How do you...?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

This is not a How-To question, but rather a sort of informal survey.

1 - How do you yourself navigate on [EDIT: "away from"] web pages you read?  Do you click off the page through an ad; do you use the back button; or do you click through a link?

I myself never click through ads.  It never even occurred to me to do that, before I read about it on HubPages.

2 - How do you search for topics of interest to you?  Do you use Google, Yahoo!, AOL, Bing, or other?  Do you allow "suggestions" or are you irritated by them?  Do you ever use the "related" suggestions on a search page?

3 - How do you react to Likes, Shares and Suggestions from your friends on social media sites?  Do you automatically check them out?  Does it depend primarily on whether the topic interests you?  Does it depend primarily on the "hook" of the article or video that is Liked?  Does it depend primarily on who suggested it?

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I either close the tab I opened to view it or click on another bookmarked page to go to.
      Depends on what I'm searching for.
      I have two toolbars installed, one is Yahoo and one is Google.
      Yes.
      No.
      It depends on if it interests me.
      No.
      Yes.
      No.
      No.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

1 - I never click an ad unless I am genuinely interested in buying the produce.  I leave by going to where I want to go next by the easiest method (bookmark, link etc)

2 - Almost always Google

3 - I don't use social networking recommendation systems very much at all. I hate having them effect my search results.

3. leahlefler profile image96
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

1- It depends on what I'm reading and what the ad is for. If the ad is something that I've been looking for, then I'll click - but only if it is really relevant to what I've been searching for. I usually use the back button to get back to the original page (unless the ad opens up in a new window).

2- Almost always Google.

3- I only check out links shared by friends if it appeals to me. I never really check out the products that say "Bob McBobkins likes Entemann's!" Sometimes I'll "like" an advertisement because it is part of a contest and I have a delusional hope that maybe I'll win something (g).

4. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 12 years ago

1. I will click on an ad if it interests me. I don't believe for a second that nobody here ever clicks on an ad.  Yes, we train ourselves not to click on ads here on HP because it can have an adverse affect on our accounts. But on sites that we do not have a stake in, I see no reason not to click on an ad that peaks your interest.

2. Primarily Google, but occasionally I will use Bing or Yahoo to compare SERP's

3.  I will follow likes and shares of my real life friends or family members but those that appear from contacts I rarely interact with, I don't even consider them.

Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I understand what you are saying about an ad that piques our interest, but I honestly rarely click on ads anywhere, period.  Exceptionally rarely.  I know that I am not a typical consumer, and I am interested in knowing just how atypical I am.  smile

But my question was not exactly what you have responded to. I was and am curious about whether people use ad-clicking (elsewhere, not on HP) as a method of leaving a page. Some people may open ads in a different window, for example.

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
        FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

1. no I don't use ads for this purpose.  Instead, I click on my profile, or my homepage .  On other sites I will simply click on my home to get to Google.

2. Primarily, I use Google, although I belong to clubs on Yahoogroups, so I occasionally use Yahoo.

3. I rarely use these sites, but it depends entirely on the topic.

5. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 12 years ago

To be clear, I never click on ads here on HP.  I will sometimes click on an ad that will take me to another page. It really doesn't bother me if it opens in a new tab or not since closing a tab is just a click away.

When I click on an ad it's because of 2 things. First, I've received all that I think I can from the content on the page I was viewing. Second, an ad that is serving on that page piques my interest and I'm ready to navigate away. 

If there is no ad that piques my interest then I find another exit, possibly from an archived page if the author or the content I'm leaving merits deeper investigation.  For the most part though, I just click on the 'home' tab on my browser which is set to Google.

Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I myself understood that, and I agree that it's important to be crystal clear for the sake of anyone who may not have caught on to that yet.  Thanks!

Wow, and here's another new thing that I had no idea about!  {Note:  I see the little house icon now.  I may try that in future.}  I didn't even know this was a possibility - although I do on very rare occasions use the Google logo on the Google toolbar.

I think my most commonly used navigation tool is the address bar memory.  I just scroll to whatever page I need and click.

6. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I always open in a new tab. Over 90% of the time, I leave by closing the tab. Occasionally I will follow through on a link. I very, very rarely click on an ad.

If I see something interesting in an ad, I will usually google the item/topic and see what comes up for it in a standard search rather than click on the ad straight away. The reason is that I do not trust ads to give me the best information about anything.

7. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

I'm enjoying reading these responses, even those I haven't replied to individually.

@Cagsil - In my toolbar and on my home page I have search boxes for several search engines, but I use one SE more than all the others.  That's really what interests me - which SE people actually use, not which ones they have available to use.

Also, I didn't realize that "Do you allow 'suggestions' or are you irritated by them?" promoted a yes-or-no response.  lol  It sounds like the kind of response my Dad frequently gave jokingly.

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't just use one search more often than another. wink I usually alternate using them.

Your questions- do you allow suggestion, which I do. And, YES, I am usually irritated by the suggestions offered, but variety is always better.

So, YES was my answer to both.

8. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

With the way I operate, I shouldn't even be on the Internet  big_smile

I use a kind of "Always go back to Square 1, and muddle my way myself" approach.  I don't know...    I just like to find things on my own.   Although in the "rest of life" I'm efficient and organized, online I prefer to be a muddler.   hmm

Anyway, I never click on ads (I shouldn't say that in public, right?).  If I'm going to shop I go right to where I want to shop and start looking.   I either close a window or else use the back button (to get me back to that Square 1, so I can start some new thing from scratch  lol).  I guess it has something to do with my not be willing to be "led astray" from whatever it is I'm "on a quest" for.   Besides, I just prefer to filter out anything not "in my sites", because I don't think I'd know where to draw the line if I didn't do that.

If I do click on an information-type link (found in an article), I'll make sure I go right back where I came from, before I do anything else.  As for stuff people send me, I ignore it.  Again, I like to find stuff that interests me on my own.  Other people's idea of what I might be interested in is usually wrong (and if not completely wrong, it's wrong for me at the moment - and I'm not going to store up a bunch of stuff to go looking at, for no good reason - because, again, I prefer to start clean and from scratch, and go find stuff myself.  smile  )  (As I said, I don't belong on the Internet.   hmm  )

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)