Another content thief

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (57 posts)
  1. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

On looking for scraped material ranking higher than my hubs, I found this site - live link not given - he has a lot of copied content there. Check yours isn't.

hxxp://most-popular-articles.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-to-optimize-blogger-blog.html

1. Peggy W profile image96
      Peggy Wposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Izzy,

I keep trying this link to no avail.
      hxxp://most-popular-articles.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-to-optimize-blogger-blog.html

Is there another way to find out if our hubs are being copied?  Why is not HubPages finding the copied hubs and notifying us?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Change the xx in hxxp to tt, Peggy.

2. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Peggy, if you use Chrome just highlight a block of text in one of your hubs, right click, select search in Google and it will bring back results for that block of text.

Hopefully your hub will be at the top of the list with no other exact matches. However, you will soon see if your hub has been copied as Google bolds the copied text, but be prepared to be depressed as it happens a lot!

1. Richieb799 profile image77
          Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hasn't Edweirdo got a duplicate content tool for finding content thieves? I signed up but I don't check it as often as I should

1. brakel2 profile image74
            brakel2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought he gave it up at the end of May. I received a notice.

2. viryabo profile image94
            viryaboposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I used his service. It was very good, but he has stopped its operations. I even got a refund from him when he 'closed that shop'.

But i was sad he stopped.

2. dredcuan profile image92
      dredcuanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Looks like your article was deleted already.  I can't see any result with your link.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Your content?

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That was mine I linked. He did link back to me but without live links so that's not much use. But he has Ryankett's stuff and loads of others there.

1. Richieb799 profile image77
        Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Its pretty bad even if he has linked back, he shouldn't copy entire articles! I'm just checking his blog for mine

2. profile image0
      PJ_Deneenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wesman,

Your King Snake article is right on the front page.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WOW!  Thanks!  I see that - word for word and picture for picture copy of my stuff!

So . . .can we get a. . .how do we report that site?

3. Michael Willis profile image67
    Michael Willisposted 12 years ago

If it is yours, report it to Google. I have had no problems so far getting article removed from Blogger. They were pretty quick with response.

1. IzzyM profile image86

How do I report that to google? I have a blogger account myself obviously but where do I report it?

4. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

Copied hubs on this site:

http://stephaniehenkel.hubpages.com/hub … -Bluebirds

Wesman they got one of yours:

http://wesmantoddshaw.hubpages.com/hub/ … -Rat-Snake

http://cat-r.hubpages.com/hub/The-World … mal-Rescue

Looks like they have wandered around HP and helped themselves?

They are placing a source on the bottom of the articles, but it is not a proper link?

Hey, how do I find my copied link on blogger?

1. IzzyM profile image86

hxxp://most-popular-articles.blogspot.com/2011/08/king-snakes.html?utm_source=BP_recent

Hey Izzy - yeah, I found that - but where's a link or where to we go to report it or file those DMCA complaints, etc?

1. IzzyM profile image86

Thank you!  I'm on it!

1. IzzyM profile image86

Yeah I'd asked Michael up above, but I was just being lazy. It didn't take long to find the correct form and I lodged one myself.

Company name:

Full legal name of the copyright holder you represent (e.g., if you are a legal agent, etc.): *

How do I answer those questions?

1. IzzyM profile image86

For company name I put in my username, and I am the copyright holder, as you are for yours.

I got a complaint filled now.  I just put "Hubpages.com" - I'll use my profile url next time, I guess.

I had a problem at first with my digital signature, I had to take the "Todd" out was all.

I thank you all for the help there.

5. CMHypno profile image83

Thanks for finding this Izzy. Even copied one on how to raise your hubscore - trouble is it is ranking above the original hub!

http://philplasma.hubpages.com/hub/How- … y-hubscore

1. IzzyM profile image86

Yes my stolen article there is ranking above my hub too.

1. brakel2 profile image74
        brakel2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Izzy I think I found a stolen article that is in Chinese of your recent technology highlighted article. If you search with your keywords, you may find it.I hate to link to it, but I think it is safe. The webpage site has a translation tool.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Yes I found the Chinese site yesterday and it was linked to some university. I fired an email off to their admin and got an apology and assurance the article would be removed. I'll give them a couple of days before I send a DMCA.

6. CMHypno profile image83

Seems to like mangoes - but those articles seem to have been lifted from elsewhere!

7. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

Google is very quick to removes copied content on Blogger blogs. The last time I filed one it was gone within a day...

