When did you first start earning $50 to $100 on Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Miss Lil' Atlanta profile image78
    Miss Lil' Atlantaposted 12 years ago

How long did it take before you started earning $50 to $100 a month on Hubpages?

I try not to think all too much about the earning part on Hubpages since I'm still new here (4 months), but when you're earning literally NO money at all... It's still a bit discouraging.

1. Nell Rose profile image89
      Nell Roseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi, it took me nearly a year to earn $100, and that was literally over a year! I think you would have to write at least 3 to 4 hundred hubs before you get that, and to be quite honest, since the google thing, I think it will take even longer, sorry!

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not necessarily. I earn a more than that and I've never hit 50 hubs here. And I know other hubbers in the same situation. It's all about selecting the right keywords.

1. KCC Big Country profile image83
          KCC Big Countryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree.....it just takes some of us hundreds of hubs to figure out what those words are.  LOL

1. Rosie2010 profile image68
            Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've written over a hundred hubs now, and still trying to figure out what those words are.. but , by george, I'll figure them out..... someday. big_smile

2. Miss Lil' Atlanta profile image78
          Miss Lil' Atlantaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, then at least there's some hope. I mean, I feel like if I just stick with writing on here and honestly put in my best effort that things will turn out eventually.
          I've focused on writing for a niche and everything, but I don't quite have the keywords down as much as I could; I’m really working hard on that though. I think that some of the knowledge and benefits of understanding how to use keywords more efficiently will just come with practice and experience on here. I’m trying to look on the bright side. Before I was getting like 15 views a day on my hubs (yes, I know how pathetic), but now since I've changed things up I'm get between 240 and 280 views a day...

~And btw, thanks everyone for taking the time out to answer my question. I really do appreciate it.

1. IzzyM profile image86
            IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do yourself a giant favour and download a trial version of a program called Market Samurai. It's free to try, then they offer you it at a discounted rate. It tells you how many people are searching for a given keyword plus the competition you are up against, and a lot more besides.

If after the trial period you don't want to buy, then that's fine, but I recommend you do. I never started making money here until I did.

1. Rosie2010 profile image68
              Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Izzy.  This is very helpful for me too.  I am rather dense.. can't figure out keywords.  Thanks again.

2. Dawit T profile image62
              Dawit Tposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Google adwords is free and effective i you need to know which keywords are being used and the competition

1. lobobrandon profile image90
                lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh this topic has been resurrected. My traffic has grown from as little as 5 a day to 40 a day - that's good for 0 promoting, 0 social bookmarking and 0 re-sharing on HP. That too having just 15 hubs it's awesome. My CPM is 13 times that of adsense - I love HP ads!! My earnings more than double each month even though I haven't published new hubs in that time. Waiting for the holidays then I'll start rolling

3. chuckbl profile image68
              chuckblposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Izzy, a useful tip and one I haven't seen on hubpages guides yet. I know you wrote this two months ago, but I was wondering if you could tell me why this program would be better and more helpful than google adwords? Thanks.

1. IzzyM profile image86

I would say it is easier to use than Google adwords. Remember in adwords you can find the price that an advertiser would be expected to pay, and how many people have searched for that term, and the level of advertiser competition, and but it doesn't tell you anything about your competitors, which is other publishers, not advertisers.

So you are then expected to google the terms and see what sites rank for those keywords. Then you will need to use a browser add-on to go looking for the PR of that page, and the number of backlinks they have, ages of domain etc.

And if you do that for the first 10 or so results in Google, you can see that is a lot of work.

You also want to know all the related terms and their competition and value levels, and it is just a case of sitting down for a few hours and going through every little bit of information you can find, until you find a topic niche that is not oversaturated and with beatable competition.

With Market Samurai, it does the work for you, all you do is sit them and press the odd button here and there, while you do other things.

If your subdomain is ranking well with Google, it is well worth it.

1. homesteadbound profile image80
                  homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love market samurai also. It does all the work for me so that I can do other things with my time, like write!

2. chuckbl profile image68
                  chuckblposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Izzy, thanks very much for this information, as usual your advice and experience is invaluable. smile

2. Trish_M profile image81
    Trish_Mposted 12 years ago

Hi smile

In 15 months I have earned about $180.

It would be nice to receive more, but I cannot get to grips with keywords and I don't feel comfortable writing product hubs, so I shall just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope that things improve ~ and that I somehow manage to sort out my keywords smile smile

3. mdlawyer profile image43
    mdlawyerposted 12 years ago

It all depends on the quantum of content and effort you put in.

4. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

I've been here a little over five months, and had reach $50 mark in Adsense earnings in March.  I was hoping to reach payout in another three months or so, but April is proving to be a slow month for me.  I also signed up with the HP Ads program, so I am earning on that one too.  Payout for Adsense for me is $100 and HP Ads program is $50. I am nowhere near payout on HP Ads but earnings are consistent.  Hang in there, your views have improved dramatically from 15 to 280 - congrats!  That's quite an accomplishment.

