Lying is it wrong?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (121 posts)
  1. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 13 years ago

Is lying Wrong?   Is lying a sin? Is the ommission of the truth or facts a lie, is it a sin? Are there degrees of lying and sinning, if so where should the line be drawn?

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lying is wrong, yes.
      That's sometimes different from the ommission of truth.  Because there is such a thing as privacy or even secrecy when it comes to personal matters.
      So, no, I don't think there are degrees of lying and sinning.  Just degrees of what should or should not be voiced or admitted to.

Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Brenda Durham: I agree lying is wrong,totally I agree. Since failing to tell the truth is lying, how is it that failing to say anything if asked a direct question is not lying? One fails to deny or confirm the truth. Let's take a look. The police accuse someone of robbing a store. They neither confirm nor deny but ask for a lawyer. The police would then assume guilt, through an ommission of the truth.

1. profile image0

Right.
          But that's different from a scenario of where someone asks you a personal question.  You don't have to tell them anything at all; maybe it's just none of their business or maybe you just want to keep it private.  So, in that case, omitting the truth or keeping silent about it isn't lying.
          And as long as you don't manipulate the situation to cause them to perhaps be decieved about the truth or perpetuate a lie, then your responsibilty is done; and their responsibility to NOT spread unfounded gossip is on their heads.

2. profile image57
        stoneyyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

--Brenda
        Lying is wrong, yes.
        --Brenda

So,  in a situation like Nazi Germany where people were hiding Jews in their homes and/or places of business if the police asked if they were hiding Jews the people should reply; "Yes?"

In this matter, Jews is the state's business. 

Your full statement was:
        --brenda
        Lying is wrong, yes.
        That's sometimes different from the ommission of truth.  Because there is such a thing as privacy or even secrecy when it comes to personal matters.
        So, no, I don't think there are degrees of lying and sinning.  Just degrees of what should or should not be voiced or admitted to. --brenda

I find your statement confusing.  To me, it seem contradictory.  Help me out here, please.

2. RetailPrincess profile image60
      RetailPrincessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is wrong, but no one is perfect. We all tell a little lie, and embellish a story a bit. It makes life more interesting. As long as lie isn't hurting anyone's feelings, or will hurt their feelings if they knew the truth it's harmless, but you may look like a fool if you're telling tall tales. Lie at your own risk.

3. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes lying is wrong.

Lying holds no form of integrity. wink

1. profile image57

Interesting. 

So,  in a situation like Nazi Germany where people were hiding Jews in their homes and/or places of business if the police asked if they were hiding Jews the people should reply; "Yes?"

Do keep in mind the question is the states business.

2. May PL profile image66
        May PLposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is wrong, for sure. Even a half lie is not right as we are then not telling the truth as whole and complete as it should be smile

4. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wrong or sin?

If you enjoy and wish others to lie to you, then that would be the moral grounds from which one would decide if they should lie to themselves or others. Simple. smile

5. DoubleScorpion profile image79
      DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"thou shall not bear false witness". justify this as you see fit...

I fully agree. Thou shalt not bare false witness against anyone. You are absolutely correct. Thou shalt not embelish, thou shalt not omit the truth to spare another either.

1. May PL profile image66

Great bible reference.

2. profile image57

But then the Jesus character did just that;

John 7 (King James Version)

2 Now the Jew's feast of tabernacles was at hand.   {situation set up}

8 Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast: for my time is not yet full come.

9 When he had said these words unto them, he abode still in Galilee.

10 But when his brethren were gone up, then went he also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret.

Lies, secretiveness, and hypocrisy-oh, my!  {said in a Dorothy's Wizard of Oz tone}

1. DoubleScorpion profile image79
          DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yeppers you are correct...Makes you wonder don't it...

6. pylos26 profile image70
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

According to some religious fundies on these hubs "lying" is ok with their god. They proclaim that the "heaven" will be full of liars. Go figure.

I know no religious fundamentalists who would make such a statement, definitely no Christian would state this.

1. pylos26 profile image70
          pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well...I reckon i'm just a damned liar then. The post was made  while I responded to a hub written by "all shookup" about one year ago plus. I wouldn't do the research to prove i'm correct, but its in there.

7. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes; lying is wrong; one should avoid it.
      There is no doubt about it though.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

Get the program from the fifties called 'One Step Beyond', on a local station here.
    Last night the show was about a crooked car salesman who buys a haunted car, wherein who ever owns it, has to tell the truth and cannot tell a lie. The condition persists until the car is sold to someone else.

3. SpanStar profile image60
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

I believe God doesn't put degrees on lying- sin is sin.

Why wouldn't lying be wrong?  You anyone like to make friends with a banker for example who has taken your money and placed it in an account but only have of your money is in that account as they tell you that's all the money you gave me?

