Question for those who write Amazon or product reviews type of hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (25 posts)
  1. profile image0
    cookingdivaposted 12 years ago

I had a couple hubs about gifts which was already published and accepted months ago. Now these hubs have became an issue due to new HP changes.

I had individual amazon capsule (one product each) total 6 with big write up. Totaly words for the over 1000 words.

I took out the all amazon capsules and made only one amazon capsule with same amount of wordings and resubmitted it. It is saying substandard now, what does that mean?

I have read and re-read the rules changes and not sure why it is the problem, I generally do not write many product reviews hubs so I might be missing something?

While I wait for busy HP staff to get back to me, can someone here enlighten me? Or should just take the hub somewhere else?

Thank you.

Pam

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

I'm assuming there's another issue with the hub, then. With 1458 words you should be allowed 29 Amazon products!

Did you link to any affiliate sites or break any other rules not related to the capsule? Double check the warning message on the hub and click on it for further information.

1. profile image0
      cookingdivaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wry,

No affiliated links inside. I am not sure which rules I might have broken, I can double check, it says substandard. Which usually means not long enough right? but that is not the case here.

3. profile image0

Okay here is what I found for meaning of substandard (HP)

"The quality of this Hub does not live up to HubPages' standards. It may be empty or unfinished, poorly formatted (including having a disallowed capsule in the first full width position), contain broken links or videos, or grammar/spelling mistakes that interfere with the readability of the Hub. These factors diminish the value of this Hub to our community."

This hub was published while ago and has comments from other hubbers too. There are no broken links, no videos, no news capsules. Just few text capsules and one amazon capsule with 3 products. I double checked the spelling/grammer and see no issue.

I am stumped, I try to resubmit but it will not let me...

4. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

The Amazon capsule cannot be on top.

1. profile image0
      cookingdivaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WE,

It is not, it is almost at last (just before conclusion text module)

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I took a look at one of your hubs at random, CD.  It was rife with misspelled words, bad grammar, punctuation errors, and missing words in some instances.  Moderators might consider this "low quality."  smile

Edit-Sorry, I was reading the hub and writing the response before Jason posted a reply.

5. profile image0

I see. You had better contact HubPages directly:

http://hubpages.com/contact_us/

6. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

cookingdiva - I looked and there is some awkward phrasing/grammar. I would read through those Hubs and make some tweaks, and you should be fine. smile

7. profile image0

From what I have seen - and I did edit one hub "pro bono" at some point several months ago - I would tend to agree.

8. profile image0

Thanks for the tips Jason, WE, Wry. Will do.

9. profile image0

Anybody who voices an opinion here, and who hasn't done so already (I have), will have to edit one hub pro bono.

Our own, or one of hers, WE?  lol

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you edit one of your own hubs, and that benefits the public more than editing one of hers, then so be it.

Well honestly, I do not feel qualified to edit another person's hubs, WE.  I worry about my own hubs bad enough.  smile 

I might be able to help with some of the grammar and spelling problems, but I don't trust myself to do much more than that.  My education is too meager for me to feel confident in editing the work of others.  smile

1. profile image0

Randy Godwin, I didn't intend for you to take me seriously. I'm sure you will be fine. Cookingdiva is resourceful, and she will find a solution.

Thanks WE!  No problem!  I would be glad to help anyone here if I could be of service to them.  I just don't have your ability to edit other writer's work with confidence.  smile

1. profile image0

Thanks for your good intentions. I used to say that someone's work is "good enough for HubPages." With the way the standards have gone up, there is frankly too much work to be edited. Unless HubPages created some kind of a sponsored program, I think each Hubber will just have to look out for themselves. There are a few proof-readers on HubPages, who charge very modest fees for this kind of work.

I agree with you, WE.  The standards here have been raised and I quite agree with most of them if they make this site look better to searchers and Google.  But as you say, there is a lot of work to be done by all of us. smile  Thanks for your input too!

