Religious preference shouldn't be a disqualification for President

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (39 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 12 years ago

I recently came across this hub; http://hubpages.com/hub/Romney-Is-No-Option
    which in one major piece of the article uses Mit Romneys religious preference as a disqualifying factor in his presidential bid. I personally do not like Mit Romneys policies, and I would not vote for him based on his advocation for socialized medicine (among other reasons). regardless of my position on the issue, I think it is blatant discrimination to do this.
    It isn't about shooting the messenger, it is about perpetuating falsehoods about the beliefs of others. I would like to quote Mike Otterson, and ask the same to CJV123
    "Who decides, that one religion is acceptable and another “false and dangerous”? Do you? Does the church that you attend? Since you aren’t calling for Mormons to be legally barred from the highest office in the land, is your idea just to effectively marginalize Mormons and make it impossible for them to run for office? Do you feel the same way about other faiths that are different from yours? Catholics, perhaps? Isn’t there something called Article VI, a constitutional provision that forbids a religious test for political office? “…No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.” What does that mean – what has it ever meant – if it doesn’t apply in a case like this?
    What it seems you would like me and six million other Mormons in the U.S. to do is concede a fundamental right granted to all Americans because we don’t fit within your definition of what is theologically acceptable. Fortunately, that’s not what the Constitution says, and it’s not what America teaches. I should hope that I can sit one of my grandchildren on my knee and tell them that in our religiously diverse society they are as good as anyone else, and that they will be judged by the fruits of their lives and not by discriminatory interpretations of their faith.
    For whoever might be elected, I expect the judgment that this nation and history will eventually render about him, or her, will have little to do with where they worshipped on the Sabbath. It will have much to do with their grasp of economics, of foreign policy, of education and health care, of their skills as commander in chief. It will likely reflect how they responded to crises, their core values and ability to unite and rally the American people."

1. Evolution Guy profile image59
      Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. Religion causes nothing but conflict. Good for you. LOLOLOLO

Religionists. What can you do? *shrugs*

2. Jeff Berndt profile image72
      Jeff Berndtposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For once, I agree with you. I'll even go one further, and say that "I expect the judgment that this nation and history will eventually render about him, or her, will have little to do with where [or whether] they worshipped on the Sabbath."

1. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, as long as a politician upholds the constitution, and isn't a freaking commie, I could care less what he or she believes, provided they do not infringe on the rights of the people.

3. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Onusonus:

The title of your thread is:

"Religious preference shouldn't be a disqualification for President"

What do ya think the chances are of even being considered for a presidential position, if one doesn't believe in a "superman-in-the-sky" and is overt in communicating his disbelief?

Should that be a "disqualification" for being Pres.?

Qwark

1. profile image0

As I said to Jeff, as long as a politician upholds the constitution, and isn't a freaking commie, I could care less what he or she believes, provided they do not infringe on the rights of the people.

1. qwark profile image59

...that's not what I asked Onusonus.

Thanks for offering your feelings...smile:

What's the answer to my question?

Qwark

1. profile image0

I thought that was a pretty clear answer, "Should that be a "disqualification" for being Pres.?"
            No. Better?

1. qwark profile image59

Onusonus:
              Thanks.
              Ya answered one question.
              I asked 2.
              How about the other?
              Qwark

1. profile image0

Sorry I didn't realize I was trial.
                Now lets see, you said; "What do ya think the chances are of even being considered for a presidential position, if one doesn't believe in a "superman-in-the-sky" and is overt in communicating his disbelief?"
                I give up, what are the chances?

1. qwark profile image59

lol

I ask politely with a "thanks: included and I get attitude?

Forget I asked. tch tch

I think my point was made without your response. hmm

Qwark

1. profile image0

Yeah, "Super man in the sky" That's real polite.

2. TMMason profile image61
                    TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually. I think their chances would be pretty good. America does not hold ones beliefs against them, we just want you to stick to the Constitution. Something most politicians these days do not understand.

2. TMMason profile image61
              TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't have said it better myslf, Onu.

