How much do you care about what others think about you?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Beth Pipe profile image72
    Beth Pipeposted 12 years ago

How much do you care about what others think about you?

Let's assume you're a decent human being.  Do you care what complete strangers think about what you wear, what you read, how your hair is, or whether you're in a relationship or not?

2. Innuentendre profile image69
    Innuentendreposted 12 years ago

I think less is more sometimes. I mean it's easy to over-expose yourself via social media.

3. jacqui2011 profile image79
    jacqui2011posted 12 years ago

I wish I didn't, but I do worry about what people think of me. I'm not a very confident person and always worry about whether people will like me or how they think I look. I'm not sure if its the age that I am (46) because I seem to be worse now than I ever was. (The menopause has a lot to answer for!!)

4. Judi Bee profile image90
    Judi Beeposted 12 years ago

I am the opposite to jacqui2011 - the older I get, the less I care.  I used to be very worried about other people's opinions of the outer me and take a great deal of time over my appearance, but now I look a complete mess half the time (dog walking has a lot to answer for!).

5. otsipaku profile image81
    otsipakuposted 12 years ago

I think the same as Judi Bee - the older I get, the less I care.

6. VeronicaFarkas profile image67
    VeronicaFarkasposted 12 years ago

Complete strangers? Not unless I'm confronted about anything that you listed. It's a waste of energy and time, in my opinion. =]

I do, however, tend to care most about what the people closest to me think. I try hard not to, but it's natural to care and worry.

7. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 12 years ago

We can safely assume I'm a decent human being, because I AM.  Complete strangers?  Absolutely not......why on earth would anyone CARE what complete strangers think of what one wears, their hair.....or WHETHER IN A RELATIONSHIP??!!   To say nothing of strangers....some friends don't even need to know about my personal relationships.  Really, it's enough to be concerned what out loved ones are thinking and feeling.  No time or energy to frazzle over strangers!!

8. 6hotfingers3 profile image60
    6hotfingers3posted 12 years ago

It matters a lot what people think about me. But on the other hand, other people's opinions do not handicap me. If they are in agreement with me, that is good. if they are not in agreement with me, so be it. I try to be respectful of people and their feelings but I do not allow others to impose their personal expectations on me. They can not live my life for me and I can not live up to their expectations for me.

9. lburmaster profile image72
    lburmasterposted 12 years ago

Oh, so you are assuming I'm not decent? lol. I'm only teasing. I honestly don't care. If they think I'm insane, they stay away. That is all that matters to me. I like being alone in my home without seeing any other people for days. I'm safe here in my lair smile

10. NiaLee profile image60
    NiaLeeposted 12 years ago

I do care as long as it is relevant. I don't care about what somebody who wants me no good and is not fair thinks about me...I don't really care about what other people think about me, though if it has a negative consequence on my life or my family, I am ready to handle things in a more nuanced way. Like I used to say a lot of things I think, I just stay away from people who can't stand differences and remain quiet or just passive when those situations occur, because... I REALLY DON'T SEE THE POINT TO TORTURE MYSELf to fit somebody else's mold!'The day I decided that I would go till the end of my being without caring so much about people who have been proven false and not good, I was set free. I am at peace and what they think sometimes come to my mind and then, it is gone because it is not important. The opinion of somebody who cares, is good and open matters to me, these are the kind of people I have met on Hub and thank you all for being love and peace, inspiration and more...

11. xethonxq profile image67
    xethonxqposted 12 years ago

It totally depends on who the other person is to me. If it's someone I care about it matters a lot. If it's someone I want to get to know, but don't know very well, it matters. If it's a rude person or someone I dislike, it really doesn't matter. If it's a stranger that I have no feeling one way or another about I still care about how I act and present myself, but ultimately if they don't appear to like me for whatever reason I don't get all bent out of shape about it. I can let it go and move on.

12. profile image0
    mickelarrposted 12 years ago

I like to think I don't care, but ultimately I guess I do. I work in a very visable position in a building with several hundred people. A lot of people know who I am, but I don't nescessarily know them. I have to make some tough decisions that aren't always popular. So when I smile and say hello to someone I really don't know well enough to have an opinion of, I'm always wondering if they're cursing me behind my back when I walk away

:-)

Aside from those kinds of stranger, I guess I don't care much what other strangers think.

13. whoisbid profile image62
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

Everyone worries about what people think about them. If they didn't then we would all be walking around naked.

14. Robert Erich profile image76
    Robert Erichposted 12 years ago

I strive to care about others, but not care what they think of me. It's great to be liked, but you can't worry about it all the time - there are people that will always dislike you. It's hard, but I try not to let strangers effect my mood.

