Hubber Score sinking again

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

Methinks I spoke too soon.

I'm back down in the low 70s.

I'm really at a loss now, because I have deleted links, added links, added content to several pages, and created half a dozen new hubs in a new group, all to overcome the original suggested problem that my first 10 Hubs were all on related topics and therefore linked to a small group of external sites.

My score did go up to over 80, briefly, but I am thinking now that might just have been because of the recency effect from updating all my pages and making six new ones, and not due to anything I did with links after all.

I've gone and looked at pages by people with really high Hubber scores, and some of them are nothing but plain text! So clearly adding in images, video, links and feeds doesn't really make that much difference.

I'm a bit stuck for what else to do, really.

It took me a good few hours to produce six new Hubs, and I don't want to put that much time in all over again if it isn't going to fix the problem.

I like writing Hubs, but I do have a business or two to run as well!

And if my Hubber score keeps sinking due to things outside my control I'll lose motivation pretty quickly.

If someone tells me for sure that it's links causing my problem, and that it's worth my while to produce another half dozen hubs with no links in them at all, I'll happily do it.

All my Hubs except the one published today rate over 60, and more than half are over 70, so I am apparently producing good quality Hubs.

Any other ideas anyone?

Jenny

1. trakker14 profile image61
      trakker14posted 16 years agoin reply to this

copy your different hub urls and place them in your profile just edit and place them in the text portion.

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Jenny,

I looked at one of your first hubs, and it has six links to your site. All you had to do is to cut this number down to two. As well as several other multiple links on the same page. And watch its hubscore climbing...

I'm not staff, but I have some experience here, and I'm sure this will solve your problem...

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

Misha is much more experienced than me so there's a good chance he's right.  I'm just wondering, could duplicate content be a factor?  Is some of this material also on your website?

4. Inspirepub profile image72

The various parts of our story have appeared on our site and in articles, but I don't think that's what's doing it.

As I understand it, I would be told on the page if duplicate content was an issue.

I must have missed some links, Misha - I don't remember ever putting more than two links to any one site on any page I have created! I'll go back and look again.

Unless you're talking about the RSS feed? Each blog post that shows up in the RSS feed has its own link, but surely an RSS feed doesn't count as multiple links? Otherwise everyone who puts an RSS feed on their Hub would be penalised, and we'd all stop using them.

Mind you, come to think of it, none of the really high-scoring Hubbers seem to use RSS feeds.

Administrators? Should I take away my RSS feeds?

Jenny

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

OK, who can advise on this one?  I'm sure I read somewhere that a Hub can still be marked down for excessive du[plicate content, even if it's not bad enough to get flagged.  Just can't remember where...

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Yeah, I just went there one more time and looked more carefully. I'm talking about this hub: http://hubpages.com/hub/Business-Ideas-For-Kids

Yes, it is probably RSS capsule you have there, and if this is the case, then no, it shouldn't affect the hubscore. Hubpages are smart enough to account for this. Let me take a look at some other hubs and see if I can come up with something.

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

I found three links to one site here, clearly not RSS: http://hubpages.com/hub/Young-Entrepreneurs

I suspect there could be others, too.

Other than that I don't see anything alarming in a handful of your hubs I looked at smile I think you just need to check them all carefully, cause even a single "spammy" one will weigh on your hubscore heavily...

Inspirepubposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Isn't that weird? That's one of my highest scoring Hubs. I've taken out two of the links, and I'll watch what happens.

I'll recheck all the other Hubs, too.

I wish there was a way to SEE what the problem is, instead of guessing and watching and hoping ...

Jenny

7. Kenny Wordsmith profile image72
    Kenny Wordsmithposted 16 years ago

Don't worry about your hubscore, Inspire! It will take care of itself, and this is no competition.
    I discovered one thing, if it's of any help:

If I let my hubs be, and let visitors come to my site, the ratings go up automatically. When I'm busy creating new hubs, especially if I have about five or six pending ones, my score goes lower, in a kind of dilution.

If you go around posting comments and ratings, your personal score goes up. Just try it. Just like life, I think!

All the best. smile

8. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 16 years ago

A lot of my hubs have a lot of text, but having a wider variety of content seems to do better for me.  I write for a few different sites and while I do link to them from my Hubs, it's only one or two links per Hub.  I do use RSS feeds, but I often limit them to show just a few links from a site, not a half dozen.

Participation on the site as a whole does effect your HubScore, and I think a lot of people don't take that into account.  I often read over the latest Hubs list while drinking my morning tea, and that small amount of time is probably more than a lot of people interact with and use the site.

Once you've got good content, it really comes down to traffic.  From my experience, high-scoring Hubs not only are well-developed, but have hundred to thousands of visits per week.  And it's not just pageviews from traffic that you need, but thumb's up and comments and people clicking on links.  I sort of think of Patrick Stewart's Capt Picard from Star Trek... "Engage!"   To me, it's not "if you build it they will come" but "when they come, will they engage?"

Inspirepubposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Relache
      "Participation on the site as a whole does effect your HubScore, and I think a lot of people don't take that into account.  I often read over the latest Hubs list while drinking my morning tea, and that small amount of time is probably more than a lot of people interact with and use the site."

I'm posting at least half a dozen comments and forum posts a day, flagging dubious content, and giving the thumbs up when I find a good hub, but my Hubber score is still slipping.

I don't know if I'll ever get thousands of page views a day smile

My topics aren't exactly the "blockbuster" type!

Jenny

P.S. I need remedial help in using the quote/reply function, evidently!!

1. funride profile image69
        funrideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

First of all welcome to HubPages Inspirepub wink

I think you´re to much anxious for some one who has arrived here only 6 days ago.

I also thought that when I start hubbing but right now I already know that it takes time. Wait a couple weeks and you´ll see wink

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Well, you seem to be getting better. That's good smile

10. Inspirepub profile image72

Thanks for the vote of confidence, funride!

Jenny

11. Inspirepub profile image72

You know, I wish HubPages did that automatically. Several times I have clicked on a Hubber and wanted to see what they have written on a particular topic, and all you get is a few - "latest", "hot", etc.

I'd like to see a full listing, ideally sorted by group, on each Hubber's profile.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)