Will you murder, steal or commit adultery?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image0
    jomineposted 12 years ago

I've heard people saying if it wasn't for religion, people would do all sorts of criminal activities.
    Will you do any of these, if there is no god or religion?
    If you don't, why you think others will do all these?
    If you think you would, your personality is wrong, then why you judge others by your yardstick? Do you think nobody can be better than you?

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I could commit murder.

1. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dunno habee......... ya never can be sure!

Some Australian tourist may come lookin fer vittles and go a raidin yer pantry!

That might make you break out the ole 12 gauge. smile or one of us may catch up with the person responsible for the dump in our profile scores these last few days! lol

2. DoubleScorpion profile image78
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Other than defending My country, my family or myself, I would have no reason to kill anyone. I have no reason to steal, as everything needed to live can be provided in nature. As far as adultery, I wouldn't have gotten married if I wasn't interested in settling down with just one woman.

3. Cagsil profile image72
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, people have been deluded into thinking that there would be no moral value put on life without religion.
      There's no god as it is now and I don't do any of those you mention as it is.
      Because for centuries people have been made to think that they MUST answer to a higher authority and fail to realize that the highest authority is self to begin with. This is the hidden truth, people are not allowed to know, because a notion developed long ago says that "chaos would ensue".
      I uphold others to a level or morality(standards) I would hold for myself, which is based on conscience understanding, derived from discerned wisdom(truth).
      It's not based on whether or not someone is better than myself. It's about understanding self and the wisdom(truth) about the best path to live a good life. smile

2. profile image0
    Holmes221bposted 12 years ago

The fact that most people would agree that murder is wrong would suggest that it is not religion which gave these concepts to society, but that it is society which gave them to religion.  There are evolutionary reasons why murder and other immoral acts are fundamentally wrong, and it is simply untrue that without religion, people would have no concept of morality.  In fact when looking at some of the immoral acts that have been committed in the name of religion, such as genocide, misogyny, murder, terrorism, burnings, beheadings, racism, the crusades, wars, the persecution of the Jews, torture etc, then I cannot see where religion may be said to have any claim to morality.  Where religion has done good in the world, such as feeding the poor, providing homes for the homeless etc, this has often been a development of modern times, based upon modern secular ideas of morality and equality.  The ideals of the Enlightenment and democracy have provided religion with a new idea of morality, which is to the benefit of religion and to society at large.

3. R.S. Hutchinson profile image71
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

I will murder your fears
    I will steal your heart
    and ...

I got nothing for the adultery one. smile

RS for President!

4. profile image0
    jomineposted 12 years ago

I wonder why no "believers" reply?

5. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

I would steal and fornicate

6. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 12 years ago

I would only kill if my mistress discovered I'd embezzled from her.

7. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

If I had to commit murder in order to survive,then yes.
    I would have to steal food if I was dying of hunger..
    and I don't care about the third..lol

8. maven101 profile image72
    maven101posted 12 years ago

Would I murder.? Depends on your definition of murder...Is self-defence murder..? Is sniping an enemy combatant in time of war murder..? Is the slaughter of millions in the name of Communism murder..? It depends on your perspective...Someone comes into my house and threatens my family, I'm gonna kill the SOB or die trying...I've killed in combat, sometimes impersonal, and sometimes very personal...I've reconciled myself to that time of survival...

Would I steal..? Yes, if every other option had been exhausted to survive, to  recoup a loss because of fraud or intimidation...

Would I commit adultery..? Only if my wife became disinterested in sex, which happens to some women as they get older...I'm sure the same is true for some women that have husbands that are physically unable or just lack the passion of their youth...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)