10. Howard S. profile image89
    Howard S.posted 12 years ago

Cookingdiva: I spot-checked your two HubNugget nominations. I am amazed at the creativity, knowledge and attention to detail that you bring to your hubs. You are doing some things correctly that many hubbers could learn from (like relevant links). The grammar, as has been pointed out, is similar to what I heard when living in Asia for twenty years. I say this not to cause you to "lose face," but to encourage you to continue developing. You would learn much from having a native speaker of English edit your hubs. Even one of mediocre competence could get you past the majority of your problems.

To the Hub community I say that it is unfortunate that many prize-winning hubs have grammatical errors. It encourages winners to think they are excellent in every way. Cookingdiva clearly won on content and formatting alone, and then came up baffled with grammar errors. I've seen this before.

Finally, and just to meet the standard WE has laid down: I have edited hubs pro bono. I have had offers to do so go without reply. And I look up to WE's track record with awe.

11. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

I want to affirm the positive steps being taken to raise the standards on HubPages.  I know this has been mentioned before (in other threads), but there are numerous Hubbers who offer editing services -- some are pro bono, and some charge a modest fee.

@ Randy Godwin - I wouldn't hold back from helping edit others' work. smile  It's nearly always easier to notice little goofs in other people's writing than in our own.  Besides, there are numerous points of grammar that are matters of individual preference, style, intended audience, etc.  We could probably have half a dozen editors revise the same article, and it would take on half a dozen different forms.  And then they/we would start up some kind of shouting match about whose revision was "correct."

Also... If any HP staff are still following this thread, I would like to make a suggestion here.  That is, in the FAQs where the definition of "substandard" is explained - http://hubpages.com/faq/#substandard - would it be possible to add a note to the effect that Hubbers whose work needs editing can contact the staff for the names of Hubbers who are willing to provide editing services?

I mean by that, that the FAQs would not name any names, but would simply mention that the services are available and that names are available upon request?

An alternative possibility would be for someone to write a Hub naming and linking to Hubbers who make that kind of offer.  And that Hub could be mentioned in the FAQs, perhaps?

Reactions and/or suggestions, anyone?

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Aficionada!  I am able to help with some facets of editing, just not all of them.  smile

12. profile image0

Howard S, thanks for your kind words. It is admirable that you have offered some "pro bono" editing of hubs.

Aficionada, I agree with your proposal concerning the FAQs. As far as I am concerned, potentially valuable material goes to waste when hubs are unpublished as "substandard" due to poor grammar and various trivial errors. The idea of writing a hub about those offering proofreading services is also a good one.

In addition, I believe that more could be done. It would be interesting if HubPages were to consider granting a reasonable "grace period" for flagged hubs, provided the Hubber is willing to work with a proofreader and/or other experienced person to ensure that the hub comes into compliance.

1. Howard S. profile image89
      Howard S.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Two hubs list authors and proofreaders. One is a sequel to the other. Many of these are probably better writers than editors, but this is a good place to start. I just submitted my name. WE probably should too.
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Writers-For-Hire
      http://hubpages.com/hub/More-Writers-for-Hire

13. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Well.... Randy, I think we all - or rather, "we-most" - tend to specialize to some degree.  I know that the best editors do well in every area of editing, but most of us are not counted in their number.

WE, I really like your idea of having a "grace period" for working on a substandard Hub. 

I have mentioned elsewhere that on occasion I have wondered whether to flag a Hub for inadequate language, because it is so good in other respects.  I like the fact that the reasons for flagging are so much more specific now.  But I would still like to have some way to communicate that "I would really like this Hub, if it could be polished to a higher standard!"

Since my previous post, I have started investigating names of Hubbers who are or who may be good as proofreader-editors, so that I can [I hope] make a Hub about them.  If anyone reading this has some names to suggest, please add them here or send them to me in a PM and I'll investigate the services they offer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)