What is the worst day you've ever had?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (54 posts)
  1. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image74
    KoffeeKlatch Galsposted 12 years ago

The worst day in my life was when I showed up to work and the doors were locked.  There was a sign on the door letting us know that the business was no londer in business.  None of us gathered there had any idea we would be out of a job when we got up that morning.  I was supporting 3 children and living pay check to paycheck, it wasn't a happy occurance for me.

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

today, I swear

sad

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

KL - big hug (for whatever is happening)

1. profile image0
          kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

kisses you and hugs too

thanks love

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I think the worst for me was the morning I answered the phone and found out my husband was found dead. sad

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 12 years agoin reply to this

rebekah, I can't imagine a moment without my husband and the thought of losing him suddenly and unexpectedly is terrifying.  My heart goes out to you.

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

gosh, how awful.  And told over the phone, too

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was horrifying- my two sons were in their bedroom and heard me crying hysterically into the phone. I was so shook up, I could barely move. The person on the phone came to my home. I called my parents who immediately came over.
        My sons were 16 and 12. I lived through the day and the days and years that have followed. My husband's last words to me (unknowingly), were, 'you look beautiful..happy.'

His passing eventually opened my life to the preciousness of each moment. You will rarely hear me complain. And I have two amazing sons. smile

1. Robin Cristy profile image60
          Robin Cristyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In a way, your husband left you with 3 beautiful gifts - your sons and the recognition that life is indeed amazing...

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes, he did, very much so, but it took me a while to realize this. But eventually, my heart opened.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

oh my...can't imagine what that was like...

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Well, to be quite honest, I am not sure that I have had one specific day that has been worse than others. I only say that because, I have a couple of days that were horrible and about equal to one another.

(a) One day I was working a job and family members were allowed to get our employee discount, however, as my mother made a purchase, I specifically told the cashier to give her my employee discount, but later found out that she failed to listen to me. It wasn't until later at night that I found out that she didn't give my discount to my mother, but when I did, I was pissed off. I left my home, got onto my motorcycle and headed back to work. On my way back to work, I ended up getting into a motorcycle accident, due to the fault of a 14 year old boy driving the car I slammed into the side of. I spent 6 hours in surgery(wrist imploded, a couple of bones turned to dust and the rest broke into 500 pieces) to repair my right wrist and 3 days in the hospital.

(b) Was the day I was pulled out of school because my father died from the cancer that was eating away at him.

1. profile image0

Wow, Cags.  Neither of those is easy to get over.  I would guess at this point, though, that both have made you a stronger person for certain.

All the best as you move forward.

smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Motown, both incidents happened in the same year(1986).

My father died in April. The accident happened in November. hmm

1. profile image0

Wow.  That kind of catastrophic year can try a person's mettle for sure.  Grateful that you've made it through and continued to contribute to making our world a better place!  I'm certainly glad to "know" you.

smile

My parents and I were in an auto accident in November of 1986.  Mom and I came through okay, but my father lost about eighty percent use of his right (dominant) arm.  At least, that's what they told him - but he was never able to learn to hunt, fish, or bowl with his left hand, so he made the right one work again at least to do those things!

smile

I am humbled and honored that you would be. smile big_smile
            Ouch, but I am glad to hear that he was able to at least do some things. smile

1. profile image0

Yeah, my dad wasn't one of those who took kindly to being told what he couldn't do.  He learned to sign his name with his left hand, but the really "important" stuff - well, he MADE his right arm do what he wanted it to do.  He was a pip, my dad.

smile

I look at it this way - we may not always agree, but we generally are able to do it civilly, and I respect a good deal of what you have to say on a frequent basis.

wink

cool smile big_smile

2. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image74
            KoffeeKlatch Galsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Motown2Chitown,
            It sounds like your father was a fighter.

1. profile image0

That he was, indeed!  smile  The car flipped and pinned his right arm below.  While they were extracting him, he could hear me crying and yelled out to me - "Don't worry, honey.  Daddy's had broken bones before!"

He was quite a guy.

smile

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Past is better than future.

I’ve got one, possibly two, coming up that will be as bad as bad gets.

5. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

I can probably list several days, but out of all the bad days that I've had, I don't think I could pick one that stands out in my mind.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I've lived a hard life, as I'm sure there's others that have suffered far worse troubles than I.  However, I tend to think of bad days as a learning experience if anything.  If something bad happens, then I just try to learn from it and move on.  As I learned at an early age, dwelling on something isn't going to fix the problem, nor is it going to make things better wallowing in self pity.  However, I do offer my sympathies to those who post on this forum about their bad days, as I hope things have gotten better since then for you all.  smile

Edit:  Besides, look at it this way.  No matter how bad your life is or day, it can always get worse.  So why sweat over troubles, when you should focus your life on the things you do have going for you. smile

6. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image74

rebekahELLE, How awful.  I am so sorry.  I have led a sheltered life.  Not much touches me.  I don't look forward to that experience.

Cagsil,  Ouch.  Sorry about your father.  I have always felt there is someone (Probably many someone's) out there that are going through much worse than I.

paradigmsearch,  kepp the faith it will help you through the days ahead.

Stevennix2001, How true, it can always get worse.  I think for me I tend to not dwell on the bad.  My bad day was brought to my attention lately by my oldest daughter who had a bad day and called to let me know about it.  We kind of laughted about how well things turned out after I found out I no longer was employed.  I went on to find the best job I had ever had.  So in reality my worst day led to my best day.

7. channy1969 profile image60
    channy1969posted 12 years ago

I just found out that I have a hole in my eardrum. The doctors are worried I may loose my hearing. I am now going to have to have surgery for my ruptured eardrum. Okay loose my hearing in my left ear completely. It really sucks.

8. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image74

channy1969, you bad day is happening now.  I am sorrry about your eardrum.  I hope you keep your ability to hear out of your left ear. Good Luck.

9. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 12 years ago

June 14th, 2010, the day I found out I wouldn't make it to Christmas if I didn't have surgery immediately to repair the thoracic aortic aneurysm I had. Surgery didn't take place immediately, for we had to figure out how it was going to get paid for since I had no insurance. On Aug. 19, 2010 they fixed me and I'm getting stronger and back to my old self every day.

Don't take life for granted is the lesson learned, because it may not be there tomorrow.

Rebekah my heart goes out to you and the others that have posted here.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Im sorry to hear you had to go through that lynne, but i'm glad to hear it worked out okay, as I know a lot people would miss you if didn't pull through on that day.  Myself included. smile

2. profile image0

Welcome back to the land of the continuing to live despite what the doctors tell you, lynne!  All the best to you and your family as you continue to recover. 

smile

10. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image74

lynnechandler, what an awful experience to have to go through.  Unfortunately the medical field does hold back help until the money is in hand.  I'm glad it all worked out.

11. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

You'll never know your worst day until it happens. The OP started off with finding herself jobless, then Rebekah reported the day she lost her husband. Other reports serious illnesses and deaths.

This is what life is.

The worst thing is losing those close to us, or being diagnosed ourselves with life threatening conditions. Losing jobs, homes, family even are awful, but they don't touch death itself.

Losing a child is the most painful thing any of us can go through. Sorry it's worse than anything.

I haven't lost a child, but I know people who have.

When something really bad happens in your life, take comfort that it didn't include that (if it didn't).

I've been through everything bar that, I think.

When the next horrendous thing happens, just shrug and think to yourself, "well, at least it wasn't that!"

1. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image74

I do agree nothing can touch death for the pain.  Losing a child is something that I believe I would never get over.

2. Friendlyword profile image60
      Friendlywordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for putting our lives in perspective. I have to say; next to what I went through, losing a child is the worst thing that can happen to you.

12. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 12 years ago

Thanks, you guys! I have to give a shout out to my hubpages family. The out pouring of love that we felt as I and my family went through this is really what makes this site. Yes there are problems right now, but honestly what family doesn't have its share of problems. Blessings to you all for a prosperous life here at hubpages and in your own personal lives.

13. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I had my worst year between 1997 and 1998. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in April of 1997, my mother was diagnosed with a brain tumour in December of 1997, and my cat was diagnosed with liver cancer during the summer of 1997.

I survived, my mother died in February of 1998, and my cat had to be put down about July of 1998.

Condolences UW, for both, family and pet. I'm glad you're here to talk about it though. smile

2. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image74

Sorry to hear that cancer had you and your family, including your cat, in it's grip.  Sorry to hear about the death of your mother and your cat.

3. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Eeek! Like you, I have had a couple of "bad years" - probably my worst one was 1993 - 1994.  In mid-1993 I lost my job under very unsettling circumstances (which were partially self-inflicted - doesn't make it any easier though!).  I landed another job later on that year, which would have involved moving abroad.  However, that Christmas my mother was struck down by a viral infection of the brain which meant she had to live in residential care for the rest of her life.  So my live-and-work-abroad dream had to go on hold (and it still is on hold).  Then in mid-1994 my mum's cat, whom I'd been looking after, died of kidney failure.

14. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

There are no "worst days"!  Merely bad events which happen to fall on those innocent earth orbits and make us remember them  more distinctly.  Just look around a bit and you will find others with more trouble than yourself.  smile

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I couldn't agree with you more. smile

2. profile image0

Randy, that comes very close to something my mother told me once.  Probably wasn't her gem originally, but it's always something I've held near and dear - If we had everyone in the world throw their problems into a pile, how fast do you think we'd scramble to get our own back?

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't mean to demean anyone's tragedies, there's enough to go around.  A hurting heart is not always caused by one's own immediate woes.  If one is truly human, that is!  smile

2. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your mother was wise.

1. profile image0

Very wise, Izzy.  smile

3. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image74

Randy,
      I've said it before and I'll say it again, someone somewhere is always worse off than you are.

Motown,
      I will take my problems anyday.  You mother is a very wise woman.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It sounds so simple, KKG!  It is really, but unfortunately, or fortunately, depending how you view it, we are ONLY human! smile

15. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Do you know what I hate the most about the passage of time, is that the sayings our moms or our grandmoms passed down to use will be lost forever.

On a side note, my own granny told me the best cure for Athlete's foot was a dip in the Atlantic Ocean.

She was a qualified doctor - old school of course.

I wish she were alive today. Her wisdom could have taught us all something new.

btw, all this modern technology tells us the seas are laden with potassium (well not laden as such, but certainly have enough to improve conditions like Athlete's foot).

Google it.

1. profile image0

I pass on as much wisdom as I can from my mom, Izzy.  But some of it was a little too - err - colorful for publication here at HubPages. wink  My parents were fascinating people.  smile  I am going to have to check out the information about ocean water and potassium.

16. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 12 years ago

My worst day was not that bad in retrospect. My boyfriend dumped me, okay, it happens everyday, but for me I was devestated. I was looking forward to marriage and children. It never happened and I never heard from him again.  I guess when I look back on it though, I was hurt because he said he never loved me which made me feel like a fool for not realizing it. I wasted my time, energy, and what I thought was love on a man who said he never loved me.  Since that was my only shot at children it cut really deep but that day was nothing compared to others here.  My heart goes out to all who have lost loved ones, that to me has to be the worst. I did loose my grandparents and it hurt but they were so sick that it was almost a relief that they were not suffering anymore so I did not catagorize that as a worst day.

Bless you all and I hope you have many more good days and very few bad days.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60

Diane - that truly would have been devastating...you wanted children...that's a tough reality isn't it?...that cuts deep to the heart and soul.....and i hope you have more good days too!

17. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 12 years ago

Thanks someway it was hurt but I lived through it, unlike some who may not be so lucky. So I try to stay positive. And the good days do outweigh the bad days so I have no right to complain.

This is an interesting post, really makes one put things in prospective.

18. Debby Bruck profile image65
    Debby Bruckposted 12 years ago

When I got the call my daughter was in an automobile accident. Horrific.

19. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Lots of amazing stories here bring home the need to love ourselves and each other every day we have.

"Love is a doing thing" Enjoy each moment to the max. smile

20. Robot kid profile image58
    Robot kidposted 12 years ago

I currently live in Israel and its a pain in the shifter to get around as it is on a bus. Dont even try to ask people where Rehov Yafo is cause they have no idea. So today I took the wrong bus to work and I was asking everyone where the street was and I got a fist full of dirty looks and random hebrew. I'm also starving to death and everything is closed cause Israelis wont open shop till about 1030 (bummer). Eventually I got to work writing this even though i should be doing something productive but this seems to buy me time before monday.

21. thefundu profile image57
    thefunduposted 12 years ago

The worst day was leaving the college and getting stuck to work. Now no time for enjoyment and fun...the college life is I guess the best part of everyone's life. We explore, we enjoy and we live actually.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)