What have you done to recover from the panda update?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (50 posts)
  1. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
    Ultimate Hubberposted 12 years ago

I am working on my websites, adding content and trying to get them rank high in Google.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pretty much the same story here. I am going a bit better but recovery seems very slow. smile

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

my hubs are getting a spring clean - removing any rss feeds, useless tags, been unlinking ready to split some long hubs.  Not sure if co-incidence, but traffic has doubled since done that

1. Debby Bruck profile image66
        Debby Bruckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Please help us understand this methodology.
        Is it important to remove RSS feeds? why?
        How does one split a hub, if the content has already been posted, then won't it be flagged?
        Any other ideas will be helpful
        thanks so very much
        Debby

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I have eliminated all my useless, non-traffic generated hubs. The sales hubs I did have are also gone, due to lack of productivity.

I've fine tuned my keywords on many hubs, so as to make them more targeted to search terms. wink

1. Andrew0208 profile image57
      Andrew0208posted 12 years agoin reply to this

@Cagsil, how could any of those hubs be useless? The Panda has not yet settled, A lot of changes indeed. Many SEO techniques seem to have been floored by Google new algorithm. But believe me, quality content will always stand after all these dance and worrisome hits. I've also refused to be worried about the Monopoly of Google where the seem to put writers and publishers in the dark. We rather put on the light to see well. smile cool

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Andrew, there is no need for the "@" when replying to my post. By replying to my post, you are addressing me. Secondly, the hubs that were useless, were non-traffic generating . I would have figured you would have understood that. If there were no traffic before the Panda change, then there was no reason to continue to have faith that anything would change after Panda.
        There actually isn't any evidence in your statement. White hat, Black hat and Gray hat? Please clarify which you think were floored.
        Quality content all by itself isn't good enough, and to think it is, is ridiculous.
        Many people are not in the dark about it and Some are. As for not worrying about the "Monopoly" of Google? Good for you.

Less traffic ought not to make them useless, anyway it's your noble choice to eliminate them. Similar Pandas' have come and gone in years past. We've taken and applied stipulated measures by Google and HubPages Team yet the traffic is about to go up as we all have expected it till now. I'm also pretty sure of HubPages bouncing back to her Super High web traffic status soonest. No one is actually kept in the dark about this, but we have seen so much worries about this usual google panda across the online communities globally. I realy cease to Google panda nor thinker more on my hubs. HaPPy Hubbing!

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Traffic = Readers = Earnings? No traffic = No Readers = No Earnings. Thus, making them USELESS.

smile

3. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

huh?

earnest, confused again hmm:

Me too baby! Me too! smile

4. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

Since Panda......well, still writing, just only posting humorous hubs instead of the ones I had planned.
    I mean, if I will not get the traffic I am seeking for the hubs I had planned, I will either hire someone to help me build a website or search until I find a place I can receive the traffic and some income from.
    I have hubs that do OK here and will continue with those type of hubs and maybe more fun hubs. When I do build a website, there are quite a few hubs I will move there of course.

I like the idea of fun hubs.

I try my hand at one fairly regularly just to enjoy being a bit silly, and ignore the idea of making money from them.
      Funny thing is, some of these un-key worded silly hubs work to bring in income! smile

1. Michael Willis profile image67
        Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They are fun to write as well. More freedom with creativity. Let off stress.
        I like to let the imagination run wild with fun writing.

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
      Ultimate Hubberposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You don't need to hire someone to make a website for you. Buy hosting from a host that provides one-click install of wordpress and the rest is pretty much like hubbing. And I am personally not in favor of moving hubs, you should write new fresh stuff for your website.

1. Michael Willis profile image67
        Michael Willisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I only mentioned hiring someone so I could get the site up, optimized for SEO and Earnings quicker than going the learn-as-you-go-route.
        There are a lot of hubs I would not move from here. I enjoy writing here and the people I have gotten to know.
        Just would place more emphasis on certain niche on a web and only move those Hubs that would fit the web better-money wise.

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 12 years ago

I doubled up on my Prozac! Kidding. I don't take Prozac, but maybe I should. lol

6. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I have been on a flagging and complaining spree.

Well thank you on behalf of all writers who write. Good stuff! smile

7. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

lots of vegetable oil :p

1. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not going to even ask what you're doing with the veg oil! lol

8. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years ago

I think hp may be onto something with regard to podcasts... Also, changed direction. Ebooks and a website that could possibly work.

Ebook is a great idea!

9. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

Done something long overdue - woken up and smelled the coffee about my own personal future as regards earning a living online, and made appropriate plans.  I've realised that I don't want to entrust any more of my writing to a third party than I already have done (no offence, HP), and that I'm not cut out to be a stand-alone SEO guru/webmaster.  Hence I will be concentrating the bulk of my efforts on earning via sites like Elance. 

I don't plan to take down more than a few of my hubs (unless the goalposts get moved yet again in an unpleasant enough way), and I do have a couple of my own sites that I'm developing, but I now realise that my hubs and my own sites together will never do more than earn beer money for me, and act as an online CV.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Empress, you sound like Panda has been good for you, in a crazy kind of way!

