British comedies in the US

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (33 posts)
  1. rambo87 profile image60
    rambo87posted 15 years ago

why is it that British comedy often struggles to impress audiences in the US?

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
      GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There's not much on television. And the ones that are....are taken and Americanized (like the Office.)

I for one love Red Dwarf, and a few others. But Red Dwarf is the most awesome thing since sliced bread.

Americans aren't used to subtle comedy.

Sincerely,

G|M

2. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

There is not much on network TV in my opinion.  Any channel that show commercials is not some thing I usually watch.  I read my news online, and watch mostly movies on TV for the most part.  When I do watch TV series it is usually the HBO variety like Curb Your Enthusiasm, Big Love, and the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency.  I also liked Flight of the Concords.

3. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 15 years ago

I just don't get the humor. I'm really sorry, but I just don't. smile

4. Bob Cedar profile image58
    Bob Cedarposted 15 years ago

"Where is Charles Pensington this morning?"  *Charles enters the room to soft, polite British applause* "I say Thurston, you will never guess what I just did." "What was that Charles?" "I was playing cricket, when all of a sudden I rounded the tilly wag with a crumpet." *Polite British laughter*

Nah I'm just kidding, I liked this one show, and I can't remember the name of it, where these guys lived in the country and one kind of looked like a farmer, but the others were well dressed. It would always play soft flute-y type music between scenes. I remember seeing that on PBS.

5. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

Seriously, British Comedy can be awesome.

Red Dwarf on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec

And...most awesome...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyKF2qd0-iQ

(paraphrased)
    "Sir, just suppose I did have the cat..what would you do to Frankenstein?"

"I'll have it sent down to medical and have it splice it up into a million pieces to make sure its okay"

"Well, will you put the cat back together when you're done?"

"Lister, the cat will be dead."

"Well, with respect sir, whats in it for the cat?"

big_smile

6. Mary James profile image61
    Mary Jamesposted 15 years ago

I'm an American, my husband is English, this is a heated debate in our household.

The language barrier is one reason.  It's amazing how two people can be speaking the same "language" without actually speaking the same language.  I can't tell you the countless mistakes that have come out of this problem (including one very strange beef, potato, and spinach casserole).

Cultural differences present another problem.  What a person finds funny stems from what they know, and what they know is based in how and where they were raised.  British and American culture, despite their similarities, are surprisingly different.  As one responder to this put "I just don't get it".  This is the reason Little Britain isn't flying off the shelves of Best Buy.

American FCC regulations prohibit a lot more.  My father-in-law is always glued to the TV when we visit, so I've experienced my fair share of BBC and Sky.  Despite what Americans like to think, they aren't used to some of the content you get on regular British TV.  We're used to having to pay for that kind of stuff, hence Showtime and HBO.

It's really a combination of these three that make up the failure of British comedy on American TV, which is a shame, because some of it is absolutely hysterical!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    2. KCC Big Country profile image86
      KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I too have managed to marry an Englishman and there isn't a day that goes by that one of us doesn't have to explain something to the other!  Keeps life interesting!

7. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 15 years ago
  8. Colebabie profile image60

I still just don't get it smile It isn't my type of humor, it lends itself to think it couldn't really happen I guess. American comedy is either 1. Totally impossible 2. Oh my gosh that has totally happened/could totally happen. British comedy is somewhere in between.

9. GeneriqueMedia profile image60

*offers Colebabie a crumpet*

Meh, oh well. You tried. wink

10. Colebabie profile image60

Mmm crumpets I like smile Thanks!

11. Junkster profile image61
    Junksterposted 15 years ago

I like both British comedies and American one, the myth that british humour is more "intellectual" is null I think, there's plenty of "clever" US shows.  A selection of US and UK comedies I like are listed below:

US -
    30 Rock - (absolutely love this show)
    The Office - (soo much better than the UK one, and yes I'm from the UK)
    My Name is Earl - (alright for what it is, not the bes though)
    South Park - (it's actually really clever and funny these days)
    Chappelle's Show  - (best US skit show ever)

UK -
    Only Fools and Horses - (classic)
    Whatever Happened to the likely lads - (again, classic 60s/70s)
    The Inbetweeners - (exactly like me and my friends a few years back, so funny)
    Look Around You - (first series is what schools used to show to kids to "educate" them but it's so funny)
    Red Dwarf - (anytihng apart form the recent travesty three-parter they did)
    Peep Show - uch a genius idea with two funny guys.

12. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I love British comedies. But, then again, I was born in Scotland.

Among my favourite shows are:

BlackAdder (all 4 series') - with Rowan Atkinson
    As Time Goes By
    Butterflies
    Fawlty Towers

As you can see, most are older shows.

My current US favourite is The Big Bang Theory.

1. Junkster profile image61
      Junksterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Big bang theory and Blackadder, two I forgot!

I watched the blackadder boxset from start to finish only a month ago too! D'oh!

2. profile image0
      A.M. Gwynnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just have to add my own two cents to your selections. I love those! I didn't get a chance to even view Black Adder.
      My all time favorite Brit Com is Keeping Up Appearances. Close behind that: Are You Being Served?, As Time Goes By, Waiting For God, The Vicar Of Dibley, Fawlty Towers and yes, I have to admit I used to watch Hero. I know all mine are the old ones, but they have served me so well and I will still watch them whenever they are on.

13. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

Fawlty Towers
    The Office
    Peep Show
    Bremner, Bird and Fortune

14. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 15 years ago

One that impressed me a while back was "Good Neighbors".

15. Research Analyst profile image74
    Research Analystposted 15 years ago

The Benny Hill Show was my favorite british comedy, too funny!!smile

16. kerryg profile image85
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

We got a bunch on PBS for awhile and my brother was quite the addict. My favorite was The Vicar of Dibley, and I keep meaning to check out Red Dwarf, which was his favorite.

17. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 15 years ago

Don't forget about 'Some mothers do av em', 'Porridge', 'The Good Life', 'Last of the summer wine' and that old one with the two rag and bone men but I forget what that one was called, all greats!

1. Amanda Severn profile image94
      Amanda Severnposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Steptoe and Son!

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
        Mrvoodooposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's the one, thank you. smile

18. Amanda Severn profile image94
    Amanda Severnposted 15 years ago

There's a definite difference not only between American and British humour, but also their writing styles. Even here on hubpages I can often pick out a British writer without referring to the box in the top right-hand corner. I think we British love to send ourselves up, and we're very fond of humorous characters that are almost caricatures of stereotypes, such as Basil Fawlty (right-wing, ultra Conservative sea-side hotelier) and Geraldine Granger (pretty, amply proportioned lady vicar based in a village full of completely oddball eccentrics)

The Vicar of Dibley and BlackAdder are two of my favourites, but I also love the humorous undercurrent that runs through some of our dramas such as Ashes to Ashes, and Life on Mars.

19. K.D. Clement profile image68
    K.D. Clementposted 15 years ago

I stumbled onto The Catherine Tate show on youtube.  I love her!!  She makes me laugh so hard I almost pee my pants.  Anyway, I am keen for British humour.  Love it all.  I used to be a fan of Absolutely Fabulous and the show (forget its name) that takes place in a department store (was popular in the 70s I think).

1. profile image0
      Neon Sign Fanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

"Are you being served?" I think that's the name of that one.

1. K.D. Clement profile image68
        K.D. Clementposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes!!  That is the one!

20. rambo87 profile image60
    rambo87posted 15 years ago

Ok after seeing all the responses on here maybe I was a bit wrong, some British comedy oviosuly is well recieved in America. With regards to American comedy in the US the first one I ever remember watching was "Cheers" what a classic. When I was at school I also used to love watching My Wife and Kids. Can someone tell me what are the biggest comedies in the US at the minute?

21. GeneriqueMedia profile image60

Ah, and lets not forget "Whose Line is it Anyway?"

22. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

Oh, I love British humor! I'm American as is my husband and he complains that he just doesn't get it. There isn't a lot on TV, I've caught a bit on BBCA- I like Couples, and I LOVE GRaham Norton! I usually laugh til I cry every time I watch an episode. And I know they are comediens, but I really like Russel Brand and my fave is Eddie Izzard

23. BristolBoy profile image63
    BristolBoyposted 14 years ago

One of the funniest commedies from this side of the pond is Father Ted - a series about Irish priests on a remote island.  Pure genius all the time.

24. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I absolutely LOVED Keeping Up Appearances on PBS via re-runs. I own all the seasons now on DVD lol. Other than that, I never really got into any other British comedies....not sure why.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)