What is one thing you do not like about the forums and can do without?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (29 posts)
  1. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I have the forum filter and block certain forums. I also block specific threads from forums I can see, if they get too obnoxious, which recently have been a few.

Forums attract many kinds of people. I don't spend as much time here as before because of other priorities. The biggest thing that causes me to block a thread is arrogance, the 'know it all's. Everyone has an opinion, and however long someone has been here doesn't give them special privilege to be rude, or to expect a special voice in the forums. But I don't let it bother me, it's human nature. I just ignore it or block it or say what I want to say. tongue

1. Julie2 profile image61
      Julie2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know how to block the ones I don't want to see.. You're right it is human nature but sometimes it gets really bad. Sometimes I think it would be better if we could respond to each other thru video so that things wouldn't be taken out of context, by actually seeing the persons face we would know if they were joking or serious when responding..

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

The religious forums.  I need to learn enough self-control to ignore those posts.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've got the self-control because I have absolutely no interest in reading them, but sometimes I can't find a decent thread to read because there are so many of them.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

What is the one thing you do not like about the forums and can do without? People starting threads like this would be nice to see go.

It insinuates that there is something wrong with the forums, yet there isn't anything wrong with them to begin with.

Political and Religion debates and arguing has last centuries. Why? Because both are used to control the masses, while others do as they please.

Politics is hypocritical. Religion is a dictatorship under the guise of a mythical unproven god.

Both are damaging to society and the overall survival of the human species.

I don't find anything wrong with the forums as they are. You are welcome to any thread you choose to engage in. You have your right to voice your opinions about anything you like. Just like you have in this thread, to begin with. Yes, it would be nice if things didn't result in insults, but an insult itself is subjective to the individual.

Almost anyone can find and rationalize being offended, even if it was true to begin with, especially in an online forum.

The only way to find out if someone is truthful, is to engage them in conversation and remember the conversation had, so you can use their own words against them, to prove a point. In some cases, people will evaluate what happened later and actually see that they were wrong in that specific instant. It happens, I know, I've lived through it and experience others who have come back to me to apologize.

Either way, good luck with your thread. hmm

WoW, thanks! I find that there is a problem when so many get rather upset and like I said before nasty over the simplest of things. Sorry for asking a question Cagsil damn. This is why I'd just rather stay away as I did before and not even try to interact. It wasn't my intention to upset you.

My reasoning is that if there are disagreements there are ways to voice them in such a manner that does not make the person feel like an ass the way I feel right now.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had nothing against you opening this thread. You had no reason to delete the OP. I get tired of people complaining about other people being insulted.

If you are insulted, then report the person. There is a remote possibility that some other hubber would report it, if they seriously believed it was an insult.

That is why I said, insults are subjective to the individual. You took offense in my post. Why? It wasn't anything against you as a person. You asked about the forums. You gave an example of people insults.

People are banned for some of the silliest stuff. You can get banned for calling someone "ignorant". What the truth of the matter is all human beings are ignorant, in some way, shape or form. So, it cannot be an insult. I realize truth hurts, but so does accepting it.

I don't want anyone to be reported or even banned.. Thats not the reason why I would ask this. I did take it personal Cags, SORRY, I wasn't having a good day... and you have been nothing but great with me in the past. So I doubly apologize...

You are absolutely right, something I need to accept. We are all ignorant to a level. That is why I like to come to the forums to see alot of you and ask you guys questions about things I don't know that you may be familiar with. It makes me feel good to see so many want to be helpful.

Then there are some that seem to be sarcastic when a question is asked. It can be intimidating at times.

2. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I pretty much don't mind much of anything that goes on.  Some stuff I like better than other, but I see it all as just part of the deal with forums.  I could do without the unrelenting parade of new religious threads, and once in a while I get kind of irked to see yet more - but getting irked is going to happen.