15. Jacob Harding profile image68
    Jacob Hardingposted 12 years ago

I constantly tell myself I don't care what others think of me, but I believe deep down that what others think is the root of my anxiety.  It comes and goes truthfully, I am more inclined to care about someone's opinion who I've met once or twice than a complete stranger.

16. Matt Clooney profile image57
    Matt Clooneyposted 12 years ago

I think that there are very few people that truely don't care. As human beings we are built to care what the group thinks. I also think that any insecurities that we have as teenagers stay with us for a long, long time.

17. phoenixarizona profile image68
    phoenixarizonaposted 12 years ago

Nope not at all. I turn up at my childrens school in jeans, an old band t shirt that is often covered in paint, I don't have make up on or my hair especially done.
    But the children come out of class or in to with their hair beautifully done, their clothes are clean and shoes are polished.
    As for what I read, the music I listen to or my relationship status, those topics are only relevant to me because it's what I like. If others feel they can judge me on that; then their views are very sadly skewed.

18. parentsreview profile image68
    parentsreviewposted 12 years ago

It depends upon the circumstance.  On a day-to-day basis I rarely think about it, but occasionally, if something is going on I might consider it.  I've never considered being in a relationship to determine anything, but for some reason being a father I feel should have an effect on how people view me, because, "Hey, I'm responsible now!" see the back of my car, full of toys and cheezits and a carseat.  "I can be counted on!"  But most of the time, I don't have time to think about it.

19. stariswhoiam profile image60
    stariswhoiamposted 12 years ago

Well I'd have to care to some extent if I were to be a good person. I would want to give happiness to others and be loyal to them, so to that extent I care about what others think.
    If a person dislikes me for a bad reason, I don't care at all about what they think. If a person thinks I have a personality trait and I don't have that personality trait, I would know who I am and not care what they think. If a person has a viewpoint that's completely bull (like being OVERLY critical of another person) I wouldn't care, because why should I care if what they think isn't true?
    At the end of the day life is what it is, and what one should really care about is what they think of themself. That, and caring about what other people think in the sense that  one wouldn't want to say something mean to hurt another person's feelings.

20. sarah68 profile image59
    sarah68posted 12 years ago

i say i dont care, but on the inside all you want is attention and to be noticed.

21. Ramsa1 profile image62
    Ramsa1posted 12 years ago

Like Judi Bee, I am older now and don't care what anyone thinks about me. I used to care a lot about what others thought of me and tried to be so nice to everyone. I have concluded that I can't please everyone, I'm getting older, so why not please myself? And if some people don't like it...too bad!

22. onegoodwoman profile image69
    onegoodwomanposted 12 years ago

What I wear.............job appropiate clothing/ jeans
    What I read.......every single interesting thing
    My hair............thick, curly, shoulder lenght of a NATURAL hair color........no pinks or blues

My personal status.........married to the SAME man for 30 years

In these things............your opinion does not matter

NO...............not even of how I identify myself with my job
    Not even, how you think of my vehicle
    No..........you do not even to like my dog ( frankly, I perfer, that he does not 'like' you

Yes, I care, did I present myself, in a professional, well behaved, accepted manner........Do you find me on a professional level, as " approachable" or " reasonable" or even " capable"....................YES, I care............

Now, please excuse me, while I go and feed my livestock.

23. THEHuG5 profile image59
    THEHuG5posted 12 years ago

I wish I could say no but I don't think their is anyone who doesn't care, at least a little bit, about what others think. If someone is a person that I care about or who is in my life on a regular basis then yes, I care what they think.

As for complete strangers, not so much. I mean I guess I don't want them to think negatively of me but I'm not gonna go home and cry in my pillow if some random doesn't like me.

All in all if I want to do something or look a certain way or be with a certain person I'm gonna do it regardless of what people think. Yes I care to some degree but I don't let what other people think stop me from doing what I ultimately want to do.

24. Jay S profile image60
    Jay Sposted 12 years ago

I really don't care at all what others think of me. If I was meant to have lots of friends, I would have been given a lot nicer personality. I will try to remain free to myself and make decisions whatever way I see fit. My decisions will not be based on how others feel about a certain subject.

25. ChristFanatic profile image60
    ChristFanaticposted 12 years ago

The only thing that matters is what God thinks of us!  Of course its natural to worry sometimes what people think about us, but if you find yourself worrying about that a lot, talk to God about it!  1 Peter 5:7....smile

26. weightlossnstuff profile image57
    weightlossnstuffposted 12 years ago

I agree with Judi Bee - - the older I get the less I care what people think of me. I have God in my life and great people around me who care for and love me the way I am. It's called being accepted. And if people out there do not want to accept me for who and what I am, they can just keep on walking. The only being that can judge me is God.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)