Writing artilcles for Suite101.com

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Jlbowden profile image85
    Jlbowdenposted 12 years ago

So far I have been faithful in writing exclusively for HP alone. But has any other hubbers out there heard of the writing site, Suite101.com? I was considering signing up at this site as well. However I do not believe that there payout is as good as HP. And in addition it appears that they could be a bit more demanding in terms of articles you write for them. You also have to apply to this site and get accepted by the editorial staff, who also check your articles before they are given the green flag to get read. Any feedback here would be appreciated.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Join Info Barrel - the spam free platform where authors must submit ten good articles to prove that they can write before they can just up and publish something.

<snipped>

Info Barrel gives 75/25 Adsense splits in your favor - which is better than the HP 60/40 split.

Jlbowdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wes:

Thank you for your additional feedback in reference to alternate sites to write for. I will also look into info barrel.

Jl

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

I think Uninvited Writer used to write there.  From what I've heard, they take ownership of your work, and pay less than HubPages for the privilege.  Doesn't make sense to me.

There are other revenue-sharing sites out there where you keep the rights to your work, like HubPages:  Infobarrel, Xobba, Excerptz, ThisisFreelance, PubWages, to name a few. 

I'm not suggesting you switch to another site but it does make sense to spread your articles around, rather than having all your eggs in one basket.  If you link thoughtfully between related articles on the different sites, you can get some useful promotion out of it, too.

3. profile image56
    easymoneymakingposted 12 years ago

why is it that some poeple do not take congnisant effect befor they jump into business for a man to stant and advertise his product u we know that he is a certain man that made up his mind so do not judge cus advertisement make them to recongnise him  thanks

4. thooghun profile image94
    thooghunposted 12 years ago

While my application was accepted there, as Marisa correctly pointed out, their copyright policy is a little ambiguous. Essentially, you -- never-mind, in their words:

"Who owns the copyright on my articles?
    You do! The copyright to articles on Suite101 always remains with the writer. However, contractually, you grant Suite101.com the exclusive rights to your articles for one year from the date of publication. After one year, Suite101.com has perpetual non-exclusive rights to your articles, meaning you can post the same material elsewhere (but it will remain on Suite101). If you publish elsewhere, please credit Suite101.com as the original publisher."

The interactive editing process is quite helpful however, I have no idea about rankings and earnings because I haven't really given it that much of a shot based on their worrisome legal aspects.

1. PaulaHenry1 profile image65
      PaulaHenry1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

hmmmm- Pubwages? Hubpages? just a little too similiar. Think they are trying to duplicate another site? smile

1. thooghun profile image94
        thooghunposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pubwages is genius! "Where you earn wages for what you publish". Wow, I had no idea. I think Pubwages more accurately reflects what our financial ambitions should be tongue

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, right.  That's almost identical to Helium's terms and conditions.  It's true that you hold the copyright, but in practice, that's meaningless.

What they're saying is, you can never, ever delete your article from Suite101.  That cuts you out from selling it ever again, because most buyers want to know the article isn't already published elsewhere.  These days, selling first rights is pretty much equivalent to selling the copyright.

5. Jlbowden profile image85

Hello Marissa and to the others on HP.

Thank you for your feedback in reference to suite101, you've convinced me to stay right where I am the happiest. I thought there was something about suite101 that I didn't care for.

Jlbowden

6. Jlbowden profile image85

Hello Todd:

Thank you for the additional info. on this site as well. I will give it a try and while I am in this forum, what do think of Squidoo as an alternate site to publish articles on? At a recent HP meetup on Long Island,N.Y. our HP team captain mentioned this site.  Thanks for all of your feedback so far.

Jl

I have a Squido account - but I've just not used it much at all.  I think I published one lens that was a backlink to a hub.

I've basically just decided to use Hubpages as my primary site and Info Barrel as my secondary - but possibly my future primary site.

I like the HP ad program for steady trickles of pennies, and I like the way that I have over five hundred followers here.  Hubpages gives you a superior platform for amazon sales - but I don't make much with amazon.

Info Barrel is growing - but still VERY small compared to Hubpages - there are literally ZERO spam profiles there, and they are deleted INSTANTLY when they do slip through.

Info Barrel also offers Chikita adverts - which is another decent revenue stream.

I believe that Info Barrel will eventually have more authority than hubpages simply because no sort of poor quality or spam is tolerated AT ALL there.

1. sofs profile image77
        sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with all that you say about info barrel. I should seriously get to writing more content there.. what I like best about IB is that there are no spam profiles but when you articles is featured you get spammed left , right and center smile The have managed to keep the quality standards of the site up by reviewing articles before they get posted by newbies.

Exactly!

I've never had a featured article there - and I think that subconsciously I do not do my best work there.  The reason for that is that I've got five hundred plus followers HERE - and so here I get my work spread around a lot more.

I use IB to supplement my HP articles by putting relevant IB links into my hubs.

I'm going to have to START doing top tier articles there.  I've done two articles on IB that were as good or better than any of my hubs. . . .but they just don't get the traffic that they would were they hubs!

Still, I'm thinking long term with all of this - and who knows when the next panda ganda pandemonium will strike, and what will happen then?

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Squidoo has no feature for followers. I find that to be a problem as it is hard to get traffic to new lenses. They used to have a fan club of some sort before I started writing there, but for some reason they removed that. I have also found that they constantly make changes and install new code without testing. So things keep breaking. Their platform is not as stable as HP is.

I'm still in experimental mode with Squidoo. The only reason why I started there is because I read that they were not impacted by Panda, while HP had a 50% drop. However, I can say that my traffic is back to pre-Panda, except for some unknown daily fluctuations.

Jlbowdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Glenn:

You know I've been thinking about, not only what you have been saying about squidoo for example, but what the other hub page authors have also been saying about the other sites. I am led to believe that as the ole saying goes-"The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence." Or better yet-"There is no place like home!" As Dorothy from the wizard of Oz used to say.

Jl

7. Glen619 profile image61
    Glen619posted 12 years ago

I am currently working both on Squidoo and HubPages and find them both good but i prefer HubPages more. I tried writing for suite101 soemtime back but my application was rejected, i just discovered about infobarrel from the conversation you guys were having here big_smile

8. Jlbowden profile image85

Glen:

Thank you for your additional feedback in reference to my prior post. And for the extra input about Squidoo. I also prefer the Hubpages community and find it very addicting. Plan on looking into Info barrel as well like you did. Take care.

Jl

9. Helena Ricketts profile image91
    Helena Rickettsposted 12 years ago

I didn't like Squidoo at all but haven't tried Suite 101 or the others mentioned here.  Will have to check them out.  Especially since I'm new to all this!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)