leading www not part of valid user subdomain URL

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (34 posts)
  1. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Going to www.sunforged.hubpages.com leads to (http://www.sunforged.hubpages.com/)

Sorry That User Does Not Exist!

as it will with any username / subdomain PROFILE page

it seems you guys have individual hubs set to resolve for w/wo www. but not profile pages.

Is this intentional? From what I read, average users are still pretty hung up on the whole www. thing and like to stick it in front of everything and even dont believe that sites without it are legit. Dont know if thats true but I was put off for a moment when I was told I didnt exist anymore

Has anyone else tried to access an HP profile page and by default attempted with the www sub in place?

1. lakeerieartists profile image62
      lakeerieartistsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't exist either.  Why not?

sunforgedposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Probably someone skipped an htaccess rule.

Its probably not a huge issue since the majority of our backlinks are still set to old site structure but it is something that could detract from natural links to our profile pages (as they would lead to nowhere)

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me neither.  Funnily enough, I had the exact opposite problem with a friend's website recently.   Turned out it was a setting at GoDaddy in her case.

Sunforged says most readers still use the www - I thought the opposite was true!  Maybe depends on what kind of user you are?

lol, well I have to read about how non savvy users navigate the net. I cant use myself as a case study in this problem.

So.. I dont "say" rather I have read usability studies that find that users still default to the use of www. when writing or even saying a URL .. I do know that most people who speak to me on the phone or in person and want to say a domain name or any url, always seem to say "W" "w" "w" "dot" blah blah dot com , in my experience

So, I wouldnt be surprised that in the rare case that some bloke out there wanted to link to my delightful profile page and didnt directly copy the url ..well, they just might type that www. in ... and then I dont get a backlink or the possible traffic

certainly not a world shattering issue - but I doubt its intentional and is easily corrected

2. Debbie Cook profile image75
      Debbie Cookposted 12 years agoin reply to this

yes and the same thing happened to me.

2. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 12 years ago

I exist smile I am glad I do smile

3. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

For years I got error messages because I'd tried to get to a site I heard referred to just by name and I forgot to include the www. Now I include it all the time when I put in a link manually.

Is this now wrong? If yes, why have they changed the rules again?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

They haven't changed the rules, your domain name should work the same with or without the www.  Sunforged is just pointing out that it doesn't work on HubPages right now, and it's probably just an oversight.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mine doesn't work either. I just checked and my Google profile is linked to http and not www. What is the difference anyway?

There is nothing wrong with not having the www. Your google profile is associated correctly.

www is essentially just a subdomain, sometimes we use www2 or www3 for different parts of a site or like xobba , dont use it at all. But, its usually best practice to make sure that if a user follows convention and types it in that the link will redirect to the correct location.

4. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 12 years ago

I agree with SunForge-I am hung up on the www. - the http seems foreign to me.

IF are subdomains don't exists to us-what does it do to Google?

Must we submit our individual site to Google, Bing, etc....

5. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

Mine works fine.  Like sofs, I'm glad I exist. smile

1. Rosie2010 profile image68
        Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Holy cow!  You're right!  When I googled my subdomain name, I found
        www.rosie2010.hubpages.com, BUT the URL is this

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&sugexp= … mp;bih=645

nope .. thats a search string from google canada I believe

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I was always under the impression that anything with the www. in front of it was on the generalized world wide web and things without it were on private/individual servers, aside from the world wide web.

So, things that don't have a www. in front of naturally, cannot be accessed using the www. in front it.

Then again, my knowledge of the Internet is limited anyways. So, I guess this is an opportunity for me to learn something or not. hmm

here is a decent overview of the matter:

http://wblinks.com/notes/do-we-really-n … typing-www

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay. Thank you Sunforged.

2. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks SF! That was a very interesting link. It also shows me how little I know about being a webmaster!

So come on, HP, can you fix the link?

2. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Www is just a host name.  Anything can be a host name, but something that looks like a host name may or may not be.

The real test is if it has an ip address.

If "pcunix.hubpages.com" has an ip address (and it does) , then it is a host.   If not, it's a domain.