1. IzzyM profile image86

When I was searching on how to contact Google over this, I came across a question and answer session on Blogger Help about how someone recently has stolen a load of blogs. When the blogger tried to access their own blogs they were locked out, but could clearly see their blogs on the web under a different username!

Action was taken very swiftly and the interloper was kicked off and the blogs returned to their rightful owners (turns out the thief had used the same email address in all of them).

That's taking content theft a bit too far!

I've got an idea of who is behind this - but I can't prove it.

If you look at my Hubpages "King Snake" article at the bottom of the comments there is a hubpages profile that left me a compliment on it. . . .but look at the profile, it's sort of a spam or thief looking profile.

1. kmackey32 profile image64
          kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I went over and left a nice post for the thief. I hate theifs....

:-)

Yeah - now that I know how to fill out the DMCA form I'm going to sometimes look for stolen content.

The article of mine that was stole was one of my very best articles.

If he'd have put a LIVE link at the top of the article to my original I'd have not been so mad.  I hope with all the awareness of this site that the whole site is taken down, and the account deleted/banned.

2. IzzyM profile image86

Well that same person didn't comment on my hub that was stolen. I think the thief is from Pakistan.(something he said on his blog).

Lots of Indian and Packistan hub thieves around.  It's bad.

AWESOME!!!

8. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Besides filling out the DMCA report there's a way Google has for people to report "attack sites" (those believed to be using scrapers etc.).  I can't go find the link right now, but I've used it.

9. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I had another look at his blog, and it is all hubbers work he has stolen and many times he did not put a link in at all. Edweirdo, Kathryn Vercillo and many others are his victims. I didn't check them all, but I'd advise everyone to go look for their own stuff.

Thanks for commenting kmackey, I added another of my own smile

10. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 12 years ago

Copy and paste the link in browser. That's what I did

11. galleryofgrace profile image71
    galleryofgraceposted 12 years ago

If you click on the "create link" icon at the bottom of the articles you are allowed to click into your google account and create a link to the article.
    Hope they get them down fast as that's a clear way for other thieves to take them.

12. galleryofgrace profile image71
    galleryofgraceposted 12 years ago

It is connected to the HowHub. There is a link on the right side of the page. It is from Pakistan and 100% illegal.

13. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

its still up and I didn't see any of mine for now....I did see many hubbers. they have a heading of free article directory...free with other unsuspecting writers that is!

14. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 12 years ago

I think that all you have to do is right click on their Google ad and it will give you the option to turn them into  Adsense anyways. Once they have their adsense account taken away, they won't be so excited about copying.

1. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol Right right....

15. Dardia profile image60
    Dardiaposted 12 years ago

How do you go about finding out if you have had stolen articles?

1. puter_dr profile image92
      puter_drposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That tip about browsing your hub with chrome, then selecting a section of text, right clicking and searching google for that text worked for me.
      I found 106 copies of my top hub. Arrgghh!

1. Stacie L profile image88
        Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

you're saying that 106 of your hubs are on the net..or on that site?
        wow,at least they like your work! lol

1. puter_dr profile image92
          puter_drposted 12 years agoin reply to this

On the net. I actually have nothing on that one site.

In checking a few others last night, I only found a couple of others that lifted portions of my hubs.

2. IzzyM profile image86

That is a nightmare. Just 2 or 3 copies of my work has me pulling my hair out, but over 100?

2. IzzyM profile image86

As well as the Google Chrome right-click technique outlined above, you can take any of your hub titles, especially longer ones, and put them into a Google search to see what comes up.

Scrapers very seldom bother changing the title of the articles they steal.

Google Panda was supposed to address this issue, but I see they have not done a very good job of it sad

1. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What always amuses me in a grim sort of way is when they also copy the 'Copyright CMHYpno.....' line that I always put at the bottom of all my hubs.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Well, they would if they can't read never mind write anything in English!

2. viryabo profile image94
        viryaboposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Google seemed more concerned about slapping us around the face, than seeking/fishing out thieves.

16. Richieb799 profile image77
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I just looked and it said this page no longer exists, so I think those complaints did the trick! I had a look but I couldn't find my stuff but I'm glad people are looking out because I haven't had time. I appreciate the good community here at Hubpages.

1. IzzyM profile image86

Excellent that was fast work smile

Edit: Just this minute got an email from Google to say the offending blog or page on the blog has been removed.

Edit again: his blog is still there with others' stolen content.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)