless you're going to up and move your family to Amish country, you can't stop your kids from being exposed to the reality of guns.

It's like parents who oppose having condoms available to teenagers in school. Well, the kids are going to have sex with or without your consent, so would you rather they do it safely or do it without any idea of the potential consequences?

At least if a kid gets a gun license, he will likely be made very aware of the consequences of irresponsibly carrying and using a gun. As opposed to a kid who does not have a license, gets a hold of a gun and plays with it like it's a toy. The license reinforces the idea that a gun is not a toy and should therefore not be wielded as such.

1. profile image0
        wilbury4posted 13 years agoin reply to this

So do you believe that exposure to an item/product means that you should possess that item/ product. TV, as you say, is the main media where exposure arises, TV also shows drug addiction, violence, and many other crimes, gun crime included; exposure to such should not meant that one should participate in the viewed action.
        My opinion is that over here in the UK, guns of any kind are not necessary under normal circumstances, and there is no reason that a 7 year old should need to ever be in contact with one. Over in the USA, may be different, I can't comment on the rules over there.

Oh for the love of God. Again, we are talking about a license. That's piece of laminated paper with a signature on it. Not a gun itself. Having the license for something does not guarantee you will get a gun.

My parents had a driver's license for ten years before they could even afford to rent a car, much less had access to one to drive. In some states in the US you can get your learners permit at the age of 14, but it doesn't mean the kid is automatically going to have access to a car.

And yes, TV shows violence, drug addiction and many other crimes. You know what, welearn about those things in school. I don't know how they do it in the UK, but in the US, police hold special events at school that teach students about drug recognition. They bring samples of the drug and the paraphanalia so that kids can learn to recognize the names and the drugs that are on the street, with the hope that they can learn to avoid such things.

Sure, some of those kids will probably go onto use drugs either way. But that's the power of free will. And at least they can't say that no one tried to educate them.

A gun license, which is issued by the government and with the parent's consent, at least shows me that the parents were responsible enough to teach their child about responsibility and safety.

The idea that the gun license=getting a gun, is the same logical fallacy that lead hundreds of Vermonters to believing that "Civil Unions= Gay People flocking to Vermont by the Thousands". There's just no logical reason to believe it will happen.

1. profile image0

Likewise "Oh for the love of God" (Temper temper).
            A 7 year old is not responsible enough to possess a gun license (why have a license if your not going to use it),  a 7 year old is a child, guns are not a part of childhood, they are weapons, they can kill.

Then it's up to the parent to make the call. Bottomline. Not up to someone else's parents mind you. But to the parent of the individual child.

1. profile image0

Agree... and the parent should be fully responsible.
                However, some parents have encountered dissaster through children using a gun, a small mistake, a lapse of concentration.... why take the chance? As I have previously mentioned, the USA is different to the UK in many ways, so I don't expect you to fully agree with me, nor I to fully agree with you. Cheers.

Well as the US doesn't allow anyone to apply for a hunting license until they're 16, nationality doesn't really play into it here.

I just happen to agree with the UK government's decision here.

Aside from the fact, as I pointed out, a kid can have an accident with a gun whether he's licensed or not. But at least if he's licensed, the accident is far less likely because the parents are now even more liable in the eyes of the government.

It's not taking responsibility from the parents. It's reminding them of it.

1. profile image0

I think the Government are planning to look deeper into the law and make changes to the minimum age rule, I would vote for that!
                    We're not hunters, I think "clay pigeon shooting" is the sport in question.
                    We all have differences of opinion... it would be a boring world if we all thought alike, would be like "Stepford wives".
                    Have a good weekend....

6. CARIBQUEEN profile image63
    CARIBQUEENposted 13 years ago

As long as they don't shoot themselves in the foot or anywhere else for that matter. It is crazy though and parents need to be more attentive to their own thought processes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)