(An)Other Pagerank Question(s)

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Okay, I do understand that Pagerank doesn't carry the same importance that it once did, but I can't help but feel delighted when I see several of my Hubs with increasing Google Pagerank!  They are mostly, but not exclusively, the older ones, so I naturally assume that age helps to boost PR.  I think I have also read that PR is only calculated - or rather updated -  periodically.  Is that true? And has there been a rather recent update? How often does the update take place?

Now, according to thisisoli and others, PostRank is what counts now.  I tried to sign up for the Beta phase of testing that, but signup required verification of site ownership.  How does that work for us here?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can only conclude that it doesn't, because one of my websites has a pagerank of 3 and yet it was dumped by Google in the last Panda update - I'm not getting any traffic from Google at all.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Your explicit page rank number may only be updated a few times a year. But other changes in how you rank happen at real time.

Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks -  But, still, I'm not quite sure I understand what other changes in rank you mean.  (That's how out-of-it I am.)  I want to learn all I can understand at this point.

2. Garrett Mickley profile image79
      Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

PageRanks were updated yesterday!

1. thisisoli profile image70
        thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Psycheskinner is right about pagerank updates, Google keeps the actual page rank of your site updated near enough real time (as far as Google has told us).  The toolbar is updated periodically, but it only reflects the actual PR at time of update, your PR will continually change even though you cannot see it.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah.  I got a new url for my best blog and was PR0 officially for six months (until yesterday).  but I still got plenty of Google traffic.

2. Aficionada profile image79

That explains a lot.  I am seeing a whole lot more green on my toolbar today than I have ever seen before and I got a little bit giddy!

This also explains a lot.  I don't perceive any difference in traffic at this point today (not that I would), but I have been seeing some slight, definitely noticeable, improvement over the last week or so.  I'm hoping Panda 2.2 is being nice to me, but I'll keep watching.

Ermmm - any help on the Postrank signup question?

3. Camping with Kids profile image68
    Camping with Kidsposted 12 years ago

Seems illogical that page rank would not count for anything. It may not be as important as it once was, bit it's still a "gradable" parameter that must contain some indicater of value since it is Google that assigns it.

Gus

It is a metric, and if you want you can chase it, but there are much more valuable ways to spend your time.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

It seems currently fashionable to say PR is meaningless ( afew years ago it was fashionable to say it was the only thing that mattered).  PR is pretty much what it has always been, a keyword-free estimate of Google rank based on amount and authority of backlinks. It is what it is.

Thats actually a pretty good summary of PR, I would change authority of backlinks to PR of backlinks, since the PR formulae doesn't take in to account other factors.

But there are bound to be other factors besides backlinks in figuring PR, because I am pretty close to totally devoid of backlinks, and PR is improving on some of my Hubs.

You need a site to install the postrank tracking, I currently have it on TiF, I cannot remember the details of how I installed it, but you may need your own site.  If you do start a site I would definitely get the free version installed. Rand Fishkin loved the tool.

Remember that PageRank is passed internally too, all those internal links in Hubpages add up pretty quickly!

That makes sense, then.  Thanks!

I don't know who Rand Fishkin is, but everything I read about the tool sounded great!  I don't have a site of my own, and it's not likely that I will very soon, although I'm working on some projects that could lead to one.  It's just still above what I know enough about just yet.

But one thing other Hubbers might like to know is that the PostRank tool was developed by Canadians, then bought by Google.  That ought to give it even more prestige here. smile In any case, it sounds great.  Thanks for your information.

EDIT, EDIT!!:  I meant that being developed by Canadians would bring it prestige.  Not being bought by Google - that will bring it money, I should think!

5. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

Nope, it's backlins, and PR value of those backlinks, with a little buffer thrown in.

You can check it out here if you want,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank

Post rank is just a way of measuring some of the social features of your site, which is useful since Social is now very much a part of SEO. 

It is actually quite handy to be able to measure the engagement of articles on your site.

I'm not really questioning you; it just didn't make sense to me.  I guess either the way I checked for backlinks was faulty or else I have a pretty neat "little buffer." big_smile

Yes, I read up on this the other day after I saw one of your comments, and I would like to be a part of the beta testing.  I tried to sign up for it, and it asked me to verify that I am site owner.  I don't own any sites. I only have a couple of HP accounts and a couple of blogs.  Do I use my profile URL to verify? or am I automatically excluded at this point?

6. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

Lol I didn't know they had been bought out by google!

Will watch with interest!

7. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Here's another question:

Just today I have noticed that my Stats page (in My Account) has a higher PR than my Profile page has. Why would that be, if PR is based on links?  Again, not challenging, just trying to understand.  Why would anyone link to my Stats page, of all things?

Would this be a situation in which the "little buffer" plays a major role - perhaps my many pageviews and long time on page?

Incidentally, I did look at the wikipedia article on PageRank - as much as I could realistically try to fathom in one sitting hmm big_smile . Very interesting - some day I may try to understand more of it.  lol

1. anish92 profile image65
      anish92posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am no expert but I think your accounts page is not really uniquely yours!. That is it has the same URL for ALL Hubbers and only depends on who u are signed as. But as I mentioned before, I am not certain.

8. Dawn Conklin profile image68
    Dawn Conklinposted 12 years ago

Pagerank doesn't appear to make as much of a difference now.  One of my blogs is a pagerank 1 and it shows up on google's first page on a few search terms.  Tho I haven't seen as much traffic, but it seems to go in spurts.  Not as many people are searching the topic at the moment it appears from the data.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)