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I'll agree with your title. It shouldn't have any factor on whether or not someone can be President. That happens to be one of the biggest problem as it stands presently....too many people voting based on religious view, instead of what is right.

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

agree for me also, good job.

3. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

Agreed.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So, you would vote for a Muslim if he was the best choice?

4. Mandrake_1975 profile image86
    Mandrake_1975posted 12 years ago

I'm not sure what you are saying.  Are you saying private individuals should not allow their own beliefs concerning the beliefs of a candidate to aid in determining whether or not they will elect that candidate, or are you talking about government tests of religion for political office?  The two are very different, so I'm seeking clarification.

On a personal level I would never vote for someone who believes they were hatched from test tubes by space aliens or that they were going to one day rule their own little solar system because frankly I believe those people are either nuts or have issues of ego, and they are incapable of making good decisions.  Both of those examples are beliefs from two religions, btw.

As far as government tests of religion to hold public office...I do not agree with that although there is a long history of government tests concerning belief in a Creator (in several states atheists are not allowed to hold public office), to which I say, "who am I to judge the Founders?"  If they believed atheists are poor choices for public office they must have had a good reason.  Since atheism is not a religion, I might suppose that perhaps such laws were tests of philosophical sanity rather than religion.

My point is that you can't very well separate personal beliefs and your perspective concerning the beliefs of others from the way you choose to vote if you have any personal convictions at all.

1. profile image0

Well let me ask you something, I work on nuclear submarines, and I fall into one of your little categories, so do you think I am mentally capable of doing my job? Do you think I should be fired or perhaps put away in some safer line of work so I am not a danger to society?
      Perhaps Mormons and scientologists shouldn't be allowed to be chemists, or electricians, because they aren't mentally capable of doing that either. I mean would you want someone who believed they were hatched from an egg to be messing with high voltage equipment either would you, let alone being given the right to vote.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Sure you can separate it to the extent that people don't have to be like you to run for office.  I vote for Christians all the time, if a guy thought he was created by alien overlords (rather than deity overlords) but he could do the job he was going for, I'd vote for him.

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I don't see the belief one was created by aliens as an kookier than the belief one is created by god.  IMHO so long as they are rational, good at their job, and their belief won't make them hurt people, I genuinely don't care.  I doubt an alien believer is any more likely to want to hurt people than a fundamentalist Christian with some weird end times ideas.

1. profile image0

I think most people have a belief that can be construed as strange or unusual to others. Your point is exactly right, rarely do spiritual beliefs hinder people's ability to be effective and productive members of society.
      I know that there is a large diversity of people with differing religious backgrounds in office right now and they are perfectly capable of doing their jobs, including presidents like JFK, Nixon, and Obama. I can't think of a single thing about any of these peoples religious backgrounds that has hindered their ability to be leaders of this nation.

7. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

Long as they aren't freaking Vulture Capitalists--I'm all for them too.

And you didn't answer UW...
    In fact, I'll bet many would be the same...subsitute "Muslim" for "Mormon", and your attitude would change.

1. profile image0

UW directed her question to TMMason, not me. And I believe Obama used to be a Muslim, Isn't he the president? It shouldn't be a factor, substitute Muslim for Jew, or Baha'i, Hindu, Buddhist, Whatever.

1. lovemychris profile image77
        lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe Romney to be crook. Cause I say it--guess it makes it so. No matter what he himself has to say on the matter, huh?

Glad to hear you don't have religious predjudice...even though you take it upon yourself to tell someone what they believe....

1. profile image0

Вы говорите по английски?

8. Hugh Williamson profile image75
    Hugh Williamsonposted 12 years ago

A candidate's religion, or lack of one, isn't an issue unless he/she are influenced by it in their making decisions.

You have to be able to believe that decisions are being based on facts and not on someone's personal beliefs.

1. profile image0

Absolutely.

9. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

And if America hated Muslims and Blacks so much, Obama would not be president. And there would not be blacks and Muslims throughout our govts. The facts, speak louder than you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)