I dont share my hubs on Facebook...

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (21 posts)
  1. b4murray profile image80
    b4murrayposted 12 years ago

I have never shared hubs on FB, because I havent told friends and family that I like to write. And I am a bit embarassed, not sure why probably b/c I dont have much confidence in my writing ability.

But Should I because I am to increase my traffic, and FB might help.

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Aww...just go for it! Bet your friends and family will be thrilled, and they can really help you increase your views if they share your stuff with other friends!

2. Richieb799 profile image75
      Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I understand how you feel B4, I often include private things in my hubs and once a work college found out about my Hubpages page and was nosing all the time hmm

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You will probably find that your friends and family enjoy reading your hubs. It gives you a chance to show them a part of you they may not see. Publishing your writing is something to be proud of. smile
      And yes, it can give a boost to traffic! Sometimes they may post it on their feed and 'Like' it.

I love your 'Boston Accent' hub! My second favorite city and accent. big_smile

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

You could start another FB fan page under a pen name to promote hubs etc?

1. b4murray profile image80
      b4murrayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! that could be an idea

3. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

FB does not permit that. You have to use your real name. You can start up a page for a business. I suppose, you could use a pen name for that, but the page would be associated with your main FB profile.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You have to use your real name for a Facebook account, but a pen name, company or fictional character can have Facebook "page": http://www.facebook.com/pages/browser.php

4. Julie2 profile image60
    Julie2posted 12 years ago

I was the same way with my writing b4murray. I only invited a few of my "friends" to read them by emailing them the link to my article or story. Then I said, "Why should I have to hide ME?" I took a deep breath and I started to post my link on my FB page.

Haven't heard anything from anyone negative yet so...

5. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

Why are you concerned, your writing is good and to the point, plus your style is easy to read. Facebook will help you with back linking as well as to bring in visitors.

6. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

Also, your profile score is at 93, which is high and tells something about your writing style. You've earned that score so there is nothing to worry in regards to your writing.

7. b4murray profile image80

Thanks for all the replies... Maybe I will consider posting on FB.

Dont know what my friends will think that I was writing an article about Lindsay Lohan, instead of Job Hunting though LOL

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just read your hub about being a twin, and you are an amazing young woman. Your writing style is perfect. I see a bright future ahead of you in this line of work. Tell your friends; be proud of who you are and your abilities. I'm off to fan you smile

8. theherbivorehippi profile image64
    theherbivorehippiposted 12 years ago

I don't share my hubs on Facebook.  I've just always had the desire to keep the two separate.  My friends on Facebook I'm sure get aggravated enough with me for constantly posting petitions and such to sign (animal rights, environmental, etc.) that I think bombarding everyone with my hubs too would just be too much.

9. b4murray profile image80

HMMMM...Thanks all must take a break from hubpages... Must sign out

This place can be addicting. Thanks for the helpful comments Izzy M and everyone!

10. Alastar Packer profile image72
    Alastar Packerposted 12 years ago

IzzyM and Luis are right b4. Your friends will surprise you with their enthusiasm. You may want to make clear at the top of your Hubs that you would appreciate it if they would comment and vote on the site instead of commenting on FB.

11. SueShepard profile image60
    SueShepardposted 12 years ago

I don't share on FB either. I have only told two people that I have this page. I'm so sensitive to criticism from people who know me. I can take it from strangers.

1. SueShepard profile image60
      SueShepardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

oops, two people that I let know...

12. Debby Bruck profile image65
    Debby Bruckposted 12 years ago

Everyone has given good replies. Sounds like a balancing act between sharing your private talent with family and friends who know you in, perhaps, another way. Showing them a new part of yourself may be intimidating. Your ratings are high and everyone loves your writing style. At some point, you will most likely feel ready to open up and share. Blessings, Debby

13. cheerfulnuts profile image60
    cheerfulnutsposted 12 years ago

I don't post links to my hubs on FB, too. I'm a very private person. I want to have a place where I can freely share my thoughts, my knowledge, my feelings, and my experiences. The thought of someone I know reading my hubs makes me uncomfortable. I want to be myself here and write whatever I want to write without being too conscious about revealing some things that are too personal. But who knows, if I became famous, I might share my hubs to everyone I know LOL.
    -cheerfulnuts

14. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I travel in circles in which I'm the only one for whom writing is an interest.  As a result, it's been made pretty clear to me that writing is "my thing", and "nobody else's thing".   mad   lol  I'm under the impression I couldn't get anyone to read stuff if I paid them (or course, I tell myself there's always the possibility I'm under the wrong impression  roll).  In fairness, maybe, because I do write "for hire", people just kind of think of all my writing as my "work" (and I can't say I'm interested in too much info about other people's work life either).

Anyway, here are some of the more common "ones" I get if I mention writing in my spare time:

"I have to ask my husband to teach me how to use the computer."  lol  (That's an older friend or two that I have.  Not sure if I buy it.  lol  )

"I work at a computer all day, so I don't go on it when I'm home - except to check e.mail."  (I buy that one.)

"I don't have access to the Internet right now."   (I only buy this one from one person - not all who make that particular claim.  lol )

"I don't have a computer that works right now."   (Call me, "paranoid," but I can't say I tend to buy this one from too many people either.  lol)

"It's nice that you have that and enjoy doing it."  (No signs of wanting to know more.)   lol

The classic:  "I don't really read stuff on the Internet."   roll  lol  The other version of this one is, "I don't read anything."  (and this might seem to true, coming from some people - but not from the people who happen to say it to me.  They're just people who don't read anything not in their own area of interest - and what I write, of course, couldn't possibly be of interest to them   roll ).

And then there's the message that has come in one form of another but that is essentially:  "It's nice that you like to write.  Anyone can write.  Think of all the people who don't know anything special, and don't have anything particularly worthy of publication, and who have books out there. Since you do write well (a few people have given me that much on occasion roll), there's no reason you can't/shouldn't do what all those other people, who don't have anything particularly worthy of publication, do too ."   lol   roll

Of course, there have been times when I've suspected that one person or another may have read something and not admitted to it.  lol  Then again, maybe I'm just making that up.   roll

The one and only thing anyone has ever admitted to having read (and even said they liked and that I ought to write more of) (ironically) is the stupid little verses/poems I write on a whim (and instead of challenging myself with something like crossword puzzles) - and that mean nothing to me whatsoever.

It's not as pathetic at is all sounds:  Nobody pays much attention to anything I say in person either.  It irks me, but I'm used to it at this stage in the game.  If anyone knew how bad it is he'd probably find it bad to the point that it's kind of hilarious.   lol  roll  In all seriousness, I have no doubt that most people in my personal life think I could be far more successful with writing than I am, and I have no doubt some of them might even think I will be one at one point.  So it isn't as if I don't have "support" from people.  It's just that people aren't interested in what I have to say, write, think if it isn't about them.   lol

(See...   this is why there are things like writing communities, sites, and organizations for "like-minded" people.   lol  )  (Remind me to finally write that Hub I've always wanted to write about how some women will always be seen as "someone's little girl", "someone's girlfriend or wife", "someone's middle-aged aged mother", "someone's fluffy-and-airy-headed little friend", etc. etc.   mad )  Of course, the good side to things is that I'm someone who's used to the idea that if I write there's a good chance nobody is interested - so I write for my own enjoyment, say what I have to say, and post the stuff with the idea that "it's there, if anybody feels like reading it they can".

It all seemed particularly clear last week when I learned that one cousin didn't know that another cousin died last February.  My niece has done a lot of work on our whole family thing on Geni.  So I have an account there, and all the cousins and whoever else can see everyone else's profile.  There's a place where people can post little news items.  I don't spend a lot of time on there, but when I heard the cousin died last year I did post a little thing "in case anyone hasn't heard".  It's kind of one of the few things I have on my profile, so I'd think if anyone looked at it they would have seen it.  Also, I'd think if one person looked and saw it they might then let anyone else who hadn't seen it know.  Nothing!   lol  That little bit of "death news" has been on my Geni profile since last year, and apparently NOBODY saw it!  I give up!   mad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)