Do you know a way to help my little sister getting her grades up ?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. chanroth profile image48
    chanrothposted 12 years ago

My sister is in 4th grade and I tutor her, not me alone but other after school tutors as well. Her teacher is Cambodian and she help my sister a lot. But my sister is still getting low test score. Her problem is English and Math, but every time when I start teaching her or other tutors...she start talking about her friends. Right after school she put her homework away, turn the TV on and start singing...She could remember every lyric in the song she sing but she doesn't remember her English assignment or Math. I have no idea what is wrong with her. Is she having learning disability or something? She even bring bad attitude home from school. I don't know where the attitude and wording came from but it is all slang and rude.

1. Barbara Kay profile image72
      Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if this will help, but use what you can in everyday life. My son is a math genius and we started by counting silverware at the table. Then I started making him compare prices at the grocery store figuring out which had more by ounces.

If you think hard enough, you can come up with something. Sing English words or rules etc.

I haven't been beyond bribing my grandkids with M&M's when they got the right multiplication answer from flash cards. Don't overdue this idea though because of all the sugar.

2. wayseeker profile image86
      wayseekerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

chanroth,

If you have not already done so, I highly suggest contacting the teacher and going in with her for a conference.  While I know this can be scary, I have never known a teacher who would not be receptive to a parent or guardian coming in to try to solve problems.  If you're seeing it from home, the teacher is guaranteed to know about it.  The teacher may be able to give you ways of seeing the problem that you had not considered before, leading to potential solutions.

If she loves music, you can check out these sites (I found them through a quick google search on "math songs" and "reading songs":

http://www.songsforteaching.com/index.html

http://www.thelearningpad.net/id86.html

There are tons of resources, both pain and free, for using music to teach reading and math concepts. 

In the end, the most important thing is not to give up.  Keep up with her no matter how grumpy she gets--eventually she will see you're trying to help.

Best of luck!

wayseeker

3. Just For Fun profile image81
      Just For Funposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not an educator or parent, but I noticed in school that the kids who don't perform well sometimes think of themselves as stupid and give up too quickly. I would make sure to compliment her on the problems she gets right to build her confidence. If she only solves the first half of a problem, say something like

"Good, see, you do understand this. Now just bring the number over and subtract X"

Again, I'm not an expert but it might be worth a try.

2. NathanielZhu profile image66
    NathanielZhuposted 12 years ago

The problem here is that your sister doesn't want to study.
    She's just like my sister.
    I painstakingly study during my high school years for more than 7 hours a day and she barely does it at all.

If your sister doesn't want to study, you have you try to convince to her the benefits of studying and education otherwise, she'll NEVER do well.

This was like me during 7th - 10th grade. I was a depressed christian. I saw education as useless. I got a GPA of 2.5 in my freshman year and 2.8 in my sophomore year. I blamed myself for being stupid, but in reality, it was because I didn't study and I COULDN'T get myself to no matter how much I wanted to. In my Jr. and Sr. Year, I found the importance of education and so I got a 3.95 GPA in my Jr. and 3.8GPA in my Sr. Year.

The key here is: MOTIVATION and it doesn't currently seem like your sister has any.

3. chanroth profile image48

Hi Barbara, I have tried that with my sister. She understand it today and tomorrow she forget all of it. I don't have a child of my own, so I don't know much about children, but is this part of learning disability or she's just not paying attention?

4. wayseeker profile image86
    wayseekerposted 12 years ago

Chanroth,

Since you brought up learning disabilities--guardians can go to the school and specifically request testing for a child.  They will consider the request, do a child study, and, if the teachers feel it may be a concern, they will do the testing which is designed to determine if there is a problem.  If there is no problem, or the teachers feel this is not the issue, they should give you information and support in trying to solve whatever the issues are.  These are all federal mandates, so if she's going to a descent school, the teachers should be happy to provide this support.

Once again, my best to you--and you should be proud of the fact that you are willing to invest this kind of time into your sister--if only there were more kids out there with support like this!

wayseeker

5. chanroth profile image48

@ nathanieIZhu, I was thinking about the same too...but if she's not motivated into learning why is she crying and hitting herself in the head when she can't solve a problem. It made me sad too seeing my sister like this. 

@wayseeker, thank you for a valuable information. My older sister said its too early in her school year to talk to the teacher about it, but she been having these kind of problem since 3rd grade.

1. wayseeker profile image86
      wayseekerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Teachers notice this kind of thing almost immediately.  Get on it right away.  That's what I'd love to see in my own classroom with a kid in this situation. 

Best,

wayseeker

6. RealHousewife profile image68
    RealHousewifeposted 12 years ago

Maybe you could try different flash card games - my kids love the trivia cards and I know they make lots of math variations that do not seem like work - more like games.  Also - my kids love the workbooks you can get for these subjects from Walmart - they are very cheap but effective. 

I would be very very nice when she is rude and say, "sweetie - you are being disrespectful.  Television in a privilege and reward - you may watch tv after we finish studying/homework/whatever and not until then.  You must be firm and make no allowances until she follows this routine.  Maybe give a favorite snack while studying too.......good luck and good for you for looking for help when you need it:)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)