Maternity Clothes or Bigger Sizes?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)
  1. ThePracticalMommy profile image88
    ThePracticalMommyposted 12 years ago

Upon the showing of your baby bump,did you buy clothing at a maternity clothing store or department and buy the latest maternity styles or did you buy regular clothing in bigger sizes?

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

depends on how big you get, your budget & whether you want to look pregnant or overweight.   I never buy anything in the latest styles.
      I like wearing pants.  I got a great pair of maternity pants at a sale that I could let out gradually.
      My mother whipped me up some things that had elasticized waist that could be let out - use an elastic that has button holes in it so can adjust.
      Be aware that most people get bigger up top too, so may need larger size than before while pregnant & breastfeeding

2. Monisajda profile image62
    Monisajdaposted 12 years ago

I am frugal so I bought some sale items in larger sizes and it actually looked great on me. Pregnancy clothing is on average more expensive. I was also lucky to receive used pregnancy clothes from my playgroup friends.

3. xanzacow profile image59
    xanzacowposted 12 years ago

I shopped the thrift stores. Amazing what you can find in there! I must say, I bought both maternity and larger sizes.

4. tasksgirl profile image60
    tasksgirlposted 12 years ago

I don't think larger sizes would work for me, I am 16 weeks and not really showing yet but my jeans were already getting way too tight and I am very petite and short so I actually had to buy XS Petite maternity jeans! lol  if I tried to buy bigger sizes of jeans I would probably just look ridiculous tongue

That said I don't think I will be buying many maternity shirts or any more jeans or pants.. maybe just a few.. they are so expensive.

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

I found some awesome extenders for my jeans and wore them all the way to the end. Basically one end goes around the button and the other end has a button to go in the hole, plus a piece of cloth to hang down and cover the zip area.

And I went clothes shopping and found lots of tops that were flowy and hung down. That and long loose dresses.

6. ThePracticalMommy profile image88
    ThePracticalMommyposted 12 years ago

Maternity clothes are so expensive, aren't they? I like some of your ideas about sharing with other mommies, buying from thrift stores and finding ways to make regular clothing last longer. Thanks for responding! Any other ideas out there?

1. profile image0

I got a fabulous sleeveless dress in knit-sweatshirt material from 2nd hand shop.  It stretched comfortably to fit, then I wore it afterwards too.  I was out with my hubby (post pregnancy) and these guys in a car called out 'Hey lady in the black & white striped dress!'

7. Lupozee profile image61
    Lupozeeposted 12 years ago

Due to the fact that i was only a bump and hadnt put any weight on my upper body i managed to fit into my size 8 dresses but as the bump got bigger i bought size 8 dresses but the baggy ones that way after the baby i could still wear them.  Plus maternity clothes didnt make me feel pretty so i only bought maternity jeans.

enjoy your pregnancy smile

8. workingmomwm profile image81
    workingmomwmposted 12 years ago

I never really had to buy maternity clothes. I bought one pair of jeans and one pair of pants at a thrift store for my first pregnancy because I didn't know better. I never really even got that big. People at work didn't know I was pregnant until I went back after maternity leave and they said, "Wow! You've lost a lot of weight." Um, yeah. Had a baby!

Lifelong weight struggles meant I already had regular clothes in a variety of sizes. And having a mother with major body issues helped, too. She always thinks she and everyone else is bigger than they actually are, so she was constantly buying me 2X and 3X clothes. I can't wear them normally because they fall off of me, but when I was pregnant, they came in handy!

9. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 12 years ago

Depends where you live.  In my area, there weren't too many stores with a good maternity section nearby, so while I did have to get maternity pants, I just bought 1X (=16W) tops instead of maternity.  The tops were cuter, more fun, better selection AND cheaper than maternity tops.  Best of all, they were loose - unlike maternity tops which were clingy to show off the bump... but I didn't want clingy because my butt was also getting larger at the same time, LOL!! As an added bonus, I found it much easier to sell off 1X tops at our yard sale afterward, than it was to sell size S maternity tops!!

1. profile image0

actually my butt getting bigger was the first signs of my pregnancy to outsiders!

ThePracticalMommyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's funny! It happened to me too with both of my pregnancies...

10. Chaotic Chica profile image61
    Chaotic Chicaposted 12 years ago

For my first two pregnancies I was young and insecure and refused to buy maternity except for what I had to for my military uniforms.  Being military I was on a budget and shopped sales and thrift stores.
    For my next two I was more confident and proud of my baby bumps so I gave in to maternity pants which are more comfortable but because of price I still shopped thrift stores, yard sales, and accepted hand me downs.  I wanted people to know that I was pregnant, not fat. 
    My mother went further and sewed her own clothes throughout her pregnancy with me.  This way she knew everything fit on her the way she wanted and she was able to have something unique to her.

ThePracticalMommyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like what you said about your mom. I wish I had that talent!

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)