History major looking to complete the obscurity with Engl Lit minor

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Capable Woman profile image61
    Capable Womanposted 12 years ago

Oh, and I'm 42 years old. Am I doomed? Thanks for your input.

1. KBowden profile image58
      KBowdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have had my BA in history for a year, now.  My minor was in sociology.  I'm unemployed, I haven't heard back on even one of my sixty-seven resumes I've posted in the last six months, and not one of the hundred-some-odd agents or fifteen publishers I've contacted in the last seven years has thought twice about saying no.

You're right, though. History is amazing, and very fun to learn.  I'm starting to think they should have added at the end of the degree description, "...but nobody will ever hire you! Dun dun dunnnn!"

2. Greg Sage profile image40
      Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Depends on your entrepreneurial spirit.  Sure, academia may be the only way to go as an employee, but if you're the be your own boss kind, perhaps you can open up an English Lit repair shop.

Hey, I literally dropped everything... and I mean everything... to chase my one in a million shot dream at the age of 38, so let's not talk about "doomed."

3. profile image0
      writeronlineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh sorry, I misunderstood the title. I thought it was a personal ad, in the style of The London Review of Books.... lol. I was keen to see what kind of offers you'd received smile

Good luck with your plans though, 42's way too young to be talking 'doomed'. Challenged?...maybe.

4. theseattlegirl profile image80
      theseattlegirlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Look, I'm an English major, and I'm the ONLY PERSON in my set of friends and family with good, well-paying, steady work.

My friends and family have business degrees, psychology degrees (including a few M.A.'s in said topic areas), and engineering degrees.

And *I* am the one with a job. I'll tell you why: we know how to write, we know how to think, we know how to read, we know how to listen, and we can research the hell out of anything and fake it, if need be.

When I worked as marketing manager for an auto detailer, I had no clue about cars, let alone cleaning them. By the time I left, I knew more than the owner.

That's the power of research degrees like English and History.

2. L.K. Egooh profile image59
    L.K. Egoohposted 12 years ago

Leaning never ends. It's awesome that you are furthering your education.

1. Capable Woman profile image61
      Capable Womanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's generally what I think too, so thanks for that. I think most people my age who return to school have a specific goal or career change in mind... I just love history and lit and learning. Cheers.

3. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Grate idia! I shooda dunn summa that lernin stuff! lol

4. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I'm 57 and am hoping I may be accepted for a distance study MA in Celtic Studies.

This has no bearing whatever on my work, but I would really enjoy the topics offered and the challenge.

5. eapratte profile image60
    eapratteposted 12 years ago

I personally love having 40+ year-olds in my classes. I'm 20 and a first year MA student, and although I have a great deal of life experience and insight for my age, I appreciate what the 40-plussers bring to class because they've got life experience I lack and they're typically comfortable sharing it. I definitely am following my academic dreams - My BA is in English and my MA will be in psychology with a transpersonal psych focus. I'm concerned about jobs too, but I feel like if I be the best I can possibly be and I network and market myself right, I'll be fine. Whatever degree you get, it really seems to come down to networking and marketing yourself nowadays to get a job. My research isn't mainstream, but I know the market for it and I'm learning how to work it. So, I don't think you're doomed if you want that history BA. If you know what you want to do with it, that's even better. The English BA is a pretty close cousin to the history BA, and all the people I've known who didn't know what to do with their English BA had a harder time finding jobs. Having a specialization or concentration in a specific topic in history might do you good too.

@WriteAngled, Celtic Studies sounds so awesome!

Good luck to you both!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)