1. profile image57

Interesting.

So,  in a situation like Nazi Germany like I mentioned in a reply to Brenda and Cagsil in this thread applies and is handled in what way?  Do keep in mind the question is the states business.

--spanstar
      I believe God doesn't put degrees on lying- sin is sin.
      --spanstar

I see a problem here.  A lie said in kindness to a person-say about the amount of pain a terminal cancer patient is in-is no different than walking up to a random person and blowing their head off.

Since the one 'oh my' wipes out a myriad amount of 'good boy's' it doesn't matter what you do as the result remains the same.

4. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

I think a lie, such as ' no you don't look fat in that dress' is not a lie. That is a kindness.

Joking around is ok. As long as it is made clear at some point.

But when you gain from the lie on, any way, or say it as an unkindness it would be sin.

1. SpanStar profile image60
      SpanStarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can see your point Just_Curious,

However I believe God sees things the same as we do for if we look at Jesus's life I don't see where he make remarks like that- they were always as true as they can be, from how I see it.

1. profile image0
        just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I understand where you are coming from, but Jesus said Love God and Love Your Neighbor. That is what the laws are for. I just believe that every decision made must take that statement into  account first and foremost.

2. stilljustwonderin profile image60
        stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When the woman caught in adultry was brought to Jesus and they asked him about stoning her, he didn't say yes or no.  He said He with no sin cast the first stone.  He answered the question in a way that they had to answer it for themselves.

5. knolyourself profile image61

Is it wrong to lie to myself?

I suppose so. You tell yourself that you are attractive. Then every person you run into tells you how bad you look. You lied to yourself you got hurt by others comments of the truth.

2. May PL profile image66

Why would you want to do that anyway?

6. profile image48
    niru786posted 13 years ago

Lying is sometime bad when we hurt to somone.

but when we give pleasure by lying and not hurted anyone then it is good.

More about it by an indian God : look
    Indian God

1. profile image0

oh dear....

7. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

Lie is always a lie. It's a low deceiving trick. You  can always tell the truth without hurting, you don't have to lie. If you don't know how - better not tell anything.

1. May PL profile image66

I so agree, sometimes it is just as well to keep quiet!

"Wrong"! keeping quiet is lying by ommission it is still a lie. Speak the truth and nothing but the truth.

8. knolyourself profile image61

Judge Judy says: "you don't have to have a good memory if you tell the truth".

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good point.

9. SpanStar profile image60

I saw a video a few months ago where family and friends came together and cranked a prank where the father saw a recording of lottery number read off and as the father saw he had the winning numbers he was just beside him, jumping around and almost out of breath.

He was so happy- that is until they told him it was a prank

was this lie ok?

1. profile image0

I saw that!
      I thought it was horrible!
      I felt so bad for the victim of that joke.

So did I Brenda,

He seemed hurt from being taken out of what looked to him a bright future.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
          Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For any Christian,

If you took a vacation to Iraq and were capture by some Muslim nut jobs , Then they told you, we are Muslins and we are killing christian today.

Are you going to tell them you are not Christian and save your life?

OR are going to tell them you are Christian and die?

1. profile image0

I'd take death, I hope.

2. profile image0

I honestly don't know.
            I HOPE I would tell them that I'm a Christian, yes.  Not "Christian", but a Christian.

3. kirstenblog profile image77
            kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This reminds me of stories that came out of Nazi Germany, about non-jews wearing the star of david in public to show solidarity in the face of the very real threat of being put in a camp. Honestly in this situation I would hope I would be able to lie and say I was a christian, that lie could illustrate a deeper truth about killing people for such petty reasons.

My feelings about lying is that when you feel the need to lie its like having a fever. When you have a fever it is a sign, a sign that you are ill and something is wrong. When you feel the need to lie it is a big warning sign that something is wrong. More often then not it is a sign of something wrong with the choices we are making in our life. On rare occasions the problem is external, something wrong with society and the world we live in. When that is the case I cannot pass judgment on the person lying, I don't think anyone can.

10. SpanStar profile image60

No question Castlepaloma,

You have a point unfortunately Christians have been faced with that same situation all through history and I'm not saying I could accept choosing death but if I were a true Christian then I should be willing to give up my life if it is for the glory of God as so many others have in the past.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good grief! You guys really want the martyr thing dontcha?
      How funny that you cannot define it - yet would choose death and conflict instead of turning the other cheek. Why is that?

This may sound foreign to you but it's called [ trust ]

More then anything God wants us to trust him.  I'm guessing there's more faith in trust then in knowing.  (still I know this doesn't mean anything to you)

No - it doesn't mean anything full stop. If you actually believed this garbage - you would do as the bible tells you to do and stop fighting.But - no - you prefer to fight. Like wot Jeebus sed.