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've written just over 50 hubs, and have reached $50 in adsense.  Have around $13 from HP ads - I suspect I will reach the $50 payout for that before the $100 one for adsense.  I don't usually pay attention to keywords & I don't have sales hubs etc

5. American_Choices profile image76
    American_Choicesposted 12 years ago

Product hubs have not been fruitful for me. 

Writing for the fun of it seems to only pay better but is simpler. 

Remember the more original your content, the higher the traffic, the higher the traffic, the higher the pay.

Refine your craft, keep working at making your Hubs useful and enjoyable and the pay will follow.

6. JulieBMack profile image59
    JulieBMackposted 12 years ago

I am not sure if it is just about keywords. I know a good deal about keywords, use Market Samurai, SEO, etc.  I get TRAFFIC.  It is the conversion that is the issue. 

Also, maybe the amount HubPages divies up. Maybe people that come to HubPages don't click much.  I just earn significantly more on eHow and those articles were before I knew anything about SEO.  I also earn more with Suite 101 (which is not much) with NO keyword research, less articles, and low CPC topics - like travel.  Who knows what the magical button is here - but I earn next to nothing at HubPages.  I just write here with a topic that does not quite fit anywhere else in my freelance arsenal.

1. Peter Owen profile image60
      Peter Owenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is this still true after the Google changes? I read a number of times that Suite 101 got nailed even worse than hubpages .
      I am also on Suite, but haven't written much since the editors there really rub me the wrong way. I had one editor demanding changes to my articles, and he clearly did not have a good grasp of the english language.

1. JulieBMack profile image59
        JulieBMackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Suite was nailed too.  I really don't make much in either of these sites.  Ironically, the one I earn the most is eHow and that was BEFORE the Panda update.  And those are not even my best, keyword rich articles....

2. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you read regularly in the forums, you'll notice that several people who answered the question initially (for example, IzzyM) are among those who are now saying their Hub traffic and earnings were decimated due to Panda. 

Suggestions that worked pre-Panda don't necessarily work now.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Too true.

I have given up on keyword research and all that jazz and just write what I feel like writing.

That approach doesn't work either, mind you, when you have a slapped subdomain.

1. Pcunix profile image91
            Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you should just create a new account and start fresh?

1. IzzyM profile image86

LOL, I did.

I've got 50 odd hubs over on the new account, but I keep coming back to this one smile

Oh and it's plunging and surging like no-one's business! I imagine al the new hubbers must be finding the same, and not realising that it's really not normal!

I get three weeks of Google traffic, then none for a week, then it all comes back...wow!

1. Pcunix profile image91
                Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Odd.  My Google traffic, although weak by my standards, is steady.  And so is my HP earnings - at least so far.

7. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 12 years ago

It took me six months to make 100.00, about 90 hubs.

1. JulieBMack profile image59
      JulieBMackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good for you!  I am not even close to that with over 70 hubs and 8 months.  sad  I noticed you have over 650 now!  Do you mind sharing how much you make a month now?

8. brandonhart100 profile image76
    brandonhart100posted 12 years ago

It happened for me the first month, but then again I was probably just lucky that I joined around Christmas time.

9. hughbertz profile image57
    hughbertzposted 12 years ago

well i haven't been that successful yet. However, from my research I've learnt what I've been doing wrong all this time. I find that after I write a hub and Ping it and also submit it too some social bookmarking sites it gets quite a number of views. like I just read, conversion is also my problem for now. I also recently got a list of the highest paying keywords out there so I'm looking forward to writing some more.

10. bgpappa profile image77
    bgpappaposted 12 years ago

I just recently started making the lower threshold you gave right before the Google change.  It took a lot of time for me to learn to write in a way that makes Google smile.  And then they changed it. 

But just keep writing, some money will follow and it goes up and up, just very slowly

11. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 12 years ago

Get market Samurai and Traffic Travis, they work just fine. And join the Google Webmaster Tools thingummy too. that's great! Gives a great idea of what niches work and what one's suck. Great for writing hub sand for starting a new blog or website or anything on the web. Just sayin'! big_smile

1. HikeGuy profile image71
      HikeGuyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This has been encouraging.

Thanks for the tips on keyword tools, IzzyM and Cheeky Girl.

12. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

The question was how long it took people to make $50 *a month*

I only did that for one month when I had a panda surge.  I imagine few people are at that level.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think there are many making at least $50. a month on HP, possibly not those who frequently post in the forums.

13. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

I broke that barrier in September, I think.   It'd been slowly climbing ever since then.

14. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I'm making about two bucks a day. ....but my goal is two hundred bucks a day.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)