I realized long ago that I wasn't comfortable playing all the games required of a SEO guru/webmaster.  That's why I went back to the real working world, although I'm still trying to find my niche.  Best of luck with your new direction1

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you're so right about Panda having been good for me - although I didn't think so when it first hit LOL.

I totally agree with you about the SEO games.  Much as I slagged PCunix off about his "whiter-than-white" attitude to SEO, I do think he had a point about the way in which SEO practices like non-organic backlinking and article spinning lessen the quality of Internet searching for normal users. 

When I do an Internet search myself, I can tell straight away whether the keywords I've used are high paying ones in Adsense terms - all you find at the top of the SERPs are dodgy blogs/content farm articles!  Of course, the ultimate culprit in this is (whisper it low) Google Adsense itself.  People wouldn't attempt to game a system if the system didn't exist in the first place.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image69
          Peter Hogganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

With all due respect to PCunix, he was absent from the forums for quite some time, the reason was he was trying to fix his site after the ravages of Panda. I do believe that PCunix practices what he preaches and therefore believe the problems he encountered had nothing to do with linking. 

In contrast, I have sites of my own which receive regular links none of them were negatively affected by Panda, in fact some improved significantly.

IMO,Panda has changed nothing as far as backlinking is concerned. What worked before works today. However, the quality of your content and where you place it are more important than ever.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
            PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe that PC Unix's criticism of dodgy SEO came before the second round of panda, when his personal website was hammered.  I wonder if he will be a little more flexible now in his approach?  hehe!

To be fair to him, I believe that his main criticism was against out and out black hat SEO techniques, rather than backlink generation which is more grey hat than black hat - although google will ignore artificially generated backlinks if dicoverd, they really pan websites that use underhand technical methods with sanctions.

1. lrohner profile image68
              lrohnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I didn't have a problem with his criticism of "dodgy SEO." It was his definition of it that I disagreed with. smile

Yep, totally agree with that.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
                  PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Could I ask what do you mean in your first reply by "where you place it" in regard to content, Peter?

I think putting new content on sites that have been damaged by Panda might not be the best strategy. Not only will it be difficult to get rankings and traffic, any links from these documents are probably going to be devalued somewhat as well.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Paul, PCUnix was against any kind of non-organic backlinking.  He felt that creating your own backlinks was unethical, and you should rely on your reputation to create them organically.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

You and I obviously think very much alike!  I also "had a go" at PCUnix because he was too black-and-white for me, but I also couldn't bring myself to get involved in the backlinking and spinning games, which create so much cr@p on the internet.

So true!

10. Peter Owen profile image60
    Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

I have read many articles on what needs to be done to hubs to respond to Panda, but all of them appear to be very  general. Are there any good sources that will give specific pointers on how hubs should be edited to get google rank back up?

Hubpages and other content farms have lost their rank after the panda update, IMO. I don't think you can get much out of it by tweaking.

11. daybreak profile image79
    daybreakposted 12 years ago

I took time off from HP for several weeks and worked on owned sites, which seems to be paying off.

Those of us that have small to mid-sized niche sites or blogs could benefit from panda.

Although I lost most of my Google traffic, I have noticed some recent traffic from Bing on several hubs, which is encouraging.

Recently, I have done some common sense updating to hubs and am continuing to interlink where ever possible.

As usual, diversification seems to be a good practice.

12. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 12 years ago

Absolutely nothing. It seems to be working. smile

1. WoodsmensPost profile image63
      WoodsmensPostposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That makes two of us; maybe we should start a group named
      "Negative Panda Effect"!! Motto: You can run, but we can't hide hmm

2. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Same here. All the stuff about quality matters appears to be nonsense.
      The hit on hubpages has been universal. There is no signs of recovery. [http://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com].
      I have shifted my focus to my own sites.

1. janderson99 profile image54

PS Having a lot of fun on Webanswers.com

1. Cyber Scribe profile image72
          Cyber Scribeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just not earning any money from it!

1. janderson99 profile image54

Sure! But the posts are shorter and you waste less time!

13. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 12 years ago

I am working through the five stages of grief.

Denial
    Anger
    Bargaining
    Depression
    Acceptance - post-Panda seems to be the new paradigm.  It has given me the kick-in-the-rear to set up my own sites and move on.

14. Cyber Scribe profile image72
    Cyber Scribeposted 12 years ago
  15. suziecat7 profile image78
    suziecat7posted 12 years ago

Working on my websites but still Hubbing. I have an addictive personality.

16. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Trying to get my websites ranking higher..I'm ranking 8th on page one of Google for a 22,000 a month keyword, need to get higher

17. viryabo profile image95
    viryaboposted 12 years ago

Nothing much. Amended six hubs that had the amazon/fifty words issue. That's all.
    I'm however slowing down on writing new hubs until it all blows over (if it ever will).

18. Wayne K. WIlkins profile image64
    Wayne K. WIlkinsposted 12 years ago

Google has completely ravaged my earnings. I was peaking at almost ten dollars a day in revenue on my main writing website and am now down to less than two dollars. Trying my best to recover but sadly, things are looking pretty grim right now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)