Whaddup with the "Level" assigned to commenters?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Sally's Trove profile image77
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

I looked around the forums and HP Blog for info on this and found nothing...just went to answer comments on my Hubs, and I'm seeing commenters highlighted in yellow with a designation of a level (5, 7, what, 1 out of 10?) What's this about?

2. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Sigh...

more meaningless ranking and competitiveness.

This may be the final push for me to remove comment capsules from all my hubs.

Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm inclined not to remove comment capsules...comments can add so much richness to a topic. However, I understand what you are saying.

About this "ranking and competitiveness," I agree and I'd like to hear from HP what they think is the worth of this.

This ranking pisses me off. There's already an accolade or two that shows how "super" a commenter is on HP. Why have this ranking?

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I'm only level 4 so i don't get to be yellow sad

I agree, kind of useless if you ask me.

As far as I'm concerned, you are a 10...every one of your words carries weight and value. You should be a red...forget yellow.

4. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

It might also put some people off from leaving comments with the implication being that comments by higher ranks are more valuable. Of course, the fact some of these higher ranks might be people who've spent hours leaving vacuous comments on hubs they've never read, so as to increase their hubber score, will probably be glossed over.

I couldn't agree with you more. This is asinine. Unless HP comes up with a good reason for it, my thumbs remain pointing down.

Was there an announcement of this?

5. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I just got a comment from a yellow commenter that was totally clueless. Needless to say, that critter is now gone!

6. paradigmsearch profile image61

I don't normally poke a stick at HP, but this looks like it's one of those times...smile

I don't either, paradigmsearch. So I'm with you on this. Two sticks poked (and more, I'm sure).

7. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/82167

Sorry it got pushed out before I got the chance to prepare a post about it.

Jason, I'm glad you are on top of this forum post. I'm anxiously awaiting a justification for this. It makes no sense to me, and also, I found it offensive, as others have, too. There's already a ranking system (accolades) for those who leave valuable comments. When I see this stuff in yellow, I'm totally put off. I know other sites out there have a way of indicating members' value to their sites by showing how many comments members may have made, but here on HP, that data is already there in the accolades; maybe you should make it not optional to show those accolades.

1. Edweirdo profile image83
        Edweirdoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I checked this while signed out of HP and I can see the Levels and the color coding.

If we were voting on this feature, I'd give it a thumbs down sad

That's at least four thumbs down.

1. TinaAtHome profile image67
            TinaAtHomeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Two more thumbs down from me. I don't want other people's writing highlighted in bright yellow on my hubs. If the feature stays I'm deleting all bright yellow comments.

8. Sally's Trove profile image77
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

And to whom are these levels visible? To members of HP only, or to the public at large? (Haven't done that testing...maybe you folks have...I'm tired.)

9. Nellieanna profile image69
    Nellieannaposted 12 years ago

What really puzzles me is that some of the commenters are designated "hub author"!!  When I saw someone on my hub comments so designated on which I was merely one of the levels of 'commenter", I just knew something was really amiss!  So I checked several more of my hubs and found similar designations of someone else as "hub author" on them.  When I came across one hub comment thread on one of my hubs having TWO people designated "hub author", it became curiouser and curiouser, but at least it took two to replace me as the author of my hub!  haha! 

More determined to get to the bottom of it, I checked on some other people's hubs and their comments threads and noticed similar situations.  On some there was no one even designated "hub author" but in every case, my commentator level was consistent.  So that much is clarified, but not what makes some hubbers "hub author" designation!  Aren't we all hub authors if we post our work? 

Many of those so designated "hub author" are active commenters too, so the possibility that they only write hubs but don't comment on others' doesn't resolve the mystery! 

I have to say that the rather intense yellow color for some comment levels is distracting at best and also annoying.  Is any of this really of value?

Thanks for any sensible explanation.

You summed it up beautifully.

10. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

I hereby join the chorus of those who rarely have a beef with HP.
    But this is,in a word, moronic.
    The levels mean nothing to anyone reading them.
    The color "striping" effect in the comments on a hub is distracting, to say the least.
    This is one change that I honestly can't imagine growing on me. sad

11. princess g profile image60
    princess gposted 12 years ago

This is offensive and idiotic. Get rid of this feature.

12. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

You can check the official thread for an update on this. The yellow/blue background treatment has been replaced.

13. paradigmsearch profile image61

The colors are already gone! smile smile smile

HP loves us!!! smile smile smile

Edit: Damn! Beat me by 50 seconds. lol

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
      Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yay! Yippee!
      Best news I've had all day.
      (Yes, I really SHOULD get a life, I know).
      Thanks, Jason and HP!!!

14. 2uesday profile image67
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

If this remains - commentator levels will surely cause as much confusion and upset as Hub scores and profile scores do now; with some Hubbers being upset by the 'perceived' unfairness of them.

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
      Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Commenting levels are quite a bit more straightforward in terms of how they're calculated. If you want a higher level, you should read and comment on more Hubs. smile

1. 2uesday profile image67
        2uesdayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you -

Thank goodness for that (easier to understand) it is always a pity to see people getting concerned about numbers on profiles etc.

I think the green author box looks much better than the first colorful layout - I thought I might need to get my sun glasses to read the comments smile

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
          Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, 2uesday. smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+

I see no problem with it, they're simply numbers. It does look better without the shaded posts.

15. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

I keep all my accolades private, so I thought I'd check out the comment I posted to someone else's hub a few weeks ago to see whether my "commmenter level" (urgh) was visible. I'm glad to say it wasn't.

So there you have it folks. If you don't want your commenter level plastered all over the place for everyone to see, keep your accolades private like I do.

To WriteAngled: I can't stand all these ranks and badges and levels either. It's like being in the sodding Brownies.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've got something in my pocket, it belongs across my face.
      I keep it very close at hand, in a most convienient place.
      I'm sure you couldn't guess it if you guessed a long, long while.
      So I'll take it out and put it on, it's a Great Big Brownie Smile!

I've got something on my picture, plastered on my face
      It doesn't motivate me, 'cos I don't want to win no race!
      I'm sure you'll easily guess it, this object I ignore:
      it's the fickle and capricious, pointless Hubber score.

[first verse courtesy of Brownies everywhere]

(My accolades are hidden too, btw)

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The way mine keep wandering off, maybe I should do the same...

2. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Love it lol

I was never a Brownie - my mum tried to get me to join but I was too mulish and wanted to stay at home with my dolls/books/Lego.

3. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good verse.   Cool, well-rhymed poetry always awes me.  smile

4. Sally's Trove profile image77

I keep mine hidden, too. It seemed like a good idea at the start, and it's a good idea now. LOVE the verse.

16. Danette Watt profile image81
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

I agree with many of the comments earlier - these little boxes indicating hub author and commenter level are annoying. As WriteAngled and others have pointed out, it encourages a sense of ranking and competitiveness that I don't think is necessary on HP.

17. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

To be fair to HP they are just continuing a great literary tradition, begun by Shakespeare I believe.  His original transcripts for the sitcoms Hamlet and Macbeth were passed round for review by other great authors of the time, and those authors have left comments in the margins.

Wordsworth uses a yellow pen, Blake used red I believe and he was also a level six commenter - which gives you an idea of the calibre of the writer without the tedium of reading any of their poetry crap.

So, some things never change. If there's a way to poke holes in others' contributions for the sake of getting a leg up on another, I guess we learned that a long time ago (with those hand-noted comments, constructive or otherwise). HP is just the electronic version, perhaps masking itself as benefiting the greater (online social) good.

Ranking never replaces constructive criticism.

2. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Blake - tedious poetry crap !!!!!!!!!!!!   you are going straight to literary hell young man !!

How can you call a guy who hammered his condemnation of society into steel plates and sold them to the very people he was criticising tedious !

18. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

Sounds racist to me. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)