What's your favorite Religious-Themed Movie?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

If you wanna know the truth, Religious movies are terribly boring. They really are. But there are some exceptions. Omen, the old one was a classic. Stigmata,just brilliant. Sin Eaters wasn't half bad too. RIP Heath Ledger. Don't even mention Da Vinci Code to me. Props to Tom Hanks and all. He never fails. But what was Ron Howard thinking. He really messed it up. Props to Mel Gibson on Passion of Christ. It was an epoch making project. The Exorcist. Constantine, too.  Yeah, lest I forget, the Series Carnivále just about killed me, though it was short-lived and all. I thought it was a work of genius. So far, these are the ones I can think of, what about you?

1. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mel Gibson on Passion of Christ- loved this movie, cried a lot when the bast..rds torchured Christ. smile

2. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

The Life of Brian is still the funniest movie ever. Not exactly a religious theme but it certainly religion-based.

3. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

"Saints and soldiers." Good stuff!

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Out of available in English - Dogma smile

1. RooBee profile image83
      RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How could I forget this one?! Thank you Misha - this, too, belongs on my top list!

5. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Well, its gotta be "Ten Commandments" because I like old expansive Hollywood epics and I like looking at Charlton Heston w/o a shirt when he was young...Stigmata is cool because it has Gabriel Byrne who has that dark brooding sexy Irish thing going on and is just a terribly good actor...but I don't sound too religious, do I?  wink

6. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

The Trouble With Angels with Hailey Mills.  She plays a teenager prankster at Catholic school with her best friend.  I love the beginning scene when she tricks the nuns into thinking she is named after a famous actress.  Surprisingly, her character decides to become a nun at the end of the movie, which just never seemed to fit for some reason.

7. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

The Exorcist...Your mother sucks.....er well yes!!

What can I say I'm a fan of horrors!

And as a family friendly one I'd say Sister act, whoopie goldberg just cracks me up!!

8. Tom Cornett profile image81
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

History of the world, Part 1.....Mel Brooks. smile

9. RooBee profile image83
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Life of Brian and Meaning of Life- love those Pythons and yes these are haha's, but with more truth than some are willing to admit ("but, how shall we f**k off, messiah?").

My all time fave is JC Superstar. I love it and you cannot change my mind. I will serenade you with some of the score if you like..

Seems to me that through song and comedy, truth pierces right to the core because its okay to mention heavy things that are controversial in a more serious context.

Another reason I really like JC Superstar (and no, its not the hot shirtless guys jumping about in the desert though that is an important element)is that it reminds us that the man himself was not a fan of organized religion.

10. k@ri profile image84
    k@riposted 14 years ago

I was going to say Dogma...great movie!

11. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

All the above plus the 9th gate lol lol

12. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Ben Hur and The Greatest Story Ever Told.

13. tksensei profile image61
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

The Blues Brothers

14. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

I remember watching the 10 commandments at work, when I was on a 10 hour shift.  Well the residents were watching it, I was just in and out of the room..... I swear it went on the whole shift, nobody really liked it that much, but no one turned it off either.... Some parts of it I really liked I have to say

15. profile image0
    mdawson17posted 14 years ago

I think my most favorite movies have been the left behind series!
    mdawson17

16. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 14 years ago

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat - the musical (for the music, not the plot)

Monty Python and the Search For The Holy Grail (plus the aforementioned other MP ones)

The Matrix (of course it's religious-themed - are you KIDDING?)

The Name Of The Rose (although the book was 1000 times better)

The Crucible (based on the Arthur Miller play about the Salem witchcraft trials)

Star Wars (Episode 4 - the original movie)

Stargate (van Daniken was right ... sort of ...)

The Blues Brothers ("we're on a mission from God")

The Mission (again, music and cinematography more than plot)

Serenity (and the whole Firefly series, actually)

Even something like Sliding Doors or Me Myself I raises interesting questions about free will vs destiny.

There are so many ...

Jenny

P.S. I haven't seen it yet, but I suspect Merlin might rate in there, too.

17. DennisBarker profile image60
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

I thought Dogma was a good movie and Life of Brian has to be on the list.

18. usmanali81 profile image60
    usmanali81posted 14 years ago

There are a list of great movies, by great i exactly mean GREAT

RELIGIOUS
    The Message
    Lion of the Desert
    Lawrance of Arabia
    Children of Heaven
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Da Vinci Code
    Ben Hur
    Ten Commandments

UNRELIGIOUS
    The Edge
    Gladiator
    Legend of Fall

19. Kudlit profile image62
    Kudlitposted 14 years ago

I saw "Knowing" starring Nicholas Cage last week. I liked it. Formulaic like most Hollywood movies are,  but I liked it. smile

20. Capable Woman profile image59
    Capable Womanposted 14 years ago

PI

or Mindwalk.

Mindwalk was more about science than religion but Liv Ullman's physicist character borders on religious ecstasy when she discusses systems theory or "theory of everything".

Not having anymore than a laymens understanding of the science, I can still see God in that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)