Do you think Google Adsense is way over rated?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. stuff4you profile image57
    stuff4youposted 12 years ago

Considering that most people make less than $5 a day with it, I think it basically is.

I understand that it has much more potential than that, but if someone wanted to make a living off of Google Adsense alone they would need tons of content and it would have to be very good content.

Tons of people know about Google Adsense because its through Google. People joined in the first place because they like the idea of passive income, and then a lot of people probably wonder why they aren't really making much, often times they won't really make anything with it and they might resort to clicking their own ads.

Some people might even join in the first place with intentions of clicking their own ads.

Google has become notoriously hypersensitive about canceling accounts because they suspect that you're committing fraud.

Do you think this will get better over time?

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yep, I reakon its over-rated.  I've accumulated around $50 in 10 months for around 50 hubs.  Hubby has just put a website up & used some 'free' google ad promotion - an email came back saying 741 ads went up with zero clicks

2. Shil1978 profile image86
      Shil1978posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, it is not. I guess most people feel that way because they don't earn much with GA. To earn significant amounts with GA, you need to put in a lot of effort. Now, that does not mean - most don't. Perhaps, I should have said focused effort, i.e. focus on a certain niche or keywords. HubPages is a wonderful platform that allows non-tech folks to earn through GA, but having a website of your own is a must IMHO.

There are optimization tips that you can find at AdSense Blog and AdSense Help and other forums that, personally, I've found very helpful in increasing my AdSense revenue. Of course, these would help with your own blogs or sites as you have control over how you use AdSense.

There is no secret formula - patience, persistence and constant learning is what one really requires to make AdSense work for you. And - I would never think of making a living off revenue-sharing or through affiliate programs like GA. It can at best be an addition to other income opportunities - you can't live off it certainly - or at least most people can't.

1. sofs profile image76
        sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well said!!  Thanks for the tips, I am going to look them up.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is not overrated, but it takes a lot of patience and learning to earn from adsense. Some of my hubs earn without me doing nothing, while some of it I did research for keywords - it earned more in the long run specially those with backlinks.  When they change formula for ranking, you need to do a "shift" just like what you do when you drive.

2. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

You can put a ton of articles up, trust me I know, and it will do damn all in helping you earn money.
    You have to write articles that are keyword orientated towards what the searchers are looking for.
    Even with that, there is a trick that I have not yet learned that makes searchers click on your ads.
    Out of...what is it?...460 hubs, at least 400 of them are redundant, because people aren't searching for that info.
    Of the remaining 60, they get hits and no clicks because basically I don't understand what makes people click.
    I have one hub that gets clicks, and no I'm not saying which one. I don't understand it myself.

1. profile image0

I get hardly any clicks even from my most visited hubs

1. IzzyM profile image88
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Especially since Panda?

1. profile image0

yes.

1. IzzyM profile image88

Join the club sad

1. profile image0

well, actually, I'm getting the usual 100-150 views a day, but I've written a stack of hubs since, so technically my traffic has gone down per hub

3. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 12 years ago

98% of people that sign up for Adsense never understand how to use it and make a few cents a day.

The other 2% make anywhere from 50 bucks to over a thousand a day. Yes I know a guy who makes over 1K a day and has proven it.

It's very simple really. Like anything else, making money from adsense takes an understanding of it. If you don't understand it your not going to make anything.

If you do understand it, there is no limit at all how much you can make. I'm in the middle somewhere. big_smile

Edit: I'm talking about people who use it in their own sites, not Hubpages.

1. IzzyM profile image88

Well Bill you are way ahead of me. Care to share?

1. Bill Manning profile image68
        Bill Manningposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Care to share? No I don't mind sharing, I do it a lot on here. The trouble is, it's not something you can just say "do this, then this, and finally this and you'll make 100 bucks a day".  hmm

Everyone has to find out what works for them. What works great for one person could be crap for someone else. Sure there are basics, which is something you learn over time.

This stuff is not something you can just write in a forum and it will work for everyone. I'm still learning new things everyday and using everything I learn each day.

It's like a musician, you can't just tell someone how to play the piano. You have to learn a bit all the time and work out your own way of doing it. smile

1. IzzyM profile image88

So what you are saying is, you don't know.
          I have already said that the secret of getting adsense clicks is just that, a secret.
          Getting the viewers is the first step...

1. Bill Manning profile image68
            Bill Manningposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol

OK I had that coming. Sorry, it's just that a lot of people have emailed me about what the secret is and it's getting annoying.

There is no secret, really. It's a combination of all the little things you learn over a long period of time. That is why nobody can just tell you everything you need to know.

It's like asking a mechanic to spend an afternoon telling you everything he knows, then expecting to be a quality mechanic that night. You just can't do it.

You need to know how to make a site rank well for the niche your going after.

Then know how to make articles that make people click.

Placing the ads where they will click.

Using the right theme that will show the ads in the right place.

Knowing what ad blocks are best and where to put them.

Know how to get traffic, the biggest thing of all, as you said.

Getting quality traffic, not just any traffic.

And on and on,,,, it's a lot of work, simple as that.

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

No, I don't think Google Adsense is over-rated.

5. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

Google adsense has become the Ebay of search engines. it's doing what Ebay did to their long time users-changing the rules after everyone has helped to build them up...or maybe that is whats happening to Hubpages also?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)