You cannot define it - but you feel comfortable telling me wot god wants. Seems to me yo0u just get a kick out of saying wot god wants. wink

No wonder your religion causes so many conflicts. sad

What ever  my religion causes are you glad you don't have to have a darn thing to do with it!

When you talk what Christians should do why don't you start with tell people they should obey the laws and stop all the killing when never stop which goes for your unending nagging of trying to tell Christians how they should live their life.

2. profile image0

Son of a gun. Was that an option? Hey everybody, I've changed my mind. Could I just not lie and turn the other cheek? Thanks for catching that Mark.

11. Woman Of Courage profile image60
    Woman Of Courageposted 13 years ago

Yes, I agree that lying is wrong and it's a sin.

Everybody has lied in their lifetime,(to degrees) it like everybody farts , just not everybodies amits it,

Why would you not lie to save your life, do you not love your self first,

No wonder there is more suicides than war, terror and murder combine and more under the name of God, than any other reason,

God has forgiven you for all the other lies, why not is one?

1. profile image0

I don't think you understand we see that as a denial of Christ, worse than a lie to any Can christian. It would be a horrible thing to think ourselves capable of doing. I'm sure we would not blink to lie about something simple, if it would save out lives.

We? LOL

As I thought - you were not being entirely truthful about the bandwagon. Oh well - fortunately - you can lie with impunity as long as you sez the majic words. sad

1. profile image0

Again, you don't understand the band wagon concept. I am voicing my opinion, as are you. I see the band wagon as something you sit on and let others tell you what to think.

Maybe it is simply a difference in our definitions. Maybe we need to figure that out first, before you judge me.

No - I understand just fine. You lump yourself in the Christian bandwagon - that much is clear. Not worried about telling lies either it appears. No wonder your religion causes so many fights. sad

Tell me wot the bandwagon (bible) sez again. lol

1. profile image0

You know what? You are absolutely right. We was not the word to use. I believe that to deny Christ is wrong, and simply used that word because I want to think it is a universal belief. I should have said me instead of we. I have no right to make assumptions.

Thank you for correcting me.

2. Beelzedad profile image59

Interesting, so it behooves Christians to lie as they don't see that worse than the acceptance of their beliefs whereas others would see it the other way round. smile

1. profile image0

I'm sorry, I don't follow that. Would you be so kind as to explain?

1. Beelzedad profile image59

If the Christian sees lying as not as bad as denying the beliefs in their god, then the Christian will most certainly lie if the subject matter surrounds their god and the denial thereof. smile

1. profile image0

No. I don't think that is true. Not for me. This is not a denial of God, but a denial of His time among us. A denial of the resurrection. I don't follow your argument that to refuse to deny something I hold to be true would lead me to lie about my faith.

What part of your argument am I missing?

That is essentially a denial of magic. And, while I'm sure you don't deny the magic of the resurrection, you'd most certainly deny magic under other circumstances. smile

1. profile image0

Hey, I missed this one. Magic and miracles are not the same thing. Different source entirely. I would assume magic today is little more than well planned illusion.

2. profile image0

Hey, I slept on your statement and I see your point. Maybe it's true of some when caught in the moment of a heated exchange with people over the topic of religion. But, people who believe in God are not lying to themselves. In their hearts they know the truth of what they believe.

What purpose do you think it would serve to be dishonest with oneself on such a point?  It is unfathomable, and the statement is one that contributes to the conflict. Implying that people are deluding themselves and others in some way on the basic concept their religion was born from.

Sorry. I know it is not common practise here to post a second reply.

Hearts pump blood, it is the brain in which one refers to knowing. Knowing a truth and being indoctrination are two separate things. The so-called truths held are the result of indoctrination, not a result of actually knowing something.

With indoctrination, the person wholeheartedly accepts the irrational without question. 

That's what atheists say, too. smile

1. profile image0

Truth is truth. No amount of indoctrination, or lack thereof, can change that. Sorry, I humbly disagree with your assessment.

2. Woman Of Courage profile image60
        Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Castlepaloma, I have answered the question of this thread. "Lying is it wrong?"  I never stated in my reply above that I would not lie to save my life. Reread my post please. I really hope I would say I am a christian and die.

12. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

Amazing.  When a scenario like that is presented, some people persist in placing blame on Christians, conveniently leaving out the terrorists from the start!   Wow.

13. knolyourself profile image61

"conveniently leaving out the terrorists from the start!" Where do the terrorists start?

Don't get me wrong, I see America no better or worse than any other country in the World. Yet, there is some down sides, USA is not the most peaceful and happiest nation in the world.

When I see one million Iraqi killed on Iraqi soil and no Iraqi have killed an American on America soil. So, let’s leave out the Christian an eye for eye bible quote out of this.