Wikipedia gives a good example with  pmtpa.wikimedia.org and rr.pmtpa.wikimedia.org -  the latter has an ip address, the former does not.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostname

I don't see how www.pcunix.hubpages.com could ever resolve in DNS because the pcunix part DOES  resolve. 

To look up a host., DNS follows the trail - .com to hubpages to pcunix.  There's nowhere else to go..

However - it DOES resolve - which is confusing and very strange..

1. Glenn Stok profile image98
        Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not strange at all. All the URL's under the same domain follow the DNS to the same server. In our case it's the server for hubpages.com.  Then the server has the responsibility for pointing to the proper subdomain under the domain.  Or if it's www then it just goes to the domain itself.

In order not to cause search engines to list web sites under both www.domain.com and domain.com, which would cause a duplicate content issue, smart webmasters create a 301 redirect from one to the other. HubPages has done this. You can try it yourself... Put www.hubpages.com in your browser. You'll see that it resolves to hubpages.com without the www. If you put hubpages.com in your browser, it works too. Both go to hubpages.com.  So there is only one version of HubPages.com, as it should be.

If you try this with other websites, you may find one that hasn't taken care of this important issue. In that case leaving the www off, or putting it on, can actually go to two different home pages, which is bad news and confusing to search engines. But we don't have that problem on HP. They did it right.

As for subdomains, you are right Pcunix. Hubbers need to use the proper URL that points to their subdomain. There is incorrect to have a subdomain with www in front of it. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

1. Pcunix profile image91
          Pcunixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Glenn,  I've been using 301's before most people knew what webpages were :-) 

But did you see those wikimedia,org examples?   That's what makes it confusing. 

But anyway, never mind that.  If it resolves, it can be rewritten , so (as Sunforged said) adding the www should be made to work.  And, as dumb as it is, it probably should, because I see that stubborn "But don't I need www?" all the time myself.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Glenn, I've seen all your answers and I think you're missing the point.

We're not worried about Hubbers typing in the wrong URL.  We're worried about visitors typing in the wrong URL.

You'd be surprised how many people out there believe you must type "www" in front of every website name.  Those people don't know the difference between a domain and a sub-domain (if they even know what "domain" means).  And every time one of those people types in my sub-domain with the "www", I lose a reader and therefore I lose money - and I'm not happy about that!

1. Glenn Stok profile image98
            Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure why you are worried about visitors typing in the wrong URL. See Jason's post. He said it very well. Besides, if you are worried about giving a friend  your URL to manually type in, just give them the correct URL. You can't worry about people who don't type what you tell them to type. You're not going to make money from friends anyway. It's the search engine traffic who are the ones who click ads. Or traffic from other inbound links. And they don't manually type the URL either.

7. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

I've had an issue where a client's site was displayed without the 'www' in Google search before now and people do tend to think something is broken if your suggest they visit 'your.com' for example. HP should probably add this on their to do list!

When they fix it so we can visit 'www.yourname.hubpages.com', there is a feature in Webmaster tools which you can tell Google which address to index next time it crawls.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I've always wondered, do we need to do that?  And if so, which one should we select to be indexed?

8. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

I wonder what the reply rate on the problem and features section of the forum is these days?

Well, to answer myself ... its at 8 weeks and counting smile

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/86908#post1862634

9. MyWebs profile image77
    MyWebsposted 12 years ago

Of course a simple 301 redirect like they already have in place for all of our old hubs will fix this issue. They must have millions of 301's in place already, whats a few hundred thousand more going to hurt?

10. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 12 years ago

8 weeks to one person might only be 2 months to another!

11. Glenn Stok profile image98
    Glenn Stokposted 12 years ago

See my post about this in the other forum where I try to clarify all of this...

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/86908#post1863150

12. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 12 years ago

me too I Don't EXIST either

1. Jason Menayan profile image61
      Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry about it.

It's an odd thing to pretend to get outraged about, even for people who like to (pretend to) get outraged about just about everything about HubPages.

Almost no one is going to go to their browser and type in www.barryrutherford.hubpages.com. Almost all of your traffic is going to come from search engines, directly to your Hubs or your profile page, or from within HubPages. There is no chance of error there.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)