In a way, I'd like to see more people have more to say (but say it in the spirit of having a conversation/discussion).  It's sometimes so clear that because people have different personalities and preferences, there's a lot of misinterpreting one thing or another that goes on.  You'll have one person who enjoys "healthy debate" (I'm that one), but then someone else may see debate as "arguing" or "negativity".    You'll have one person who'd like to have a real conversation get going, but then someone else will think "real discussions" should be reserved for Hub-writing.   It's kind of funny (but also not funny  hmm) that pretty much whoever does/says whatever is going to irk someone else.  lol

Julie2, I think this is a good conversation/thread to start.  One thing I like about the forums is getting the chance to see how differently everyone can think about things, or approach things.  I'd like to see another hundred thousand (or however many) Hubbers start participating in the forums (but only if they try not to be rude  smile ).  They'd be so much more interesting.   smile

That is the point I was trying to make Lisa. I love healthy debate as much as the next person. Its when the name calling comes into play that I think it gets out of hand. I would love for the rudeness to be brought down a few levels. Sometimes I feel like I'm in High School all over again with the things I see people write to each other.

Oh my goodness, I think I sound like a flower child! big_smile

3. profile image62
        logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Julie,

Hope you stick around.  You are one of the few that makes the forums interesting. smile

4. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't feel that way, as you didn't do anything wrong.  You had something on your mind, and you spoke openly about it.  Besides, you can't control what a few bad eggs say about you.  Besides, it seems like we rarely ever see you in forums these days, as I know a lot of us would love to see you more, as you're probably one of the nicest people here.

5. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nice to see some supportive voices - that is what forums should be about.  Plus a bit of banter of course, but the "other stuff" is needless.  Problem is forums end up being ruled by Kings and Queens - no different to the school playground.

Still, once you learn who is who and where they are coming from - at least you can ignore it.  Oh, it's so and so - they always have a go at me.  Means nothing.

I know Mark, its like you have to make a list of names of the people you need to stay away from. sad

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Some forums either don't cover those areas or moderate them more.  There are options.

5. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 12 years ago

I can't think of anything that I don't like but I can say that I do appreciate the fact that there are some people here who despite the fact that I completely disagree with them, They are still decent people to talk to. One example would be Ernesthub, nice guy.

It is really good to find hubbers that will be nice and actually lend a hand if you have any questions. Or even those you can just BS with about anything...

2. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love having discussions with someone who thinks differently than I do.  It's not very interesting or challenging to only be in conversations with people who "all agree".  Not everyone (shall we say) "appreciates" those differences very much, though.   smile

3. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! smile We have had a few disagreements, and flat out don't agree on religion, but like a few others I disagree with here, you are not a bad guy either. I see through beliefs to the person behind them as you do.
      I have seen your good side on many threads. smile

This is what its all about, artists that can disagree to the depths with the right choice of words! LOL and still be ok with each other at the end of the day. I like that...

6. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

I could do without the people who pop in and ask for advice and then argue against all the good advice that is given to them.  Either they want people's opinions and help or they don't, but don't ask for help and then give a dozen reasons why they can't accept the advice that is offered or why they are trapped, everything is hopeless, and nothing will ever change. It's very frustrating when they have already closed their minds and made their decision. What's the point?

That does suck and it can be frustrating. I asked a question I think it was last week about starting my own web page to sell my paintings and I have gotten so much feed back from great hubbers. I got my notebook out, wrote down all of the names of this and that they suggested I look into or use and I have been doing my research on all of them.

Why would I come back and tell them thanks for sharing but no thanks. It doesn't make sense. I can see your frustartion in that Disturbia.

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Julie, you have to use Edweirdo's forum filter add on for Firefox or Chrome. It's very easy to use. And he now has an update which enables you to block any thread with a click.
    You can check out his profile and the link is there.

Human nature has flaws.. but yes, you're right, sometimes the anonymity allows people to say what they would never say face to face. That can be seen on any given day here in Political/Religious forums, and lately in some of the HP related forums.

I see your response here,
    And you didn't upset him. We are all 100% responsible for our reactions/responses. He chose to respond in the way he did. It has nothing to do with you.

Thanks rebekahELLE. I'll look into that.

8. Debby Bruck profile image66
    Debby Bruckposted 12 years ago

Did someone answer the question how to block a thread? Most of my time in the community reading other hubpages and writing new ones, leaves little time to pop over to the Forums. Seems like if I steer clear of any unappealing subjects I won't have any problems.

I'm not familiar enough with the mechanisms to say if there could be improvement with how the Forums function, particularly. Great to have threaded replies, preview and formatting available.

9. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

"What is one thing you do not like about the forums and can do without?"

That HP does not invest the lousy one-week programmer time to implement filter capabilities.

Ohhhh sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)