If lying is unacceptable among the 78% Christian America, why the USA is more like Sodom and Gomorrah than any other nation in the world,

What is the real purpose of having Christianity anyways?

From where I sit America will be judged by God for no one will escape God's judgement.

Once again from my position it is way to walk in the ways of Jesus the Christ.  The world and the way we behave is not pleasing to God and if one is a true Christian then they will be an example for the world.

I Did Say IF

14. knolyourself profile image61

"I'm sure we would not blink to lie about something simple, if it would save out lives." "Lie to me".

15. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Lying is lying. Doesn't matter how you put it - lying is the moment you withhold the truth - irrespective of whether you open your mouth and spout something to avoid the truth - or avoid saying anything at all.

Keeping things to yourself isn't in the same class when you talk of lying by omittance. If someone asked what I've made on Hubpages this month - I'd say nothing at all or 'none of your business'.

As for terrorists - often times their purpose is based in a belief, usually a religious one. Which brings it back to the oft thrown out 'religion causes death and mayhem'.

The odd time you lie, like in the case, you can  save your own life, is understandable. In this case this kind of lying is because you do not want to do it.

Now BS lying, you don't even care that you lie about or you really don’t care for all people concerned like other religious countries different than yours, like they are sub human to you?

Is the Bible the biggest BS story ever told?

Or are the people who control the masses through the bible or other one book religious wonders, the greatest BSers?

16. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 13 years ago

Lying is a negative word - ofcourse it's wrong.

17. SpanStar profile image60

People are the ones who do the lying and we've done it endlessly why do we blame others like the bible for things we do all the time?

You don't need to blame the bible, give credit where credit is due, the blame rests on childhood religious indoctrination. smile

18. theseus profile image71
    theseusposted 13 years ago

Lying is wrong,period. There is no justification that would make it right,no matter how good the intention behind the lie maybe.Doesn't it that our parents always say that we should not tell a lie because liars go to hell?

19. Gregoryy profile image61
    Gregoryyposted 13 years ago

Lying is mostly wrong!! The bible says its wrong to bear flae wittness!! however it also says to treat others as u would like to be treated. So if ur lying to protect sum1 close to you it may be nessasary

Ok, so you don't lie, the Muslim kills you for being Christian.
      Next thing, you find yourself talking to Lord Satan, and you say, I'm a Christian and did not tell a lie this time.

Then Satan says, suicide is a far greater sin than lying, God would have forgiven you for a lie, that's why you are in HELL now, sorry that’s the rules,

Can a Christian ever win?

20. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

Basically it is  too short a question for the answer that is so complicated.

The greatest pass time in America is lying.!!!
      From day you are born your parents are telling you’re the most beautiful thing they have ever seen, to me you look like a lizard.

Then they tell you the Ester Bunny, Santa Clause, Tooth fairy are all real then afterwards, they admit they were lying, and you just forget about it and move on in believing  all the tales in the bible are real too. Then you find out the world is not flat, the earth is longer than 6000 years old.

Someone must be lying is it the 650 years old immortal jelly. Or is it that 4 billion year old evolution claim by most scientists. Or are it all other and other religions (most people) lying because Christianity is the universal truth and the only right way to God.

With so much mistrust going on, how is it possible to love most people on earth?

1. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Until UFO landed we are stuck with people with all their naked bravado.

1. Midnight Oil profile image83
          Midnight Oilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I have seen a naked bravado before, but I have had a very sheltered life - should I ask my mother what one is ? wink

21. profile image53
    Daewalkerposted 13 years ago

The whole human organized world is built on a series of lies
    that are perpetually repeated daily by mass media and accepted
    by the masses. This world is likened to a house built on shifting
    sands until a great storm came and totally demolished it and great
    was the fall! Therefore, no doubt World War 3 will happen as it
    can be no other way! I have observed many people say they want
    the truth 100% of the time until the truth is not to their
    advantage then they have little us for it. Basically,people want
    the things they want and the truth when inconvenient or not
    advantageous is disregarded every day in every way. Look at mass
    market advertising bold lies are stated and accepted daily so
    how long can we last if the foundation of human society is based
    on lies most assuredly we cannot!!!

Daewalker
      Welcome to the forum

Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see, that old saying

I have more  Evangelizing Tolerance than that , but when they tell me there is no contradiction in the Bible, I get that creepy brainwashing feeling along with the greedy rich.

22. Cristen Rodgers profile image67
    Cristen Rodgersposted 13 years ago

This is the problem with masses trying to generalize right and wrong...inconsistencies.  If we would all just consider ourselves as wholly interconnected, we would need no such generalized terms like 'lying' that leave too much room for subjective analysis. All we have to do is consider, 'would I do this to myself?' or 'would I appreciate this if it were done to me?'.  Then all answers would be clear concerning 'right' and 'wrong'.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)