What is the australian government thinking?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. icewave5 profile image60
    icewave5posted 14 years ago

The Government has announced it will establish a new company that will invest up to $43 billion over eight years to build and operate a National Broadband Network delivering superfast broadband to Australian homes and workplaces.

To turn its vision into action the Government will immediately:

* establish a company to build and operate the network and make an initial investment of $4.7 billion in the network
        * commence an implementation study to determine the company's operating arrangements, detailed network design and ways to attract private sector investment
        * fast-track negotiations with the Tasmanian Government, as suggested by the Panel of Experts, to build upon its National Broadband Network proposal to begin the rollout of a FTTP network and next generation wireless services in Tasmania as early as July
        * implement measures to address backhaul 'blackspots' through the timely rollout of fibre optic transmission links connecting cities, major regional centres and rural towns - delivering improvements to telecommunication services in the short term
        * progress legislative changes that will govern the national broadband network company and facilitate the rollout of FTTP networks, including requiring use of fibre optic technology in future greenfield developments, and
        * commence a consultative process on necessary changes to the existing telecommunications regulatory regime.

The Government terminated the Request for Proposals (RFP) process on 7 April 2009, on the basis of advice from the independent Panel of Experts that none of the national proposals offered value for money. The Panel noted the rapid deterioration of the global economy had a significant impact on the process.

$43 billion in optical fibres for faster internet, getting speeds of up to 100megabyts/second? Is it really worth it, seems like a waste of money. What are your thoughts, could the $43 billion be better spent? $43 billion is a lot of money in Australian terms since it only has a population of 22 million.

2. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

Watch this, this is what they are thinking. Seriously, watch it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcU4t6zRAKg

~thranax~

3. ajcor profile image61
    ajcorposted 14 years ago

do you think the front might fall off?

4. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Internet = new religion. Mindless crap to keep the masses occupied and distracted.

TV worked for a while, now we need to move on. There are similar plans in the US and UK.

5. Jewels profile image83
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

Telstra has a monopoly in Australia and its offer is not in the interests of the Australian public.  PM Rudd, I felt is using foresight to ensure Australia is brought into the 21st Century and keeps abreast of technology, otherwise we are going to lose allot of business and end up a third world country.

I'm not sure what the problem is with this.  Australia is sick to the stomach with Telstra, we pay through the nose for poor service and a substandard product.  What do you think is a better option?

1. ajcor profile image61
      ajcorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you Jewels - it seems to me that whatever plan I choose from telstra it is always somehow wrong,overpriced and is in overkill mode for my somewhat modest requirements -  and the advice you receive seems to be financially geared to the bonus the person selling you the plan will receive! unless you are lucky to get some one honest who is actually thinking of you and not their pocket or indeed telstra's . And as for the share fiasco what a debacle that was.... just for the mix...

1. Jewels profile image83
        Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, scoundrels (nice word for it).  I have no choice at the moment but to use them.  I have to have a line in order to get online.  Wireless network is substandard where I am so is not an option.  And if you want fast broadband you pay high prices for it.

6. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Yea I used for Telstra for years when I was in NZ,before they hit the scene it was Telecom who had the monopoly ( greedy fat cats).
    I never understood why the bigger moguls never moved in ( like they did with many other businesses)from the USA and Japan etc.
    Im guessing it was pure politics ( isnt it always).
    The irony is students are encouraged to excel in IT and a while back chanced to be chatting from a guy who worked at IBM ( here in USA)and his opinion was Kiwi and Aussie Programmers and Tecnicians are scooped up for employement for their skills and work ethics so go figure....Mr Rudd and Mr Keys....make Broadband affordable and efficent now!

1. Jewels profile image83
      Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lots of our whizz kids go overseas.  It's to our detriment seriously.  It's called the brain drain.  So that's one part of this issue.  Rudd knows our future depends on top level IT communication.

Australians need to know we are getting screwed in a few categories.  We pay more for food because of lack of competition compared to US and EU countries, same with basic necessities including clothing.

The Rudd government can fund this and create allot of jobs, then sell it off as they've done with utilities.  I just hope it's done properly and we all benefit from it, not just the fat cats.

7. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Yea and the cats get bigger and meaner
    Reminds me of that song ? who sang it ( can hear it in my head)

Welcome to the Jungle..

p.s Yes it is serious ,my son was part of the brain drain ,clever wee techie he was, then got homesick and now works for another greedy Corporate firm ( Electricity).
    I dont blame him ,moneys not everything but damn what are some of our leaders thinking?? or are they even doing that much.

8. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Every nation deserves its own government. Whatever you allow your government to get away with - it will...

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great Quote ,true

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)